945 2nd Avenue
New York, NY 10022Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cravefishbar.com/
- Phone: (646) 895-9585
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:30pm - 9:00pm
Lunch: Monday-Friday: 11:30am-2pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Wine Bar, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Todd Mitgang
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Crave Fishbar
Crave Fishbar is a vibrant, convivial restaurant in Midtown Manhattan serving an inspired seafood menu from chef Todd Mitgang. An eclectic mix of reclaimed materials and custom made chairs and tables lend a beachy, rustic feel to the space, which houses a 25-foot-long bar where guests can order from the full dinner menu along with cocktails and wine from a mounted bottle display. Approachable, sophisticated dishes feature local seafood, crudos, and meat dishes that are thoughtfully prepared with both familiar and exotic ingredients. Crave Fishbar has taken its place as a neighborhood fixture, providing locals and newcomers alike with a elegant, inviting experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Crave Fishbar reviews from OpenTable diners
217 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (136)fit for foodies (127)good for groups (49)great for lunch (37)hot spot (34)great for outdoor dining (33)vibrant bar scene (32)notable wine list (30)romantic (29)special occasion (25)great for brunch (13)late-night find (12)scenic view (4)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- AverageOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/1/2014We were sat downstairs which felt more hectic and noisy (but it was Friday night). Came here for oysters but they never arrived. We were told they might take a while but when we'd eaten our appetizers and were half way through our entrees and they still hadn't arrived we told them to cancel the order. Lobster curry was delicious. Service was friendly. That's it.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best oyster happy hour in the citygingerdinerVIPDined on 8/1/2014We love coming to crave for their $1 oysters from 5-7pm every weekday!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- $1 oysters at happy hour drew us inLexyDined on 7/29/2014We stayed for cauliflower soup with fried clam bellies, swordfish and asparagus, broccolini with a sublime sauce cooked perfectly and a warm chocolate chip cookie. I WANT A COOKBOOK as we live in California and only get to NYC a few times a year. Service on the veranda was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Raw Bar BUTallenpinnacleVIPDined on 7/28/2014The raw bar was fabulous. Very fresh as if it were just caught. However, the salad was VERY small for a main course. Bottom line: great fresh seafood but small portions.Special Features:
- The following 407 reviews are from the Crave Fishbar reviews archive.
- COOUL BE BETTER ...MARYMARYDined on 7/25/2014EXTREMELY NOISY .. MOST OF THE FOOD WAS JUST OK .. SAUVIGNON BLANC WAS VERY GOOD .. SERVICE MEETS MINIMUM NOT GOOD VALUE -- DEFINITELY OVERPRICED!! WANTED IT TO BE A LOT BETTER AND I THINK IT CAN BE!!Special Features:
- FunKingstreetVIPDined on 7/23/2014Second time here, food was great, wine selections are excellent and all in all a reasonably priced menu. Very friendly and accommodating service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The crab was old!!NYCFoodieDined on 7/23/2014The place has a nice atmosphere and the appetizers were good but the crab that I ordered was so foul that I had to spit it out! With raw seafood on the table, this ruined my appetite...Special Features:
- fresh fresh fresh fish/seafoodilesinaVIPDined on 7/20/2014food was good- very fresh, high quality seafood. sat outdoor area in front. inside had beautiful decor. ordered the prawn app, shrimp cocktail, jumbo lump crab & grilled swordfish, & fried chicken leg.loved the couscous with cheese that came with the chicken, tasted like mac & cheese. all delicious items. recommend all. food is a bit pricey but worth it.Special Features:
- Seafood was so nice.GoroDined on 7/19/2014Octopus, tuna was very delicious. Unfortunately, Crave was so clouded by a lot of people. We invited the table which locate close to the entrance. I would like to choose more silent place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great and freshOystersforbuckDined on 7/18/2014Went for oysters happy hour $1 oyster can't beat that. Great choice of oysters few dozens of west and east Cost. Super fresh. Waitress was super nice. Will be back!!!Special Features:
- 10/10 for meEnn104Dined on 7/18/2014This is my favorite oyster happy hour spot. Aside from the best selection of $1.00 oysters (entire menu) the rest of the food I had was amazing. I had the Quiet Clam gin cocktail, an assortment of oysters, the spicy scallop app and the cavatelli pasta. Literally exactly my perfect meal. I'm so happy this restaurant is in my neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good food, good serviceErinkoDined on 7/18/2014I loved the place, very good food especially their oysters :) Atomosphere is bit energetic, so I don't recommend for the people who prefers quite and romantic dinner though!Special Features:
- Great food, but it can be loudDavidCDined on 7/17/2014I can unreservedly say that overall the food at Crave was very good, and the fish (salmon and swordfish) were excellent. If I was rating the fish alone, it is five stars. Service was also very good despite the fact that it was extremely busy when we dined there. There is a pretty well chosen wine list and the by-the-glass choices also offer some nice options to accompany a meal. However, for us the restaurant was too loud to enjoy a normal conversation without having to speak at an abnormal volume. But with that caution, I would certainly recommend it to anyone looking for a good seafood option in east midtown.
- Local favoriteChicagoTexanVIPDined on 7/16/2014Judging by my surrounding table-mates (family birthday party, father-daughter dinner, friends getting together), and a packed house on a weekday, I gathered this is a local fave, not a tourist trap. I dined alone but had excellent service from my Aussie or Zealander server who was knowledgeable of the menu and helped narrow my choices from a varied menu that includes crudos, shrimp and scallops for appetizers, seafood, steak and lamb for entrees and inventive cocktails and superb homemade ice cream (you get 3 flavors in one order)! Had a very satisfying meal in a welcoming atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 7/16/2014Get the spicy scallop and west coast oysters- enough said!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simple Seafood Specialist inMidtownCFMcGVIPDined on 7/15/2014Take this review with a grain of salt as I avoided the Raw Bar later in the summer - that could revive their menu in ways it appears lacking otherwise. The Happy Hour appears quite popular, but the menu is all over the place with a lobster curry, next to hoisin seared yellowtail, and grilled swordfish with eggplant caponata. If you love fish, there's variety, but it appears a little too forced.
- NJnNYDined on 7/14/2014While the $1 oyster Happy Hour fills the place, once it is over Crave settles down and service becomes more professional. I would recommend not going until after 7:00pm when the HH endsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- enjoyableesp33Dined on 7/12/2014this place was packed on a saturday night at 10pm. food was delicious. cauliflower soup was packed with flavor. grilled octopus was tender and the greens it came with was delicious. pan seared tuna cooked and seasoned well. squid ink pasta was not worth ordering. ordered lobster curry as recommended by reviews, which is fairly spicy and loaded with seafood. its nothing special if you've had good thai curry. However, still delicious but i came with high expectations. great place with loaded bar.Special Features:
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/12/2014Honestly one of the best meals in recent memory. The food was amazing and was complimented by the great service and atmosphere. We can't wait to return!Special Features:
- disappointedVIPDined on 7/12/2014Interesting seafood selections. Delicious calamari, remarkable octopus and nice wine. Lamb ribs far too fatty to eat. Solid fat with a negligible shred of meat.
- Great service, fine, not great foodmbmbDined on 7/11/2014The service at Crave Fishbar was really good and the menu seemed very interesting. Sadly, when the food came each dish was not very flavorful. I was looking forward to going to this restaurant for a long time, and I was disappointed. We had Plancha Grilled Octopus, Lobster Curry, Handmade Squid Ink Spaghetti (this was the best dish).Special Features:
- Awesome OysterNatalie28145Dined on 7/11/2014Very nice restaurant. Food is always fresh. Great environment and it is definitely a hidden gem.Special Features:
- the place to go for oystersOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/9/2014especially during the happy hour. great selection of oysters and drinks.Special Features:
- Great $1 Oyster Happy HourTrish31TriDined on 7/9/2014I went with my bf and another couple. The waitress was nice and we had good service but it took a long time to get each plate of oysters (you can only order a max of 24 at a time). I'm not sure if that's their plan to minimize how much you eat, but for the amount of prep it takes to bring out a tray of oysters, it was a little ridiculous. Regardless, we had a great time and it's definitely a very cute restaurant. I think it would make a great date place as well.Special Features:
- Terrific foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/6/2014The food was wonderful and the service fairly attentive. I had the tuna and my companions had the swordfish and the scallops. All of these dishes were wonderful. We shared the delicious Caesar salad which was fresh and tasty. Coconut creme brûlée was wonderful too. Only downside is that the portions are a bit on the small side.
- InterestingSinglereedVIPDined on 7/6/2014Food and service were excellent with some strange elements. Lobster curry, a Thai dish, was delicious but needed rice or noodles to compliment the wonderful sauce. Similarly, the tuna tartare was excellent but not served with crackers or toast.Special Features:
- Great spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/3/2014Took my teenager daughter here for father/daughter date night. We had a great time. Oysters were fantastic, grilled octopus was flavorful and tender. Will def go back on a real date. Well done!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fresh creative fooddinearoundVIPDined on 7/2/2014I had a delicious lunch here. The fish tacos are excellent and my friend had a great sandwich. The restaurant was bustling and had some larger groups for lunch but we received excellent service. Would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great seafoodamatuerchefVIPDined on 6/30/2014warm friendly service is only surpassed by fresh, cold oysters. The tuna tartar was light and flavorful and was were the spicy scallops. main dishes did not disappoint as the swordfish was thick and moist and the lobster curry was spicy but not overbearing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maximum amounts should be by personZstarDined on 6/30/2014Everything is delicious, but they have a maximum amount of oysters/alcohol you can order during happy hour no matter the size of your party. we had 6 people and couldn't even get 6 oysters per person, which is standard, or a full glass of alcohol per person since you can only get one bottle at a time. It was a bit annoying. A person alone could get 2 dozen and a whole bottle to themselves, which is more the norm there, since large parties have a harder time enjoying the happy hour. Will still go back as the oysters and bubbly are delish.
- good food, ridiculously bad servicefoodlover93Dined on 6/27/2014-we had a reservatiom but it took forever for them to get us seated -took 45min for our oysters to get there -when we asked about our food, the dude's only response was *shrug* "happy hour" -very very bad serviceSpecial Features:
- Love the fishC4times3VIPDined on 6/21/2014Excellent fish restaurant wit nautical decor. Excellent service. Tables area little tight.Special Features:
- Delicious oystersJenniferVIPDined on 6/18/2014Wide variety of fresh, succulent oysters. The options have changed every time I have returned - this is a restaurant that gets the best and freshest oysters available daily and offers them up for $1 a pop during happy hour. I have returned several times for this reason alone!Special Features:
- Food is worth ithankhnyDined on 6/15/2014Small table, low light, ok wines by the glass and the lobster curry was outstanding..Special Features:
- Crave is incredible!CiciVIPDined on 6/15/2014We had Sunday brunch (Fathers Day) there and all four of us loved it. The food was creative and very tasty and the service was the best! They have a very small patio but a great place to people watch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous fish story!!!!FrequentfoodieDined on 6/12/2014I was told about this restaurant and decided to try it. Being from Boston, the Capitol of fishdom, I was skeptical ..... But this restaurant was absolutely amazing. Great menu. Great service. Impeccable presentation - perfectly cooked. Nice wine and beer list. Never felt rushed. A true 11 on a scale from 1 to 10!!!!!!! Go there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very GoodDaddyDined on 6/9/2014Monday oyster and wine specials were fantastic. Great spot to bring a girl on a date. Staff is accomodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Different in a great wayNyfoodieVIPDined on 6/8/2014All of the fish had great/different flavor profiles! Everything was tasty and fresh. My family and I enjoyed it all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday nightLocalVIPDined on 6/7/2014Food was creative, fresh, and delicious. Wait staff and manager was very attentive. Will definitely come back for more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food great locationKarenDined on 6/7/2014Was in town for business but was able to sneak away for dinner with an old friend. It was the perfect spot. We enjoyed the food and our outside table was perfect for taking in the view and catching up without a lot of noise or crowd. I will definitely go there again when I am in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.