4300 Lake Street
Minneapolis, MN 55406Neighborhood:
Downtown / North Loop
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.craftsmanrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6127220175x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 10:00am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm to 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Wild Game, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Ryan Swaim
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Craftsman Restaurant is available for wedding receptions and other special events.
- Private Party Contact: Mike Dooley 6127220175x
- Special Events: The Craftsman Restaurant is available for wedding receptions and other special events.
A word from Craftsman Restaurant
The Craftsman Restaurant serves up a unique dining experience. Come and enjoy Midwestern American cooking in a comforting and relaxing environment. The outdoor patio is the perfect place to enjoy the evening, chef Ryan Swaim's cooking, and perhaps a glass of wine or cocktail from the bar. Most of the food products come directly from the growers and producers, thereby eliminating the middleman. This doesn't mean that the food costs are less- usually they're more expensive, but it does ensure that suppliers are paid fairly for their crops and helps support and sustain the independent rural, agrarian economy. Most, if not all of the vegetable products, are certified organic. It's this commitment to quality that shows through the food at Craftsman.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Craftsman Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Downtown / North Loop ›
Craftsman Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
92 reviews since May 20, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (62)neighborhood gem (61)great for outdoor dining (52)special occasion (35)romantic (21)good for groups (15)notable wine list (13)great for brunch (9)great for lunch (5)kid-friendly (4)hot spot (3)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- needed saltmarioDined on 9/12/2014We have been here twice before, lovely place with good food. This last week we went, and it was bland, no salt, hardly any taste to the salad, maybe they forgot the dressing. Sometimes the planets don't line up, and the chef is off his/her mark. The main dish we shared, and it was plain, herring from Grand Marais over vegtables, and it was a non event. looked pluppled together.Special Features:
- Look forward to a return visit!ReRoDined on 9/10/2014Our server knew the menu very well, and said she had eaten most of the items on the menu. After discussing options, we settled on the pork chop and the roasted trout. Both were excellent and we were very happy with our meals. We split a salad to start out with and shared a bottle of wine. The service was very courteous and prompt, and the food was very satisfying (portion as well as presentation). The prices were in line with similar places and we look forward to going back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service lackingHasnixmixDined on 9/10/2014It's been a few years since I've eaten at The Craftsman, so it was time to give it another shot. The food was very good, but somewhat overpriced. I had Trout with a nice salad for $28. I recently had a superior Trout dish at Al Vento (excellent) for about $24. My wife was also happy with her meal, but it was the slow service that got me a bit irritated. It was obvious they were short staffed and our waitress was probably just filling in, because she definitely didn't know what she was doing. When delivering our food and both of us had empty glasses, we had to ask for refills. Then, when dropping off the desert menu she just took our empty glasses w/o asking if we needed anything else. We decided we'd had enough & passed on desertSpecial Features:
- AlanDined on 9/9/2014A true find for excellent food, a very good wine list and special mixed drinks. Service was excellent. The staff was very knowledgeable on the food and drink menus. Service was attentive. We will be back.Special Features:
- Wonderful but priceyluv2cookDined on 9/8/2014Four of us celebrated 2 birthdays on a Monday night. We mostly had the place to ourselves due to the night of the week and a 7:30 reservation with 1 in the party not arriving until 8. Service was perfect, attentive and friendly and we were not rushed even though desert took us well past closing and by that time we were the only patrons in the restaurant. The food was excellent, well prepared and beautifully presented. Prices make The Craftsman kind of a special occasion place although a nice selection of sandwich options could also make it a neighborhood gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Pork Chop EverRussDined on 9/5/2014The meal was spectacular. The highlights were the incredible Char coterie plate, the best pork chop any of us had ever eaten and the sinful beignets.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could be betterKayAnn54Dined on 8/30/2014The service was good. The drinks were good. The food was just okay. And for the prices they charged, I expected the food to be great. The pork chop had a lot of fat on it and hard gristle. The brown butter sauce was way too salty as were the buttermilk mashed potatoes. The polenta was good and the desserts were also good. I really liked that they offered a non sugary dessert, the cheese platter. One of the cheeses was pretty rubbery, which we all disliked. The presentation of the food was beautiful, but it lacked in quality and taste.Special Features:
- Our go-to for special occasionsBillADined on 8/29/2014The Craftsman is our neighborhood go-to place for a nice dinner out. We've always liked their food and their craft cocktails. Our most recent visit supported our opinion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic FoodStPaulTeacherDined on 8/22/2014Four of us had dinner here in a late summer evening. It was our first time here, and we were a bit apprehensive about it only because I was able to get a 6:30 reservation for that night (a Friday) only earlier that day. We thought maybe it would be bad food only because there were still openings available. We couldn't have been more wrong. Each person in our party had a different meal, and each of us was incredibly impressed with our meals. We also were impressed by the cocktails and beer/wine selection, and we got dessert too. Everything was fantastic! We will definitely go to Craftsman again!Special Features:
- Great foodScienthomasVIPDined on 8/21/2014The food at Craftsman is always excellent. We enjoyed the salads, the polenta, and the duck bolognese pappardelle. The cocktails were well made, but the two glasses of red wines were not great. Desert choices were varied and good. The service seemed a bit overwhelmed for a Thursday night. Based on the food quality, we intend to keep returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not its usual great serviceEpicuriousVIPDined on 8/18/2014Restaurant was quieter than normal, so the waitress was not overwhelmed, but our service was exceptionally poor. To never have my water glass refilled was the final straw. We will go back because we are hoping this was an exception, and just a bad day, but if it happens again, our favorite will be history.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious BurgersOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/11/2014We loved the turkey burger and the bacon hamburger. Both were done to perfection and had marvelous flavor! We will be back!Special Features:
- Wonderful eveningmanderdinerDined on 8/9/2014The food was interesting and flavorful so satisfying. We enjoyed their craft summer cocktails, creative and good. Our server was attentive and friendly. It was a wonderful evening !Special Features:
- Hit and missCustomerfromthestartDined on 8/9/2014Being in my neighborhood, The Craftsman could be my favorite place to go, if only I could overlook glaring inconsistencies in its food. Starting us off, the bartender was generous, competent and creative. Four stars for their signature drinks. The charcuterie plate had a lovely selection and we each sampled each meat offered--an exceptional appetizer at a reasonable price as it served as a true appetizer for 4 of us. If we could stop there or skip to desserts, we would have a hit. Grand Marais herring was very nicely done and got two thumbs up from a man who knows his fish. Hangar steak was tough and quite disappointing. Burger and fries were excellent. Pasta special was just o.k. Craftsman=Twins. Always rooting for them, but ...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Anniversary DinnerArtvanDined on 8/5/2014This restaurant was recommended to us by our foodie daughter and it did not disappoint. Craftsman has a wonderful outdoor seating area with vine-covered pergolas and heavy screening from busy E. Lake Street. The cocktail list looked great, but we took a pass in favor of a very nice and reasonably-priced bottle of wine. My wife had the Bibb lettuce salad with green beans and buttermilk dressing along with the gnocci prepared with spinach, peas, creme fraiche. My bite confirmed them as a wonderful seasonal preparations. My hanger steak and pomme frites were done to perfection--the bernaise sauce: addicting. The dense chocolate cake with creme fraiche was the perfect capper for our meal. Our server was delightful. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014I've been to the Craftsman numerous times and the staff and the food never disappoint.Special Features:
- Solid but rough around the edgesTheCuriousPalateDined on 8/1/2014The food and cocktails were really good--fresh, tasty, superbly prepared--but the service was very uneven. We arrived before the dinnertime rush but had to wait 45 minutes for our salads to arrive, while a family that arrived 10 minutes after us was already eating. One doesn't expect quick service, but a half an hour is enough to get rolling! Further bumps in what could otherwise have been a great evening: one salad was missing all the walnuts and almost all the cheese listed as ingredients (perhaps food preppers were at fault); and the pleasant, attentive waitress failed, at the end, to take the value of the coupon I gave her off the bill. We may return for the food; but a repeat of poor service will cross the Craftsman off our list.Special Features:
- Pleasant Patio DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/28/2014The menu always changes but is usually good. Excellent vegetarian options, attentive service. Quiet sitting outside despite several large groups. We'll be back soon!Special Features:
- jso1jso1Dined on 7/27/2014First visit. On a Sunday evening. Great food and excellent service. We will return in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So-SoJayZDined on 7/17/2014We were not overly impressed. Service was very slow. Our server was also the bartender so she was not very attentive. Food was OK. My polenta was piping hot with great summer veggies. They were out of rainbow trout by 6:30 p.m. We won't go back nor would we recommend it others.Special Features:
- I'll be back.Luv2eatanddrinkDined on 7/16/2014While the interior of the restaurant looked cozy and loved the decor, the outdoor patio was not to be missed. Sweet setting under beautiful foliage. The cocktail list was so enticing I had to go with two delicious and different martinis. I will be back to try others! The food was exceptionally good...apps that sounded simple were beyond that, the best hummus I've had and one of my favorite cheese plates. The trout was absolutely perfect - perfectly balanced and interesting flavors. Desserts all looked fabulous but couldn't pass up the delicate and sweet beignets. So much more I wanted to try, I will be back! Waitress was very knowledgeable and service was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!!!beseDined on 7/14/2014We had the pork chop and salmon and were done to our satisfaction! I would highly recommend this restraunt!Special Features:
- Great service, cocktails, and foodCMo73Dined on 7/12/2014My wife and I enjoyed our dinner at Craftsman. The service was great. Our waiter, Carlos, knew the menu and wine list very well, made great recommendations, and was there when we needed him. The cocktails were generous and well crafted. I get a little tired of all the mixology and appreciate classic cocktails done well. The food was delicious. The charcuterie lived up to its reputation - also, it's a generous portion. The entrees were really good. If you're looking for a charming neighborhoody place to have good food and drink, this is a place you should consider. A word to the sound sensitive, it gets really noisy in this restaurant. There are high ceilings, wood floors, and plaster walls - the sound bounces around a lot.Special Features:
- Good foodEPDinerDined on 7/12/2014The food was delicious and the service was very good! The restaurant was a little cold (temperature) - had to go to the car to get jackets. The restauant was very noisy once it got busy - we had trouble hearing each other.
- What happened to our go to spot?DisappointingDined on 7/2/2014Very disappointing evening! It has been our neighborhood go to spot for a great meal for years and have never had a negative experience until this week. Service was very slow and poor, waitress was not engaged or helpful. Menu lacked inspiration and seasonal flare. Restaurant was half empty and food still took forever. Patio dining was negative experience, weeds and untended flowers, stuff stacked up and sitting around like empty pots and candles, patio tables did not have candles or flowers, simply set our napkin wrapped silverware on the table, I walked inside and found wait staff meandering behind bar, some eating, and rat trap greeted us in the parking lot. Will not go back. Could have had better meal in own back yard.
- A Monday evening dinner.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/30/2014Duck was good. Steak was tough and not so good. Pork chop was dry, overdone. Sides and desserts were good. I was expecting more, but it was a slow Monday night.Special Features:
- unimpressiveWalkerDined on 6/27/2014Have dined at the Craftsman many times, and last Friday was an unusually bad experience. Indifferent service (no water, no bread), tasteless trout for $26, leathery steak for $28. Perhaps because we were relatively late (8:30)? They can do better.
- Best Trout Around!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/26/2014My Gnochhi was delicious! And my wife's trout was some of the best fish I've ever eaten!! Highly recommended! A great place for our 10-year anniversary and whatever your special occasion may be!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BD CelebrationsouthenderDined on 6/25/2014We celebrated mutual birthdays with friends Wednesday evening. We had a wonderful evening, great cocktails, charcuterie plate, excellent entrees and outstanding attention from our server, Jenean. Thanks again Jenean!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Crafted Foodkm67Dined on 6/25/2014Our out-of-town friends had a lovely dining experience with us at the Craftsman Restaurant. We enjoyed the inviting outdoor patio, which was shaded and quiet, the cocktail opportunities, and a very knowledgeable hostess/waitress. Our hostess was able to go into detail about the various dishes, and to make recommendations when we requested them. The duck confit dish was easily the knockout of the night, consisting of an ample amount of duck breast cooked to just medium rare. We had other out-of-town guests the previous week who also particularly enjoyed their meal at the Craftsman, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone who appreciates good food thoughtfully prepared. KM67Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Review titleDontWantToChooseANicknameDined on 6/22/2014A tasty chardonnay, good service, and outstanding steaks. A great evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingeatingoutDined on 6/21/2014Always amazing food and staff! Delicious local ingredients,wonderfully prepared, and doted on by amazing staff!!! Perfect place to celebrate our 11th anniversary!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful place!!SuzeDined on 6/21/2014Drinks were hefty, attentive waitress, great salad, walleye and hanger steak exceptional!! Love, love, love the ambience!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!AnimalmadDined on 6/19/2014Some of the best food I've had in the Twin Cities!Special Features:
- TexasimmigrantDined on 6/19/2014I took a friend for a birthday dinner here. I've been here several times and know I can count on the food and the service. I was not disappointed. The food was delicious and our server genial and knowledgeable. It was the perfect choice, and we had a lovely evening.Special Features:
- Delicious Gnocchi/Refreshing DrinksOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/14/2014The potato gnocchi was spectacular with the asparagus and shiitake mushrooms perfectly cooked. The sauce added much flavor and was wonderfully paired with this dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeRichardDined on 6/12/2014The Craftsman is one of the Twin City's best. Everything works well, from the prairie-style tables and chairs to the terrific wine list. The food is unsurpassed. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/10/2014I had been to the Craftsman for appetizers and drinks once before and had a great evening. Anxious to try it again, I took my husband there for his birthday. He loved it, and so did I. The service was great, the drinks and food were wonderful, and the waitress was knowledgeable. We are looking forward to eating there again soon.Special Features:
- LOVED ITcbc10Dined on 6/7/2014I had not heard anything about this restaurant but thought the menu looked like it was worth a try. When you walk in, it looks like nothing special but the food and drinks were amazing! From the drink at the bar to dessert we had not a single complaint about any of the food. Would definitely go back again!Special Features:
- drewdogDined on 6/7/2014The food was exceptional I had the walleye special and my wife had the reuben sandwich. Both were excellent. It was obvious they made the reuben from scratch, including making the meat and all the fixings. Only drawback was they dropped the ball on the flowers I ordered as a part of the reservation with Open Table. On the other hand, when I asked for them to be delivered, Carlos (our waiter) went and found them and delivered them to our table. Unfortunately a manager did not check with us or apologize for the inconvenience. Maybe there should be better notification to the restaurant when they get our reservation, this probably would have avoided the problem (delivered before they were open for dinner service).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.