945 2nd Avenue
New York, NY 10022Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cravefishbar.com/
- Phone: 6468959585
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:30pm - 9:00pm
Lunch: Monday-Friday: 11:30am-2pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Wine Bar, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Todd Mitgang
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Crave Fishbar
Crave Fishbar is a vibrant, convivial restaurant in Midtown Manhattan serving an inspired seafood menu from chef Todd Mitgang. An eclectic mix of reclaimed materials and custom made chairs and tables lend a beachy, rustic feel to the space, which houses a 25-foot-long bar where guests can order from the full dinner menu along with cocktails and wine from a mounted bottle display. Approachable, sophisticated dishes feature local seafood, crudos, and meat dishes that are thoughtfully prepared with both familiar and exotic ingredients. Crave Fishbar has taken its place as a neighborhood fixture, providing locals and newcomers alike with a elegant, inviting experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Crave Fishbar reviews from OpenTable diners
208 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (107)neighborhood gem (101)great for outdoor dining (47)vibrant bar scene (43)romantic (42)good for groups (42)great for lunch (36)special occasion (25)hot spot (23)notable wine list (23)great for brunch (19)late-night find (13)scenic view (4)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Great midtown restaurant!Lb366VIPDined on 8/27/2014SO good! Every ingredient is so fresh and each dish carefully prepared. The ambiance is coastal and rustic. The service is a little slow- but more time to enjoy the meal!Special Features:
- benjipDined on 8/21/2014with the Colochiccio name, the place is a winner from the get-go.Fine service, ample portions, and a super view from the East river outdoor area.Dined there 3 times and was not every disappointed. The kitchen is especially good at complying with your requests,(ie: The birkshire pork chop was beautifully pink as was requested.)A great find in lower Manhattan. BenjipSpecial Features:
- $1 oystersGaryVIPDined on 8/20/2014Not bad choices for a happy hour. lots of selections and they are all deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Crave to returnHungryDined on 8/20/2014The fish tacos were delicious. The prawn cocktail a classic. The calamari was the best I have ever had and the mint in it was inspired. The crab toast was sublime. The decor is beautifully done, wonderful ambience with stunning food to match. We went a selection of 4 starters which was the perfect way to try out a variation of dishes and always more fun I think than one big entre.Special Features:
- I love CraveSiben1VIPDined on 8/18/2014Crave is my "go to" place in Midtown because that's where I live. But everyone I take there returns, no matter where they live. The food is great. The menu is unique and not contrived. The service is warm and not intrusive. The décor is very interesting, fun and also not intrusive.Special Features:
- DrFeelgoodVIPDined on 8/16/2014Great oysters. Excellent selection. The fish was Delicious. (Arctic Char)Special Features:
- Noisy but worth itOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/12/2014We went around 7:30 on a rainy evening. As a result we took an inside table, one near the bar rather than the back room. The bar, while long and itself enticing is in a narrow area so the tables are close. Its ok if you don't mind sort of yelling to talk to each other. Don't know what the back room was like. At the same time the food came out in stark contrast to the bar scene. It was delicious and really presented well. Plated beautifully and right sized portions, both of us cleaned our plates. My guest had the scallops and I the salmon. We both eat this kind of dish a lot and this was right up there with the best of them. And watch out, the bread is sinful.Special Features:
- WonderfulSalem68Dined on 8/9/2014Truly a gem of a restaurant. Amazing food set in a charming spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!CraigGDined on 8/7/2014I've dined here on numerous occasions and consider myself a fan. Their featured dishes are always creative and spot on. If you love bounties from the sea, come to Crave. Their wine list is well thought out and compliments their menu. Service is also professional, friendly and very attentive. Book a reservation in advance as this place fills up fast!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Forgot previous experience; mistakeMrSundayJohnsonVIPDined on 8/7/2014Let's start w/what's ok. Drinks? Fine. Service? Waitress was SO nice. But, alas, not her fault. Truly. The. Worst. Oysters. Ever. Period. > 35 minutes, & I was (almost) served 1.5 doz bivalves I didn't order. When the order came EVERY oyster had shell bits in the poor mollusk. Had ordered a doz. Stopped eating at 8. Seafood deserves better than this. DINERS deserve better than this. YET, as always, crowded-to-crazy with UESders who don't care about anything other than getting a "good" table. Don't waste your money.
- For the seafoodies!NewYorkSouthernBelleDined on 8/6/2014Good restaurant for those looking for seafood around midtown. It's always fully booked, so plan/make a reservation a day or two before!Special Features:
- thorayaDined on 8/6/2014Great restaurant and great food. One of my favoriteSpecial Features:
- CREATIVELY DELICIOUSShellyS38VIPDined on 8/3/2014Just finished dinner there. Shell fish was cleaned and prepared well. Escarole Caesar"s salad with toasted shaved sun chokes very inventive.Best of all the curried lobster with tomatillos spiced well and delicious. Squid ink pasta with shrimp spiced perfectly. Filled to the brim we did not have dessert this time but in the past the desserts were very creative.Special Features:
- DisappointmentMissstsomewhereVIPDined on 8/2/2014We went for my birthday. We ordered the swordfish. My piece arrived fine, my husband's was mushy and undercooked and cold. They had it redone. It came out in about 2 min. and was a huge thick piece and cold and raw inside. Either it is bad fish or they don't know how to cook swordfish. We noticed it is mostly a raw bar so that must be their expertise. Not cooked fish. The manager, Lizzie, came over and apologized. They gave us desert menus. We sat for another 15 min. and no one came back to take our order. The waiter said he thought the manager was sending us something since they knew it was my birthday. She was standing by the door as we left and she apologized. They did take it off our bill but will not go back.
- AverageOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/1/2014We were sat downstairs which felt more hectic and noisy (but it was Friday night). Came here for oysters but they never arrived. We were told they might take a while but when we'd eaten our appetizers and were half way through our entrees and they still hadn't arrived we told them to cancel the order. Lobster curry was delicious. Service was friendly. That's it.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best oyster happy hour in the citygingerdinerVIPDined on 8/1/2014We love coming to crave for their $1 oysters from 5-7pm every weekday!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- $1 oysters at happy hour drew us inLexyDined on 7/29/2014We stayed for cauliflower soup with fried clam bellies, swordfish and asparagus, broccolini with a sublime sauce cooked perfectly and a warm chocolate chip cookie. I WANT A COOKBOOK as we live in California and only get to NYC a few times a year. Service on the veranda was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Raw Bar BUTallenpinnacleVIPDined on 7/28/2014The raw bar was fabulous. Very fresh as if it were just caught. However, the salad was VERY small for a main course. Bottom line: great fresh seafood but small portions.Special Features:
- COOUL BE BETTER ...OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/25/2014EXTREMELY NOISY .. MOST OF THE FOOD WAS JUST OK .. SAUVIGNON BLANC WAS VERY GOOD .. SERVICE MEETS MINIMUM NOT GOOD VALUE -- DEFINITELY OVERPRICED!! WANTED IT TO BE A LOT BETTER AND I THINK IT CAN BE!!Special Features:
- FunKingstreetDined on 7/23/2014Second time here, food was great, wine selections are excellent and all in all a reasonably priced menu. Very friendly and accommodating service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The crab was old!!NYCFoodieDined on 7/23/2014The place has a nice atmosphere and the appetizers were good but the crab that I ordered was so foul that I had to spit it out! With raw seafood on the table, this ruined my appetite...Special Features:
- fresh fresh fresh fish/seafoodilesinaVIPDined on 7/20/2014food was good- very fresh, high quality seafood. sat outdoor area in front. inside had beautiful decor. ordered the prawn app, shrimp cocktail, jumbo lump crab & grilled swordfish, & fried chicken leg.loved the couscous with cheese that came with the chicken, tasted like mac & cheese. all delicious items. recommend all. food is a bit pricey but worth it.Special Features:
- Seafood was so nice.GoroDined on 7/19/2014Octopus, tuna was very delicious. Unfortunately, Crave was so clouded by a lot of people. We invited the table which locate close to the entrance. I would like to choose more silent place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great and freshOystersforbuckDined on 7/18/2014Went for oysters happy hour $1 oyster can't beat that. Great choice of oysters few dozens of west and east Cost. Super fresh. Waitress was super nice. Will be back!!!Special Features:
- 10/10 for meEnn104Dined on 7/18/2014This is my favorite oyster happy hour spot. Aside from the best selection of $1.00 oysters (entire menu) the rest of the food I had was amazing. I had the Quiet Clam gin cocktail, an assortment of oysters, the spicy scallop app and the cavatelli pasta. Literally exactly my perfect meal. I'm so happy this restaurant is in my neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good food, good serviceErinkoDined on 7/18/2014I loved the place, very good food especially their oysters :) Atomosphere is bit energetic, so I don't recommend for the people who prefers quite and romantic dinner though!Special Features:
- Great food, but it can be loudDavidCDined on 7/17/2014I can unreservedly say that overall the food at Crave was very good, and the fish (salmon and swordfish) were excellent. If I was rating the fish alone, it is five stars. Service was also very good despite the fact that it was extremely busy when we dined there. There is a pretty well chosen wine list and the by-the-glass choices also offer some nice options to accompany a meal. However, for us the restaurant was too loud to enjoy a normal conversation without having to speak at an abnormal volume. But with that caution, I would certainly recommend it to anyone looking for a good seafood option in east midtown.
- Local favoriteChicagoTexanVIPDined on 7/16/2014Judging by my surrounding table-mates (family birthday party, father-daughter dinner, friends getting together), and a packed house on a weekday, I gathered this is a local fave, not a tourist trap. I dined alone but had excellent service from my Aussie or Zealander server who was knowledgeable of the menu and helped narrow my choices from a varied menu that includes crudos, shrimp and scallops for appetizers, seafood, steak and lamb for entrees and inventive cocktails and superb homemade ice cream (you get 3 flavors in one order)! Had a very satisfying meal in a welcoming atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 7/16/2014Get the spicy scallop and west coast oysters- enough said!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NJnNYDined on 7/14/2014While the $1 oyster Happy Hour fills the place, once it is over Crave settles down and service becomes more professional. I would recommend not going until after 7:00pm when the HH endsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- enjoyableesp33Dined on 7/12/2014this place was packed on a saturday night at 10pm. food was delicious. cauliflower soup was packed with flavor. grilled octopus was tender and the greens it came with was delicious. pan seared tuna cooked and seasoned well. squid ink pasta was not worth ordering. ordered lobster curry as recommended by reviews, which is fairly spicy and loaded with seafood. its nothing special if you've had good thai curry. However, still delicious but i came with high expectations. great place with loaded bar.Special Features:
- Amazing!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/12/2014Honestly one of the best meals in recent memory. The food was amazing and was complimented by the great service and atmosphere. We can't wait to return!Special Features:
- disappointedVIPDined on 7/12/2014Interesting seafood selections. Delicious calamari, remarkable octopus and nice wine. Lamb ribs far too fatty to eat. Solid fat with a negligible shred of meat.
- Great service, fine, not great foodmbmbDined on 7/11/2014The service at Crave Fishbar was really good and the menu seemed very interesting. Sadly, when the food came each dish was not very flavorful. I was looking forward to going to this restaurant for a long time, and I was disappointed. We had Plancha Grilled Octopus, Lobster Curry, Handmade Squid Ink Spaghetti (this was the best dish).Special Features:
- Awesome OysterNatalie28145Dined on 7/11/2014Very nice restaurant. Food is always fresh. Great environment and it is definitely a hidden gem.Special Features:
- the place to go for oystersOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/9/2014especially during the happy hour. great selection of oysters and drinks.Special Features:
- Great $1 Oyster Happy HourTrish31TriDined on 7/9/2014I went with my bf and another couple. The waitress was nice and we had good service but it took a long time to get each plate of oysters (you can only order a max of 24 at a time). I'm not sure if that's their plan to minimize how much you eat, but for the amount of prep it takes to bring out a tray of oysters, it was a little ridiculous. Regardless, we had a great time and it's definitely a very cute restaurant. I think it would make a great date place as well.Special Features:
- Terrific foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/6/2014The food was wonderful and the service fairly attentive. I had the tuna and my companions had the swordfish and the scallops. All of these dishes were wonderful. We shared the delicious Caesar salad which was fresh and tasty. Coconut creme brûlée was wonderful too. Only downside is that the portions are a bit on the small side.
- InterestingSinglereedVIPDined on 7/6/2014Food and service were excellent with some strange elements. Lobster curry, a Thai dish, was delicious but needed rice or noodles to compliment the wonderful sauce. Similarly, the tuna tartare was excellent but not served with crackers or toast.Special Features:
- Great spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/3/2014Took my teenager daughter here for father/daughter date night. We had a great time. Oysters were fantastic, grilled octopus was flavorful and tender. Will def go back on a real date. Well done!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.