1298 Prospect Street
La Jolla, CA 92037Neighborhood:
La Jolla / Golden Triangle
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.crabcatcher.com/
- Phone: (858) 454-9587
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00pm - 3:00pm; Brunch: Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - Close, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - Close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Californian
- Executive Chef: Jon Burwell
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Spectacular view of ocean marine life and sea-going activities.
A word from Crab Catcher
La Jolla's premier seafood restaurant, consistently #1 with locals and visitors, enjoys a spectacular ocean view and patio dining. The freshest of seafood and shellfish our specialty; the exciting flavors of California and the Pacific Rim our inspiration.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Crab Catcher reviews from OpenTable diners
132 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (102)romantic (69)special occasion (66)great for outdoor dining (65)fit for foodies (37)neighborhood gem (30)great for lunch (27)notable wine list (21)good for groups (17)great for brunch (16)hot spot (7)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (6)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Should have known better....DinnerVIPDined on 8/23/2014It had been several years since We had dinner at this restaurant. And, now I remember why. There are very few tables with a view. The dinning room is 1980's decor. The food was not hot.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/23/2014The food & service was great. The restaurant could definitely use a facelift.Special Features:
- okOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Food was good. Didn't really taste too special but was happy with it. Nice view of La Jolla Cove. Wine list seemed average. 100 dollars not really well spent.Special Features:
- Birthday CelebrationSanDiegoDinerDined on 8/17/2014We selected this restaurant for a birthday celebration. The food was good, the service was attentive and the wine list had a nice selection. We were seated outside in a corner with a nice view overlooking the cove. However because of the wind the aroma from the seals was noticeable nearby.Special Features:
- FIVE STARSJWP99VIPDined on 8/17/2014SUNDAY BRUNCH WAS A DELIGHT - - - AS ALWAYS ! ( Additional characters added to go beyond fifty. )Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- chicagoDined on 8/14/2014The foul odor from the out-of-doors premeated the inside of restaurant and the flies were terribly annoying and the arrival of the pigeon did not enhance our dining pleasure..Special Features:
- waiting time to be seatedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/12/2014I had to wait a lot before being seated due to no one was in the reception.Special Features:
- Date Nite ExtraordinaireOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/10/2014Had a stellar meal, view, service @ crab catcher this evening!a bottle merlot, lobster bisque, wedge salad, wash st. Oysters, and King Crab...beautifully plated, and each course timed perfectly!!! My only complaint was we arrived maybe 2 minutes before dinner service began, the hostess asked for our rez and our seating preference and then says, "we're Not seating people yet"...okay, so my husband leaves to use the restroom, the next group walks up, says they have a rez, and apparently it's now 5:30, because the hostess says, "we will seat you momentarily". It really struck me that she came off so negatively "we're Not..." VS the more appeasing "we will begin our dinner service shortly..."Sorry,semantics matter... This place ain't cheap;)Special Features:
- Best. Service. Ever.SeasonedCitizenDined on 8/9/2014If Scott is working, get a table at Scott's station. Nothing makes excellent food tastes better than superb service. We were treated like a $1000 table even though we were a LivingSocial deal. My 89-yr-old guest has to 'quiz' every server, and all her questions were answered expertly (she ate every bite of her crab-stuffed Halibut). I couldn't finish the Cioppino, (lite eaters could definitely split this), and it was seasoned perfectly. We loved the 'split' of Pinot Grigio, perfect for one generous glass for each of us. We were surrounded with very young children dropping food and forks and wrestling with their food, so the ambience at 7pm only gets 4 of 5 stars (come after 8:30 to avoid the kid noise). WE WILL BE BACK.Special Features:
- Great food and great service.mcrossDined on 8/9/2014Great food and great service. And the food was great. But the service was great. Wonderful dining experience.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/8/2014We've never been to Crab Catcher and found a coupon in Living Social and decided to check it out. What a great find! Arriving at 6pm on a Friday, we were able to get a table near the window for a spectacular view. Next time while the weather is still warm, we'll try their outdoor dining. After salad, entree and dessert, we were so full we decided to walk through the gate at their outdoor dining down to a path towards the beach to see the seals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great view, poor service.beckywaldDined on 8/7/2014Yes, the view is amazing no one can deny that. However for the prices I would expect a little better attention from the wait staff. Might try again for happy hour, like I said it does have an amazing view.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced for qualityPB12Dined on 8/4/2014The view was beautiful and the waitress was very good. However, the food was definitely not worth the price. Luckily we had a living social coupon or I would've been really upset paying those prices for just okay food
- NiceTWow1015Dined on 8/2/2014We had a good experience. At first it smelled a little fishy but we got used to that quickly. Pricey menu but you are really paying for the lovely view. Our waiter was Kevin and he was fabulous. Thanks for a delicious meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Scott was greatOtldocDined on 7/29/2014Our server Scott was great. He made good recommendations and he was very pleasant.Special Features:
- Outstanding diningmitimomDined on 7/29/2014It had been several years since we visited Crab Catcher but were happy to see this long standing establishment is still as wonderful as we remembered. We split and married the crab stuffed flounder and the crab ravioli and added a side of asparagus. It was fantastic, seasoned and cooked perfectly. Scott, our server was extremely attentive and helpful with our selections. Every component of our meal was perfect with the exception of the odor coming from the abundance of marine life on the rocks below which they had no control over. They did, however, change us to an equally beautiful view table away from the open window at their suggestion.Special Features:
- Great food but smell of guanoLarryDined on 7/28/2014Really enjoyed the food and service here. Michael was an excellent waiter and the food could not have been any better. Something they can do nothing about is the fact that they sit above the La Jolla cove and the pelicans roost just below creating an enormous guano/uric acid smell. Not much they can do about it but took away one star from the review.Special Features:
- Great viewsSoCalFamilyDined on 7/27/2014The views from the window table I reserved were amazing. The food was just average.Special Features:
- Best view everDianeVIPDined on 7/26/2014Best Host, Best restaurant, and Best view from a Philadelphia Family. Thanks!Special Features:
- ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/26/2014Food was so bland! For $30+ plus a dish I expect a little bit of flavor. Our friends got crab and lobster, no complaints on their end. We also had a coupon that we used, was accepted, and our card was ran. then the manager came over, asked to check the purchase date and said we couldn't use it because it was purchased that day. Between the food and what I consider lack of customer service I'm not enthused to go back. But we have this coupon so we have to.Special Features:
- Not impressed.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/25/2014Our service was great, but the food was pretty terrible. We ordered the mix plate of seafood (52 dollars) and my husband ordered a steak (around 50 dollars). I expected better quality and taste. We won't be returning.Special Features:
- Beautiful ViewfunkyVIPDined on 7/25/2014The view was amazing, right on the window. The scallop dinner was excellent! My daughter ordered the Ciopino and it was not very good. The fish had been overcooked and she sent it back. They were very good to take it off our check. Everything else was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1119 reviews are from the Crab Catcher reviews archive.
