1298 Prospect Street
La Jolla, CA 92037Neighborhood:
La Jolla / Golden Triangle
SeafoodPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.crabcatcher.com/
- Phone: 8584549587x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:00pm - 3:00pm; Brunch: Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:30pm - Close, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - Close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Californian
- Executive Chef: Jon Burwell
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: Spectacular view of ocean marine life and sea-going activities.
A word from Crab Catcher
La Jolla's premier seafood restaurant, consistently #1 with locals and visitors, enjoys a spectacular ocean view and patio dining. The freshest of seafood and shellfish our specialty; the exciting flavors of California and the Pacific Rim our inspiration.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Crab Catcher reviews from OpenTable diners
135 reviews since July 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (110)special occasion (70)romantic (69)great for outdoor dining (66)fit for foodies (38)neighborhood gem (29)great for lunch (26)notable wine list (20)great for brunch (17)good for groups (12)hot spot (9)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (4)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Best of La JollaexpdinerDined on 10/25/2014As usual we had a wonderful meal preceded by a fantastic view of La Jolla Bay. The service was fine and the many children there that evening were mostly well-behaved. We consider the Crab Catcher one of the best restaurants along the California coast and probably the best in La Jolla.Special Features:
- Date nightIvanaDined on 10/24/2014My boyfriend and I love to come to Crab Catcher for our date nights. We had oysters Rockefeller for appetizer and linguine with mussels and crab lags for dinner. Everything was excellent!! Service was outstanding as always. We will be back soon :)Special Features:
- Good food, good serviceSueSVIPDined on 10/24/2014For a large, popular restaurant, the service was exceptionally professional, warm and helpful, especially assisting us in navigating a menu with a lot of good choices and interesting combinations. Since we were visitors to the area, we were unable to locate their garage and parked elsewhere down the street. When we left, a manager escorted us down on their elevator and walked out on the street with us and directed us to where our car was a few blocks down. At the upper level, the restaurant is in a row of other restaurants and parking is at a premium, so their private garage is a great amenity and we will know for our next visit.Special Features:
- FantasticOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/20/2014We had a fantastic experience. The food was perfect, the view increadible and the service was perfect. Would definitely recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must-go!!foodiecriticDined on 10/19/2014This is by far one of the BEST seafood places I've gone in a very long time!! If ever in San Diego, you have to go check them out. The service was great, the restaurant itself was amazing and the our waitress, Misty was fabulous!! It was a very nice, social, but quiet, serene place to eat. I will DEFINITELY be going back when in San Diego.Special Features:
- Great brunchLJfanDined on 10/19/2014We enjoyed a delicious brunch. Great service, excellent seafood, gracious service, and free-flowing champagne. Amazing view table as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/18/2014Overpriced for average food--excellent service to start but waiter got overwhelmed towards the end as he got busier. Beautiful spot in La Jolla. Quiet outside on the patio.
- Amazing View and Fantastic Food!stone71Dined on 10/18/2014I took my wife here for our Anniversary and was thoroughly pleased! Daniel, our server, was fantastic! He was attentive, personable and really made us feel welcomed. The food is amazing (I had the Halibut and my wife had the crab stuffed Mahi Mahi). They seated us at a very private table, right on the window looking out on the amazing view of the La Jolla Cove. This place is awesome! Great food, amazing view, spectacular service......a real gem!Special Features:
- Great view, but get there early!SleepyJCDined on 10/17/2014The view is great and it's what makes this place special, so be sure to check when the sunset is, and get there at least 30 minutes before the sunset, and make sure you get stable with a view. Otherwise it's just an overpriced restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExpierenceGP2goDined on 10/12/2014Our waitress was excellent. Friendly, thoughtful, excellent CS. Had an excellent view but it was a little crowded so it was hard to hear at time. Food was great. Would come again for any occasion. Especially with out of town guest.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's all good!DickDined on 10/11/2014Great seafood & wine. Easy for dinner conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PriceySuziherDined on 10/3/2014Food and service were good but it was a little pricey. Restaurant has partial ocean view. I would compare this restaurant to The Marine room, which is also pricey but it has a nicer view than The crab catcher.Special Features:
- Way to priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/3/2014The lobster was undercooked. The potatoes tasted and looked like they came from the freezer. Not what I expected for a 200 dollar dinner for two. On the other hand the service was great, mike gave us a desert for the undercooked lobster claw.Special Features:
- Lovely outside seating with viewkirstenb21VIPDined on 9/28/2014We really enjoyed our recent dinner here. They were featuring a wine by the bottle and unfortunately gas run out but the they were avid to recommend a different amazing bottle. Food was well presented and tasted amazing. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lucianoDined on 9/27/2014Quaint and romantic. Perfect lighting and ambiance. can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice for tourists or grandparents.Pam92011Dined on 9/24/2014Pleasant enough but décor needs updating. Service was excellent. Cannot beat the view of La Jolla Cove.Special Features:
- Great get together with Friends!!KKB1963Dined on 9/24/2014The ambiance, the VIEW (AMAZING), the food (YUMMY) delicious and the service was wonderful!! just love this restaurant!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food great servicesdttrodDined on 9/23/2014Food was excellent and staff focused on customer service. When staff keeps table clear drinks filled without interrupting the dining experience/ conversation I call that the best service. Will return.Special Features:
- Restaurant WeekOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/23/2014We attended other venues for the restaurant week offers for lunch. The Restaurant is very nice with a beautiful view. The service was great. We were very disappointed by the food offered and the price compared to other restaurants. The food was ok but more a snack than a lunch. We are not large meal consumers but this was more a $10 lunch than a $20. Expected more from such a great venue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely beautiful!gdubDined on 9/18/2014Wonderful food, attentive service and a gorgeous, gorgeous view! What a perfect evening!Special Features:
- Felt like a tourist trapGreatVIPDined on 9/17/2014The service was slow or non existent, and the food was poorly prepared.Special Features:
- Celebrating our Anniversary!pwdiner1Dined on 9/13/2014My wife and I had a wonderful dining experience at the Crab Catcher. Excellent ambiance, service and food was the order of the night! I had booked the reservation through OpenTable and mentioned we would be celebrating our 16th wedding anniversary there. When we arrived we were provided with a table with a great view of the Cove, and a little window which allowed the fresh ocean air to come in. From the start with the Sangria, bread, and salads, all was excellent. I had a crab stuffed ono which was excellent , and my wife had a halibut dish which was great as well. Perhaps the only item which was just ok was the brussel sprouts we ordered...perhaps a bit too chewy. Our waiter then brought us a great dessert on the house. Great night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as last timeYummDined on 9/13/2014Love Crab Catcher but food was lacking it's normal deliciousness - normally the food is exceptionalSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/11/2014LOBSTER was wonderful and prepared expertly. Lovely presentation. My friend had salmon, she loved her meal.Special Features:
- reglabbeDined on 9/7/2014When we have friends from out of town, we always bring them to the Carb Catcher. Great food, super location, free parking and there is always something to do afterwards.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food and serviceneveragainVIPDined on 9/6/2014Service was not good. Waliter did not knoe answers to questions. We changed the main course and when it was diffrent then he described, he virtually called us liars when we asked about it. Brussell Sprouts were boiled and undercooked. Tables on either side of us recieved their food before us, and they were seated after us.Special Features:
- Beautiful view, good foodAstrideDined on 9/6/2014We had lunch at the Crab Catcher on a Saturday at the beginning of September and were pleased with our experience. We had a table by the bay window and the view was fantastic. The service was friendly and the food very good, on the pricey side but worth it. The only off-key note was the smell coming from the sea lions and marine birds across from the restaurant. The waitress explained that since it had not rained for a long time, the guano from the rocks and cliffs had not been washed out. Not something about which the restaurant can do much, but we would wait until the next rain before we go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gorgeous ocean viewPreciousVIPDined on 9/1/2014I do NOT recommend sitting on the patio or near the windows. This restaurant overlooks La Jolla Cove and the smell of the waste products of the pelicans and the seals are horrendous. We got a window seat inside and I have a very sensitive nose and had to close the window. I do recommend sitting further back if you also have a sensitive nose. Another couple by the window had the window open and were not bothered by the smell. The crab cake was full of crab and delicious, as was the crab blt sandwich. The clam chowder was watered down with little potatoes and clams but it still tasted good. Do NOT get the tiger shrimp parpadelle! The sauce was watered down with no flavor and definitely not worth $28! Our server was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding viewMarciDined on 8/31/2014The view is outstanding and the food matches! I highly recommend the Crab Catcher. The service is outstanding.Special Features:
- Unbeatable viewReviewer510Dined on 8/31/2014The food was fine. I would not pay full price. However, the living social deal and the beautiful view made it a lovely evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!MemeDined on 8/26/2014My sister and I went there to celebrate our birthdays. Our server, Misty, was fabulous, as was the food, wine, atmosphere and view! Great place to celebrate a special event.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MemorableMEK1Dined on 8/24/2014We celebrated our anniversary at Crab Catcher and it was a lovely evening filled with great wine, a seafood platter for two and an incredible view. Very enjoyable and it must happen again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Should have known better....DinnerVIPDined on 8/23/2014It had been several years since We had dinner at this restaurant. And, now I remember why. There are very few tables with a view. The dinning room is 1980's decor. The food was not hot.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/23/2014The food & service was great. The restaurant could definitely use a facelift.Special Features:
- okOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Food was good. Didn't really taste too special but was happy with it. Nice view of La Jolla Cove. Wine list seemed average. 100 dollars not really well spent.Special Features:
- Birthday CelebrationSanDiegoDinerDined on 8/17/2014We selected this restaurant for a birthday celebration. The food was good, the service was attentive and the wine list had a nice selection. We were seated outside in a corner with a nice view overlooking the cove. However because of the wind the aroma from the seals was noticeable nearby.Special Features:
- FIVE STARSJWP99VIPDined on 8/17/2014SUNDAY BRUNCH WAS A DELIGHT - - - AS ALWAYS ! ( Additional characters added to go beyond fifty. )Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- chicagoDined on 8/14/2014The foul odor from the out-of-doors premeated the inside of restaurant and the flies were terribly annoying and the arrival of the pigeon did not enhance our dining pleasure..Special Features:
- waiting time to be seatedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/12/2014I had to wait a lot before being seated due to no one was in the reception.Special Features:
- Date Nite ExtraordinaireOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/10/2014Had a stellar meal, view, service @ crab catcher this evening!a bottle merlot, lobster bisque, wedge salad, wash st. Oysters, and King Crab...beautifully plated, and each course timed perfectly!!! My only complaint was we arrived maybe 2 minutes before dinner service began, the hostess asked for our rez and our seating preference and then says, "we're Not seating people yet"...okay, so my husband leaves to use the restroom, the next group walks up, says they have a rez, and apparently it's now 5:30, because the hostess says, "we will seat you momentarily". It really struck me that she came off so negatively "we're Not..." VS the more appeasing "we will begin our dinner service shortly..."Sorry,semantics matter... This place ain't cheap;)Special Features: