1298 Prospect Street
La Jolla, CA 92037Neighborhood:
La Jolla / Golden Triangle
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.crabcatcher.com/
- Phone: 8584549587x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00pm - 3:00pm; Brunch: Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - Close, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - Close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Californian
- Executive Chef: Jon Burwell
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Spectacular view of ocean marine life and sea-going activities.
A word from Crab Catcher
La Jolla's premier seafood restaurant, consistently #1 with locals and visitors, enjoys a spectacular ocean view and patio dining. The freshest of seafood and shellfish our specialty; the exciting flavors of California and the Pacific Rim our inspiration.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Crab Catcher reviews from OpenTable diners
145 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (121)special occasion (81)great for outdoor dining (79)romantic (76)fit for foodies (40)neighborhood gem (30)great for lunch (28)great for brunch (24)notable wine list (22)good for groups (16)hot spot (9)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (4)vibrant bar scene (3)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Quaint and romantic. Perfect lighting and ambiance. can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice for tourists or grandparents.Pam92011Dined on 9/24/2014Pleasant enough but décor needs updating. Service was excellent. Cannot beat the view of La Jolla Cove.Special Features:
- Great get together with Friends!!KKB1963Dined on 9/24/2014The ambiance, the VIEW (AMAZING), the food (YUMMY) delicious and the service was wonderful!! just love this restaurant!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food great servicesdttrodDined on 9/23/2014Food was excellent and staff focused on customer service. When staff keeps table clear drinks filled without interrupting the dining experience/ conversation I call that the best service. Will return.Special Features:
- Restaurant WeekOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/23/2014We attended other venues for the restaurant week offers for lunch. The Restaurant is very nice with a beautiful view. The service was great. We were very disappointed by the food offered and the price compared to other restaurants. The food was ok but more a snack than a lunch. We are not large meal consumers but this was more a $10 lunch than a $20. Expected more from such a great venue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely beautiful!gdubDined on 9/18/2014Wonderful food, attentive service and a gorgeous, gorgeous view! What a perfect evening!Special Features:
- Felt like a tourist trapGreatVIPDined on 9/17/2014The service was slow or non existent, and the food was poorly prepared.Special Features:
- Celebrating our Anniversary!pwdiner1Dined on 9/13/2014My wife and I had a wonderful dining experience at the Crab Catcher. Excellent ambiance, service and food was the order of the night! I had booked the reservation through OpenTable and mentioned we would be celebrating our 16th wedding anniversary there. When we arrived we were provided with a table with a great view of the Cove, and a little window which allowed the fresh ocean air to come in. From the start with the Sangria, bread, and salads, all was excellent. I had a crab stuffed ono which was excellent , and my wife had a halibut dish which was great as well. Perhaps the only item which was just ok was the brussel sprouts we ordered...perhaps a bit too chewy. Our waiter then brought us a great dessert on the house. Great night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as last timeYummDined on 9/13/2014Love Crab Catcher but food was lacking it's normal deliciousness - normally the food is exceptionalSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/11/2014LOBSTER was wonderful and prepared expertly. Lovely presentation. My friend had salmon, she loved her meal.Special Features:
- reglabbeDined on 9/7/2014When we have friends from out of town, we always bring them to the Carb Catcher. Great food, super location, free parking and there is always something to do afterwards.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and serviceneveragainVIPDined on 9/6/2014Service was not good. Waliter did not knoe answers to questions. We changed the main course and when it was diffrent then he described, he virtually called us liars when we asked about it. Brussell Sprouts were boiled and undercooked. Tables on either side of us recieved their food before us, and they were seated after us.Special Features:
- Beautiful view, good foodAstrideDined on 9/6/2014We had lunch at the Crab Catcher on a Saturday at the beginning of September and were pleased with our experience. We had a table by the bay window and the view was fantastic. The service was friendly and the food very good, on the pricey side but worth it. The only off-key note was the smell coming from the sea lions and marine birds across from the restaurant. The waitress explained that since it had not rained for a long time, the guano from the rocks and cliffs had not been washed out. Not something about which the restaurant can do much, but we would wait until the next rain before we go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gorgeous ocean viewPreciousVIPDined on 9/1/2014I do NOT recommend sitting on the patio or near the windows. This restaurant overlooks La Jolla Cove and the smell of the waste products of the pelicans and the seals are horrendous. We got a window seat inside and I have a very sensitive nose and had to close the window. I do recommend sitting further back if you also have a sensitive nose. Another couple by the window had the window open and were not bothered by the smell. The crab cake was full of crab and delicious, as was the crab blt sandwich. The clam chowder was watered down with little potatoes and clams but it still tasted good. Do NOT get the tiger shrimp parpadelle! The sauce was watered down with no flavor and definitely not worth $28! Our server was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding viewMarciDined on 8/31/2014The view is outstanding and the food matches! I highly recommend the Crab Catcher. The service is outstanding.Special Features:
- Unbeatable viewReviewer510Dined on 8/31/2014The food was fine. I would not pay full price. However, the living social deal and the beautiful view made it a lovely evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!MemeDined on 8/26/2014My sister and I went there to celebrate our birthdays. Our server, Misty, was fabulous, as was the food, wine, atmosphere and view! Great place to celebrate a special event.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MemorableMEK1Dined on 8/24/2014We celebrated our anniversary at Crab Catcher and it was a lovely evening filled with great wine, a seafood platter for two and an incredible view. Very enjoyable and it must happen again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Should have known better....DinnerVIPDined on 8/23/2014It had been several years since We had dinner at this restaurant. And, now I remember why. There are very few tables with a view. The dinning room is 1980's decor. The food was not hot.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/23/2014The food & service was great. The restaurant could definitely use a facelift.Special Features:
- okOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Food was good. Didn't really taste too special but was happy with it. Nice view of La Jolla Cove. Wine list seemed average. 100 dollars not really well spent.Special Features:
- Birthday CelebrationSanDiegoDinerDined on 8/17/2014We selected this restaurant for a birthday celebration. The food was good, the service was attentive and the wine list had a nice selection. We were seated outside in a corner with a nice view overlooking the cove. However because of the wind the aroma from the seals was noticeable nearby.Special Features:
- FIVE STARSJWP99VIPDined on 8/17/2014SUNDAY BRUNCH WAS A DELIGHT - - - AS ALWAYS ! ( Additional characters added to go beyond fifty. )Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- chicagoDined on 8/14/2014The foul odor from the out-of-doors premeated the inside of restaurant and the flies were terribly annoying and the arrival of the pigeon did not enhance our dining pleasure..Special Features:
- waiting time to be seatedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/12/2014I had to wait a lot before being seated due to no one was in the reception.Special Features:
- Date Nite ExtraordinaireOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/10/2014Had a stellar meal, view, service @ crab catcher this evening!a bottle merlot, lobster bisque, wedge salad, wash st. Oysters, and King Crab...beautifully plated, and each course timed perfectly!!! My only complaint was we arrived maybe 2 minutes before dinner service began, the hostess asked for our rez and our seating preference and then says, "we're Not seating people yet"...okay, so my husband leaves to use the restroom, the next group walks up, says they have a rez, and apparently it's now 5:30, because the hostess says, "we will seat you momentarily". It really struck me that she came off so negatively "we're Not..." VS the more appeasing "we will begin our dinner service shortly..."Sorry,semantics matter... This place ain't cheap;)Special Features:
- Best. Service. Ever.SeasonedCitizenDined on 8/9/2014If Scott is working, get a table at Scott's station. Nothing makes excellent food tastes better than superb service. We were treated like a $1000 table even though we were a LivingSocial deal. My 89-yr-old guest has to 'quiz' every server, and all her questions were answered expertly (she ate every bite of her crab-stuffed Halibut). I couldn't finish the Cioppino, (lite eaters could definitely split this), and it was seasoned perfectly. We loved the 'split' of Pinot Grigio, perfect for one generous glass for each of us. We were surrounded with very young children dropping food and forks and wrestling with their food, so the ambience at 7pm only gets 4 of 5 stars (come after 8:30 to avoid the kid noise). WE WILL BE BACK.Special Features:
- Great food and great service.mcrossDined on 8/9/2014Great food and great service. And the food was great. But the service was great. Wonderful dining experience.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/8/2014We've never been to Crab Catcher and found a coupon in Living Social and decided to check it out. What a great find! Arriving at 6pm on a Friday, we were able to get a table near the window for a spectacular view. Next time while the weather is still warm, we'll try their outdoor dining. After salad, entree and dessert, we were so full we decided to walk through the gate at their outdoor dining down to a path towards the beach to see the seals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great view, poor service.beckywaldDined on 8/7/2014Yes, the view is amazing no one can deny that. However for the prices I would expect a little better attention from the wait staff. Might try again for happy hour, like I said it does have an amazing view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced for qualityPB12Dined on 8/4/2014The view was beautiful and the waitress was very good. However, the food was definitely not worth the price. Luckily we had a living social coupon or I would've been really upset paying those prices for just okay food
- NiceTWow1015Dined on 8/2/2014We had a good experience. At first it smelled a little fishy but we got used to that quickly. Pricey menu but you are really paying for the lovely view. Our waiter was Kevin and he was fabulous. Thanks for a delicious meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Scott was greatOtldocDined on 7/29/2014Our server Scott was great. He made good recommendations and he was very pleasant.Special Features:
- Outstanding diningmitimomDined on 7/29/2014It had been several years since we visited Crab Catcher but were happy to see this long standing establishment is still as wonderful as we remembered. We split and married the crab stuffed flounder and the crab ravioli and added a side of asparagus. It was fantastic, seasoned and cooked perfectly. Scott, our server was extremely attentive and helpful with our selections. Every component of our meal was perfect with the exception of the odor coming from the abundance of marine life on the rocks below which they had no control over. They did, however, change us to an equally beautiful view table away from the open window at their suggestion.Special Features:
- Great food but smell of guanoLarryDined on 7/28/2014Really enjoyed the food and service here. Michael was an excellent waiter and the food could not have been any better. Something they can do nothing about is the fact that they sit above the La Jolla cove and the pelicans roost just below creating an enormous guano/uric acid smell. Not much they can do about it but took away one star from the review.Special Features:
- Great viewsSoCalFamilyDined on 7/27/2014The views from the window table I reserved were amazing. The food was just average.Special Features:
- Best view everDianeVIPDined on 7/26/2014Best Host, Best restaurant, and Best view from a Philadelphia Family. Thanks!Special Features:
- ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/26/2014Food was so bland! For $30+ plus a dish I expect a little bit of flavor. Our friends got crab and lobster, no complaints on their end. We also had a coupon that we used, was accepted, and our card was ran. then the manager came over, asked to check the purchase date and said we couldn't use it because it was purchased that day. Between the food and what I consider lack of customer service I'm not enthused to go back. But we have this coupon so we have to.Special Features:
- Not impressed.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/25/2014Our service was great, but the food was pretty terrible. We ordered the mix plate of seafood (52 dollars) and my husband ordered a steak (around 50 dollars). I expected better quality and taste. We won't be returning.Special Features:
- Beautiful ViewfunkyVIPDined on 7/25/2014The view was amazing, right on the window. The scallop dinner was excellent! My daughter ordered the Ciopino and it was not very good. The fish had been overcooked and she sent it back. They were very good to take it off our check. Everything else was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.