945 2nd Avenue
New York, NY 10022Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cravefishbar.com/
- Phone: 6468959585
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:30pm - 9:00pm
Lunch: Monday-Friday: 11:30am-2pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Wine Bar, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Todd Mitgang
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Crave Fishbar
Crave Fishbar is a vibrant, convivial restaurant in Midtown Manhattan serving an inspired seafood menu from chef Todd Mitgang. An eclectic mix of reclaimed materials and custom made chairs and tables lend a beachy, rustic feel to the space, which houses a 25-foot-long bar where guests can order from the full dinner menu along with cocktails and wine from a mounted bottle display. Approachable, sophisticated dishes feature local seafood, crudos, and meat dishes that are thoughtfully prepared with both familiar and exotic ingredients. Crave Fishbar has taken its place as a neighborhood fixture, providing locals and newcomers alike with a elegant, inviting experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Crave Fishbar reviews from OpenTable diners
228 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (131)fit for foodies (122)vibrant bar scene (43)good for groups (43)great for outdoor dining (40)romantic (35)great for lunch (35)hot spot (30)notable wine list (28)special occasion (23)late-night find (13)great for brunch (13)scenic view (4)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Not cravingTBSNYCVIPDined on 10/28/2014Not sure what all the hype is about at this place. Bar scene was average at best and food was standard. Not what I expected after reading all the reviews.
- A Mixed BagDGNYCVIPDined on 10/27/2014Normally I love Crave Fishbar, but Monday was clearly an "off night". The French Dinner was wonderful but the crab and tomato appetizer had seen fresher days. I have had this app before and was not only disappointed but the crab was fishy and should not have been served. Everything else was fine for the night, nothing spectacular but overall pleasant.
- A class actOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/26/2014Attentive service, consistently excellent food, noise level fairly low - it was actually possible to have a conversation! Only downside is the price - we're in the neighborhood, but at this price it's only for special occasionsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SharVIPDined on 10/26/2014place is cute, walking distance to apt. we waited 25 minutes before anyone came over to table. almost left. otherwise food was tastly, fresh. would try again.
- the pearl of my oyster!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/25/2014Want to try a great little gem in midtown where you can get a great selection of fresh oysters and seafood? Then do not miss this place! The service was exceptional, and the variety of oysters was more than I would expect from a small little place like this. The curry lobster was excellent, definitely try the skillet fried rice; deserts were excellent, and great suggestions for pairing the deserts with wines or aperitifs! Don't miss this!Special Features:
- Delicious and CreativeVernessaDined on 10/23/2014We were very pleased to find this hip and charming restaurant on the mid/east side. The food was exceptional: fresh, flavorful, creative. The wine list had some of our favorites. Our server was casual but thoroughly attentive. Our only complaint was our noisy fellow diners and loud music.Special Features:
- Dinner with FamilyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/23/2014Enjoyable dining experience with delicious food. The service was a little bit slow, but the food and ambiance made up for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy surprise!HappyCustomerVIPDined on 10/22/2014I chose this restaurant because I had to be in the area and it got good reviews, but I didn't expect to LOVE it! Great food, interesting without being too out-there, very tasty and fresh! The service was excellent - friendly and accommodating - and the restaurant was active and fun without being too loud and crowded. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- Thumbs up for Food+Service+AmbianceKalejokaDined on 10/22/2014We had a delicious and relaxed dinner. The waiter graciously accomodated our dietary restrictions. The oysters, fish and vegetables were delicious. On a rainy wednesday night the place was full and there was a genial vibe. I'd definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dollar OystersMimi27VIPDined on 10/22/2014Went here with a friend for my birthday dinner and it was great! Atmosphere was lively, the service was first class, (our server was friendly and didn't hoover around our table to turn it over). The food is GREAT!!! They offer $1 oysters M-F (bar or seated) from 5pm - 7pm and they have a variety of both East & West coast so you can sample them all. Extremely high quality oysters. Also must try the spicy margarita. Delicious!Special Features:
