1472 Hertel Ave
Buffalo, NY 14216Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cravingbuffalo.com/
- Phone: 7168831675x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Brunch Sunday 10:00 am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Adam Goetz
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Just as CRāVing strives to reinvent the restaurant experience, we also reinvent our client’s catering experience. CRāVing’s approach to catering is unlike any other caterer in the Buffalo area. Although we do have a banquet menu equipped with different ideas for varying types of events, CRāVing prides itself on customizing every event to meet our clients’ needs.
A word from CRaVing
CRāVing is located in the heart of North Buffalo in Hertel’s shopping district, one block from the North Park Theatre. If you are looking for a gratifying lunch, scrumptious brunch, delicious dinner or a family friendly dining experience CRāVing’s eclectically modern, yet comfortable and inviting venue will fulfill your needs. CRāVing’s menu is food forward, where comfort meets style and technique. CRāVing is open seven days a week for lunch and dinner, and also serves Sunday Brunch. CRāVing sets out to serve you the food you crave. You know, that dish that you say to yourself, “I’m dying for…” Daily Chef’s CRāVings will take the regions bounty of fresh ingredients and bring them to life, in dishes that you didn"t even know you were yet to crave.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
CRaVing - Best Restaurants in Buffalo ›
CRaVing reviews from OpenTable diners
46 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (31)fit for foodies (30)great for outdoor dining (18)romantic (12)special occasion (12)great for brunch (11)good for groups (9)hot spot (9)great for lunch (8)notable wine list (8)late-night find (2)scenic view (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- DELISHerr423Dined on 9/13/2014The food quality and taste stood out from all of my recent dining experiences. I wish I lived in Buffalo so I could frequent CRaVing more often!Special Features:
- Great lunch spotOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/10/2014We had a gathering of 8 women who can be fussy. Our server was patient and friendly and accommodating. Great experience! Food was very good.Special Features:
- wonderful experience-OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/6/2014wonderful experience- we will definitely come againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our favorites!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/6/2014Extremely accommodating. Food is consistently well-prepared.Special Features:
- opentable makes dinning out easyJZUBDined on 9/5/2014The reason the noise level is moderate is that we sat outside. Great food and great service. An overall fantastic dining experience in Buffalo.Special Features:
- Nice Bar and outside diningChuckyDined on 8/30/2014Although my wife's steak was a little tough we had a pleasuable meal. The Bacon Wrapped Dates were a great way to start the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a pleasant surpriseMotorfoodieVIPDined on 8/18/2014The food and people who work there are great! I live the idea of a daily menu that features locally sourced ingredientsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New favorite!IlsaYankeeFanDined on 8/15/2014Great find for us. Think it'll be our new go to place.Special Features:
- Nice DinnerWengVIPDined on 8/10/2014Been meaning to dine here for awhile, glad we finally did. Salads, food and service were all excellent. We be back!Special Features:
- CozyNOTHAPPYANNIVDined on 8/7/2014Nice little eatery....kind of pricey. Need to encourage sharing dishes moreSpecial Features:
- Good food, better for winterAndi415Dined on 8/1/2014The food was very good. Check the specials list and go for items off that if appealing. The main menu has heavy foods. Being there on an early August night made me wish it was January so that I could fully enjoy the heavier dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always greatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/30/2014Never disappointed, one of our favorite places to eat outSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good service, ok foodPeterlitoDined on 7/26/2014Justin was our server and her was great--attentive without being fawning. The food was just ok. I had the small plate of NY strip steak and it was too fatty. It was just a normal size strip cut in half the short way. Not a great cut of meat to start with, I can only surmise. My girlfriend had the flank steak and she wasn't thrilled with it. Nothing was wrong with the meat itself, she just didn't like the flavor. That was probably our fault--we should have read the description more closely. The fries that came with my steak, however, were awesome. I just don't think the side should be the highlight of the meal. The house salads were good too but had too much dressing on them. Tasty s'more dessert is highly recommended.
- Great food!buffalocitylineDined on 7/25/2014All was delicious...love the small plates! Great fresh tomato salad was my favorite; six dined together and we shared everything! Had a great table at the front window, and Hertel was hopping! Would highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sweet potatoe friesIrishgirl96Dined on 7/21/2014Best I've ever had!! I would go back just to have a side of fries!! Everything else was outstanding as well and I can't wait to take my boyfriend!!Special Features:
- FirstTimerDined on 7/6/2014I frequent this restaurant often because of the food but the wait staff could use a major attitude adjustment. I don't know if it was because it was a Sunday morning or what but the water was very short and unfriendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pjfmDined on 6/15/2014The 2013 restaurant is a new venture from owners of (since closed) Allentown's 'Sample'. CraVing's menu includes small plates, soups, salads, sandwiches, & full plates. We've visited 3 times. On a warm summer night, dinner on the patio mixed attentive service & delicious food/beverages with fun of people watching (Hertel has a lot of foot traffic); we shared a bottle of wine, salad, pasta, pizza, and salmon choices. Sunday brunch experiences - Mother's Day & Father's Day - were indoors. Both occasions included cocktails (inventive uses of sake), wine, & various menu choices: BLT on house-made foccacia, wild mushroom & fontina omelet, roasted red pepper scramble, eggs benedict, & cheddar grits w/chicken, egg, &greens. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- RaVes for CRaVingBarbiODined on 6/15/2014Even though they were suddenly and unexpectedly short-staffed for Father's Day Brunch, we had a remarkably delicious meal! All five of us, including a voracious one year old! We loved the lighting, the ceiling tiles and the overall décor. The server was very attentive, although frazzled, and offered us a free round of drinks because the kitchen was backed up. Everything ordered was fantastic, subtly-flavored and beautifully presented. No frou-frou and no faux chique! Just great food and perfectly-sized portions! We are SO happy to have found that we now CRaVe a return to CRaVing!Special Features:
- Bread BasketBuffaLoDined on 6/1/2014The brunch breadbasket they bring out is to die for. Chocolate chip muffin, cinnamon roll and a coffee cake. The food is delicious!Special Features:
- Great!dine4dinnerDined on 5/30/2014Great addition to the hertel ave. Definitely one of my favorites. Friendly and good service and great food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 90 reviews are from the CRaVing reviews archive.
- I'll definitely go back!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/18/2014I went to Craze for Brunch because I heard about the great food. I wasn't disappointed. I had the Chorizo Scramble and it was flavorful, nicely portioned, and piping hot. Service was good, (and they were very busy). I also thought the prices were reasonable. I want to go back to try some of the other brunch items.Special Features:
- lunchluv2dineDined on 5/17/2014I thought it was hard to find a good restaurant that had lunch on a Saturday afternoon. I have been here for dinner here twice and was pleased so when a group of women wanted to meet for lunch I thought I would try it. It was great! Everyone loved their meal. Which is unusual with this bunch. Everyone's looked great, hard to decide who made the best choice. We talked a lot and the server was patient with us. Sad their was no desert with lunch, wanted to splurge w the calories, but glad I guess their wasn't. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- wowNorthBuffaloJoeDined on 5/14/2014First time there. Party of 8. Wee are all going back. Has to be one of Hertel's best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Perfect Pasta ExperienceBuffaloeatsDined on 5/11/2014This marks the fifth time I have ordered the same pasta dish and it gets better every time! The Arugala Salad is my favorite salad yet. I can't wait to go back again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, food is okCynthiaVIPDined on 5/10/2014The service and atmosphere were great but the food was lacking...the mussels were dry and pastas were bland
- Service was great, food not badOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/27/2014The staff was helpful and very kind. I ordered the pork which was overcooked. My husband had the steak which came well-done (ordered medium). Overall, not bad but we likely won't be back.
- Attentive to needsOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 4/26/2014This is one of the few restaurants we've been to that detailed all ingredients and substituted vegan for non-vegan items.Special Features:
- savorynewsDined on 4/18/2014Meal was excellent. Salads were delicious but large! We will split next time. The duck was beautifully done. Only complaint was sitting next to the kitchen but that faded with the excellence of the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious, And freshOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/5/2014Great food. Beyond fresh! Good beer selection for us craft beer lovers. The room was put together in a nice way. Dark paint, And vintage lights. Bar was a nice set up as well. This is now on my top places to eat in Buffalo. The caliber of food is top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't wait to come back.KingDined on 4/2/2014Food was very good and the service was outstanding. I look forward to coming back for dinner or brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointedtf598Dined on 3/28/2014Food was flavorless and the textures were either too tough or too mushy. Good service and ambiance, but not worth the money. I got the handkerchief pasta and my bf got the flank stake... so if you go I'd recommend not getting either of those entrees.
- one of my favesOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/23/2014fast becoming one of my buffalo faves next to Shango- forgot initially to mention, the service was really great! very attentive- The salads were amazing; my asparagus salad was excellent, and the house salad comes with amazing croutons. Had the flank steak- very good, nice spice on outside- hash-like potato mixed underneath- yum. I was super jealous of my partner in crimes campenelle which was amazing and her mom loved the ricotta gnudi-Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great atmosphere, and foodpasspartoutDined on 3/22/2014Great atmosphere, and food to match. The service and presentation were professional without being stuffy - our visit felt like a special occasion, without being stiff or formal. The food was amazing, and given how much we ordered, very reasonably priced. Do not pass up the chorizo-stuffed, bacon-wrapped dates - they were easily the stand out of the evening. The Pork Belly Confit, and the Short Rib Carppaccio were also excellent. The "poutine of the day" is a great idea, though the pulled pork version was a bit of a letdown among so many wonderful dishes. Easily among the top two restaurants we've tried in Buffalo.Special Features:
- potential is therejlockportDined on 3/15/20144 of us enjoyed our night. 2 had fish, 2 pork chops. the chef clearly knows how to work the kitchen. salads were delish. (the crouton could use some 'punch)' server was excellent/efficient/pleasant offered good advice. suggested the pork as it was fresh. our dinners arrived & the 2 fish plates were beautiful & thoroughly enjoyed. sadly the pork was under cooked. server quickly took orders back & apologized for the mistake. the chef cut and recooked the meat but recooked meat is never as good as the original. still, they were good. the cook is clearly cleaver & talented. too bad the 1st 2 in our party finished eating before we received our recooked entres. still, i would consider returning, the potential for a great meal is there.Special Features:
- Great foodlpbeardsDined on 3/7/2014The food here is very unique and quite tasty. The service was decent but not great. The selection for vegetarians is limited.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top quality diningfoodloverDined on 3/3/2014Excellent restaurant thay serves fine food and is also a very comfortable setting. The food is more upscale but not over the top like some more expwensive restaurants. The portions are very generous and half size dishes are available which is quite nice. It has quickly become our favorite for going out when we want a quality meal. There is also parking next door and the reopening of the North Park Theater just down the block creates a nice opportunity for a movie and dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Original food, vegan friendlyk2veganDined on 3/1/2014This was my third time dining at CRaVing, and every time I eat there, I am surprised by the combinations of foods in each dish, the way the flavors at turns complement and contrast one another. Also, I am a vegan, and they have always accommodated my dietary needs. Vegans, call ahead to give them a heads-up. This restaurant makes things from scratch, including their pasta, and this kind of care with their ingredients shines on each plate. One of my favorite restaurants in Buffalo and a Hertel gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad I wentIknowfoodDined on 2/26/2014Food was outstanding! Salads were huge, very fresh ingredients and never had I experienced a fresh cold salad, with warm roasted asparagus and mushrooms, served perfectly. Flank steak had delicious flavors, all 6 of our salads were perfect, the pastas were fresh and tasty and the pizzas were generous and very well made. I had en excellent Cabernet. Go here, you will enjoy it, and the small plates are well priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable mealpasbuffaloDined on 2/19/2014Our party of three all enjoyed our recent dinner here. We started with salads (two asparagus, one house) - all were very good, and the portions are generous. For entrees, I ordered the steak pizza. It was a thin crust pizza and was very tasty. The other two ordered ricotta gnudi (small plate). It also was very tasty. I like that you can choose between small plates or a full-size entrée. They had several daily specials in addition to the regular menu. The wine list is nice. My one objection is that they won't let you buy a bottle of the wines they sell by the glass, which makes absolutely no sense. They will sell it only by the glass, even if that's what everybody in the group wants to drink. :-( Bar stools are uncomfortable.Special Features:
- A pleasant surpriseHappydinerVIPDined on 2/16/2014We were thrilled when we walked in to discover that they were showing the Canadian broadcast of the Canadian Olympic hockey team game. This started us on the right foot and continued throughout with great service and superb food. We were a little surprised by the brunch menu which was not offered on the website and were slightly disappointed that the lunch menu wasn't available. The brunch offering, however, was varied and tasty with something for all. Thanks so much!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.