Craigie on Main
853 Main Street
Cambridge, MA 02139Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
Craigie on Main
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.craigieonmain.com/
- Phone: 6174975511x
- Hours of Operation:
Dining Room: 5:30-10:00pm (10:30 Fri & Sat)
Bar: 5:30pm-12 Midnight
Late Night Bar Menu: Until 11:00 pm
Bar Drinks Served: 5:30-12:00 Midnight
Brunch: Sunday 10:30am-1:30pm
The "Chef's Whim" is available on Sunday evenings after 9:00 pm. Chef Tony Maws cooks for your table - either a $45 four-course or $57 six-course menu. Tony loves to cook and serve up impromptu dishes that may not be on the regular menu, and is at his most inventive, spontaneous, and generous. It’s never the same meal twice and your palates and pocketbooks are the winners! The “Chef’s Whim” is available in two versions only - “The Surprise” (which may contain meat and fish) and Vegetarian. We regret that there are no other selections or substitutions.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, French, Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Tony Maws
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Smoking Area, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private Dining Area for groups of over 12 for lunches or dinners Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Sunday evenings, or Sunday Brunch. Please contact us about a restaurant buyout any time.
- Private Party Contact: Kelley Hotti 6174975511x
- Cross Street: Main St. and Mass. Ave
- Public Transit: Central Square T Stop, the No. 1 bus at the Main Street stop
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: There is plenty of street parking and nearby parking lots. Valet Parking is always available at dinner (but not for Sunday Brunch).There is ample on- street parking nearby after 6 pm. There is a well-lit public parking lot one block away on Bishop Allen Drive (just behind the restaurant).
There is a paid parking lot at Le Meridien Hotel on the corner of Green St. and Sidney St.
A word from Craigie on Main
Eat out and feel at home! Chef Tony Maws - winner of the James Beard Award for Best Chef, Northeast - combines French-inspired “nose -to-tail refined rusticity” with ”no exceptions” local, seasonal, & organic or natural ingredients. Enjoy the bar (Food & Wine’s ”Top 100 in US”), ”Our Sunday Best Brunch”, and Tasting Menus …Thanks to GQ for naming us #2 (!) in 10 Best New US Restaurants, Food Network for “Best Breakfast in MA”, Boston Magazine for 2010 “Best Bigtime Chef” and Boston Globe for one of ”The 10 Most Influential Restaurants” of the decade. We are the third most popular restaurant in Boston, says Zagat and one of the Top 100 Wine Restaurants in the US, says Wine Enthusiast!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Craigie on Main - Best Restaurants in Cambridge ›
Craigie on Main reviews from OpenTable diners
249 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (208)special occasion (169)neighborhood gem (102)romantic (97)notable wine list (94)hot spot (47)great for brunch (46)vibrant bar scene (23)good for groups (17)late-night find (15)great for lunch (7)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- TheflorentineDined on 8/30/2014The food is good , even if a little too salty . The service is so bad ! The waitress spent the entire night flirting with some guys on the table next to ours since they had ordered a 8 courses dinner. Shouldn't all clients be treated the same ? The portions are very small but it's typical in this kind of restaurants . The ambience is very cold when it comes to colts , too minimalistic and not very welcoming . But the chef is amazing and does wonders ! Never had so much good food!Special Features:
- Spectacular food and servicelolamadigan123VIPDined on 8/29/2014The food was fantastic, and was enhanced by the exceptional service - probably the best in Boston.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the best in bostonirrealityDined on 8/26/2014This restaurant really delivers on innovation. I have not been to a better, more creative restaurant in boston. Every course was perfectly balanced, and one leaves satisfied at the end of the meal.Special Features:
- ScientistVIPDined on 8/24/2014Craigie is one of my two favorite restaurants in the greater Boston area. The food is always outstanding! We've been coming here to celebrate birthdays for a few years now and we always know we have an incredible meal and wonderful dining experience. We will keep going back as long as we are able!Special Features:
- Wonderful!JLSHDined on 8/24/2014My kids had given us a gift certificate over a year ago, but since we rarely get into Cambridge (we are from NH and usually go straight to Boston), we had not gone until last Sunday for brunch. We were so glad we did--the menu is really interesting, the wait staff superb, the ambiance is upbeat and fun. We asked our server for recommendations, and are glad we did. We will definitely be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful meal...02130EpicureansDined on 8/22/2014We had heard good things about Craigie on Main for years and finally had dinner there on the occasion of our anniversary. It didn't disappoint. We both had the Chef's 6-course tasting menu, which was superb. The courses spanned a variety of styles, everything from sushi starters to seared pork belly, but it all worked together. The waitstaff were extremely friendly, knowledgeable and attentive. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- Fabulous taste experienceNHfoodieDined on 8/22/2014Our food experience was wonderful with highly unique dishes using ingredients that added depth without being over the top. My sturgeon was sublime and my husband loved the pigs tails. The flavors in the octopus dish were a fascinating mix of tart and savory. Dessert was also special and out of the ordinary. One thing I was not prepared for was the level of noise from the kitchen. Clearly you go for the food.Special Features:
- Amazing food!FoodieDined on 8/22/2014The best food I have had in my entire life! I wish I could eat here weekly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/21/2014I have allergies. First plate had the item I was specifically allergic too. Apologies were given. Kitchen apologized. Just wish I didn't have to catch it. And, I guess, considering I would have ended up in the hospital if "I" didn't catch it, they would have taken care of some part of the bill. I enjoyed the dinner, but I guess some accommodation would have been nice considering I could have ended up in the hospital.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Destination diningPatrickDined on 8/20/2014After reading the book about this place ( Back of the House: The secret life of a restaurant ) I was compelled to make a reservation the next time I was in Boston. Coming from California, I was hoping to be impressed and boy, was I. The waitstaff was young, informed and had what I call the "service" mentality without being condescending. Each encounter was equally measured, well versed and most importantly, had that quality all restaurant's should encourage from anyone who interacts with the public. In a short sentence, fine dining, in a casual setting, Craigie's on Main retains and insists on attention to detail. The 8 course tasting menu was awesome from start to finish with perfectly cooked, seasoned and presented dishes. Bravo!!!Special Features:
- Great Sunday BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 8/17/2014The 5 star review is for Sunday brunch. Have heard dinner is overrated fom friends who have gone. Food is very rich, so even though the portions look small, you'll probably feel full if you just wait 20 minutes after eating. Love the beef cheek/tongue hash and burger. The burger comes with wedge potato fries and homemade ketchup - all very good. They also have have real fresh-squeezed OJ, which can be tough to find. I suppose the only downside is it's relatively pricey for brunch ($18 for the hash dish and $4 gets you a pretty small glass of juice), but it's not bad in absolute dollar terms given it's brunch items and not dinner.Special Features:
- expensive course tastingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/14/2014For 98 dollars per six-course serving, the meal was underwhelming. Our total meal was 300 dollars but I would value it at 150 - 175 based on the quality and quantity of the dishes. Perhaps choosing an entree over the tasting is the better approach to use when dining at Craigie's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Birthday DinnerMarlsDined on 8/12/2014A lovely place! We did the chef's tasting and most of the courses were great. The sea bass tail was divine--I had to stop my dining partner from chewing on the bones.Special Features:
- Wonderful meal!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/10/2014We loved Craigie! Had been wanting to go for a while and loved everything about it. Exceeded expectations! Fantastic food, an extensive wine list and great vibe. That foie gras sausage was one of the best bites of the year!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food experienceprfoodie1Dined on 8/10/2014We went for the chef's tasting menu since we were celebrating a special occasion. Very hard to let someone decide what to eat but if you are adventurous and willing to try new things then the chef's tasting menu is perfect. The food was beautifully presented and the portions were the right amount for a 6 course meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pleasant spaceCbarojaDined on 8/10/2014I had brunch on a date and found the restaurant very pleasant, comfortable, and intimate. Highly recommend it for a romantic rendezvous. The food is good but almost a let down after all the fussiness on the menu and the waiters' descriptions.Special Features:
- Craigie on MainOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014Food was great and affordable., Service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative Craigie!leniVIPDined on 8/9/2014Utterly awesome! The food is outstanding in every way. I wanted to savor every morsel and was so very sorry when I had cleaned my plate; I wished I could lick it. My only complaint was that there were so many tasty things on the menu, it was hard to choose. The wine list was reasonably priced and excellent. The restaurant is a bit noisy, but it was a Saturday and they were BUSY! It was not so loud you had to shout to be heard. I can't wait to find a reason to come backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Crushing it with hospitalityAllergictotrendsDined on 8/8/2014Olivia made our night so memorable. The staff here works like a well-oiled machine with a passion for food and drink.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing 6 course dinner!StavieVIPDined on 8/6/2014Every single dish was a perfection. Definitely we'll go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wedding AnniversaryChappydinersDined on 8/3/2014We celebrated our 12th wedding anniversary here. From a warm greeting and merry wishes from the hostess to the complimentary bubbly when we sat down. Along with a delightful six course tasting menu, and amazing bottle of wine, the wait staff was happy, helpful, and perfect. We will come back again and again. Just wonderful!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible burger at brunchMollyVIPDined on 8/3/2014We love Craigie for dinner: we've been there several times and have enjoyed their delectable and creative tasting menus. This was our first time trying Craigie for brunch and we were disappointed. I got the fish sandwich on a bagel which was delightful, and my husband got the burger. His expectations were high, and he was thoroughly disappointed: the brioche bun was too oily for the additionally oily patty. The burger was beyond rare in the middle to the point of being inedible. The ketchup was runny and not particularly flavorful. Even the lettuce was limp. We'll be back for dinner, but not brunch.
- SublimeRealtorMomVIPDined on 8/3/2014Perfection. Cocktails, food, service. Any way you want it done. Enough said.Special Features:
- It lives up to all the reviewsFredofLexDined on 8/2/2014The tasting menu has to be experienced to be believed - it is just that special and just that good. Service was extremely good - friendly, knowledgeable, flexible. We practically closed the place - we got to watch them cleaning the kitchen - but there was no pressure to move on. The valet parked my car right outside the window next to which we we sitting. We loved the old venue, but Craigie-on-Main is even better - a true gem, pricey, but not absurd. This is in keeping with ambience - not at all pretentious - vibrant, ful of good cheer. An absolute winner.Special Features:
- Creative, delicious foodMjBertoDined on 8/1/2014Went with another couple and had a GREAT time. Food was DELICIOUS! Hands down, one of the best, most creative meals we've had a in a long time. We weren't crazy about some of the things that we ordered, but felt like we could order it here (e.g. head cheese! knew it might not be for us - and it wasn't - but trusted this place). Trust was well-placed, for sure! Staff was friendly, responsive, and respectful of our space. Price was expensive, but worth it. Love, love, love this place - will come back for sure.Special Features:
- Best dinner ever?PeterVIPDined on 8/1/2014We cannot think of a better dining experience, including times all around the world. Amazing food. Casual elegance. Terrific service- attentive, non intrusive, highly knowledgeable and fun. Each of them recalled my mentioning the birthday celebration. Truly exquisite, all around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pigs head coming upfoodsforyouandmeDined on 7/30/2014My boyfriend and I have been to this restaurant twice. First time (for my birthday) we got the pig head to share, and it was amazing. Second time (for his birthday) we got the tasting menu, and was very delightfully surprised some of the courses. But, then got a twinge of buyers remorse when the couple across from us got the pigs head ... (first world problems, right?) I look forward to going back and trying many other items. Wait staff is very attentive and accommodating of food allergies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The bestjwocDined on 7/27/2014Best restaurant I've ever been to, a real treat. Imaginative chefs, excellent knowledgeable staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic, as expectedSuburbanDinerDined on 7/27/2014Went Sunday with my wife for our anniversary, and it was as expected: excellent in every way. My wife is gluten-free (celiac), and there were accommodations for that without question or concern - it just happened. She had corn and mushroom app; I had the pig tails - both perfectly done. I had the pork three ways - crispy rib was perfectly seasoned, sausage well formed and seasoned, and the sliced tenderloin also perfectly pink in the center. However, the star of the evening was the olive oil poached salmon (must have been out of the cod). Perfectly cooked with great texture, seasoning and presentation - these guys command their CVAP! Worthy of any foodie, and highly recommended. Deserts were well executed and tasty! Thanks CoM!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MehOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/24/2014I've heard nothing but fantastic reviews about COM. My expectations were high coming into our 1 yr anniversary dinner. We had an 830 reservation, were not seated until after 9. Drinks at the bar with the most knowledgable bartender around made the time pass... Unfortunately we were seated next to a party of 12 drunk/obnoxious/LOUD young professionals. The menu was eclectic and food was delish... Took way too long to plate the food tho. At least it was expensive. I imagine any other evening would have resulted with a better experience, but nonetheless, chalked this night/experience up as a big miss.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FricoDined on 7/22/2014Excellent food, but pretty pricey for Boston. Good for special occasions.Special Features:
- Among the BestConfluxibleVIPDined on 7/22/2014Imaginative, fresh, and delicious food. We've eaten in many great restaurants over the years, and now include Craigie on Main among the very best meals we've ever had.Special Features:
- Impressed again.FailedtoImpressParentsDined on 7/22/2014After a disappointing visit a few months ago, the restaurant staff have gone out of their way to return to my good graces. And they've succeeded. Through very attentive service, fantastic food, and good drink, the wait staff and kitchen have once again impressed me. Craigie on Main is worth the occasional splurgeSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/20/2014My visits here are too seldom, but I love to recommend Craigie on Main to our guests from our hotel. No one is EVER disappointed. Finally it was my turn to return and enjoy a meal with family. Everything was excellent, as always. Delicious meal and stellar service. Perfect.Special Features:
- brunchwsoupDined on 7/20/2014Delicious brunch! Our server was was very helpful and efficient too.Special Features:
- Very expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/19/2014$650 for 4 (we had cocktails as well) is a lot of money for a restaurant like Craigie. Similar meals at Rialto or Harvest or Oleana would cost much less. Food was excellent, waitress was a little pushy. The portions were not worth the $100 a person for the sampler. One of us was a vegetarian and that sampler was also $100--not worth the money. We were all disappointed with the expense given we were frequent diners at the former Craigie Street Bistro. Despite the expense, we had a great time and could not stop talking about our shock at the cost of dinner as we made our way to our car. Be prepared to spend a lot of money.
- A great choiceBunnythecarnivoreDined on 7/18/2014Friday we were celebrating our 55th anniversary with our daughter. We'd had brunch there several years ago and were not so favorably impressed, but since we'd heard good thing over the years we thought it worthwhile to try dinner there. Spoiled by eating at fine restaurants in France, while living there part of each year over four decades, we are still hyper critical although the US has gotten better and better. WE LOVED OUR MEAL at CRAIGIE ON MAIN. A real plus was that rather than heaping mediocre food on the the plates everything was exceptionally tasty and the right amount. We found the carafe white wine a great choice with our meals. I just wish I had the recipe for the chicken breast dish. It was something one would prepare often.Special Features:
- AmazingOvereaterDined on 7/16/2014Great experience, food and service. Best meal in Boston yet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best restaurant in greater BostonPhilVIPDined on 7/16/2014That subject won't surprise anyone for this restaurant because the food is excellent and well known to be excellent, but I have to say, this was the best service I've had there too. We selected the tasting menu (as we always do there) and know that when we do we're in for a nice, long meal. You don't order that in a rush. When our food took a bit longer than normal between courses, our server handled it very well. We weren't impatient, but we did notice that it was taking a little while and she noticed too. She twice comped us a round of drinks and even brought my wife a candle to blow out for her birthday. Totally excellent dining experience all around. It all just reconfirmed my love for this spot.Special Features:
- docjeffVIPDined on 7/12/2014Great cocktails. The valet was nowhere to be found. Food was fabulous, with much attention to detail.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.