1298 Prospect Street
La Jolla, CA 92037Neighborhood:
La Jolla / Golden Triangle
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.crabcatcher.com/
- Phone: 8584549587x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00pm - 3:00pm; Brunch: Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - Close, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - Close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Californian
- Executive Chef: Jon Burwell
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Spectacular view of ocean marine life and sea-going activities.
A word from Crab Catcher
La Jolla's premier seafood restaurant, consistently #1 with locals and visitors, enjoys a spectacular ocean view and patio dining. The freshest of seafood and shellfish our specialty; the exciting flavors of California and the Pacific Rim our inspiration.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Crab Catcher reviews from OpenTable diners
131 reviews since March 25 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (105)special occasion (79)great for outdoor dining (78)romantic (77)fit for foodies (39)neighborhood gem (35)great for brunch (33)great for lunch (29)notable wine list (26)good for groups (22)kid-friendly (9)hot spot (7)late-night find (7)vibrant bar scene (6)Show More
- Gem of La Jolla VillageOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/20/2014One of Prospect Street's restaurant gems and one of our favorites. Beautiful ambience, excellent food with lovely presentation. Good hot bread.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, REAL good!LeenLovesFoodDined on 7/20/2014Food is excellent! The crab bisque and mussels are my favorite. I have also had the crab ceviche, which is delicate and delicious. If you don't like seafood, then go there for a drink or two! It's right on the La Jolla shores, and you view is all ocean.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious as alwaysdonnah54Dined on 7/20/2014Spent a very wonderful time at Sunday brunch--one of San Diego's best!Special Features:
- Food was amaingKMomDined on 7/19/2014Everything we had from the cocktails to the sea food was absolutely delicious. They also saved us the best seats in the house so we could celebrate our anniversary over looking the ocean. Our waiter was honest, friendly and funny.Special Features:
- youngsmile8Dined on 7/14/2014I celebrated 7th anniversary with my boyfriend there. We were there for his birthday 2,3 years ago. Everything is good, except I wish I eat the crab leg faster... I don't like it cold, but when I am working on the last several pieces, they are cold. No complaint though, because we spent too much time taking pictures first! :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedTarncaVIPDined on 7/12/2014While the service was great, I was overall disappointed. Food was average for the prices. I was also upset when an upscale restaurant like this charges you for each soda refil. For the prices on the menu, that is ridiculous. Not sure I will be back.Special Features:
- Dining with rats!CrabcatcherrodentsDined on 7/12/2014It's very hard to swallow an over cooked tuna especially at the price that it came. I could have dealt with the over cooked, unseasoned food, but the worst part of all ideas having our second year anniversary dinner ruined. Not one but TWO rats came charging down the wall and ran toward us before disappearing underneath our window where we were sitting. I was in utter disgust. Such a nice place, but yet were dining with rodents. I couldn't even tell our waiter I was so disgusted. But worst of all is I can't imagine if those things were inside the building. It ruined our special night.Special Features:
- Pleasant experiencefoodgasmicDined on 7/11/2014I really enjoyed the ambiance of the restaurant, the view was very nice and calming. Our server was courteous and prompt. Overall I really had an enjoyable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/8/2014Very average food - way to expensive. Great view.Special Features:
- La Jolla Crabs - EXPENSIVE!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/7/2014Not bad...Not outstanding! Service was good, ambience and the ocean view almost made the meal worth the money! If you're in the mood for seafood, there are much better places both in La Jolla and San Diego!Special Features:
- Great first time dining!AmyodalDined on 7/6/2014Great view, food, and service! First time and it lived up to reputation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great!DianeVIPDined on 7/4/2014This restaurant is La Jolla. Jamie, the host, really works hard to get everyone a great table. We were right at the window overlooking the pacific. Thanks!Special Features:
- Not much of a viewJustthefactsVIPDined on 7/4/2014Only one table truly has the view of La Jolla Cove. The other tables can't see much. The waiter was over worked and we waited to have our table cleaned off or order dessert. Considering the super high cost of the meals it wasn't worth it. Won't be going there again since there are other choices in that area such as Eddie V's.
- Just ok this time.ColleenVIPDined on 7/4/2014We came to Crab Catcher last year and had a great experience so we thought we'd try it again. Our server was wonderful;however, we were seated at the worst table in the restaurant with no view of the ocean. We made reservations and people who just walked in we're given better tables than us. I ordered the halibut, which was completely over cooked and had to be sent back. It was much better the second time it came out. My fiancé ordered the crab stuffed fish and loved it. For dessert, he had the key lime pie an I had the paradise pie; both were excellent. Overall it was an ok experience but nothing about it was extraordinary.
- Great Food but...CMsteveVIPDined on 7/3/2014The food here is consistently good but does come as the a price. Nice atmosphere and great to service along with an outstanding view make this Chart House restaurant a place to choose to dine if money isn't an object. The menu really does offer a broad variety of choice favoring fresh seafood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- keolaDined on 7/1/2014We've been to the Crab Catcher twice and both times were great. The food is amazing. The first time we went there the server suggested the fire shrimp with polenta...so good!!!! A definite must have for the next time there. The crab is amazing and when in season, the spiny lobster. Must better than any Maine lobster I've ever had.Special Features:
- Outstanding ViewseatoutDined on 6/29/2014The service was great and the food delicious. Our table had a beautiful view of the cove.Special Features:
- The perfect evening!DianeVIPDined on 6/28/2014Great host And server. Seafood for two a must. Can"t wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely place for dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/25/2014We found this on Groupon and will be returning, even without a discount. The wait staff was excellent, attentive without being intrusive. Our table was on the patio, right next to the window overlooking the beach, so we could see sea lions and pelicans. We ordered calamari as an appetizer, which was done perfectly and the right quantity for two. Our entrees were cioppino, which was some of the best we've had outside San Francisco, and the Alaskan king crab. Both featured generous quantities of crab and the cioppino was full of shellfish and perfectly cooked fish in a flavorful broth. We had been eyeing the dessert table on the way in, but our meals were so filling that we regretfully declined. Perhaps next time we'll skip the appetizer!Special Features:
- DisappointedNEgirlinKCVIPDined on 6/25/2014After reading several reviews, we were disappointed because you can't actually see the sun set or "million dollar view" due to the orientation of the restaurant. So the overpriced food wasn't really worth it to us.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/25/2014The price for the product was just too much. The salmon portion was too small and was a bit over cooked. Service, however, was really good.
- Delicious food with an ocean viewOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/22/2014We sat on the patio and enjoyed a gorgeous view of La Jolla Cove at sunset. The beet salad, ahi taco, and chocolate torte were especially delicious, and the whole evening was delightful. It has been many years since I've dined at Crab Catcher, and I am looking forward to returning very soon. Delicious food with an ocean view, two very high priorities for me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular AmbianceWe2travelabitVIPDined on 6/21/2014This place is a joule overlooking the La Jolla cove. The food is fresh, the service is great, and the view is spectacular. What more woud you you need to make a memorable meal?Special Features:
- Good FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/20/2014Great location, parking is underneath the building, great service, food and a million dollar view.Special Features:
- Great viewTmc5Dined on 6/20/2014Fiid is a little pricey but you are paying for the wonderful view and great service. I've had their appetizers, salads, sandwiches, fish, desserts and everything has been good. So go, relax and enjoy. Definitely a place to take out of town guests.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was mediocre, staff was greatKristine16Dined on 6/18/2014My dad and I had dinner for Father's Day, and the service was fantastic. The food was mediocre (we had the halibut as our main course), but the desserts were delicious. I've been here several times before and had the crab legs for dinner and the crab omelette and crab bisque, which were all exemplary, so maybe stick to what they're known for: the crab :-)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- wonderful mealDinerdiverDined on 6/18/2014We loved the halibut dinners that we sll ordered and the service was superb.Special Features:
- Decadent Brunch or Special OccasionAdamHDined on 6/16/2014Love the presentation of the food and drinks. I have had some of the best waitstaff wait on us at the Crab Catcher. The views and the ultra fresh food make this gem in La Jolla a go-to special occasion restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/15/2014love the view, food is expensive, service is fine.Special Features:
- The amazing night as we wantedHaleyDined on 6/14/2014For my husband's birthday, never been to this restaurant, I was hoping it was good, and it was amazing. I gave it a 5 star for great experience overall - best you can ask for any special dining - great staff from manager to hostess to waiter, amazing ocean view in the patio with heater, excellent food from appetizer to salad to main dish to dessert, and they made the most authentic mai tai. What more can you ask for.Special Features:
- Choose the SushisashimiloverDined on 6/12/2014The Crab Catcher has striking views and for that reason, it appeals to visitors. However, the food is overpriced and and our entrees were not good enough to cause us to become repeat diners. The best dish was a sashimi appetizer from the bar.Special Features:
- Fantastic Find!foodie14Dined on 6/8/2014Everything about this place was amazing. The did was prefect, the variety was vast, the hostesses and waiters were friendly and helpful. My only complaint was the rude family that allowed their infant to play with their iPad on high volume at the table; at least until the waiter asked them to put it away.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing FoodSDFoodieDined on 6/7/2014The food was excellent and the service superb. I especially loved the amazing outdoor seating!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Every entree was delicious!!!NanAZDined on 6/7/2014Highly recommend! Each dish was perfect! Great celebration dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2GrandDined on 6/7/2014The service was very pleasant. The wait staff was very attentive and responsive. We had a table in the corner with a great view of the water and surrounding area, but with the window open, the visits by "non-paying guests" was a constant. There was an ant on my table when I sat down and another ant showed up during my meal. The truffle fries were awesome and the scallop entree was delicious.Special Features:
- Uneven ExperienceWanttoLuvLunchDined on 6/3/2014Handicapped and looking for lunch? You should be happy here. Parking accessible underneath restaurant with an elevator. Walkway a little uneven but not too bad. Table spacing was comfortable. Ambiance was relaxing and view of ocean was wonderful. BUT food was high dollar and not consistent. Baja Steamed Oysters were beautifully done and presented. I had small order but might indulge for more next time. Crab cake sandwich was very disappointing. Crab cakes were mushy, not crisp to them. Dressing on sandwich did not enhance the seafood at all. Side order of Brussel Sprouts were appreciated because so many restaurants don't offer decent vegetables. They were just not cooked quite enough to be a five star dish but were tasty.Special Features:
- Awesome ViewTLD54Dined on 6/1/2014It was a little difficult to find but the food was very good. As for the service ( the best that we've ever had ). The view from the outside dinning area was breath taking ( full view of the ocean and costal cliffs ), a must see after dinning, just below the restaurant the seals are up on the beach and all in the cliffs around the water. A great experience in dinning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceLP48Dined on 5/30/2014Enjoyed everything about this place. The ambiance was amazing. We sat at the window and had a view overlooking La Jolla. The food was excellent and the service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always fantasticDRTCDined on 5/29/2014I ate here 13 years ago and came back again with my family of 8. It was fantastic top to bottom. I would recommend for anyone. The lobster and crab was fabulous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Seafood by the seaAnneMacDined on 5/26/2014I was delighted by the service and ambiance at the Crab Catcher. The waitstaff was attentive and fun. They even pointed out points of interest in the beautiful La Jolla shoreline that stretched before us. I started with the field greens salad. It had deliciously soft goat cheese and seasoned Macadamia nuts on top. I then enjoyed the Tomba (albacore) on a bed of red rice and Spanish chorizo. The serving size was perfect for my eating plan so I finished it all. My partner enjoyed the bisque and the crab-stuffed fish. Then we blew our diest completely with the incredible Paradise Pie (Macadamia nut ice cream on a chocolate crumb crust). It was a very pleasant evening and we felt that it represented the La Jolla Experience perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.