1475 Western Avenue
Albany, NY 12203Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.creorestaurant.com/
- Phone: 5184828000
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm, Saturday : 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 3:00pm - 9:00pm, Monday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm; Brunch: Sunday 10:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Brian Bowden
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Creo Restaurant
Creo’ is Latin for “to create”. Our menu offers an eclectic mix of Mediterranean and American styles of food served in a comfortable and casual atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
Creo Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Albany ›
Creo Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
47 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (28)special occasion (25)neighborhood gem (17)great for lunch (15)great for outdoor dining (14)romantic (13)good for groups (11)vibrant bar scene (10)hot spot (8)great for brunch (7)late-night find (7)notable wine list (6)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/17/2014another excellent dinner. Service was great. Bread pudding for dessert was awesome. Best cup of coffee in a long time. Will always come back.Special Features:
- glendoraDined on 9/4/2014very much enjoyed a quiet evening on the patio in the final days of summer. Great food and service. Very nice atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tweaks neededprofjaneDined on 8/25/2014Creo offers an uneven dining experience, but with a little effort could increase the quality. My lobster roll was excellent, but the chips with it were awful--cold and tasteless. The music was too loud for us to talk without raising our voices and hardly approprate for a restaurant like Creo. Service was just okay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellence AgainNICKSMOMVIPDined on 8/23/2014Unfortunately, we are only able to visit this fantastic restaurant a few times each year when we bring our son up to college, but it has fast become our absolute favorite in the area! They do it all right…delicious food, great waitstaff and an interior design that makes you feel like you can totally relax and enjoy!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another winner at CreoRLMJLVIPDined on 8/19/2014Our lunch was outstanding from beginning to end. The service was great from entry to finish. All staff were professional, courteous and efficient. Our food was well prepared and nicely presented. Overall, pacing was great. We have been to Creo for both lunch and dinner. This day's lunch experience was as a ever. They maintain a great consistency in execution. They have not disappointed us yet.Special Features:
- Superb diningTryalltherestaurantsDined on 8/17/2014For our 46th wedding anniversary we chose Creo's just about the best restaurant in the Albany area We were not disappointed at all A wonderful dining experienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never a bad mealCozyVIPDined on 8/13/2014We have been going to Creo since it opened...have moved away from the area but when we return we make sure to have dinner there. Food is always excellent and portions are large. Their risotto, lobster Mac and cheese and brussel sprout starter are musts! Staff is always polite and helpful. Only issue is that the noise level...but it is worth it for the food.Special Features:
- Get ready to enjoy!ZmaneaterDined on 8/8/2014The food and service are consistently great over many visits. The grilled edamame is always a hit! Standards and specials are very creative with some comfort standards. VERY gluten friendly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodReturnedagainDined on 7/11/2014Food really good with price to match. Good for special occasion. The noise level is higher than I would choose for a restaurant like this.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Professional PerfectionSawwhetowl2VIPDined on 7/11/2014We were there with a crowd (14) and we could not have had a better experience. The Lobster Mac & Cheese was truly amazing, creamy, lots of lobster and cheesy. The artisan cheeses were superb, and everything was presented beautifully. My meal was wonderful, and so were everyone elses. The drinks were fantastic! The bartender did a great job. Our server was so nice, and pleasant. I only wish we didn't have a family incident which put a damper on the whole evening. I really loved the professional and kind way they handled splitting of the checks, and the wrapping of the leftovers for us. They also did a great job of slicing the cake we had and reboxing it for us. It was a great experience overall, and the management was incredible.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experiencealbanysandyDined on 7/10/2014Everything about our recent dinner here was first rate. Because we had a hearing-impaired person in our group, we asked for a quiet table in advance. Our hostess made mention of this fact and led us to a perfect table. Our server was professional, and best of all, the food was wonderful! One in our group had the steak with blue cheese pudding and raved about it. Two others had the loin of pork which was well-seasoned with wonderful flavors. I also recommend the flourless chocolate cake with the homemade icecream = that is if you have room! The pace was also excellent....we will be back!Special Features:
- To Die ForbobfinkDined on 6/29/2014The wife and I only get to the capital district 3 days a year, for The Old Songs Folk Festival. Sunday night, after the fest is over, we "dine". This year it was Creo, and we couldn't be happier. The chef has a way with seafood. The tuna appetizer was as artful as it was delicious, and the ravioli topped with shrimp and lobster was superb. Though we were a party of 2, the hostess seated us at a four-top, which was much appreciated. Since the wife doesn't drink alcohol, I usually order wine by the glass. I found the wines by the glass list quite complete and the prices reasonable. The Creo coffee topped the evening off just fine. Prices? I can only say the wife and I "dine' -- a lot -- and we've often paid more and enjoyed it less.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Winner!BobbyVIPDined on 6/20/2014We have appreciated the approach that Creo' has taken since opening, with their environmentally friendly mentality. The kitchen is great, with a superb regular menu (naturally) and enticing specials. Recently we hit on both for some excellent seafood options, including lobster bisque and sockeye salmon. Marie was our darling waitress, and she kept an eye on us replenishing drinks when needed, but never hovering. Summer solstice diners were competing for attention, but the staff is plentiful and managers deliver plates when necessary. Easy parking, with stores nearby if you feel a need to accomplish something else before or after eating. Highly recommended. Crisp and professional. Compliments to the chef!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/19/2014Overall the food was very good. The sockeye salmon however was cooked to long and was dry.Special Features:
- aceyduceyDined on 6/18/2014Everything was just fine. Been there several times. I travelled 60 miles to meet friends at Creo who also travelled from other directions many miles to have brunch together.Special Features:
- ceceVIPDined on 6/8/2014we had a beautiful brunch with lovely atmosphere. The restaurant was fairly empty on Sunday brunch but everything was served beautifully and tasted wonderful.Special Features:
- DissappointingAKannenbergDined on 5/24/2014I travel to the Albany area often and had dined at Creo before and have always enjoyed it here so perhaps they were just having an off night but my lobster risotto was so salty I could not eat it. Also our waiter seemed to be distracted - he forgot to advise of the specials, I overheard him arguing (quite loudly) with another server right on the dining room floor and he kept apologizing all night saying he wasn't feeling well which quite frankly after the third time was just annoying.
- The following 640 reviews are from the Creo Restaurant reviews archive.
- InterestingOpenTableDiner2013VIPDined on 5/20/2014I chose Creo because it was Mediterranean. While the restaurant did not serve the kind of Mediterranean dished I am accustomed to, I did find the food flavorful and truly interesting. I started with the Chick Peas Frito. They were tasty but after a few spoonfuls, the spices became a bit overwhelming. I had the Lobster risotto for my entree. It was very tasty but in a few spots, it was too salty. From the greeter to the busboys, everyone was professional, smiling and really made me feel welcome. The server came by jusst often enough and I never saw the bottom of my glass or had to wait for anything.Special Features:
- glendoraDined on 5/17/2014Consistently excellent food. We have gone several times and have not been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very goodkanddDined on 4/26/2014We had a fine English waiter. One member of our party was quite rude to him. He kept his composure and continued to serve us well. The food was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but PriceyLove2EatDined on 4/26/2014We found the staff to be very friendly and the service was outstanding. Great atmosphere, very clean. Service was quick. We were a bit surprised by the prices on the menu considering the $$ rating. We thought perhaps the "small plate" options are what give this restaurant a lower $ rating. The food was good, but in our opinion a tad bit overpriced, and menu selections were limited. We would go back, but would be for a special occasion.Special Features:
- barrysDined on 4/23/2014Letting restaurant know via open table reservation that it was our anniversary, we were greeted with welcome Happy Anniversary upon check in and our server also greeted us the same way. I asked for a chocolate dessert with a candle and they were great about that. Creo is a very good place to go to. Give them a try or go back as we did after management shake up. Very good place.Special Features:
- Job well doneJewelQueen60Dined on 3/28/2014Tried cevice for the first time, this is the only place I would be willing to try it, it was awesome. This has become my special occasion go to place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedDisappointedDined on 3/21/2014Creo reduced the menu, and the quality. We have been coming here for years and this is the first time we had lack luster food. Our chopped salad was just plain chopped iceberg lettuce on a plate. I've hd better salads at McDonald's. Not happy and not sure if we will go back.Special Features:
- Reliably good food. Great service.OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 3/20/2014We've been here several times in the past and have never had a bad meal. The food is fairly innovative for this town and well prepared and presented. The ambience is casual chic. It's a pleasant place to share a leisurely meal. We shared their signature lobster and avocado over an onion tart appetizer. Enough for a main course for one person. They should never take that off the menu. It's a winner. We also had fresh halibut and a Pasta Bolognese dish. While the food was just fine, the service was superb. Our server was extremely helpful with our wine selection and very knowledgeable about the menu. She was just attentive enough to fulfill all our needs without being intrusive. We have always found the service at Creo to be excellent.Special Features:
- Good choiceHatewritingreviewsDined on 3/7/2014I took two friends there, the food was good and the service was prompt, but the waitperson appeared stressed and distracted. Maybe having a bad night. I was under the impression he did not expect a good tip and treated us according. I 'very eaten here several times, though, and will continue to recommend this restaurant as a good choice for Albany.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing AmbianceNikkiDDined on 2/15/2014If you're looking for a great place to take your significant other or have lunch with the girls, Creo is the place. The Ambiance is so modern and elegant. The food was not all that enjoyable but the drinks were wonderful. I would go again because the overall package was great but if you're looking for a place with delicious food I would reconsider.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good night outOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2014We dined here on Valentine's Day 2014. The food was good, dessert was excellent, and went early (4:30) and liked that we were not crowded until the table next to us was sat. Luckily they didn't sit down until halfway through the meal. At that point we felt like we were eating dinner with them because they were part of our conversation and we were a part of theirs. There was no way to avoid it. We were close enough to eat off of their plates. Overall high marks but the table (that we sat at) were to close to another table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creo delivers a consistentFogtmaNDined on 2/14/2014Creo delivers a consistent delight and the gluten-free options make it a top choice for the Albany areaI would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was just ok. ServiceDrBassDined on 1/27/2014Food was just ok. Service was slow - training, not attentive. Music too loud for lunchtime - business lunch. Even heard some of the waitstaff saying to make it lower when we arrived.I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/17/2014Service was very good and the menu had many selections including specials, the portions are large. Can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Anniversary Dinnermrh056Dined on 1/11/2014Moderate prices, food was excellent and the service was great. Nice atmosphere, definitely coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Surprisingly good!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/11/2014I went in with low expectations, but they were totally confounded! We had a wonderful lunch at Creo, and we were surprised again at the reasonable prices. The lobster roll was delicious, and I'm told the chop salad and crab cake BLT were also great! The only not-so-awesome dish was the duck confit poutine, which was heavy and awkward. The service was good, and the ambiance was very nice - quiet at lunchtime on a Saturday. We will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing dining experience!Foodlover14Dined on 1/7/2014Was looking for a nice place to go and enjoy an evening with my husband on his birthday! It was everything we wanted! Great food! Our server was exceptional! & the place is beautiful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Albany's bestTraceyDined on 1/4/2014Creo rates superlatives across numerous categories. The food is delectable, the service fantastic, and a great ambiance in the restaurant which never seems to get too loud for conversation (unlike many restaurants). This restaurant is a find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- new year dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/31/2013When we arrived had a cocktail at the bar, great service and.ambience Table was ready on time and sevice and food was excellent Regular menu and a special menu for New Year was availableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Christmas Eve DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/24/2013Food - excellent! The featured appetizers and flatbread pizza we ordered were all delicious. We had to remind ourselves to leave room for dinner. Much appreciated the various vegetable selections that are not typically offered, healthily made and wonderful to taste. Service - excellent! In addition to the sit-down, we asked for a takeout and if we could look at the lunch menu for this takeout. Because this was after the lunch menu was closed, the waiter asked to check with the chef. An affirmative response with an apology that it may take a few extra moments (no apology necessary). Waitstaff continued to check on us without interfering with our conversation and meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A fine Sunday evening mealFoodforthoughtVIPDined on 12/8/2013Having started the meal with the delicious brussel spouts appetizer...we knew that we were in for a treat for the other dishes that we ordered. The halibut on the regular menu was delicious as well as the flat bread pizza....and the pasta with bolognese sauce. The apple pie with vanilla ice cream a wonderful topper to the meal. The only bummer....the restaurant wasn't able to provide the cappucino's we ordered....they apologized...as the person who makes the cappucino had an accident and there wasn't anyone available to take care of the request. oh well.....next time.....and there will be a next time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Have eaten here several timesOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 11/30/2013Have eaten here several times before John O Leary wasn't present but Jay the server was. I didn't sit at Jays seating and John was absent. Food wasn't as good as it's been. Lobster bisque was not good at all may have been old, calamari was the worst I've ever had from there and that's our favorite app. Lobster Mac was good and halibut was cooked very well. But for the $100 bucks for that dinner I was not happy. I've been there before and have had great dishes but lastnight dining there and the pricing just doesn't sit well. I dine at 677 prime on a regular basis and live a mile down the road from Creo. I just feel it's very overpriced in certain aspects mainly appetizers. Dinners are good but apps are too overpriced.Special Features:
- Great Brussel Sprout Appetizer!PhilDined on 11/2/2013Never liked Brussel Sprouts as a kid. I blame that on the way my mother cooked them. The roasted Brussel sprout appetizer that they have is amazing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.