945 2nd Avenue
New York, NY 10022Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cravefishbar.com/
- Phone: (646) 895-9585
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:30pm - 9:00pm
Lunch: Monday-Friday: 11:30am-2pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Wine Bar, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Todd Mitgang
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Crave Fishbar
Crave Fishbar is a vibrant, convivial restaurant in Midtown Manhattan serving an inspired seafood menu from chef Todd Mitgang. An eclectic mix of reclaimed materials and custom made chairs and tables lend a beachy, rustic feel to the space, which houses a 25-foot-long bar where guests can order from the full dinner menu along with cocktails and wine from a mounted bottle display. Approachable, sophisticated dishes feature local seafood, crudos, and meat dishes that are thoughtfully prepared with both familiar and exotic ingredients. Crave Fishbar has taken its place as a neighborhood fixture, providing locals and newcomers alike with a elegant, inviting experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Crave Fishbar reviews from OpenTable diners
215 reviews since August 1, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (135)fit for foodies (125)good for groups (50)great for lunch (37)hot spot (35)vibrant bar scene (33)great for outdoor dining (31)romantic (30)notable wine list (29)special occasion (24)great for brunch (13)late-night find (12)scenic view (4)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- Special Find!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/23/2014Excellent selection of oysters and you can't beat the happy hour price! Excellent food and service! Would definitely come back.Special Features:
- Great findBillVIPDined on 9/23/2014This is a great find in midtown. Dishes were excellent and unique making this a very enjoyable evening experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappoints!HedgehogVIPDined on 9/22/2014Has to be one of the best fish places around for the quality and creativity of the dishes. Everything is stellar, not just the freshness and preparation of the seafood itself but also the attention to detail on the sides and sauces, as well as the presentation. A memorable dining experience. The room is dark and a bit cramped, and service can be a little quirky (though always well-meaning) but who cares because you will be in heaven from the food. Light-years ahead of the overrated BLT Fish.Special Features:
- Cozy andEnergetic:Is that possible?SeafoodLoversDined on 9/22/2014It wasn't first time we were here, we will be back soon, definitely.Special Features:
- Good innovative foodilariaDined on 9/21/2014Went with a friend, we're looking for a simple but good meal. This absolutely hit the spot. The decor and ambiance was more vibrant than expected, so that was already a plus. The menu had innovative twists to dishes, without being too whimsical. Prices were pretty decent for seafood and wine in New York, too. Service was attentive and helpful, not pushy at all. Thumbs upSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- In Cod We TrustLindsayJVIPDined on 9/19/2014Crave Fishbar has a great menu with a wide variety of seafood options. One tip: the menu online is a bit different from the one at the restaurant. I ordered the Local Diver Scallops (tomatillo avocado salsa, charred corn, butter lettuce) and they were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the OystersOpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 9/18/2014Happy Hour is fantastic! Such a good way to ease into the night!Special Features:
- A little from column ADGNYCVIPDined on 9/16/2014So I made a reservation and upon arrival I was told that the kitchen was closing at 10pm. Mind you my reservation was for 9:45pm. I hate when restaurants do that. I sat down, called the friend who was running late and picked out some items from the menu for us to share. I got the order in before the clock struck 10pm. Some appetizers were amazing like the tomato and blue crab while others were unbalanced like the calamari. We shared the tuna entree which was off the charts wonderful which made up for some of the lackluster dishes. Thankfully the server was terrific and help make an evening that started out on the wrong foot end up okay. I will probably be back because Crave is around the corner, but I wouldn't make a special trip.
- Delicious as alwaysJojoVIPDined on 9/15/2014We love Crave Fishbar's creative and interesting menu. We have never had a bad meal here. The fish is fresh and delicious and the wine list is interesting. My husband loves the restaurant's Cheladas.Special Features:
- Great dinnerHoward53Dined on 9/15/2014Started dinner with shared plate of two dozen oysters and then had the lobster curry as the main course. Great dinner all around. Wines were quite good as well.Special Features:
- Couldn't quite get it togetherRickVIPDined on 9/14/2014Sorry, I can't recommend this place. Ordered the roasted cauliflower soup. It was so heavy and fatty I felt like I was eating a bowl of lard. Ordered the poached hake. It took a while to come out, and then it was room temperature. I told the waiter, and he was very nice, but said, "Yeah, when you poach fish it doesn't get very hot. We get that complaint a lot." He gladly replaced it with the salmon, which was fine, but not memorable. Really didn't enjoy my meal here.
- TunasobepsychVIPDined on 9/14/2014Really well prepared rare tuna dishes. Fresh, simply presented fish.Special Features:
- Always a homerun!VeggieVixenDined on 9/12/2014Loved this restaurant ever since it opened. It's a big favorite and everyone I bring there - friends, family, work colleagues - all have found the food outstanding and the restaurant itself very beautiful. They are quite accommodating with any dietary restrictions and have a great cocktail list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun placeOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/12/2014Most food very good. One main (of 4) ordinary. Slow service on cocktails but overall enjoyable.
- best dollar oysterRestaurantWeekLoverDined on 9/12/2014best dollar oyster happy hour! must make reservation to secure table.Special Features:
- Fantastic fish and servicejennymac80Dined on 9/11/2014What a lovely restaurant. I went with a companion who is suffering from some dietary problems. The waiter was patient and talked us through the menu, pointing out how the restaurant could amend certain dishes for her. The food we received was lovely. Great calamari.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must for fish lovers.fishfanaticDined on 9/10/2014Whether you enjoy raw or cooked fish, this is an excellent restaurant, with imaginative combinations reflecting Asiatic influences, as well as classic simple dishes. The atmosphere is loud and lively, which reflects the neighbourhood where the restaurant is situated. The range of drinks is extensive and well suited to the dishes offered. The service is excellent and the wait between ordering and the food arriving was very short.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great birthday dinnercrysthalizedDined on 9/10/2014I took my best friend for her birthday. We sat outside on the second floor. Its cute and quaint up there. They have an interesting cocktail selection to start the night off with. Dollar oysters from 5 to 7 is a must. Carlos our wonderful waiter recommended the fried calamari, it was one of the best Ive had and Im not a big fan of most fried calamari. The scallops were cooked just to the right temperature and so was the salmon. Dessert was an amazing warm giant chocolate chip cookie with ice-cream on top. We ordered a second one immediately after devouring the first one. My friend and I were not rushed to leave and stayed a while chatting. I would definitely return in the near future for another girls night out.Special Features:
- Great Oysters!FoodyholicVIPDined on 9/8/2014I love oysters and I like the fact that they have an average of 15 kinds to choose from. Their dishes are well prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- W left hungryJustcatoDined on 9/7/2014After having both apps and entrees, 3 out of 4 of us were still a tad hungry when we left this restaurant. The bill was almost $400. This was highlighted by the serving of tuna, for $30, as an entree. It was, quite literally, THREE small slabs of seared fish. Definitely an appetizer portion, masquerading as dinner! My curried lobster was a little more substantial, but I was shocked that they did not include rice with the dinner. When I asked the waiter, thinking he had just forgotten it, he asked me if I wanted to order some! Unbelievable! This place is just too cool for school. It was packed with twenty somethings, who must have eaten before they came.
- Happy HourNeighborhoodgemVIPDined on 9/5/2014We love this place for happy hour- half price oysters and champagne. Excellent choise!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sea food gemDiningKingVIPDined on 9/5/2014Fantastic and fresh oysters and clams. Perfectly chucked. Tasty appetizers specially the calamari, best in town. Fresh fish always excellent. Grouper Mahi Mahi snapper always fresh and perfectly cooked. You can make a meal out of a few appetizers or traditional dining. Always delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great happy hourOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/4/2014Half price bottles of sparkling and $1 oysters are the best part! Wait staff is friendly, knowledgable and attentive. Apps and entrees were great as well - definitely recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh fish prepared wellOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/4/2014The fish is perfectly prepared. Fried selections were lightly coated and expertly cooked. It was a good value and the service was friendly and professional. I was pleased to find such a charming lunch spot.Special Features:
- Oyster/seafood gemOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/29/2014Loved it- food was delicious- the noise however was a constant buzz so not for intimate conversation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/28/2014Had a pretty long wait time for the food and we got one bad clam, but over all it was pretty good.Special Features:
- Great midtown restaurant!Lb366VIPDined on 8/27/2014SO good! Every ingredient is so fresh and each dish carefully prepared. The ambiance is coastal and rustic. The service is a little slow- but more time to enjoy the meal!Special Features:
- benjipDined on 8/21/2014with the Colochiccio name, the place is a winner from the get-go.Fine service, ample portions, and a super view from the East river outdoor area.Dined there 3 times and was not every disappointed. The kitchen is especially good at complying with your requests,(ie: The birkshire pork chop was beautifully pink as was requested.)A great find in lower Manhattan. BenjipSpecial Features:
- $1 oystersGaryVIPDined on 8/20/2014Not bad choices for a happy hour. lots of selections and they are all deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Crave to returnHungryDined on 8/20/2014The fish tacos were delicious. The prawn cocktail a classic. The calamari was the best I have ever had and the mint in it was inspired. The crab toast was sublime. The decor is beautifully done, wonderful ambience with stunning food to match. We went a selection of 4 starters which was the perfect way to try out a variation of dishes and always more fun I think than one big entre.Special Features:
- I love CraveSiben1VIPDined on 8/18/2014Crave is my "go to" place in Midtown because that's where I live. But everyone I take there returns, no matter where they live. The food is great. The menu is unique and not contrived. The service is warm and not intrusive. The décor is very interesting, fun and also not intrusive.Special Features:
- DrFeelgoodVIPDined on 8/16/2014Great oysters. Excellent selection. The fish was Delicious. (Arctic Char)Special Features:
- Noisy but worth itOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/12/2014We went around 7:30 on a rainy evening. As a result we took an inside table, one near the bar rather than the back room. The bar, while long and itself enticing is in a narrow area so the tables are close. Its ok if you don't mind sort of yelling to talk to each other. Don't know what the back room was like. At the same time the food came out in stark contrast to the bar scene. It was delicious and really presented well. Plated beautifully and right sized portions, both of us cleaned our plates. My guest had the scallops and I the salmon. We both eat this kind of dish a lot and this was right up there with the best of them. And watch out, the bread is sinful.Special Features:
- Flavor and new ideas,gusoctelDined on 8/9/2014Its rare you find a place where the taste of the food is so amazing.Special Features:
- WonderfulSalem68Dined on 8/9/2014Truly a gem of a restaurant. Amazing food set in a charming spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!CraigGDined on 8/7/2014I've dined here on numerous occasions and consider myself a fan. Their featured dishes are always creative and spot on. If you love bounties from the sea, come to Crave. Their wine list is well thought out and compliments their menu. Service is also professional, friendly and very attentive. Book a reservation in advance as this place fills up fast!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Forgot previous experience; mistakeMrSundayJohnsonVIPDined on 8/7/2014Let's start w/what's ok. Drinks? Fine. Service? Waitress was SO nice. But, alas, not her fault. Truly. The. Worst. Oysters. Ever. Period. > 35 minutes, & I was (almost) served 1.5 doz bivalves I didn't order. When the order came EVERY oyster had shell bits in the poor mollusk. Had ordered a doz. Stopped eating at 8. Seafood deserves better than this. DINERS deserve better than this. YET, as always, crowded-to-crazy with UESders who don't care about anything other than getting a "good" table. Don't waste your money.
- For the seafoodies!NewYorkSouthernBelleVIPDined on 8/6/2014Good restaurant for those looking for seafood around midtown. It's always fully booked, so plan/make a reservation a day or two before!Special Features:
- thorayaDined on 8/6/2014Great restaurant and great food. One of my favoriteSpecial Features:
- CREATIVELY DELICIOUSShellyS38VIPDined on 8/3/2014Just finished dinner there. Shell fish was cleaned and prepared well. Escarole Caesar"s salad with toasted shaved sun chokes very inventive.Best of all the curried lobster with tomatillos spiced well and delicious. Squid ink pasta with shrimp spiced perfectly. Filled to the brim we did not have dessert this time but in the past the desserts were very creative.Special Features: