1336 9th Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94122Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.crawstation.com/
- Phone: 4156829980x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Daily 4:00pm-10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Cajun
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Craw Station
San Francisco Cajun-Creole Seafood restaurant specialized in crawfish, shrimp, oyster , mussels , clams and Dungeness crab .Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Craw Station reviews from OpenTable diners
35 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (14)good for groups (14)fit for foodies (9)kid-friendly (5)hot spot (5)special occasion (4)great for lunch (3)late-night find (2)great for outdoor dining (2)vibrant bar scene (2)great for brunch (1)romantic (1)Show More
- MehUmyoguyDined on 9/12/2014Sauces were great. Crab was incredibly over priced. Shrimp were over cooked and served in a plastic bag. Service was almost nonexistant due to understaffing, though they were nice. No interior decor other than boxes stacked everywhere and flies buzzing around.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/2014Waitress took charge. Seafood fresh and taste full. Fun experience.Special Features:
- Disappointed...OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/28/2014My friend had a Groupon for the roasted crab. When we arrived we were informed that they did not receive their shipment of the dungeoness crab that day. I was impressed that prior to our arrival that they did leave me a voicemail letting us know as well. Anyhow, the owner told us that we could order anything on the menu - including the lobster! This was certainly a grand gesture which we appreciated. We ended up ordering 2 lbs shrimp, 2 lbs of clams and 2 lbs of blue crab and an order of the yummy garlic noodles. Aside from the noodles, everything else was covered by our Groupon- so we certainly made out with WAY too much yummy food for the two of us to put away.Special Features:
- Such fresh and delicious foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014Our first time there because of a groupon. Wish we lived in SF so we could eat here more often. Staff is very attentive and keeps good tabs on customers and their supply.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty crab, but could be fresherLilacLiliesDined on 8/1/2014My fiancé and I had a Groupon for two crab plates at Craw Station. We selected the House Cajun and Garlic Butter seasoning and got served two medium-sized crabs drowning in sauce and seasoning. Both sauces were really tasty, salty, and super buttery! You definitely need some kind of carbohydrate to accompany the crab and we ordered 1 bowl of rice and 2 baked potatoes. We were absolutely stuffed by the end of the night. While the crab was tasty, the meat was shriveled up and often stuck to the shell, a sign that it's not fresh! The bill was about $77 (with tip) and I saved $40 because of Groupon. Thank goodness for Groupon because without it, the quality of the meal would not have been price.
- excellent experiencewhatamessDined on 8/1/2014We are recommended by our friend who is a frequent visitor there. The shrimp with the garlic sauce and the clam and mussel combo is super good too. Don't forget to try their mango juice!!It's better than beer to go with the spicy food. Besides, the owner and the waiters there are very nice people, we enjoy talking with them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- poor welcomeluv2sushiDined on 8/1/2014Not inviting to guest. At first management said it was a 45 min wait. So I used my phone to reserve a table within 10 mins.Special Features:
- Reasonable experiencedandybellDined on 7/31/2014Your fingers are going to be totally smeared in sauce. Everything will be flooded with garlic. In a nice way. Clams: yes (the lemon pepper sauce goes pretty nicely with these) Oysters: no (small, and not shucked in front of you, with unclear indication of how many hours they've been dead/zombied for) Crab: yes (my highest recommendation for this restaurant, if you don't prefer clams (I prefer clams, personally)) Crawfish: no (the flavour does not enter the shell easily, the meat is bland and the sauce is harsh in comparison) House noodles: yes Chicken wings: no Prawns/Shrimp: no (not fresh/recently-live) The crab is very very tender. The shells are just decorative (yet you pay per pound) and contain very little edible substance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dynamite - KA POW!OceanjoeDined on 7/30/2014Their spicy knocked my socks off. I really enjoyed it. Best birthday dinner in a long while. If you want to get an adrenaline rush get the dynamite spice. I would highly recommend getting beer with your crawfish amped up on habanero. The appetizers were great too and the garlic noodles rain supreme! If you are looking for a dinner where you want to do something new this is the place for you. If you are looking for fine dinning it is not the place. Be sure to take your best buds and drink the night away eating super spicy foods. I barely could walk out the door. The beer is necessary to combat the spicy. I am sure if I toned down the hear I would have equally enjoyed the experience. But it was fun just going deep into the spicy!Special Features:
- Crab in a bagFrugalFoodieVIPDined on 7/22/2014We have been to Craw Stations three times for a total of twelve crabs and have now sampled most of the 16 available combinations of flavors and spiciness. We like the food and the funky service in a bag, which makes the messy process eating them a little more manageable and even sort of fun. On the last visit the crabs seemed significantly smaller than usual, a real disappointment. Unless you have a discount coupon (Groupon) the crab prices are no bargain compared to other places around town.
- Pricey But Worth ItIslandBoyDined on 7/18/2014Good crab dinners! Although a bit on the high price considering the ambiance, the food was well made. If you love spicy flavors this the place for you. The mildly spicy and medium spicy broth were wonderful with lots garlic bits swirling around. Put it over steamed rice and it compliments the meal really well. Unless you are a hardcore, hot chile type, the hot and nuclear spicy would probably not be for you. Additonally, they have decent garlic noodles although a bit to oily for my liking. Go in with an appetite and enjoy the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simple and solidalexVIPDined on 7/11/2014very simple resaturant. Easy to be there, attentive staff. Food is fine. Solid. They give you gloves to wear which is great.
- Great place for crab...rwcfoodieDined on 7/11/2014This place is only open for dinner. It is very popular. Get there when the door opens or be ready to wait. There's a back yard patio area that is quieter. The crab was terrific, fresh & very flavorful. You have a choice of I think 4 different flavors/spice levels. Lots of garlic! The 1-1/2 lb clam/mussel dish is a good buy at $14.95. Big plump black mussels & big meaty clams. Delicious! Get the beignets for dessert...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Worth It, Even with a GrouponOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/7/2014I grabbed a groupon for crab dinner for two. Pretty casual atmosphere which was fine. Only one red wine available - an overly fruity cabernet. Totally inappropriate for spicy seafood. The rest of the menu was either other kinds of shellfish or deep friend vegetables. The crab arrived in a steaming hot bowl of broth (no bread) and was beyond over-cooked. I couldn't dig out a reasonable bite of meat from even the biggest claw. I left the restaurant hungry. The only reason my husband didn't was because he ate the entire plate of onion rings. Needless to say, not going back.
- AlexDined on 7/2/2014It was a good restaurant. Food was great. Server was great. but it was VERY noisy and the prices for the crab were very highSpecial Features:
- Fresh ShellfishNeekVIPDined on 6/25/2014If you're looking for fresh shrimp, crab, clams, or crawfish in a super casual environment, this is the place. Their sauces and spice levels are fantastic (from no spice to super spicy with variations in between). Craw Station has a hole-in-the-wall feel with only a few items on the menu, but they do those items very well. This would be a fun place to bring friends for down-and-dirty seafood (bibs and wipes are included) with a beer or glass of wine. The restaurant opens up in back, and there's a patio for outside dining on warm days/nights. The wait staff is friendly and helpful. You won't get upscale dining - you're going to get your hands right into your food. For seafood lovers, you'll be right at home.Special Features:
- Love crablanieDined on 6/22/2014Came on wrong night for our Groupon coupon. The wait staff were very pleasant and understanding so we decided to stay and dine. The Dungeness crab in garlic butter was a good 3 - 3 1/2 lbs. It was delicious, sweet and tender and plenty for two.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DungenessbottomlessalldayerrydayDined on 6/21/2014Delicious Dungeness Crab! Quite the challenge to break apart, but I really enjoyed the experience. I would recommend this place to anyone, just make sure to ask the waiter the price of the food before placing your order. Also, I thought the noodles also made the experience worthwhile.Special Features:
- Not bad.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/11/2014Perhaps that we looked asian, and used groupon, the waitress took the time and explained to us clearly, that we have to pay tax and tips.Special Features:
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/5/2014good food, family style dining if you like to share..............food plentiful and delicious. Small hole in the wall kind of place............but well worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SeafoodEzze14Dined on 5/30/2014At First they took a minute to get to out Table but after Order was taken good got to our table pretty fast.... Dungeness Crab was cooked perfect very sweet.... Shrimp was over cooked still sweet tasting but on the dry side.... I will definitely go again.... Way better then Rocking Crawfish....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 19 reviews are from the Craw Station reviews archive.
- Garlic GaloreOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/17/2014I've been here before with a groupon. This time we didn't use a groupon. We had a party of 3 and ordered a crab, shrimp (with butter and garlic) and garlic noodles. The garlic noodles were so delicious that we ordered another. If you love garlic, and don't mind the garlic breath lingering then these are the noodles for you. I think it's even better than Thanh Long. The shrimp was cooked to perfection but the crab was cooked a little too long. The meat stuck to the shell of the crab instead of just coming off when you pull it. I was a little disappointed. But this is a place I will regularly visit. Glad they now take reservations on open table!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth getting your hands dirty!OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 5/16/2014I've been to Thanh Long, Crustaceans, Dead Fish & Boiling Crab. By far, this is my favorite place for crab. Even better is when you have a Groupon and get 2 crab dinners for $45.00! Garlic noodles a must, tons of garlic!Special Features:
- overpricedsaffronpicsDined on 5/7/201435 bucks for a crab??? Overpriced even with a groupon! Shorthanded so service was slooow. No paper towells in the bathroom.
- Amazing crab, worth the waitSharkyFoodyDined on 5/6/2014I love Craw Station. The service is generally good, if a bit slow. The only bummer with this recent experience is that I would have liked to be given a heads up about the long wait time for the boiled crab. Because the crabs go in live, they need to cook for at least 15 minutes, so although we were seated at 7pm we didn't get our crabs until about 7:40pm. This was kindly explained by the owner a few minutes before our food came out, when I was pretty hungry and didn't really understand why our food was taking so long. I would have come prepared for the wait, ordered ahead (if possible?), or ordered more appetizers. Overall, the crab was really fantastic and I was hungry enough to eat one by myself!Special Features:
- comfort seafoodfogcityDined on 4/30/2014Unpretentious and delicious, a fabulous way to grab some oysters or crab when south of Golden Gate Park. Good beer and sweet potato fries with oysters does it for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food, helpful StaffBTC415VIPDined on 4/12/2014The food here was great and the staff, though frenzied, took time to walk us through the options we had. The management of the front of the restaurant could use a little improvement to make things more efficient, but even if that didn't happen, it wouldn't stop us from going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really fun place, very casual,CarolSFVIPDined on 4/8/2014Really fun place, very casual, great food. The people who work there are so friendly that they make you feel like you are at a friends house for dinner. Put Craw Station on your list of places to go. Loved the catfish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodAngelaVIPDined on 4/7/2014If you want a wide selection of crab dishes, prepared with whatever degree of spice suits your taste this is the place to go. Don't expect atmosphere or a drink menu, just very good crabs.Special Features:
- Yum!NikkiDined on 3/22/2014Addicting!! Crawfish is in season and they are delicious. The staff is very friendly. Sometimes the food takes a bit, but it's worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too spicy and too Slow service.LindaVIPDined on 3/7/2014I've been to Craw Station before & tried their Garlic butter and Cajun Sauces for our crab dinners. They were very good and that's why we've returned for more. We ordered the Cajun Sauce w/medium spicy/heat. When we got our orders, my plate was drenched in hot oil. I can take heat but this was numbing my lips that I could barely eat 2 pieces of crab. I tried my husband's plate and his was not as spicy. I asked the waiter if mine was their dynamite spice/heat version, and the waiter said that it was not, and indicated that their medium heat is actually spicy. Why is my order so spicy when my husband's was not as spicy and we both ordered medium spicy. The service was very slow & not very efficient. Probably not going back anymore.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood findRoyyDined on 3/7/2014I love trying new restaurants and this was a great discovery. The staff recommended the catfish appetizer, which I've never tried before, and it was delicious. We ordered crab, oysters, clams, house noodles and sides of bread and corn. Every single dish was done to perfection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome crabkattieDined on 3/1/2014I absolutely love this place. Great food ( I always get their crab), great service ( the manger/owner) is incredible. All in all good times, just a word of advise if you get appetizers ( sweet potato fries is a must have) do split the crab with someone, the portions are quiet substantial.Special Features:
- The best Cajun everHmmmmVIPDined on 1/27/2014Craw Station is now my favorite Cajun restaurant. Their house Cajun mild sauce crab and shrimps are one of the best things I've ever tasted. The garlic noodles and the house special noodles along with Gumbo delighted the taste buds of our party of seven. We started with some deep fried oysters, catfish, chicken wings and sweet potato fries. Everything we ordered exceeded expectation and amazing. Good times with great friends and amazing food! Great service too. Love how the owners come & engage you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Seeaaalicious!!!maxwellDined on 1/17/2014Good, open ambiance for families, groups or couples to enjoy a good meal. Parking was tight, but that is everywhere in the sunset district.Special Features:
- Terrific dungeness -- no frillsAeginaVIPDined on 12/31/2013If you love shellfish and don't mind getting messy. this is the place. Delicious seafood and sides, with the emphasis just on the food. Wait staff was very helpful in trying to get us a cab and very sweet to my daughter.Special Features:
- Needs improvementOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 12/15/2013Great food But awful service That back room is like a barnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Big SurpriseAnnieVIPDined on 12/4/2013Definitely one of my new faves. My friend has been to New Orleans and knows Cajun food. I love this type of food and fresh fish. I never had crawfish before, so I ordered some. We ordered a bunch of stuff, I get the bill and no charge for the crawfish. Waiter tells us on the house. Are you kidding me?? The shrimp were delectable. The sauces were phenomenal. The house noodles were scrumptious....and ice cold beer washed everything down. One more thing....do not leave without ordering the beignets, To die for. Only negative was for some reason the place was cold. Cajun spices helped....but, I still had to keep a jacket on....Special Features:
- Great Cajun foodChrisVIPDined on 11/1/2013I can't believe I didn't find this place earlier. We've been to New Orleans and the gumbo and crawfish were right up there with the best. We had mussels and clams and fried catfish too. All was fresh and cooked just right. Prices are very reasonable. Staff is friendly and knowledgable. We'll be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great good, no fussqoomonsterDined on 11/1/2013Love this unpretentious, simple place. The wait staff is friendly and thoughtful, and the food comes piping hot and fresh. Love it. Will keep coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.