1472 Hertel Ave
Buffalo, NY 14216Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cravingbuffalo.com/
- Phone: (716) 883-1675
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm; Dinner: Friday - Saturday 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Brunch Sunday 10:00 am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Adam Goetz
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Just as CRāVing strives to reinvent the restaurant experience, we also reinvent our client’s catering experience. CRāVing’s approach to catering is unlike any other caterer in the Buffalo area. Although we do have a banquet menu equipped with different ideas for varying types of events, CRāVing prides itself on customizing every event to meet our clients’ needs.
A word from CRaVing
CRāVing is located in the heart of North Buffalo in Hertel’s shopping district, one block from the North Park Theatre. If you are looking for a gratifying lunch, scrumptious brunch, delicious dinner or a family friendly dining experience CRāVing’s eclectically modern, yet comfortable and inviting venue will fulfill your needs. CRāVing’s menu is food forward, where comfort meets style and technique. CRāVing is open seven days a week for lunch and dinner, and also serves Sunday Brunch. CRāVing sets out to serve you the food you crave. You know, that dish that you say to yourself, “I’m dying for…” Daily Chef’s CRāVings will take the regions bounty of fresh ingredients and bring them to life, in dishes that you didn"t even know you were yet to crave.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
CRaVing - Best Restaurants in Buffalo ›
CRaVing reviews from OpenTable diners
57 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (40)neighborhood gem (37)romantic (15)great for outdoor dining (14)special occasion (13)good for groups (9)great for brunch (8)notable wine list (8)great for lunch (7)hot spot (7)late-night find (3)scenic view (1)vibrant bar scene (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- nice restaurantElmom12Dined on 11/8/2014Small little place, but nice atmosphere. We sat at a round table right in the nook of the front window, it was very cozy. The food was nicely presented and all dinners were of good quality. We had salads and oysters for appetizers, both were very fresh and delicious. For dinner one had salmon that he said was very good. Another had a nights special, beef stroganoff, which was good, but could have used more meat and less pasta. A third diner had the handkerchief pasta which she said was very tasty. The last diner had the short ribs. The meat was so tender, it just slid right off the bone. Our server, Joe, was very knowledgeable in regard to the menu. He was professional and quite personable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lambniceDined on 11/1/2014My husband and I went for a quick bite. He had the lamb which was lean and flavorful. I had the local pork which was outstanding. It was a great little place and we would return.Special Features:
- Just so-soHate2cookDined on 10/25/2014We went to this restaurant during restaurant week expecting it to be crowded, but it was not. We waited over an hour for our dinner, and when it arrived it was so average. The pasta and fish was good, but the beef was tough. Probably would not go there again.
- NoiceFoodInMoufDined on 10/22/2014This was a sweet spot for mine and boo's classic Wednesday night date. The tables felt a little close, but the room seemed to absorb a lot of outside chatter. The lighting was nice especially with the warm oranges in the dining area. Our server was very friendly and patient with us while we chose something to drink from the extensive wine list. We were stuck between two, so he offered us tastes of both. I had asparagus salad with some fishy dish with whipped potatoes and boyfriend had the house salad and pasta-blah-blah with sausage...but with no sausage. At this point, details about what dish we had are irrelevant. All of our food was delicious. We went all the way with dessert and all and I felt pretty awesome rolling out of there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BfloPadreDined on 10/22/2014On first visit, took advantage of Restaurant Week 2014 special. Excellent chorizo stuffed dates and bacon. Asparagus salad very good with warm mushrooms. Very tasty root-beer beef short rib. Friendly staff.Special Features:
- awesomeDipo71Dined on 10/18/2014Went to craving for the first time for dinner and was blown away at how great it was, I highly recommend going there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall pretty good!italianeaterDined on 10/9/2014We went for lunch last week and our waiter was very attentive and helpful. I didn't like the Chicken and Onion pizza (his favorite) as the chicken did not taste at all seasoned (it looked boiled-stark white- no grill marks-nothing) and was cut in very thick and large chunks. It looked unappetizing. My Greek salad however was very good.Special Features:
- Average experienceCynthiaVIPDined on 10/7/2014the restaurant is quite dark at certain tables (we had to use iPhone light to read Menus as candles on table not lit either), we waited 10 Minutes from sitting to server coming over (I had to finally ask for the server to be sent to our table), he never checked back on us after serving meals so went a while without drinks and water refills. Poor service when the servers are standing around chatting with the bartender and host is not acceptable.
- FoodieJDined on 10/7/2014Creative combination of ingredients in several dishes makes the food interesting. More standard fare also available. Service was fine, wine was OK... decent quality and selection. Least positive was the noise level..it's a small dining room and tables are fairly close together. And it was a full night. An outdoor patio would be a good choice in warm weather. Bar in small separate room upon entering.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Try the figs.LaurenVIPDined on 10/3/2014Great experience as always. Good was wonderful and service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not overwhelmedLanceDined on 9/28/2014Craving was Ok. It has a good menu. Our meals were only Luke warm when served and that was the biggest disappointment. The food itself was good but not great. So overall, good but not memorable. Our server did a great job.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OneCentDined on 9/27/2014Really enjoyed our night. We started our night on the patio, was was very nice but the drop in temperature chased us inside. The staff was super accomodating in re-seating us. The food was very good, I had homemade pasta with butternut squash, my husband enjoyed the salmon special. The waitstaff was very attentative. We did share the S'more dessert and hot cocoa - it was excellent. We were very pleased with our meal. We look forward to going back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small plates are terrificGE0RGESCHDined on 9/27/2014My wife and I each had a small plate, hers was the fish and mine the flank steak. Both were perfect size and done quite well. Only very small complaint is the lighting, just a bit dimSpecial Features:
- Local food locally Yum!FoodinmybellyDined on 9/23/2014I was here last year for my birthday dinner and this year was spent,the day after, with my step mom for our birthdays. Everything looked so amazing it was hard to decide. Our waitress was fantastic! She gave us information quickly, and also enough time to decide. We ended up with Gnudi and the Flank Steak which were both amazing! The beer selection was great as well! Last year I got the NY strip steak and the blue cheese red wine reduction butter with the perfectly cooked steak was heavenly. I also really enjoy that the entrees have the option of small plate or the entree size. Ive been here for lunch as well, and although good, dinner is my favorite! I really want to try them for brunch as well! Go to CraVing, you won't regret it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DELISHerr423Dined on 9/13/2014The food quality and taste stood out from all of my recent dining experiences. I wish I lived in Buffalo so I could frequent CRaVing more often!Special Features:
- Great lunch spotOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/10/2014We had a gathering of 8 women who can be fussy. Our server was patient and friendly and accommodating. Great experience! Food was very good.Special Features:
- wonderful experience-OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014wonderful experience- we will definitely come againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favorites!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/6/2014Extremely accommodating. Food is consistently well-prepared.Special Features:
- opentable makes dinning out easyJZUBDined on 9/5/2014The reason the noise level is moderate is that we sat outside. Great food and great service. An overall fantastic dining experience in Buffalo.Special Features:
- Nice Bar and outside diningChuckyDined on 8/30/2014Although my wife's steak was a little tough we had a pleasuable meal. The Bacon Wrapped Dates were a great way to start the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a pleasant surpriseMotorfoodieVIPDined on 8/18/2014The food and people who work there are great! I live the idea of a daily menu that features locally sourced ingredientsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New favorite!IlsaYankeeFanDined on 8/15/2014Great find for us. Think it'll be our new go to place.Special Features:
- Nice DinnerWengVIPDined on 8/10/2014Been meaning to dine here for awhile, glad we finally did. Salads, food and service were all excellent. We be back!Special Features:
- CozyNOTHAPPYANNIVDined on 8/7/2014Nice little eatery....kind of pricey. Need to encourage sharing dishes moreSpecial Features:
- Good food, better for winterAndi415Dined on 8/1/2014The food was very good. Check the specials list and go for items off that if appealing. The main menu has heavy foods. Being there on an early August night made me wish it was January so that I could fully enjoy the heavier dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always greatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/30/2014Never disappointed, one of our favorite places to eat outSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good service, ok foodPeterlitoDined on 7/26/2014Justin was our server and her was great--attentive without being fawning. The food was just ok. I had the small plate of NY strip steak and it was too fatty. It was just a normal size strip cut in half the short way. Not a great cut of meat to start with, I can only surmise. My girlfriend had the flank steak and she wasn't thrilled with it. Nothing was wrong with the meat itself, she just didn't like the flavor. That was probably our fault--we should have read the description more closely. The fries that came with my steak, however, were awesome. I just don't think the side should be the highlight of the meal. The house salads were good too but had too much dressing on them. Tasty s'more dessert is highly recommended.
- Great food!buffalocitylineDined on 7/25/2014All was delicious...love the small plates! Great fresh tomato salad was my favorite; six dined together and we shared everything! Had a great table at the front window, and Hertel was hopping! Would highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 96 reviews are from the CRaVing reviews archive.
- Sweet potatoe friesIrishgirl96Dined on 7/21/2014Best I've ever had!! I would go back just to have a side of fries!! Everything else was outstanding as well and I can't wait to take my boyfriend!!Special Features:
- FirstTimerVIPDined on 7/6/2014I frequent this restaurant often because of the food but the wait staff could use a major attitude adjustment. I don't know if it was because it was a Sunday morning or what but the water was very short and unfriendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pjfmDined on 6/15/2014The 2013 restaurant is a new venture from owners of (since closed) Allentown's 'Sample'. CraVing's menu includes small plates, soups, salads, sandwiches, & full plates. We've visited 3 times. On a warm summer night, dinner on the patio mixed attentive service & delicious food/beverages with fun of people watching (Hertel has a lot of foot traffic); we shared a bottle of wine, salad, pasta, pizza, and salmon choices. Sunday brunch experiences - Mother's Day & Father's Day - were indoors. Both occasions included cocktails (inventive uses of sake), wine, & various menu choices: BLT on house-made foccacia, wild mushroom & fontina omelet, roasted red pepper scramble, eggs benedict, & cheddar grits w/chicken, egg, &greens. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- RaVes for CRaVingBarbiODined on 6/15/2014Even though they were suddenly and unexpectedly short-staffed for Father's Day Brunch, we had a remarkably delicious meal! All five of us, including a voracious one year old! We loved the lighting, the ceiling tiles and the overall décor. The server was very attentive, although frazzled, and offered us a free round of drinks because the kitchen was backed up. Everything ordered was fantastic, subtly-flavored and beautifully presented. No frou-frou and no faux chique! Just great food and perfectly-sized portions! We are SO happy to have found that we now CRaVe a return to CRaVing!Special Features:
- Bread BasketBuffaLoDined on 6/1/2014The brunch breadbasket they bring out is to die for. Chocolate chip muffin, cinnamon roll and a coffee cake. The food is delicious!Special Features:
- Great!dine4dinnerDined on 5/30/2014Great addition to the hertel ave. Definitely one of my favorites. Friendly and good service and great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I'll definitely go back!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/18/2014I went to Craze for Brunch because I heard about the great food. I wasn't disappointed. I had the Chorizo Scramble and it was flavorful, nicely portioned, and piping hot. Service was good, (and they were very busy). I also thought the prices were reasonable. I want to go back to try some of the other brunch items.Special Features:
- lunchluv2dineDined on 5/17/2014I thought it was hard to find a good restaurant that had lunch on a Saturday afternoon. I have been here for dinner here twice and was pleased so when a group of women wanted to meet for lunch I thought I would try it. It was great! Everyone loved their meal. Which is unusual with this bunch. Everyone's looked great, hard to decide who made the best choice. We talked a lot and the server was patient with us. Sad their was no desert with lunch, wanted to splurge w the calories, but glad I guess their wasn't. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- wowNorthBuffaloJoeDined on 5/14/2014First time there. Party of 8. Wee are all going back. Has to be one of Hertel's best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Perfect Pasta ExperienceBuffaloeatsDined on 5/11/2014This marks the fifth time I have ordered the same pasta dish and it gets better every time! The Arugala Salad is my favorite salad yet. I can't wait to go back again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, food is okCynthiaVIPDined on 5/10/2014The service and atmosphere were great but the food was lacking...the mussels were dry and pastas were bland
- Service was great, food not badOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/27/2014The staff was helpful and very kind. I ordered the pork which was overcooked. My husband had the steak which came well-done (ordered medium). Overall, not bad but we likely won't be back.