- UnderwhelmingPapaTVIPDined on 7/22/2014Our meal was very mediocre and not what we have been accustom too when dining at Crab Catcher. Perhaps Monday nights are not he night to dine there..Special Features:
- Gem of La Jolla VillageCarlaRNVIPDined on 7/20/2014One of Prospect Street's restaurant gems and one of our favorites. Beautiful ambience, excellent food with lovely presentation. Good hot bread.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, REAL good!LeenLovesFoodDined on 7/20/2014Food is excellent! The crab bisque and mussels are my favorite. I have also had the crab ceviche, which is delicate and delicious. If you don't like seafood, then go there for a drink or two! It's right on the La Jolla shores, and you view is all ocean.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious as alwaysdonnah54Dined on 7/20/2014Spent a very wonderful time at Sunday brunch--one of San Diego's best!Special Features:
- Food was amaingKMomDined on 7/19/2014Everything we had from the cocktails to the sea food was absolutely delicious. They also saved us the best seats in the house so we could celebrate our anniversary over looking the ocean. Our waiter was honest, friendly and funny.Special Features:
- youngsmile8Dined on 7/14/2014I celebrated 7th anniversary with my boyfriend there. We were there for his birthday 2,3 years ago. Everything is good, except I wish I eat the crab leg faster... I don't like it cold, but when I am working on the last several pieces, they are cold. No complaint though, because we spent too much time taking pictures first! :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedTarncaVIPDined on 7/12/2014While the service was great, I was overall disappointed. Food was average for the prices. I was also upset when an upscale restaurant like this charges you for each soda refil. For the prices on the menu, that is ridiculous. Not sure I will be back.Special Features:
- Dining with rats!CrabcatcherrodentsDined on 7/12/2014It's very hard to swallow an over cooked tuna especially at the price that it came. I could have dealt with the over cooked, unseasoned food, but the worst part of all ideas having our second year anniversary dinner ruined. Not one but TWO rats came charging down the wall and ran toward us before disappearing underneath our window where we were sitting. I was in utter disgust. Such a nice place, but yet were dining with rodents. I couldn't even tell our waiter I was so disgusted. But worst of all is I can't imagine if those things were inside the building. It ruined our special night.Special Features:
- Pleasant experiencefoodgasmicDined on 7/11/2014I really enjoyed the ambiance of the restaurant, the view was very nice and calming. Our server was courteous and prompt. Overall I really had an enjoyable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/8/2014Very average food - way to expensive. Great view.Special Features:
- La Jolla Crabs - EXPENSIVE!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/7/2014Not bad...Not outstanding! Service was good, ambience and the ocean view almost made the meal worth the money! If you're in the mood for seafood, there are much better places both in La Jolla and San Diego!Special Features:
- Great first time dining!AmyodalDined on 7/6/2014Great view, food, and service! First time and it lived up to reputation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great!DianeVIPDined on 7/4/2014This restaurant is La Jolla. Jamie, the host, really works hard to get everyone a great table. We were right at the window overlooking the pacific. Thanks!Special Features:
- Not much of a viewJustthefactsVIPDined on 7/4/2014Only one table truly has the view of La Jolla Cove. The other tables can't see much. The waiter was over worked and we waited to have our table cleaned off or order dessert. Considering the super high cost of the meals it wasn't worth it. Won't be going there again since there are other choices in that area such as Eddie V's.
- Just ok this time.ColleenVIPDined on 7/4/2014We came to Crab Catcher last year and had a great experience so we thought we'd try it again. Our server was wonderful;however, we were seated at the worst table in the restaurant with no view of the ocean. We made reservations and people who just walked in we're given better tables than us. I ordered the halibut, which was completely over cooked and had to be sent back. It was much better the second time it came out. My fiancé ordered the crab stuffed fish and loved it. For dessert, he had the key lime pie an I had the paradise pie; both were excellent. Overall it was an ok experience but nothing about it was extraordinary.
- Great Food but...CMsteveVIPDined on 7/3/2014The food here is consistently good but does come as the a price. Nice atmosphere and great to service along with an outstanding view make this Chart House restaurant a place to choose to dine if money isn't an object. The menu really does offer a broad variety of choice favoring fresh seafood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- keolaDined on 7/1/2014We've been to the Crab Catcher twice and both times were great. The food is amazing. The first time we went there the server suggested the fire shrimp with polenta...so good!!!! A definite must have for the next time there. The crab is amazing and when in season, the spiny lobster. Must better than any Maine lobster I've ever had.Special Features:
- Outstanding ViewseatoutDined on 6/29/2014The service was great and the food delicious. Our table had a beautiful view of the cove.Special Features: