Craigie on Main
853 Main Street
Cambridge, MA 02139Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
Craigie on Main
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.craigieonmain.com/
- Phone: 6174975511x
- Hours of Operation:
Dining Room: 5:30-10:00pm (10:30 Fri & Sat)
Bar: 5:30pm-12 Midnight
Late Night Bar Menu: Until 11:00 pm
Bar Drinks Served: 5:30-12:00 Midnight
Brunch: Sunday 10:30am-1:30pm
The "Chef's Whim" is available on Sunday evenings after 9:00 pm. Chef Tony Maws cooks for your table - either a $45 four-course or $57 six-course menu. Tony loves to cook and serve up impromptu dishes that may not be on the regular menu, and is at his most inventive, spontaneous, and generous. It’s never the same meal twice and your palates and pocketbooks are the winners! The “Chef’s Whim” is available in two versions only - “The Surprise” (which may contain meat and fish) and Vegetarian. We regret that there are no other selections or substitutions.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, French, Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Tony Maws
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Smoking Area, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private Dining Area for groups of over 12 for lunches or dinners Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Sunday evenings, or Sunday Brunch. Please contact us about a restaurant buyout any time.
- Private Party Contact: Kelley Hotti 6174975511x
- Cross Street: Main St. and Mass. Ave
- Public Transit: Central Square T Stop, the No. 1 bus at the Main Street stop
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: There is plenty of street parking and nearby parking lots. Valet Parking is always available at dinner (but not for Sunday Brunch).There is ample on- street parking nearby after 6 pm. There is a well-lit public parking lot one block away on Bishop Allen Drive (just behind the restaurant).
There is a paid parking lot at Le Meridien Hotel on the corner of Green St. and Sidney St.
A word from Craigie on Main
Eat out and feel at home! Chef Tony Maws - winner of the James Beard Award for Best Chef, Northeast - combines French-inspired “nose -to-tail refined rusticity” with ”no exceptions” local, seasonal, & organic or natural ingredients. Enjoy the bar (Food & Wine’s ”Top 100 in US”), ”Our Sunday Best Brunch”, and Tasting Menus …Thanks to GQ for naming us #2 (!) in 10 Best New US Restaurants, Food Network for “Best Breakfast in MA”, Boston Magazine for 2010 “Best Bigtime Chef” and Boston Globe for one of ”The 10 Most Influential Restaurants” of the decade. We are the third most popular restaurant in Boston, says Zagat and one of the Top 100 Wine Restaurants in the US, says Wine Enthusiast!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
Craigie on Main - Best Restaurants in Cambridge ›
Craigie on Main reviews from OpenTable diners
233 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (199)special occasion (152)neighborhood gem (94)romantic (87)notable wine list (83)hot spot (45)great for brunch (41)vibrant bar scene (21)good for groups (18)late-night find (11)great for lunch (8)kid-friendly (3)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Craigie on Main never disappointsOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/28/2014My husband and I love to come early and take a seat at the bar for dinner. The bar staff are very knowledgeable and their cocktails and wine suggestions are always spot-on. No other nearby restaurant does pork in so many delicious preparations. We love the ever-changing menu options. A real neighborhood gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceBklynHoboDined on 9/24/2014Craigie on Main definitely raises the bar in Cambridge. Every course was perfect as far as concept, flavor and execution. Service was on point with a friendly and professional staff. Would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ehhhBDdrewDined on 9/24/2014Went here for our 3rd anniversary after hearing great things. I can see how this place has a great reputation, but we were less than impressed. Started with the corn soup which was very good. Then my wife had Halibut and I had pork 3 ways. Her Halibut was not great (had a very strange seasoning that did not agree with us) and my pork was decent, but small. Could have used another third of the meat. Maybe on this particular Wednesday we caught them on an off night but in Cambridge, there are plenty of options and we will be trying others before coming back here.Special Features:
- Great Food and Wine PairingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/23/2014I like wine, but I don't know wine. I ordered the blue fish, asked the waitress what would pair well with it, and she nailed it. The portions were perfect and the texture and taste of the food was fantastic. Cheers to Craigie on Main!Special Features:
- Amazing Experience!alioopfoodieDined on 9/20/2014Couldn't have been happier with the spectacular service to match the beautiful ultimate tasting menue, great wine (recommended by our lovely waitress), and cozy but elegant atmosphere. Will definitely be going back for ant special occasions we have in the future and will be taking friends and family any chance we get!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not as great as i recallhlgesqDined on 9/20/2014Loved it in June. This time, not uniformly great, and service was barely attentive and sort of high-handed. Won't be rushing back.
- Very fullOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/20/2014The food was delicious but very over priced. I probably wouldn't come back due to cost which is unfortunate because the food and service were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasting menuCheddarDined on 9/18/2014Have eaten here before and had a wonderful experience in all aspects. This time had the tasting menu based on recommendations of other open table diners. I was disappointed, not a real breadth of variety in the dishes and not as eventive or flavorful as the regular menu in my opinion, at least on this evening. Also they served me the wrong wine and insinuated that was the one I had orderedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always something superbmacklDined on 9/13/2014High end, friendly, elegant where the food comes first. The chef is so creative something in every meal will be startlingly clever even magical making a meal here an experience. The menu changes with season and availability. Since choices are limited go early before crowd favorites run out. The bar has off menu gems like Highland Park scotches. Pricey and yet truly worth itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just Divine!TovahLovesAGoodMealDined on 9/12/2014As expected, the attention to detail in every aspect of our meal was obvious. The cocktails are noteworthy. The food, amazing and the service could not have been more attentive. It's a real treat! I highly recommend Craigie on Main. Just go!Special Features:
- Great!mcachaineDined on 9/7/2014Great food, great service, great place. Anyone who like good food should try this restaurant.Special Features:
- Better than everMaryorDined on 9/4/2014Hadn't been in a while and was anxious to see what they were up to. It was just a superb meal. There were six of us so we all got to taste each other's morsels. Everything was a standout from appetizers to dessert. Our friends were very impressed with the unusual wine list too, and they are very skeptical and hard to please.Special Features:
- TheflorentineDined on 8/30/2014The food is good , even if a little too salty . The service is so bad ! The waitress spent the entire night flirting with some guys on the table next to ours since they had ordered a 8 courses dinner. Shouldn't all clients be treated the same ? The portions are very small but it's typical in this kind of restaurants . The ambience is very cold when it comes to colts , too minimalistic and not very welcoming . But the chef is amazing and does wonders ! Never had so much good food!Special Features:
- Spectacular food and servicelolamadigan123VIPDined on 8/29/2014The food was fantastic, and was enhanced by the exceptional service - probably the best in Boston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best in bostonirrealityDined on 8/26/2014This restaurant really delivers on innovation. I have not been to a better, more creative restaurant in boston. Every course was perfectly balanced, and one leaves satisfied at the end of the meal.Special Features:
- Dinner for TwoMotochefdineDined on 8/26/2014It had been 7 years since we ate at Craigie street bistro. We were both excited to eat here for my wife's birthday celebration. Service was excellent. My wife's Lactose intolerance was handled extremely well. 5 course was the perfect amount! So happy with our meal and service. Well done!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ScientistVIPDined on 8/24/2014Craigie is one of my two favorite restaurants in the greater Boston area. The food is always outstanding! We've been coming here to celebrate birthdays for a few years now and we always know we have an incredible meal and wonderful dining experience. We will keep going back as long as we are able!Special Features:
- Wonderful!JLSHDined on 8/24/2014My kids had given us a gift certificate over a year ago, but since we rarely get into Cambridge (we are from NH and usually go straight to Boston), we had not gone until last Sunday for brunch. We were so glad we did--the menu is really interesting, the wait staff superb, the ambiance is upbeat and fun. We asked our server for recommendations, and are glad we did. We will definitely be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful meal...02130EpicureansDined on 8/22/2014We had heard good things about Craigie on Main for years and finally had dinner there on the occasion of our anniversary. It didn't disappoint. We both had the Chef's 6-course tasting menu, which was superb. The courses spanned a variety of styles, everything from sushi starters to seared pork belly, but it all worked together. The waitstaff were extremely friendly, knowledgeable and attentive. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- Fabulous taste experienceNHfoodieDined on 8/22/2014Our food experience was wonderful with highly unique dishes using ingredients that added depth without being over the top. My sturgeon was sublime and my husband loved the pigs tails. The flavors in the octopus dish were a fascinating mix of tart and savory. Dessert was also special and out of the ordinary. One thing I was not prepared for was the level of noise from the kitchen. Clearly you go for the food.Special Features:
- Amazing food!FoodieDined on 8/22/2014The best food I have had in my entire life! I wish I could eat here weekly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/21/2014I have allergies. First plate had the item I was specifically allergic too. Apologies were given. Kitchen apologized. Just wish I didn't have to catch it. And, I guess, considering I would have ended up in the hospital if "I" didn't catch it, they would have taken care of some part of the bill. I enjoyed the dinner, but I guess some accommodation would have been nice considering I could have ended up in the hospital.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Destination diningPatrickDined on 8/20/2014After reading the book about this place ( Back of the House: The secret life of a restaurant ) I was compelled to make a reservation the next time I was in Boston. Coming from California, I was hoping to be impressed and boy, was I. The waitstaff was young, informed and had what I call the "service" mentality without being condescending. Each encounter was equally measured, well versed and most importantly, had that quality all restaurant's should encourage from anyone who interacts with the public. In a short sentence, fine dining, in a casual setting, Craigie's on Main retains and insists on attention to detail. The 8 course tasting menu was awesome from start to finish with perfectly cooked, seasoned and presented dishes. Bravo!!!Special Features:
- Great Sunday BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/17/2014The 5 star review is for Sunday brunch. Have heard dinner is overrated fom friends who have gone. Food is very rich, so even though the portions look small, you'll probably feel full if you just wait 20 minutes after eating. Love the beef cheek/tongue hash and burger. The burger comes with wedge potato fries and homemade ketchup - all very good. They also have have real fresh-squeezed OJ, which can be tough to find. I suppose the only downside is it's relatively pricey for brunch ($18 for the hash dish and $4 gets you a pretty small glass of juice), but it's not bad in absolute dollar terms given it's brunch items and not dinner.Special Features:
- 2nd visit,OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014We fell in love of the ambience, location and exquisite food at the Craigie Street Bistro years ago. We received a gift certificate to the "new" restaurant and saved it for a special occasion. We had our meal in August. The ambience was meh! We were seated next to a couple with, surprise! their one year old. The choices were varied, interesting and included something for me a non-red meat eater. Unfortunately the dish was too salty, covering any nuance of flavors. So sad. The desserts however were absolutely delicious. I cannot say enough about the staff. They were attentive without hovering or being intrusive, and anticipated our needs. Kudos to them. Thank yo for a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- expensive course tastingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/14/2014For 98 dollars per six-course serving, the meal was underwhelming. Our total meal was 300 dollars but I would value it at 150 - 175 based on the quality and quantity of the dishes. Perhaps choosing an entree over the tasting is the better approach to use when dining at Craigie's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Birthday DinnerMarlsDined on 8/12/2014A lovely place! We did the chef's tasting and most of the courses were great. The sea bass tail was divine--I had to stop my dining partner from chewing on the bones.Special Features:
- Wonderful meal!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/10/2014We loved Craigie! Had been wanting to go for a while and loved everything about it. Exceeded expectations! Fantastic food, an extensive wine list and great vibe. That foie gras sausage was one of the best bites of the year!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food experienceprfoodie1Dined on 8/10/2014We went for the chef's tasting menu since we were celebrating a special occasion. Very hard to let someone decide what to eat but if you are adventurous and willing to try new things then the chef's tasting menu is perfect. The food was beautifully presented and the portions were the right amount for a 6 course meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant spaceCbarojaDined on 8/10/2014I had brunch on a date and found the restaurant very pleasant, comfortable, and intimate. Highly recommend it for a romantic rendezvous. The food is good but almost a let down after all the fussiness on the menu and the waiters' descriptions.Special Features:
- Craigie on MainOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014Food was great and affordable., Service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative Craigie!leniVIPDined on 8/9/2014Utterly awesome! The food is outstanding in every way. I wanted to savor every morsel and was so very sorry when I had cleaned my plate; I wished I could lick it. My only complaint was that there were so many tasty things on the menu, it was hard to choose. The wine list was reasonably priced and excellent. The restaurant is a bit noisy, but it was a Saturday and they were BUSY! It was not so loud you had to shout to be heard. I can't wait to find a reason to come backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Crushing it with hospitalityAllergictotrendsDined on 8/8/2014Olivia made our night so memorable. The staff here works like a well-oiled machine with a passion for food and drink.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing 6 course dinner!StavieVIPDined on 8/6/2014Every single dish was a perfection. Definitely we'll go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wedding AnniversaryChappydinersDined on 8/3/2014We celebrated our 12th wedding anniversary here. From a warm greeting and merry wishes from the hostess to the complimentary bubbly when we sat down. Along with a delightful six course tasting menu, and amazing bottle of wine, the wait staff was happy, helpful, and perfect. We will come back again and again. Just wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible burger at brunchMollyVIPDined on 8/3/2014We love Craigie for dinner: we've been there several times and have enjoyed their delectable and creative tasting menus. This was our first time trying Craigie for brunch and we were disappointed. I got the fish sandwich on a bagel which was delightful, and my husband got the burger. His expectations were high, and he was thoroughly disappointed: the brioche bun was too oily for the additionally oily patty. The burger was beyond rare in the middle to the point of being inedible. The ketchup was runny and not particularly flavorful. Even the lettuce was limp. We'll be back for dinner, but not brunch.
- SublimeRealtorMomVIPDined on 8/3/2014Perfection. Cocktails, food, service. Any way you want it done. Enough said.Special Features:
- It lives up to all the reviewsFredofLexDined on 8/2/2014The tasting menu has to be experienced to be believed - it is just that special and just that good. Service was extremely good - friendly, knowledgeable, flexible. We practically closed the place - we got to watch them cleaning the kitchen - but there was no pressure to move on. The valet parked my car right outside the window next to which we we sitting. We loved the old venue, but Craigie-on-Main is even better - a true gem, pricey, but not absurd. This is in keeping with ambience - not at all pretentious - vibrant, ful of good cheer. An absolute winner.Special Features:
- Creative, delicious foodMjBertoDined on 8/1/2014Went with another couple and had a GREAT time. Food was DELICIOUS! Hands down, one of the best, most creative meals we've had a in a long time. We weren't crazy about some of the things that we ordered, but felt like we could order it here (e.g. head cheese! knew it might not be for us - and it wasn't - but trusted this place). Trust was well-placed, for sure! Staff was friendly, responsive, and respectful of our space. Price was expensive, but worth it. Love, love, love this place - will come back for sure.Special Features:
- Best dinner ever?PeterVIPDined on 8/1/2014We cannot think of a better dining experience, including times all around the world. Amazing food. Casual elegance. Terrific service- attentive, non intrusive, highly knowledgeable and fun. Each of them recalled my mentioning the birthday celebration. Truly exquisite, all around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.