- Wish it was betterOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/18/2014I had heard about this place in the neighborhood and finally got a chance to go. What a waste of my money. The portions were tiny. I ordered the octopus and got one small piece. The swordfish my husband ordered was the size of my palm. The service was terrible. Tables around us were offered bread but we were not, our food came out as if I was it was fast food. WE sat down at 9 each had an appetizer and entree and paid the bill by 9:45. Will not return
- Unexpectedly outstanding seafoodarlenebdmVIPDined on 10/17/2014Every course was superb. From the oysters, to the updated Caesar Salad, to the fabulous scallops to dessert. The scallops were crisp on top and moist in the middle. They were served with a sauce of tomatillos and avocado-a perfect complement. Service was excellent even though they were extremely busy. The wine list was surprisingly good and broad. Definitely will become a regular, epspecially with $1.00 oysters during Happy Hour.Special Features:
- ready2dineDined on 10/16/2014Food was great, perfect for casual business dinner, great location.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Seafood findTLCTDined on 10/15/2014A go-to favorite in midtown east for fresh seafood in creative preparations. Look for the $1 oyster happy hour specialSpecial Features:
- KatherineVIPDined on 10/14/2014scallops were heavenly! Crave is a much better option than The Smith across the street. Would definitely recommend if you need a restaurant in this area.Special Features:
- probably my last timeBzaitaVIPDined on 10/14/2014The apps were the best part of the meal. From that point forward it was downhill. I thought that the hake wrapped in cotta was tasteless and the Lobster curry was just OK.Special Features:
- Best seafood uptown!OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/10/2014If your idea of a fantastic meal includes more than a dozen types of oysters to choose from; interesting sounding (and scrumptious) crudos or tartares, perfectly made cocktails, friendly service and a groovy rustic beach shack vibe then Crave Fishbar will hit the spot. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- Happy HourNeighborhoodgemVIPDined on 10/10/2014Love oysters happy hour 5-7pm on the weekdays. It's a good spot for oyster lovers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sat by the barDahlersVIPDined on 10/9/2014Not my first time here, and absolutely love the food and service - but as a table for two, they mostly have seats across from the bar. That means you get to hear all the bar conversations, and as the waiters, hosts/hostesses, and customers walk by - you're going to get bumped into frequently.
- Fresh seafood but not exceptionalOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/8/2014The seafood and all ingredients in their dishses all seem very fresh and high quality. The seasoning and sauces are decent but not exceptional. Service is very good. A nice affordable seafood restaurant in Midtown.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday Blues?OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/5/2014We really like this restaurant (and will return), but had a disappointing meal there on a Sunday (lunch). We expected a very busy place, but it wasn't at all, which makes the service missteps even more upsetting. The service was slow and a bit off-hand. There were 4 of us; when the food finally came out we got 3 dishes and had to inquire twice about the whereabouts of the 4th (which was a really simple dish of pancakes). If this were a diner it would be more understandable, but it's a nice and not cheap restaurant. So maybe we can chalk it up to a Sunday, but we'll only give them one more chance.
- Fantastic discoveryDrDSHDined on 10/4/2014I just booked a table for 4 a few hours earlier on a Saturday night and they gave us a great big booth and the service was exceptional. The waiter was very friendly and could explain each meal in detail. The menu changes nightly depending on the fresh fish they receive. The food was amazing and so was the atmosphere. It was great and laid back. Good music playing but not too loud to talk. We will be back and so will our guests!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved our dinner!JuliaDined on 10/2/2014Everyone at our table of 5 ate every last bite of his/her meals and we did the same with the shared appetizers. The service was great and so were the cocktails (Try the busters juice!). It's as good of a setting for a work dinner as it is for a romantic date. I will be back as soon as possible.Special Features:
- Crave is a must when I'm in NYTravelingEaterVIPDined on 9/24/2014Best oysters in town. Love the neighborhood feel with the top notch food and helpful friendly staff. Crave is a must when I'm in NY. And nice owner, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Find!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/23/2014Excellent selection of oysters and you can't beat the happy hour price! Excellent food and service! Would definitely come back.Special Features:
- Great findBillVIPDined on 9/23/2014This is a great find in midtown. Dishes were excellent and unique making this a very enjoyable evening experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappoints!HedgehogVIPDined on 9/22/2014Has to be one of the best fish places around for the quality and creativity of the dishes. Everything is stellar, not just the freshness and preparation of the seafood itself but also the attention to detail on the sides and sauces, as well as the presentation. A memorable dining experience. The room is dark and a bit cramped, and service can be a little quirky (though always well-meaning) but who cares because you will be in heaven from the food. Light-years ahead of the overrated BLT Fish.Special Features:
- Cozy andEnergetic:Is that possible?SeafoodLoversDined on 9/22/2014It wasn't first time we were here, we will be back soon, definitely.Special Features:
- Good innovative foodilariaDined on 9/21/2014Went with a friend, we're looking for a simple but good meal. This absolutely hit the spot. The decor and ambiance was more vibrant than expected, so that was already a plus. The menu had innovative twists to dishes, without being too whimsical. Prices were pretty decent for seafood and wine in New York, too. Service was attentive and helpful, not pushy at all. Thumbs upSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- In Cod We TrustLindsayJVIPDined on 9/19/2014Crave Fishbar has a great menu with a wide variety of seafood options. One tip: the menu online is a bit different from the one at the restaurant. I ordered the Local Diver Scallops (tomatillo avocado salsa, charred corn, butter lettuce) and they were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the OystersOpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 9/18/2014Happy Hour is fantastic! Such a good way to ease into the night!Special Features:
- A little from column ADGNYCVIPDined on 9/16/2014So I made a reservation and upon arrival I was told that the kitchen was closing at 10pm. Mind you my reservation was for 9:45pm. I hate when restaurants do that. I sat down, called the friend who was running late and picked out some items from the menu for us to share. I got the order in before the clock struck 10pm. Some appetizers were amazing like the tomato and blue crab while others were unbalanced like the calamari. We shared the tuna entree which was off the charts wonderful which made up for some of the lackluster dishes. Thankfully the server was terrific and help make an evening that started out on the wrong foot end up okay. I will probably be back because Crave is around the corner, but I wouldn't make a special trip.
- Delicious as alwaysJojoVIPDined on 9/15/2014We love Crave Fishbar's creative and interesting menu. We have never had a bad meal here. The fish is fresh and delicious and the wine list is interesting. My husband loves the restaurant's Cheladas.Special Features:
- Great dinnerHoward53Dined on 9/15/2014Started dinner with shared plate of two dozen oysters and then had the lobster curry as the main course. Great dinner all around. Wines were quite good as well.Special Features:
- Couldn't quite get it togetherRickVIPDined on 9/14/2014Sorry, I can't recommend this place. Ordered the roasted cauliflower soup. It was so heavy and fatty I felt like I was eating a bowl of lard. Ordered the poached hake. It took a while to come out, and then it was room temperature. I told the waiter, and he was very nice, but said, "Yeah, when you poach fish it doesn't get very hot. We get that complaint a lot." He gladly replaced it with the salmon, which was fine, but not memorable. Really didn't enjoy my meal here.
- TunasobepsychVIPDined on 9/14/2014Really well prepared rare tuna dishes. Fresh, simply presented fish.Special Features:
- Always a homerun!VeggieVixenDined on 9/12/2014Loved this restaurant ever since it opened. It's a big favorite and everyone I bring there - friends, family, work colleagues - all have found the food outstanding and the restaurant itself very beautiful. They are quite accommodating with any dietary restrictions and have a great cocktail list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun placeOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/12/2014Most food very good. One main (of 4) ordinary. Slow service on cocktails but overall enjoyable.
- best dollar oysterRestaurantWeekLoverDined on 9/12/2014best dollar oyster happy hour! must make reservation to secure table.Special Features:
- Fantastic fish and servicejennymac80Dined on 9/11/2014What a lovely restaurant. I went with a companion who is suffering from some dietary problems. The waiter was patient and talked us through the menu, pointing out how the restaurant could amend certain dishes for her. The food we received was lovely. Great calamari.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.