Crios Modern Mexican
2120 P Street NW
Washington, DC 20037Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Crios Modern Mexican
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.criosmodmex.com/
- Phone: 2028228800x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm; Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:00am - 3:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, Mexican, Global, International
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Crios Modern Mexican
We are sisters, Joanne and Julie Liu, and our parents immigrated to the United States over thirty-five years ago and started Jenny's Chinese Restaurant. Through years of hard work and resilience, they created what is now Jenny’s Asian Fusion on the Southwest D.C. waterfront. In 2009, we opened Scion Restaurant. We’ve always had a love for Mexico’s vibrance and dynamic, and especially for its fresh and bold cuisine. With Crios Modern Mexican, we aim to create a welcoming and energetic neighborhood restaurant serving delectable food and drink.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMexican
Crios Modern Mexican - Best Restaurants in Dupont Circle ›
Crios Modern Mexican reviews from OpenTable diners
26 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (14)great for brunch (12)great for lunch (8)great for outdoor dining (6)neighborhood gem (6)kid-friendly (3)special occasion (3)fit for foodies (3)hot spot (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Worst service everOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/10/2014The server actually insulted my son for not liking the tacos that they did not make as ordered.
- Pathetic servicesDoCfoodieDined on 8/3/2014Have been here many times before and really enjoyed the food. A good friend was in town so I suggested Crios as a good place for a bunch of his friends to eat. The service was absolutely terrible. Not only was it slow, it was inconsistent. At first they told us they had no salsa (at Mexican restaurant??) and 15 mins later we had salsa. We asked for more and that took another 15. I could go on about the inefficiencies but the point is, I felt bad for being the one to recommend this place.Special Features:
- Greasy BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014Poor service and greasy food- several items on menu not available.
- BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/27/2014This sunday was my second time having brunch at crios with a fairly large group. Although the server is not my favorite, (we'v had her twice) the food and mimosas definitely outweigh any flaws. I absolutely HATE mexican food.But Crios has the perfect blend of ethnic twists and typical brunch foods we all love. The service is fast and pretty efficient. The crab Benedict is great, egg scramble is awesome and the french toast is crusted and by far the best Ive had in this area thus far. I would recommend this restaurant for an affordable great brunch experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/5/2014The food was delish, drinks were flowing, price was more than reasonable and service was great. Allison was a phenomenal waitress, friendly, attentive and helpful. The brunch crowd was excited about July 4th weekend, and made the experience even better. Def will make this my go to bottom brunch location! Thanks!Special Features:
- Best BottomlessHeyaeeDined on 6/22/2014Second time I've gone here for bottomless brunch, and I regret nothing. Latin American cuisine paired with mimosas is a surprisingly delicious combination, and they do it right.Special Features:
- Hair in my foodCarolVIPDined on 6/20/2014Hair in my quesadilla, which ruined the entire meal for me.
- Great Mexican food & margaritasDinnerwithdaughterDined on 6/17/2014Tuesday's taco special and 1/2 price margarita's made for a great diviner out with my daughter. The salsa that was served at the beginning of the meal was fantastic. I do not live in the area, but I would travel back for some good Mexican food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FoodamsonDined on 5/26/2014Our food was great. The overall appearance of the restaurant was a bit tired and looks like it has been a while since touching up paint, cleaning upholstery in the booths, etc. While our main service provider was very polite, she seemed to have trouble keeping up with the three tables she had. We specifically had to ask for drink refills and flagged down another service staff member to pay our bill after waiting over 15 minutes.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/24/2014Brunch was great... Large portions. Two drinks they had listed on the menu they no longer carried- which also meant no beer on the unlimited brunch drink menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 31 reviews are from the Crios Modern Mexican reviews archive.
- willrun4wineDined on 4/27/2014They know what bottomless brunch means. Not just one mimosa per person per serving, they bring you the entire carafe. Much appreciated, Crios.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor, unprofessional service.streetDined on 4/13/2014Poor, unprofessional service. The food was very bland, greasy, and overpriced.Special Features:
- Yum!DanielDined on 3/30/2014Great mimosas, delicious eggs, tasty carne asada, good service.Special Features:
- Yucca and colorful potatoesaggieDined on 3/23/2014I ordered the Sunrise meal and it was delicious, and offered a lot more than I thought. Portions are bigger than expected, but adds more value. The fried yucca and small colored potatoes as sides for brunch were seasoned with something wonderful. Wait staff were attentive, the ambiance was interesting, and it is within walking distance of Dupont Circle, Kennedy Center, view of the Potomac.Special Features:
- Crios has really good food.Kris10Dined on 3/16/2014Crios has really good food. I love their Mexican brunch and the endless drinks for $13 is amazing!! I would definitely recommend it. P.s. In my experience, if I get there before 11, there hasn't been a wait but if you're worried, you can always make a reservation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service super slow and notOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/14/2014Service super slow and not attentive at all. Tacos were good but tortas were very below average.
- Great guacamole!SnowmomVIPDined on 3/13/2014Better than your typical Mexican spot! We appreciated the chips that were brought to the table by the waitress. Fish tacos were good and the quesadilla a little more predictable. It's a fun casual atmosphere with good food.Special Features:
- Give it a tryfishedDined on 3/1/2014It was our first time at the DuPont Circle restaurant. Our group of 8 had a great time. Food was very good, service was even better. Hard to park, but worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Do not waste your money/timeJessDined on 2/22/2014Subpar Mexican food, terrible service. Good margaritas
- good food but very noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/16/2014could hardly have any conversations as the place is very very loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food at a great priceOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 2/8/2014I went here for my 30th birthday. They were able to easily handle my large party of 14. As far as the food goes, they specialize in a modern take on tex-mex classics. I highly suggest the Dr. Pepper and Chipotle Carnitas. Sounds weird but it works. And more importantly, while the wine list is not very notable, the beer list is one of the best I have seen around town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great brunch spotChrisDined on 2/2/2014Came here for brunch in a group of 4 and had a great experience. Very friendly staff and great, quick service. Bottomless brunch is a great deal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No reservation needed... everUnhappyMargLoverDined on 1/24/2014..Since the restaurant was empty on a Friday night .Upon arrival, the hostess was no where to be found. The ambiance was horrendous, neon lights & with "classic" Mexican paintings. We waited in this cruel time warp and were finally greeted by the most unfriendly, least personable waitress. Whoever made the executive decision to have the staff wear ill fitting aquamarine tshirts should be fired. I ordered the classic margarita, which is difficult to botch, but Crios put their best foot forward and created a metallic tasting drink. My friend ordered a beer & when he said he didn't need a glass, she said she would get fired if she didnt pour it. My burger was decent, but the veggie tacos were described to me as "tasting like wet dog".
- Great brunch and friendly staff!levorotatoryVIPDined on 1/19/2014We were running REALLY late for our brunch because of a perfect storm of inconvenient issues. The staff were a little short on the phone but incredibly friendly and accommodating when we arrived. We were apologetic and they went out of their way to relieve us of our concern, get us seated quickly and get much-needed coffee to the table. The brunch was great, I had the huevos rancheros. Our server offered recommendations and insights about the food that actually felt like his personal opinions and led all of us to excellent choices. The whole experience was exactly what we needed after a very stressful morning to destress and unwind.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good MagaritasGFVegDined on 12/28/2013Nice selection of tasty margaritas. The rest of the menu left a little to be desired. The guacamole was a little spicy for my taste, as was most of the food. I was happy that they had something that I could eat as a gluten free vegan.Special Features:
- Great brunch spot! I had theAPaisleyDined on 12/7/2013Great brunch spot! I had the yucca has with chorizo, and it was delicious! Good mimosa deal and great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was great; just note--theyWhitDCVIPDined on 11/17/2013Food was great; just note--they can only take up to a total of 6 credit cards...so if you have a big group, you should be prepared!Special Features:
- Went for my birthday and hadBirthdaygirlDined on 11/16/2013Went for my birthday and had a great experience. The food was tasty and the drinks went down very easily. It was a relaxed atmosphere and great for large groups.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- InconsistentPent84VIPDined on 10/13/2013We've been to Crios twice for brunch, both times we either had issue with the service or the food. The first occasion we had to wait over a half an hour for our reservation to be seated followed by extremely slow service the entire time we were there, but the food was great. We went back this time and were seated right away, but had to wait half an hour just to get coffee. After that they had already run out of one of the main ingredients for the vegetarian dishes by 12:30.
- It was quiet on a SaturdayOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/7/2013It was quiet on a Saturday which was strange because the food was delicious. The margaritas were less delicious and tasted like they were made with a mix.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Avoid the cevicheOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/7/2013Just so-so. We ate outdoors on a nice evening, very pleasant large benches set on a wide sidewalk so you didn't feel crowded by pedestrians or traffic. Chips and salsa are very good. Giant margaritas probably cause the tequila to get diluted so you taste mostly mixer, not a lot of tequila tasted. Tacos and enchiladas were okay, not fabulous compared to some other DC restaurants. The rockfish ceviche was the big loser....about 80% pico de gallo with a few chunks of fish thrown in. Not even tasty. This was our second trip there...we think we've had enough of the place.Special Features:
- The food was fine and cookedkc27Dined on 8/24/2013The food was fine and cooked very well- beautifully poached eggs and cooked plantains. But nothing was exceptional about it- it felt like something I could have gotten at any other nice Mexican-style restaurant in any major city. Best part was the outdoors seating and reasonable prices. The portions aren't huge though so larger appetites might leave hungry. I wouldn't refuse to go back, but will probably not suggest it in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- atrocious servicedupontdinerDined on 8/17/2013The service at this restaurant is truly appalling. I have gone 3-4 times because it is so close to my apartment and each time we have received mediocre to horrible service from both hostesses and waitstaff. This time, after I told the hostess that we were ready to be seated and our entire party was standing in front of her, she walked away, disappearing for a full 5 minutes, only to return and engage in a conversation with another hostess (who had ignored us this whole time) for another couple of minutes. The place was not crowded or overly busy. I could see our table. It was set and ready. But moreover, she did not communicate with us that there would be any kind of delay and was really just ignoring us entirely.Special Features:
- Loved the brunch we had andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/17/2013Loved the brunch we had and left feeling like we wanted to return soon to try out additional selections on the menu because there were so many- yummy-sounding items. Enjoyed the Beer Week tie-in and free pint glasses. The beer was good. The margaritas were OK, but not the best we'd ever had. Would like more jalapenos in the jalapeno margarita. But the waitress was great and brought more to plop in the drink. Service was outstanding. Plus, any place that allows dogs to sit on its patio/outdoor area is cool by me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great find!!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/12/2013Went to Crios for my birthday and all of us had a fabulous meal. The staff couldn't be friendlier, more accommodating or more efficient. I would highly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good vegan optionskugelDined on 8/4/2013Lots of tasty vegetarian options here that are easily made vegan, staff very agreeable to changes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok, but there is betterMarkoVIPDined on 7/26/2013The food was hit and miss, as well as the service. I think they have potential, but are no there yet. Also, portions are very disappointing for the price.
- Not worth itLaurMVIPDined on 7/25/2013We made a reservation thinking this would be a great way to combine post-conference HH and a casual girls only dinner. The service was on-point and *almost* made up for incredibly bland, lean-cuisineesque food we were served. Everything (appetizers-guac; entrees-seafood enchiladas, shrimp tacos; beef tacos; salads-cobb) weren't even mediocre. Oh, and not to mention, the servings were SUPER small! However, this was somewhat reflected in their price point. All in all, do NOT waste your time with this experience. Most surprising was the fact that it had a decent crowd...what?
- Worth a visitGeckoDined on 7/16/2013Interesting menu, Dr. Pepper Carnitas hard shell tacos were very unique and tasty. Soft shell carne asada tacos were more average. Fun margarita menu; our party enjoyed the Jalapeno, Coconut, and Cucumber varieties. Minor mixup on a coupon I had brought for dinner, but the manager did resolve the problem. Very polite wait staff.Special Features:
- Phenomenal RestaurantEllumulleDined on 7/13/2013Crios is hands down one of my favorite restaurants in DC. The food is delicious and always consistent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.