4300 Lake Street
Minneapolis, MN 55406Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.craftsmanrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6127220175x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 10:00am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm to 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Organic, Wild Game, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Ryan Swaim
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Craftsman Restaurant is available for wedding receptions and other special events.
- Private Party Contact: Mike Dooley 6127220175x
- Special Events: The Craftsman Restaurant is available for wedding receptions and other special events.
A word from Craftsman Restaurant
The Craftsman Restaurant serves up a unique dining experience. Come and enjoy Midwestern American cooking in a comforting and relaxing environment. The outdoor patio is the perfect place to enjoy the evening, chef Ryan Swaim's cooking, and perhaps a glass of wine or cocktail from the bar. Most of the food products come directly from the growers and producers, thereby eliminating the middleman. This doesn't mean that the food costs are less- usually they're more expensive, but it does ensure that suppliers are paid fairly for their crops and helps support and sustain the independent rural, agrarian economy. Most, if not all of the vegetable products, are certified organic. It's this commitment to quality that shows through the food at Craftsman.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Craftsman Restaurant - Best Restaurants in South Minneapolis ›
Craftsman Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
82 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (53)fit for foodies (51)great for outdoor dining (41)special occasion (28)romantic (17)good for groups (12)notable wine list (10)great for brunch (9)great for lunch (5)late-night find (3)hot spot (2)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- TCfoodieVIPDined on 10/19/2014Best charcuterie in town......what a selection! Don't miss! Entree's were good, not spectacular.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific and dependableBudADined on 10/13/2014My wife and I go to the Craftsman about 50 times a year for brunch after mass on Sunday at St. Albert the Great. We rarely go at dinner only because it's all the way across town (we live a few blocks from Hwy. 100 and Excelsior Blvd. But we went with two friends on Sunday night and had a marvelous time. The food was terrific -- My wife always has their Gnocchi and I ordered roasted herring with an eggplant puree -- and service excellent (the fact we know almost everyone there probably contributes to that). I think it compares favorably with The Kenwood and Bachelor Farmer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014It was my first visit to The Craftsman and we loved it! Food was amazing, beautiful decor, adequate service. The waitress brought us the desert menu when requested and never returned to take our order. I would definitely recommend and will return. Noise level increased as the night went on. We had a 6:15 reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch?SoutherngalDined on 10/5/2014We expected a brunch menu with a selection of salads, sandwiches, egg dishes,fruit, etc. However, this was strictly breakfast, and pretty basic breakfast at that. The only meat on the menu was pork, and the only fruit in the entire restaurant was apple. It was fine, but not nearly as special as we expected from Craftsman.Special Features:
- DisappointedJrozzyVIPDined on 10/4/2014Had high expectations for our meal. However, the menu was beyond disappointing. I was expecting a great selection of different game, fish, & meats. Instead the menu was completely boring. Loaded with pasta dishes. I settled on the herring (which was tasty & cooked perfectly). However the eggplant purée was a poor choice to go with this dish, completely over the top with starch (a sweet corn purée would have been much more appropriate). My friend had the pork chop (which again was cooked perfectly), but the dish was wildly boring and lacked eye appeal. Lastly, it would be nice to see a better selection of after dinner drinks. At minimum Chartruise or Fernet.Special Features:
- Evening with friendsAnnMWDined on 10/4/2014Creative well prepared choices for each course. Not a weak dish across 6 in the party. Service was attentive but not intrusive. Solid knowledge of wine offerings. Entree specials were great but all but gone by 6:30! We will all be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A neighborhood gem worth a visit!CAMCDined on 10/2/2014Excellent service, delicious food - try the turkey burger - and a beautiful setting - cozy, warm, and casual. The bar is perfect for a cocktail on a cool fall or winter evening and their outdoor patio is one of the most charming in Mpls. Love this neighborhood gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Patio DiningOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/27/2014We had a great experience on the patio. The service was very good and there were two nice vegetarian options which pleased our group. The cheese plate had wonderful choices but a couple of the guys in the group were disappointed with the teeny portions on that plate. Otherwise the ambience and service was very nice. I will recommend!Special Features:
- RaySVIPDined on 9/26/2014We've been going here for a few years and something has changed. The menu has gotten a bit stale and the service is hit or miss.
- DelishmomacDined on 9/22/2014We have dined at the Craftsman for special occasions over the years and this dinner was a birthday celebration. My husband and I started with the designer blueberry cocktail, then moved on to the artisan cheese plate, followed by the duck breast special and finally a glass of port. Each phase was superbly executed, delicious for both the eye and the palate. The hosts and servers were warm and knowledgeable, as usual. We enjoyed it so much that we have decided not to wait for the next special occasion but come back sooner and try the burgers we've heard such good things about.Special Features:
- Lovely Early Fall Evening DinnerMoreWineMoreCheeseDined on 9/17/2014I met a friend of mine for dinner here while visiting the University of Minnesota campus and we had a great dinner. Drinks were good, food was great, the outdoor dining was lovely. Really my only complaint was the decision of where to seat us. There were two of us for the patio and with plenty of other tables for four and one other table for two, they sat us RIGHT DOWN next another couple. I felt we invaded their space and had hoped we would have been able to have one of the larger tables considering it was a Wednesday night in September and there were plenty available.Special Features:
- kimkDined on 9/15/2014Friendly, helpful and knowledgeable waitress. The pork chop was amazing and the biggest I have ever seen. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- needed saltmarioDined on 9/12/2014We have been here twice before, lovely place with good food. This last week we went, and it was bland, no salt, hardly any taste to the salad, maybe they forgot the dressing. Sometimes the planets don't line up, and the chef is off his/her mark. The main dish we shared, and it was plain, herring from Grand Marais over vegtables, and it was a non event. looked pluppled together.Special Features:
- Look forward to a return visit!ReRoDined on 9/10/2014Our server knew the menu very well, and said she had eaten most of the items on the menu. After discussing options, we settled on the pork chop and the roasted trout. Both were excellent and we were very happy with our meals. We split a salad to start out with and shared a bottle of wine. The service was very courteous and prompt, and the food was very satisfying (portion as well as presentation). The prices were in line with similar places and we look forward to going back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service lackingHasnixmixDined on 9/10/2014It's been a few years since I've eaten at The Craftsman, so it was time to give it another shot. The food was very good, but somewhat overpriced. I had Trout with a nice salad for $28. I recently had a superior Trout dish at Al Vento (excellent) for about $24. My wife was also happy with her meal, but it was the slow service that got me a bit irritated. It was obvious they were short staffed and our waitress was probably just filling in, because she definitely didn't know what she was doing. When delivering our food and both of us had empty glasses, we had to ask for refills. Then, when dropping off the desert menu she just took our empty glasses w/o asking if we needed anything else. We decided we'd had enough & passed on desertSpecial Features:
- AlanDined on 9/9/2014A true find for excellent food, a very good wine list and special mixed drinks. Service was excellent. The staff was very knowledgeable on the food and drink menus. Service was attentive. We will be back.Special Features:
- Wonderful but priceyluv2cookDined on 9/8/2014Four of us celebrated 2 birthdays on a Monday night. We mostly had the place to ourselves due to the night of the week and a 7:30 reservation with 1 in the party not arriving until 8. Service was perfect, attentive and friendly and we were not rushed even though desert took us well past closing and by that time we were the only patrons in the restaurant. The food was excellent, well prepared and beautifully presented. Prices make The Craftsman kind of a special occasion place although a nice selection of sandwich options could also make it a neighborhood gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Pork Chop EverRussDined on 9/5/2014The meal was spectacular. The highlights were the incredible Char coterie plate, the best pork chop any of us had ever eaten and the sinful beignets.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Could be betterKayAnn54Dined on 8/30/2014The service was good. The drinks were good. The food was just okay. And for the prices they charged, I expected the food to be great. The pork chop had a lot of fat on it and hard gristle. The brown butter sauce was way too salty as were the buttermilk mashed potatoes. The polenta was good and the desserts were also good. I really liked that they offered a non sugary dessert, the cheese platter. One of the cheeses was pretty rubbery, which we all disliked. The presentation of the food was beautiful, but it lacked in quality and taste.Special Features:
- Our go-to for special occasionsBillADined on 8/29/2014The Craftsman is our neighborhood go-to place for a nice dinner out. We've always liked their food and their craft cocktails. Our most recent visit supported our opinion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic FoodStPaulTeacherDined on 8/22/2014Four of us had dinner here in a late summer evening. It was our first time here, and we were a bit apprehensive about it only because I was able to get a 6:30 reservation for that night (a Friday) only earlier that day. We thought maybe it would be bad food only because there were still openings available. We couldn't have been more wrong. Each person in our party had a different meal, and each of us was incredibly impressed with our meals. We also were impressed by the cocktails and beer/wine selection, and we got dessert too. Everything was fantastic! We will definitely go to Craftsman again!Special Features:
- Great foodScienthomasVIPDined on 8/21/2014The food at Craftsman is always excellent. We enjoyed the salads, the polenta, and the duck bolognese pappardelle. The cocktails were well made, but the two glasses of red wines were not great. Desert choices were varied and good. The service seemed a bit overwhelmed for a Thursday night. Based on the food quality, we intend to keep returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not its usual great serviceEpicuriousVIPDined on 8/18/2014Restaurant was quieter than normal, so the waitress was not overwhelmed, but our service was exceptionally poor. To never have my water glass refilled was the final straw. We will go back because we are hoping this was an exception, and just a bad day, but if it happens again, our favorite will be history.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious BurgersOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/11/2014We loved the turkey burger and the bacon hamburger. Both were done to perfection and had marvelous flavor! We will be back!Special Features:
- Wonderful eveningmanderdinerDined on 8/9/2014The food was interesting and flavorful so satisfying. We enjoyed their craft summer cocktails, creative and good. Our server was attentive and friendly. It was a wonderful evening !Special Features:
- Hit and missCustomerfromthestartDined on 8/9/2014Being in my neighborhood, The Craftsman could be my favorite place to go, if only I could overlook glaring inconsistencies in its food. Starting us off, the bartender was generous, competent and creative. Four stars for their signature drinks. The charcuterie plate had a lovely selection and we each sampled each meat offered--an exceptional appetizer at a reasonable price as it served as a true appetizer for 4 of us. If we could stop there or skip to desserts, we would have a hit. Grand Marais herring was very nicely done and got two thumbs up from a man who knows his fish. Hangar steak was tough and quite disappointing. Burger and fries were excellent. Pasta special was just o.k. Craftsman=Twins. Always rooting for them, but ...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Anniversary DinnerArtvanDined on 8/5/2014This restaurant was recommended to us by our foodie daughter and it did not disappoint. Craftsman has a wonderful outdoor seating area with vine-covered pergolas and heavy screening from busy E. Lake Street. The cocktail list looked great, but we took a pass in favor of a very nice and reasonably-priced bottle of wine. My wife had the Bibb lettuce salad with green beans and buttermilk dressing along with the gnocci prepared with spinach, peas, creme fraiche. My bite confirmed them as a wonderful seasonal preparations. My hanger steak and pomme frites were done to perfection--the bernaise sauce: addicting. The dense chocolate cake with creme fraiche was the perfect capper for our meal. Our server was delightful. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014I've been to the Craftsman numerous times and the staff and the food never disappoint.Special Features:
- Solid but rough around the edgesTheCuriousPalateDined on 8/1/2014The food and cocktails were really good--fresh, tasty, superbly prepared--but the service was very uneven. We arrived before the dinnertime rush but had to wait 45 minutes for our salads to arrive, while a family that arrived 10 minutes after us was already eating. One doesn't expect quick service, but a half an hour is enough to get rolling! Further bumps in what could otherwise have been a great evening: one salad was missing all the walnuts and almost all the cheese listed as ingredients (perhaps food preppers were at fault); and the pleasant, attentive waitress failed, at the end, to take the value of the coupon I gave her off the bill. We may return for the food; but a repeat of poor service will cross the Craftsman off our list.Special Features:
- Pleasant Patio DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/28/2014The menu always changes but is usually good. Excellent vegetarian options, attentive service. Quiet sitting outside despite several large groups. We'll be back soon!Special Features:
- jso1jso1Dined on 7/27/2014First visit. On a Sunday evening. Great food and excellent service. We will return in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So-SoJayZDined on 7/17/2014We were not overly impressed. Service was very slow. Our server was also the bartender so she was not very attentive. Food was OK. My polenta was piping hot with great summer veggies. They were out of rainbow trout by 6:30 p.m. We won't go back nor would we recommend it others.Special Features:
- I'll be back.Luv2eatanddrinkDined on 7/16/2014While the interior of the restaurant looked cozy and loved the decor, the outdoor patio was not to be missed. Sweet setting under beautiful foliage. The cocktail list was so enticing I had to go with two delicious and different martinis. I will be back to try others! The food was exceptionally good...apps that sounded simple were beyond that, the best hummus I've had and one of my favorite cheese plates. The trout was absolutely perfect - perfectly balanced and interesting flavors. Desserts all looked fabulous but couldn't pass up the delicate and sweet beignets. So much more I wanted to try, I will be back! Waitress was very knowledgeable and service was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!!!beseDined on 7/14/2014We had the pork chop and salmon and were done to our satisfaction! I would highly recommend this restraunt!Special Features:
- Great service, cocktails, and foodCMo73Dined on 7/12/2014My wife and I enjoyed our dinner at Craftsman. The service was great. Our waiter, Carlos, knew the menu and wine list very well, made great recommendations, and was there when we needed him. The cocktails were generous and well crafted. I get a little tired of all the mixology and appreciate classic cocktails done well. The food was delicious. The charcuterie lived up to its reputation - also, it's a generous portion. The entrees were really good. If you're looking for a charming neighborhoody place to have good food and drink, this is a place you should consider. A word to the sound sensitive, it gets really noisy in this restaurant. There are high ceilings, wood floors, and plaster walls - the sound bounces around a lot.Special Features:
- Good foodEPDinerVIPDined on 7/12/2014The food was delicious and the service was very good! The restaurant was a little cold (temperature) - had to go to the car to get jackets. The restauant was very noisy once it got busy - we had trouble hearing each other.
- What happened to our go to spot?DisappointingDined on 7/2/2014Very disappointing evening! It has been our neighborhood go to spot for a great meal for years and have never had a negative experience until this week. Service was very slow and poor, waitress was not engaged or helpful. Menu lacked inspiration and seasonal flare. Restaurant was half empty and food still took forever. Patio dining was negative experience, weeds and untended flowers, stuff stacked up and sitting around like empty pots and candles, patio tables did not have candles or flowers, simply set our napkin wrapped silverware on the table, I walked inside and found wait staff meandering behind bar, some eating, and rat trap greeted us in the parking lot. Will not go back. Could have had better meal in own back yard.
- A Monday evening dinner.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/30/2014Duck was good. Steak was tough and not so good. Pork chop was dry, overdone. Sides and desserts were good. I was expecting more, but it was a slow Monday night.Special Features:
- unimpressiveWalkerDined on 6/27/2014Have dined at the Craftsman many times, and last Friday was an unusually bad experience. Indifferent service (no water, no bread), tasteless trout for $26, leathery steak for $28. Perhaps because we were relatively late (8:30)? They can do better.
- Best Trout Around!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/26/2014My Gnochhi was delicious! And my wife's trout was some of the best fish I've ever eaten!! Highly recommended! A great place for our 10-year anniversary and whatever your special occasion may be!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.