New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
Gramercy / Flatiron
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.craftbarnyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 461-4300
- Hours of Operation:
Saturday & Sunday 10:30am-4pm
Friday & Saturday 5pm-11pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Pay with OpenTable,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Mediterranean, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Tom Colicchio; Chef de Cuisine, Lauren Hirschberg
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Craftbar can accommodate buyouts for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The maximum capacity for a seated event is 110 guests and for cocktails and hors d'oeuvres it's 200 guests.
A word from Craftbar
Chef Luke Wallace prepares seasonal inspired dishes at Tom Colicchio’s casual Flatiron restaurant. The menu features a wide variety of small & large plates from Snacks, House-Made Charcuterie, Salumi, Artisanal Cheeses, Salads as well as Handmade Pastas, all expertly prepared and beautifully presented. The rustic and comfortable dining room lends itself to a quick lunch where guests can try our Croque Monsieur, a full dinner of Choucroute Garnie and Ricotta Ravioli, or a snack of Pecorino Arancini and East Coast Oysters. We are also serving a soul-satisfying brunch with dishes like Pork Scrapple & Eggs and our Applewood Smoked Salmon prepared in-house. Be sure to save room for Pastry Chef, Abby Swain’s creations including her take on the S’mores Tart.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Craftbar reviews from OpenTable diners
238 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (146)good for groups (87)great for lunch (74)neighborhood gem (72)special occasion (51)hot spot (43)great for brunch (35)vibrant bar scene (33)notable wine list (31)romantic (18)kid-friendly (13)late-night find (11)great for outdoor dining (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- Maybe my expectations were too highOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/20/2014The atmosphere is awesome. It is a really cool place. The service was very good. Our server was very nice and all staff was incredibly helpful. However, the food was just kind of 'meh.' The Burata appetizer was simply not good. It may sound cliche, but it really could have used some salt. The presentation was beautiful, but I am disappointed when food looks better than it tastes. I had sea bream for my main course. I was given two filets, which were very thin and a little on the over-cooked side. I was in NYC for work and was super excited to have the opportunity to go to Craftbar. Maybe my expectations were too hugh, but my experience left me wanting more.
- Too noisy, cramped tableProdChrisDined on 11/19/2014We had a business dinner of 5. We wanted to be able to have good conversation so I specifically called ahead about the noise level. I was told it would be fine and we would get a quieter spot in the room. It was noisy. Also, we were placed in a half-moon booth which was absolutely uncomfortable and too small for 5 men. Two sat on the ends, one in the middle and two had to sit contorted on the corners. We asked to place a chair on the outside if the half-moon and were denied. We also asked for another table but there weren't any. Food was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sodium heavyToryDined on 11/18/2014I've been here twice over the last few years and both times my dining partners and I found the food to be consistently over salted. The menu is interesting and can satisfy a variety of dietary needs but the overuse of salt is big problem.
- Great Placezouzou216VIPDined on 11/11/2014Excellent food & friendly, knowledgable staff. We very much enjoyed our meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love itCRazeIrishDined on 11/8/2014Great food, great service. They were very accommodating to my wife allergies and our server was wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Location, friendly staff, average food.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014This place has a great location, friendly staff, nice décor and lively busy atmosphere. It's disappointing, then, that it just doesn't live up to expectation. The problem is the food. Promising names and succulent ingredients get the appetite going. Unfortunately, the reality was really rather drab. It left me and my four guests all feeling rather underwhelmed. To be fair, I don't think it would take too much to make this place really good but it isn't there at the moment. It will take a ruthless manager to sort out the kitchen staff to do it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flatiron dinnerCartoonGuyVIPDined on 11/7/2014Had a nice time @ Craftbar this past weekend. Went on a Friday night and enjoyed 3 hours of good food and conversation with some friends I hadn't seen in a long time. The service was great and the food was tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible food and service.phearedDined on 11/7/2014I have not a single bad thing to say about my experience here. The food and staff were just out of this world. Will visit again soon.Special Features:
- Local high spotEaglesfansDined on 11/7/2014Food and service were very good. Reasonably priced too for NYC. Drinks were great also.Special Features:
- rubysoho28Dined on 11/5/2014Wonderful as usual. Always a must when we visit New York.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Underwhelming...mhm2020Dined on 11/4/2014I met a friend for lunch here and was really unimpressed. It's a little hard to navigate the menu with overly complex dishes and nothing really jumped out as a star. Then they put my order into the kitchen in correctly, and discovered it only after my friend had already been served her food. I wasn't really updated on what the status of my order was until about 10 minutes later they told me that the order had gone in wrong, but the correct order would be out. The final dish was fine, but not what I would expect of Tom Colicchio restaurant. (I would have been asked to pack his knives that week.) It's a great location, nice enough space. It just needs to try harder to get the basics right.
- FoodieVIPDined on 11/1/2014The restaurant is big and it was fully booked on a Saturday night. We were seated on time and weren't rushed. The pork chops were cooked perfectly, a little on the salty side. I would go back for a dinner with friends, not necessarily for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Aloof ServiceDiner2VIPDined on 11/1/2014Waitress never told table of 4 specials. She was not very attentive during meal. Pouty during her service. Her manager did make it up by paying for our coffee and dessert. For that reason, I will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lesliejm13Dined on 11/1/2014Dinner was great, dessert wasn't memorable, but the waitress forgot to punch in a side order and comped it when she realized. Great beer list!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hard to judgeFLLdinerVIPDined on 10/26/2014Had dinner at 6:30 on a Sunday. Last meal of 8 in NYC and getting fairly sated. Nonetheless the silver anchovies on egg salad bruschetta was a best of. Everything else very competent just not as outstanding as some other meals we'd had. Two servers, one ok the other top drawer. Ambience as the big negative in our book. Little decor, wide table spacing, dim lighting but not romantic, just dim. Assume this place is best for large groups at a late dinner when the extra space between tables would be very welcome and the noise would become deafening. Nonethless you really can't fault the food except in a comparison with, say Casa Mono.Special Features:
- Enjoyed our brunchCkjannDined on 10/26/2014The food was Excellent. But for some reason the Bellini and the mimosa didn't taste that great. Great brunch spot. Not crowded at all at 11:30 on a Sunday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy for your tummyGenoDined on 10/25/2014Craftbar is the one place to go for great food and service. The Veal ricotta meatballs & cappellini exceptional as well as the buttermilk fried chicken. They have a good selection of wines. Definitely will return.Special Features:
- Average...JenrDined on 10/24/2014We were excited to try Craftbar and were disappointed. The food was ok but nothing to write home about. So many other great restaurants in NY.Special Features:
- Flat Iron Wonder, great fareBeamsDined on 10/24/2014Craftbar is excellent. It provides great, original fare that is unpretentious and just great. They have a fun, seasonal cocktail list and you pretty much can't go wrong with a salad and entree combo. I've become a repeat customer -- they have a great staff who were super helpful -- I happened to see them help a party from Japan and they the staff could not have been more patient and hospitable. It's also very reaonably priced.Special Features:
- Great MealOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/24/2014Every item we tried was delicious. Highlights were veal meatballs, fried chicken, arancini, sweet potato ravioli, and most everything else.Special Features:
- DeliciousRJamesDined on 10/21/2014Fabulous meal in laid back atmosphere. Will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for dinner with friendsAthenaDined on 10/20/2014An active scene makes this a fun place to come for dinner. The food is good, the prices a tad high, but not unusual for NYC. The acoustics aren't great, so this wouldn't be the best place to be meeting someone whom you didn't know or a meeting when you need to really have an in-depth conversation with.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific eveningLvFoodDined on 10/19/2014My girlfriend and I were just engaged and had our first dinner since the engagement at Craftbar. The pecorino fonduta, the arugula salad, fried chicken and spaghetti and meatballs were all prepared well and had great flavor. The service was excellent and each person there helped make the evening very special. Hats off to Craftbar for helping personalize the evening and make it memorable for both of us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodies beware!OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/19/2014We went for a birthday dinner. The service was excellent. The appetizers were delicious. The quality of the entrees were inconsistent: the rabbit was awful; the fried chicken was not properly seasoned; the meatballs were delicious; and the skate and salmon were just ok.
- So disappointing!!!Luv2dinenycDined on 10/18/2014As a Top Chef fan, we were really looking forward to our dinner at Craftbar, unfortunately-it was surprisingly inedible, & the service was pushy even though it was not busy. I said we we're going to enjoy our cocktail, then order & our waiter hovered by us in a way that felt uncomfortable. So we ordered. The broccoli rabe in the orecchiette (which was recommended) was overwhelmingly bitter, while the Squash Agnolotti was so sweet it should have been dessert...I took mine back, my husband didn't bother, but didn't eat much. Squash is a prominent item on the menu, so I tried the soup which tasted like baby food, the waiter shrugged like U should have known better...we were grateful that our hotel had a great restaurant & was still open. :(
- Excellent, creative & seasonalleslie37Dined on 10/18/2014Great menu with numerous seasonal choices. Delicious combinations of ingredients, albeit too salty. Great service - attentive but not overbearing. I'll return and ask them to hold the salt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Limited dinner menu optionsOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/17/2014I was disappointed in the menu. The only meat choice on the menu was lamb and since I don't eat lamb I opted for the fried chicken. It was ok, but $28 for fried chicken? I will come here only for a glass of wine or brunch.Special Features:
- Good but loudEleanoreWDined on 10/17/2014The noise level, including the music, made having a conversation difficult, so it wasn't a great night...even though the food was good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!`ShichmanDined on 10/16/2014As always, another incredible meal at Craftbar. The food is outstanding, but the service is even better!Special Features:
- never disappointsfussyoldergentDined on 10/14/2014food always inventive, but not pretentious or overdone. Usually dining with one vegetarian and they always have good options. Cocktails here are a real art and thoughtfully vs. trendily done. Noise level is energetic, but the spacing of tables allows you to have a conversation. Excellent overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- attentive staff with quality foodjchappellDined on 10/14/2014The staff was very attentive and friendly. We took a while to relax and enjoy a drink before ordering our main course and there was no pressure from the staff to "hurry up and order". They also were on top of our drink orders and came back to our table often enough to make sure we were okay. The food seemed to be of good quality. We ordered the oysters of the day which were delicious. The meatball dish was terrific as well. Overall this is definitely a place I would visit again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, average serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014The menu had great selections of breakfast, lunch and cross-over items to choose. Three of us had the buttermilk fried chicken and waffles which were excellent. The chili honey and sausage gravy (we specified to be on the side) were delightful. Four in our party had the double-patty burger and chips and could not stop talking about how great it tasted with bacon jam. One of us had the scrapple and eggs and said it was amazing. We also ordered sides of biscuits and gravy, bacon, and breakfast potatoes, all delicious. The portions are not overly generous, but fine for an average appetite. The service was very slow and the younger people in the group became impatient. We would return but perhaps when we are less hungry.Special Features:
- Just As ExpectedThisNYerDined on 10/9/2014Second time at Craftbar for a business lunch for which it seems just right. Great food and good service in a really nice room.Special Features:
- always goodOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/8/2014The food here is always great, the service is attentive, and the vibe is energetic. I always enjoy dinner here!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/7/2014Really nice restaurant in terms of ambiance and decor. Menu was a concise, but group was able to find options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not CraftEsq54VIPDined on 10/6/2014I have been to Craftbar twice. I have been to Craft once. Go to Craftbar for a week night dinner with a friend. Go to Craft for a special occasion. I the main difference is the service. The service at Craftbar is good if not very good but nothing special. The food is almost of the same quality. Overall for what it is I gave it 4 stars.Special Features:
- Another Colicchio SuccessStringsriderVIPDined on 10/5/2014Craft is my current favorite "high end" NY Restaurant, and is as close to perfect as a restaurant can be. Craftbar shares the Collicchio vibe -- outstanding food in a nice setting served by staff who either really like to do what they do or are turning in Tony Award Worthy performances as people who do. We stopped in for a quick quiet Sunday evening dinner after an event in the neighborhood. The tables are spaced nicely so, if it were crowded it might be noisier but not bad. We split a terrific arugula salad and ordered the veal and ricotta meatballs with angel hair and the coq au vin. Both were excellent dishes, but the meatball dish was uniquely outstanding in that the meatballs and sauce were special and the pasta was perfect.Special Features:
- Making a Birthday specialthespongeborgsDined on 9/28/2014When making the reservation through OpenTable, I wrote we were celebrating a birthday. We were very pleased when the Hosts who was seating us, saw on the reservation that there was a birthday in the group and congratulated the birthday girl. Then they handed out the menus and the birthday girl got a personalized menu wishing her a happy birthday on the banner of the menu. This made the special day even more special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- terrific considerate servicejctinnycVIPDined on 9/26/2014We had a business dinner here. The food was great. I have a ton of annoying allergies and the server was incredibly helpful and discreet. Even better the kitchen was the MOST accommodating. Everyone else LOVED their meals and the ambiance. We will.definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Above and beyondjbp52VIPDined on 9/26/2014I took my mom on a trip to NYC to celebrate her birthday. When making the OpenTable reservation at craftbar, I noted that it was her birthday. From the minute we walked in, the staff at craftbar made her feel like a million bucks. The host, GM, and our server all said happy birthday, and all asked how we were celebrating and took time to talk to us. They even printed a specialized menu for my mom that said happy birthday! Aside from all of this, the food and service were outstanding. I would go back anytime.Special Features: