Craigie on Main
853 Main Street
Cambridge, MA 02139Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
Craigie on Main
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.craigieonmain.com/
- Phone: 6174975511x
- Hours of Operation:
Dining Room: 5:30-10:00pm (10:30 Fri & Sat)
Bar: 5:30pm-12 Midnight
Late Night Bar Menu: Until 11:00 pm
Bar Drinks Served: 5:30-12:00 Midnight
Brunch: Sunday 10:30am-1:30pm
The "Chef's Whim" is available on Sunday evenings after 9:00 pm. Chef Tony Maws cooks for your table - either a $45 four-course or $57 six-course menu. Tony loves to cook and serve up impromptu dishes that may not be on the regular menu, and is at his most inventive, spontaneous, and generous. It’s never the same meal twice and your palates and pocketbooks are the winners! The “Chef’s Whim” is available in two versions only - “The Surprise” (which may contain meat and fish) and Vegetarian. We regret that there are no other selections or substitutions.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, French, Contemporary French
- Executive Chef: Tony Maws
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Smoking Area, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private Dining Area for groups of over 12 for lunches or dinners Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Sunday evenings, or Sunday Brunch. Please contact us about a restaurant buyout any time.
- Private Party Contact: Kelley Hotti 6174975511x
- Cross Street: Main St. and Mass. Ave
- Public Transit: Central Square T Stop, the No. 1 bus at the Main Street stop
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: There is plenty of street parking and nearby parking lots. Valet Parking is always available at dinner (but not for Sunday Brunch).There is ample on- street parking nearby after 6 pm. There is a well-lit public parking lot one block away on Bishop Allen Drive (just behind the restaurant).
There is a paid parking lot at Le Meridien Hotel on the corner of Green St. and Sidney St.
A word from Craigie on Main
Eat out and feel at home! Chef Tony Maws - winner of the James Beard Award for Best Chef, Northeast - combines French-inspired “nose -to-tail refined rusticity” with ”no exceptions” local, seasonal, & organic or natural ingredients. Enjoy the bar (Food & Wine’s ”Top 100 in US”), ”Our Sunday Best Brunch”, and Tasting Menus …Thanks to GQ for naming us #2 (!) in 10 Best New US Restaurants, Food Network for “Best Breakfast in MA”, Boston Magazine for 2010 “Best Bigtime Chef” and Boston Globe for one of ”The 10 Most Influential Restaurants” of the decade. We are the third most popular restaurant in Boston, says Zagat and one of the Top 100 Wine Restaurants in the US, says Wine Enthusiast!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerFrench
Craigie on Main - Best Restaurants in Cambridge ›
Craigie on Main reviews from OpenTable diners
241 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (204)special occasion (160)neighborhood gem (100)romantic (92)notable wine list (86)hot spot (50)great for brunch (48)good for groups (22)vibrant bar scene (22)late-night find (13)great for lunch (9)kid-friendly (5)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- A FavoriteKcfqDined on 10/18/2014A perfect spot for a special dinner or a burger and a beer. Craigie always gets it right.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Occasion DiningKikoDined on 10/17/2014Given that I am not the foodie that my husband is I was a bit daunted by the menu but I'm really happy we ate here for his birthday. We were thrilled to get seats at the 'chef's table' - counter with stools - so we could watch the kitchen in action while we ate. It added so much to the whole dining experience. My first test was a Maine oyster with green gazpacho (I would never order oysters!) as a welcome appetizer. It was interesting and it made me feel more adventuresome for the dining experience ahead. The waitstaff was perfectly attentive without being overbearing and seemed to really enjoy the restaurant's unique offerings. The wine suggestions were great. Appreciated the birthday candle. Expensive and Creative.Special Features:
- Pampered, in the good wayOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/17/2014We are very specific about when we go to Craigie. It's a place to go to celebrate, because you are treated with such care, enthusiasm, and dedication to customer service and the incredibly crafted, deeply delicious food. We go when we have something to momentous to celebrate, like this past Friday, it was our 10th wedding anniversary. We always get the vegetarian tasting menu. And each time, we are blown away by the richness of the local food presented like art on the plate. How grateful we are for this true gem of a place in our very own neighborhood. We hope to celebrate there again, again, and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/16/2014Excellent bonus small bite starter. Sand in the octopus tail appetizer? One of the three porks three ways was undercooked? (their signature dish) Ok flour less chocolate cake and mint ice cream. Overall does not stand up to the many great restaurants in the area specially for the non trivial price tag.
- Decent Food but OverpricedScottDined on 10/15/2014My girlfriend and I tried Craigie on Main for her birthday because we had heard great things. However, we were disappointed with the food. The service and ambiance were great, but we found the food to be mediocre and very expensive for the quality of it. We tried two different entrees, the sturgeon fish and mushroom crepe. Both were decent, but not as flavorful or as spiced as we were expecting. We tried the fried apple fritters and maple bourbon ice cream for dessert which was excellent. Overall, it was okay, but it's overpriced for what it is.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/14/2014Was treated like royalty and really enjoyed the delicious food.Special Features:
- Fantasticwa23Dined on 10/12/2014The food was sublime, the service was extraordinary. Love this place. Go immediately and order everything.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/12/2014I would never have tried some of the dishes based on their description because I don't think of myself as an adventurous brunched, but their dishes were delicious. I'm looking forward to trying more.Special Features:
- Lives up to its fabulous reputationsuzibelleVIPDined on 10/11/2014Craige on Main is utterly amazing! A foodies delight!! The first course dishes were unbelievable: an octopus dish and a squid ink pasta dish. So many complex ingredients that melded together fantastically. I can't even tease out how each ingredient added its goodness. The pork cooked 3 ways was also terrific! I'm still swooning over the leftovers. After being blown away by the first 2 courses (really 3, since there was a delightful amuse bouche) we couldn't believe how delicious all of the desserts were. One in our party was a vegetarian, so ordered the alternate vegetarian pasta appetizer and was extremely happy. Together with a great wine and very nice and attentive wait staff, the whole evening was very enjoyable!Special Features:
- Excellent food, weird waitressMfr22Dined on 10/11/2014In all but one respect, Craigie on Main is as good as a restaurant can be. Everything was first-rate. The thing that was lacking was service. Most of the service people were wonderful. Our water glasses were constantly filled. However, our main waitress seemed to take offense to something that I did. She was cold and curt throughout the evening. Halfway through, she told another person to take over my table. I have no idea what I did. I used to work at restaurants and cafes; consequently I do my best to treat staff well. I know they have hard jobs. This waitress was so weird and unfriendly. It definitely hurt the overall experience.
- Anniversary DinnerDanSDined on 10/9/2014This has to be the best restaurant in Boston. Chef's tasting menu had so many outstanding flavors and you do not know what you are getting until it arrives. Surprise ! Our server Tatynia was knowledgable, friendly and helped us decide on wine. We will definitely go back- for special occasions. Expensive, worth saving up for, especially as wife has been cooking for 43 yearsSpecial Features:
- a wonderful nightOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/8/2014I have been trying to get to Craigie on Main for awhile on the weekend but they are always booked. I was at a conference in Boston and went with my wife on Wednesday. We had the tasting menu and the food was fantastic. The service could not have been better. It was the most attentive wait staff I have encountered in a long time. The wine recommendations were perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- went for our anniversaryannydinnerDined on 10/5/2014We have been trying to get into Craigie on main for sometime as they are usually pretty booked. We ordered from the prix fix menu and were really happy. I had the corn veloute and it was amazing! ! My husband and I were sopping it up with bread. I wasn't overly excited about the chocolate decadence as it was a little bitter for my liking but we were very happy with the entire experience and will be going again. Set aside some money to go, especially if you like to drink.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Food and Servicecoug18Dined on 10/4/2014I would recommend this place to anyone looking for a nice meal. Our party of 4 cleaned every plate that came in front of us. The service was impeccable. Someone was always there when you needed anything. When I was making my beer selection our waiter was excited to speak of some beers that were off the list that might meet what I was looking for and it did. I am excited to go back. They have a selection where you can ask the chef to choose your menu for the night which I will do next time.Special Features:
- Always greatlillibetVIPDined on 10/4/2014It had been too long, so we were very glad to get back to Craigie and put ourselves in Tony Maws' hands for the tasting menu. The flavors were seasonal, intense and inventive--the tomato gazpacho was revelatory and the riesling sabayon will live long in my memory. The staff were knowledgeable, helpful and accommodating. A fabulous meal and a wonderful evening.Special Features:
- Sparkling EveningMarisaDined on 10/4/2014My husband and I went for our anniversary dinner. Had the 3-course prix fixe. Top to bottom excellent food. Highlights were the squid ink rigatoni with clams in a silky butter tarragon sauce and a velvety, crunchy tahini chocolate cake - bold flavors and textures, yet subtle and delicate. Bone in rib eye for two was perfectly rare. Service attentive and laid back. Very good wine (and we ordered at the lowest price point), warm ambience. Good special occasion place. Or we would return with a group to order small plates at the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dale ArnoldDArnoldDined on 10/3/2014We've now been to Craigie on two occasions and it has already become one of our favorite restaurants. Chef Tony Maw is inspired and our 6 course tasting menu was a delight. The service was impeccable and every detail of our special event night was perfect. We cannot wait to go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- amazing...lubruDined on 10/3/2014Ours was a very special dinner and we chose the 6 course tasting menu....simply divine...attentive yet not intrusive service, excellent ambience, divine dishes and great wines. simply divine...Special Features:
- Craige Is the MaineatdrnkbemerryDined on 10/2/2014Tasty food with original combinations and seasoning. A fun and drink worthy bar listSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PerfectRichardRezDined on 10/2/2014The food here is always five star and a great surprise as the tasting menu carries you off on a seasonal and local food adventure. I went this time for a fourth wedding anniversary, and ordered flowers from a local vendor to arrive in time to be set at our table. The restaurant contacted me, let me know they would set it up on a nice table, and indeed when we arrived we were treated like royalty. It's not cheap but worth every dollar. And while it's expensive, it's not stodgy - you feel a casual vibe while experiencing some of the best food in BostonI would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dining experienceGoodFoodLoverDined on 9/28/2014Very interesting creations. I have never had such a tender octopus dish (appetizer) in my life. I heard the burgers are out of this world but didn't get to try any since they only serve 18 of them per day. Great drink creations too. I gave 4 stars to food since the zucchini side was way too salty for my taste. A little mishap with the bill (did not take the zucchini off as they said they would) but rectified quickly after I pointed it out.Special Features:
- TinaDined on 9/28/2014I had been wanting to try Craigie on Main for a long time and have to say that it was worth the wait. The food was absolutely impeccable and left us with the memory of having had an exquisite dining experience. I highly recommend it for special occasion celebrations!Special Features:
- Craigie on Main never disappointsOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/28/2014My husband and I love to come early and take a seat at the bar for dinner. The bar staff are very knowledgeable and their cocktails and wine suggestions are always spot-on. No other nearby restaurant does pork in so many delicious preparations. We love the ever-changing menu options. A real neighborhood gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Craigie On MainOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/28/2014Hands down the most creative and expertly prepared brunch of my life. I've been to Craigie On Main a few times before, but never for brunch. I will definitely be going back sometime soon. It can be a bit pricey ($100 for me and my wife), especially if you want to sample a number of things, but easily worth every penny, which says a lot.Special Features:
- Great brunch experience!cambridgefoodieDined on 9/28/2014I went with my friends this weekend and loved everything about our brunch experience! Great food and great atmosphere!Special Features:
- New favorite restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 9/27/2014Tasting menu was a special treat. Very casual atmosphere with top notch food and exceptional service.Special Features:
- Can't go wrong with a tasting menuMattVIPDined on 9/25/2014We had the tasting menu and (surprise) it was incredible. Standout items were the tuna tartare, sturgeon, cucumber gazpacho, fresh pasta, and desert. If you're open to diverse flavors and types of food the tasting menu is the way to go. While certainly not a cheap meal it definitely provides value for the money. The staff's passion for their craft shows.Special Features:
- Great food and serviceBklynHoboDined on 9/24/2014Craigie on Main definitely raises the bar in Cambridge. Every course was perfect as far as concept, flavor and execution. Service was on point with a friendly and professional staff. Would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ehhhBDdrewDined on 9/24/2014Went here for our 3rd anniversary after hearing great things. I can see how this place has a great reputation, but we were less than impressed. Started with the corn soup which was very good. Then my wife had Halibut and I had pork 3 ways. Her Halibut was not great (had a very strange seasoning that did not agree with us) and my pork was decent, but small. Could have used another third of the meat. Maybe on this particular Wednesday we caught them on an off night but in Cambridge, there are plenty of options and we will be trying others before coming back here.Special Features:
- Great Food and Wine PairingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/23/2014I like wine, but I don't know wine. I ordered the blue fish, asked the waitress what would pair well with it, and she nailed it. The portions were perfect and the texture and taste of the food was fantastic. Cheers to Craigie on Main!Special Features:
- Amazing Experience!alioopfoodieDined on 9/20/2014Couldn't have been happier with the spectacular service to match the beautiful ultimate tasting menue, great wine (recommended by our lovely waitress), and cozy but elegant atmosphere. Will definitely be going back for ant special occasions we have in the future and will be taking friends and family any chance we get!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not as great as i recallhlgesqDined on 9/20/2014Loved it in June. This time, not uniformly great, and service was barely attentive and sort of high-handed. Won't be rushing back.
- Very fullOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/20/2014The food was delicious but very over priced. I probably wouldn't come back due to cost which is unfortunate because the food and service were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasting menuCheddarDined on 9/18/2014Have eaten here before and had a wonderful experience in all aspects. This time had the tasting menu based on recommendations of other open table diners. I was disappointed, not a real breadth of variety in the dishes and not as eventive or flavorful as the regular menu in my opinion, at least on this evening. Also they served me the wrong wine and insinuated that was the one I had orderedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always something superbmacklDined on 9/13/2014High end, friendly, elegant where the food comes first. The chef is so creative something in every meal will be startlingly clever even magical making a meal here an experience. The menu changes with season and availability. Since choices are limited go early before crowd favorites run out. The bar has off menu gems like Highland Park scotches. Pricey and yet truly worth itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingSpaghettiVIPDined on 9/13/2014We had the six course tasting menu but they forgot one of the 5 savories. Our party realized this afterwards and called, figuring it was an honest mistake. The manager was combative and had me walk through what we ate. She then lied and said that the palate cleanser dollop of zabaligione was one of their "2 dessert courses," even though the server said it was complimentary and the rest of our party had 5 savories when they had been there before. We felt like we wasted several hundred dollars on subpar service and less food that we paid for. The whole experience left a bad taste in my mouth.
- Just Divine!TovahLovesAGoodMealDined on 9/12/2014As expected, the attention to detail in every aspect of our meal was obvious. The cocktails are noteworthy. The food, amazing and the service could not have been more attentive. It's a real treat! I highly recommend Craigie on Main. Just go!Special Features:
- Great!mcachaineDined on 9/7/2014Great food, great service, great place. Anyone who like good food should try this restaurant.Special Features:
- Better than everMaryorDined on 9/4/2014Hadn't been in a while and was anxious to see what they were up to. It was just a superb meal. There were six of us so we all got to taste each other's morsels. Everything was a standout from appetizers to dessert. Our friends were very impressed with the unusual wine list too, and they are very skeptical and hard to please.Special Features:
- TheflorentineDined on 8/30/2014The food is good , even if a little too salty . The service is so bad ! The waitress spent the entire night flirting with some guys on the table next to ours since they had ordered a 8 courses dinner. Shouldn't all clients be treated the same ? The portions are very small but it's typical in this kind of restaurants . The ambience is very cold when it comes to colts , too minimalistic and not very welcoming . But the chef is amazing and does wonders ! Never had so much good food!Special Features: