Crab House at Pier 39
203C Pier 39
San Francisco, CA 94133Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Crab House at Pier 39
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.crabhouse39.com/
- Phone: (415) 434-2722
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday-Thursday: 11:30am - 10:00pm;
Friday-Saturday: 11:30am - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: J. C. Becerra
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), View
- Private Party Facilities: We have a beautiful room with windows looking at the bay and the Golden Gate Bridge. This room accommodates up to 50 people.
- Private Party Contact: Dan Talbot 4154342722
A word from Crab House at Pier 39
Voted "best crab in San Francisco", this cozy, wood-paneled boathouse is home of the world famous Killer Crab (R), over two pounds of roasted whole Dungeness crab. Other specialties include sizzling iron skillet-roasted mussels, shrimp and crab, crab enchiladas, crab cioppino, crab angel hair lasagna, hot crab melt sandwich, seared filet mignon and lobster thermidor.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Crab House at Pier 39 reviews from OpenTable diners
74 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (50)fit for foodies (27)good for groups (22)great for lunch (22)special occasion (19)hot spot (18)kid-friendly (12)great for outdoor dining (7)neighborhood gem (6)romantic (6)late-night find (6)great for brunch (5)notable wine list (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Must get the whole crab!MelissaLAVIPDined on 11/21/2014WOWOWOW! I hate shellfish.... but I tried the Dungeness crab because it was in season. I was compeltely blown away! We oredered the crab chowder (very different than what I was expecting) (it was not a heavy cream base which was good, has lots of vegetables which was different, but needed salt). We also got the crab cakes which visiually were a disappointment, but taste came through to save it. I was expecting jumbo lump crab cakes but they came out fried. The batter was a bit too much and mine were borderlline burnt. But the inside was delish! And the sauce it sat on was great. $18 for 2 crab cakes was a bit high. But the main entree was amazing. Whole crab on a steaming iron sitting in garlic butter! Taste was out of this world. Such a delicacy. VEry meaty, great for 2 to share. Perfect way to end a heavy appetizer round because since I was not starving, it allowed me to really savor the crab. OMG it was soooooo goood! Service was awful. They made us fell rushed, ignored us because we wanted water, and didn't deserve the extra 4% added to the bill for their insurance coverage.Special Features:
- Great crab. Poor service. Ok other food.KelliDined on 11/17/2014Fresh crab was excellent although a bit pricey considering it was the start of crab season and it's available everywhere for less $$. Waiter was rude, not friendly. Did the bare minimum. Didn't offer us bibs, was very slow to wait on us, drink refills slow. While the crab was great, other items on the menu we ordered were just ok and for the price not worth it. Examples: calamari and crab alfredo. Very small portions given the price and not great. Would go somewhere else for crab next time.Special Features:
- Tasty craboccassionaldinneroutDined on 11/7/2014my daughter was turning 11 and she loves crab and lobster. we came here for her dinner celebration (in lieu of a party with her friends) to try the crab - our first time. the roasted crab was yummy as was the mussels and shrimp. my son had the cheeseburger and seemed to like it just fine. my daughter's best friend came along for dinner too. she is a picky eater and surprised me by eating the shrimp, leaving her mac and cheese (made with fettuccini) , only half eaten (although she had said the mac & cheese was just ok). we would definitely return for the roasted crab.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Used to be wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/25/2014Have been going there for years. Went over the weekend and looking forward to the garlic crab. Got it, no garlic at all and tasteless. Asked for a side of fRlic sauce, got tasteless oil with a few peppercorns floating around. Asked the waiter and he basically told me I was crazy and that he worked there for 5 years. Not nicely either. Very rude, we had a hard time even getting his attention for anything. So big bust on their signature crab, won't go back. There are too many great restaurants in San Francisco. To bother with a bad one. Did have dessert. It was great.Special Features:
- Always goodMabrewstaDined on 10/18/2014We've always come here every time we're in the area. It's always fun the walk around Pier 39. Lots of places to shop and eat. The Crab House is our favorite. Food & Service doesn't disappoint.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SF experienceRobdrummsDined on 10/17/2014We had heard about the Crab House from friends that lived in SF and, as a family of seafood lovers, we couldn't miss it. Even though we were late for our reservation (traffic) we were seated quickly on a Friday night. Service was wonderful but the food was amazing. Kids couldn't eat enough crab. Calamari was fresh and the mussels and shrimp was delish!!! Thanks Crab House!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fit for Crab FoodiesLuv2wineVIPDined on 10/13/2014If you like crab this is the best I've ever had. No frills and not much to eat outside of crabs.Special Features:
- It's all about the crabcrabDined on 10/10/2014Tourist spot that the locals love on Pier 39. If you don't have the Crab feast with fries on the side and a bottle of wine when you eat here you've missed the whole idea. We take all our visiting friends to this spot and they always want to come back. We stop in whenever we get to SF from the East Bay-best crab around and the decor always brings a smile to your face. (The decorated crabs)Special Features:
- Not so good!!!Luca1fortalezaDined on 10/8/2014The location is truly nice, on Pier 39 with sea view , but the smell as soon you enter the restaurant is to strong ( be prepare to take a shower as soon you get back home) . The fish is fresh but the combo on iron hot board is coming with few crab parts, delusion. Nice lemon cake!Special Features:
- DisappointingalekatDined on 10/5/2014This was my fourth visit to the Crab House. On this visit I was extremely disappointed due to the crabs being over cooked.Special Features:
- Tourist TrapFoodCrazyDined on 10/5/2014We ordered the calamari appetizer and crab legs for 4. While the calamari appetizer was fine, the crab was just plain awful. I expected fresh steamed crab. What I received was crab that had been pre-cooked and then keep warm probably under a heat lamp so it was very over cooked. And it was served on a hot black cast iron plate swimming in grease everywhere (butter substitute maybe or blend of some sort) and the ends where there should have been crab looked to be fried from sitting in the hot grease so long. What crab was left that was edible was extremely overcooked lacking any flavor. When we spoke with a manager (it was that bad and we had 2 platters for 4) he said this was as it always was. They brought more but it was the same.
- Great Location, OK FoodspeakeasyDined on 10/4/2014The place is packed because it's right on Pier 39. The line is out the door, so you'll want to make reservations. But once you get there, you'll ask yourself, "I made reservations for this?". Why? The food is decent, nothing spectacular. The crab is good but too smothered in their garlic sauce. It was too oily for my taste. Not much of a beer selection either. They only have about 4 beers on draft. When I asked for an angry orchard, the bartender didn't know what that was.Special Features:
- Wonderful crab legs!Travel4FunDined on 10/4/2014If you are near the Fisherman's Wharf area in San Francisco, this place comes highly recommended for crab legs! They have some of the best I've ever tasted and they are more than worth the minimal effort to crack them!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really enjoyed our experience!Luv2dineoutanytimeDined on 9/28/2014My husband and I dined at the Crab House during our stay in San Francisco and had a really enjoyable experience. It had a very atmospheric, bustling dockside ambience. We had a lovely table with a sunset view of the Bay and the food was great! We had the seafood combo platter and everything was delicious! The service was very attentive. We would definitely return.Special Features:
- Not recommendolcrabDined on 9/28/2014No smile on waiter/waitress's faces. Services are not good. The sitting space is a little small.Special Features:
- Let downSorinaDined on 9/27/2014Glad I had a reservation. There were people waiting everywhere, inside and out, but we did get in within 10 minutes thanks to the reservation. The crab was good, (which is the only reason I gave 3 stars on the food,) but not special and it wouldn't be enough of a reason for me to go back. The calamari was terriable and the service was even worse. We couldn't even get the water glass refilled. The dirty dishes piled up on the table and everyone just ignored them. The management was running around in panic mode and barking orders at the staff, making the overall atmosphere even less desirable. I would not back.Special Features:
- Nice restaurant with delicious foodEugeneDined on 9/23/2014It is nice and delicious. Though the food is a little bit high price, but it's at pier39. Must try the whole crab and steam clams.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious and worth the wait :)JoeAndVerseVIPDined on 9/20/2014We don't generally visit Pier 39, as it is really a place for tourists. My brother was visiting from out of town and his kids wanted to see Pier 39. After hanging out for a while we hit the Crab House for dinner. My wife swears it is the best crab in the US. My brother feels the same way. The double mussels, double crab is her favorite. Since I don't really care for crab, I ordered the salmon fillet with mixed vegetables. I was quite surprised, it was seared to perfection and the vegetables were just right. This place has become our local favorite. By the way, the bar pours generously and the service delivered by Tony was outstanding.Special Features:
- Excellent crabs ... with a viewfjmvVIPDined on 9/7/2014I have tried many restaurants in SF to take my (often gourmet) friends and colleagues to. Crab House by far stands out as having the best prepared and tasty crabs, outstanding service and a gorgeous view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent experience as usual!FoodyguruDined on 8/30/2014My 4th time here. Every time i come to vacation in SF I make a point of eating a full crab here. The staff, from the entry podium to waiter and busser, in particular were very personable and relaxed friendly. All great! We ended up having the "lotsa crab" instead of my usual whole crab and it was deeeelisious! $56 fed us both and I jave no idea how many crab legs we had... All in a garlicy delicious buttery flavourful sauce. Yum yum yum! Pier 39 itself is a veritable nightmare if you are quiet and bookish lile I am but I subject myself each visit to SF to the environment because Crab House is so great. Loved our waiter and the host. Both very genuine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LisaOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014The restaurant is nice enough to seat us in ten mins because we have arrived an hour early. The food and drinks are nice but a bit over priced.Special Features:
- Dying for crabs? Get them here!patriot1973Dined on 8/29/2014No, not THOSE kind of crabs! The delicious, edible monsters from the sea that they serve you here! I was playing tour-guide to my friend and his wife visiting from Brazil and they wanted to eat seafood. This was the first place I thought of as I'd done the same for another Brazilian couple last year. Fast service, generous portions, nice beer (Great White is perfect to pair with the seafood!). They had a blast, we all ate until we were ready to pop and then walked it off on the Pier. Excellent!Special Features:
- Great place!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/24/2014As always, this is one of our favs. We love the Killer Crab.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Crab house pier 39AmazingDined on 8/23/2014The food is amazing. My favorite is the crab and pasta, the dishes are always excellent. This was my 4th trip to pier 39 crab house I always try different dishes and they are amazing. I made reservations for 4 we were late due to the ferry but they seated us as soon as we arrived. I can't wait to make reservations again. This is,y favorite place to dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YummyLadyroseDined on 8/22/2014The crab was excellent!! Perfectly cooked and seasoned. Severed on a cast iron skillet, marinated in a delicious garlic butter sauce. The bread was also perfect.Special Features:
- Yummy goodnesstravel55freeDined on 8/21/2014The crab chowder was amazing, the crab legs, wonderful. Our server, Katrie (sp) was excellent and the bartender made a mean mojito! Loved it and will be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Crab!PickyHungryGirlof3Dined on 8/17/2014Loved the crab! Only complaint was that there were not any "real" vegetarian dinners.Special Features:
- Bland, oily, crab Dirty and HairyNotSatified2014Dined on 8/16/2014Really thought it was going to be good. I was soooo wrong very dissapounted, burnt butter no garlic on crab just Cilantro and oil, dirty Crab very hairy
- First time at FWAdamCDined on 8/14/2014This place had some good reviews so thought we would try it. It was my first time at Fisherman's Wharf so I have nothing to compare it to as far as surrounding restaurants. But the first thing i noticed when we sat down was the great view. We were seated at a window table. It was packed and busy so it's understandable the waitresses weren't as personable as they could have been. the food was good. I had the Fish and chips and must say it was very good. My wife had the Crab Fettuccine and that was good as well. I would definitely recommend this place. Best to make a reservation even on a weekday.Special Features:
- FunnyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/12/2014Local cooking a good crab. I recommend it for a fun evening in how much you eat with your hands and pliers. When you exit annusatevi clothes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent crabzhang628528Dined on 8/11/2014Excellent crab, good service and beautiful view. I'll go there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- chaos getting in but great foodgslakkDined on 8/2/2014Make reservations. Go to the front of the line. They should really have 2 lines because it was pretty chaotic. The server was great and so was the food. Nice view!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 850 reviews are from the Crab House at Pier 39 reviews archive.
- Excellent Food and ViewwhatamessDined on 7/30/2014The crab with garlic sauce is gorgeous!!! And since we reserve online, they provide us a table by the window, just looking towards the pier 39. And we even saw a sea lion swimming and jumping very close to us. It's fantastic dining experience there.Special Features:
- Great nightMarcoDined on 7/28/2014We were four people and we had a great night. We reserve the table and it wasready on time. The fish was great and the time to serve the food was reasonable. Price was good for the type of food we had. I recommend itSpecial Features:
- Great seafoodKortex4VIPDined on 7/28/2014Very good clam steamers to start and then did Crab for 4. Good food, but service was slow because waiter was chatting with what looked to be friends at the next table.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/27/2014The food was very good. The service was ok. This place is very "turn and burn" like a chain restaurant. A party of 3 and a $150 tab in 40 minutes. Not a place you feel you can relax and enjoy your meal. Felt very rushed. Don't get me wrong, I love fast, prompt service but for the price I'd like to relax a bit and not feel hurried to give the next group my table.Special Features:
- Food Quality Had ChangedCherylVIPDined on 7/20/2014I have been to this restaurant many times before and enjoyed the crab and garlic noodles. This trip was different in that the taste of the crabs was bland as was the garlic noodles. I don't know if the difference is because they've changed their recipes or I had a different chef cooking before, but the taste was definitely different - very bland. Although the food was ok, it wasn't as good as what I had in previous visits.Special Features:
- Great crabsSteakloverDined on 7/16/2014The salivating waft of roasted garlic butter in the air became a yummy reality when our crabs hit the table. The taste of the crabs is simply fantastic. The garlic noodles were a very fitting accompaniment to our mail course. Our waiter was very attentive and made very helpful suggestions on our order which I appreciate very much. In the end the amount of food we order were enough for our party and with the right mix too. Thank you for a great crab dinner !Special Features:
- service is so socarrolDined on 7/11/2014there is great view , it is very nice of host , the friendly and handsome yong guy on the bar ,and work hard busboy , but the waitress is so so , just basic serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent crab, excellent serviceLeslieDined on 7/6/2014This is my sixth visit to the Crab House at Pier 39. As always, my guests were seated promptly and the wait staff was courteous and professional. We ordered our 'Killer Crabs', garlic fries and beers and were served in less than 10 minutes. I'll be back again to get my 'Killer Crab' fix!Special Features: