148 Main St
Lander, WY 82520Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://cowfishlander.com/
- Phone: (307) 332-8227
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Contemporary American, Brewery
- Executive Chef: Chris McDonald
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We have two private dining rooms and a private outdoor deck. We can accommodate parties from 10-60 people. Rooms must be reserved in advance and special menus are available.
- Private Party Contact: Caitlin Hereford 3073328227
A word from Cowfish
Located inside a historic and beautifully restored 100 year old brick building, Cowfish offers a fun and lively atmosphere paired with excellent food and knowledgeable service. Our menu features hand cut steaks, local grass fed burgers, fresh fish and our innovative pastas and salads. All our beers are brewed on site by the Lander Brewing Co. Its popular lineup of refreshing, made from scratch microbrews includes beers that have won awards at the Great American Beer festival, the World Beer Cup and other competitions. Enjoy a romantic dinner in our candlelit dining room or a more casual dining experience in our pub. In the summer, we offer the added attraction of dining on our outdoor patio under a trellis of wild Cascade hops.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Cowfish - Best Restaurants in Lander ›
Cowfish reviews from OpenTable diners
25 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (14)great for outdoor dining (12)special occasion (11)neighborhood gem (11)hot spot (11)fit for foodies (11)romantic (7)kid-friendly (5)notable wine list (5)vibrant bar scene (4)great for lunch (3)late-night find (2)scenic view (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Outstanding!WYOGALDined on 10/13/2014We had a delightful meal of fresh salmon (not farm raised). The wait staff was very attentive and friendly. We will definitely return when we wre next in Lander.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor service leaves a bad tasteCityMouseVIPDined on 10/4/2014Our 2nd time here, we were looking forward to it. We (party of 2) were there for an early dinner on a Saturday, not very busy yet. We were seated in the bar area, it was quite chilly. Waitress said there was no other area that was warmer. We ordered an appetizer to share, each ordered a side salad & entree +1 beer & 1 glass of wine. Appetizer came, was delicious (mussels). We were enjoying it in a leisurely manner when suddenly our salads arrived. We were at one of the high tables, not too much room for lots of plates. The waitress took away our mussels - we had just finished, we were about to enjoy the sauce left in the bowl. Entrees arrived , right on top of the salads. Timing poor.
- Has it allLanderGuyDined on 9/19/2014With a reservation, these guys are really accommodating to just about anything. Inside can be intimate and quite, the back room is great for groups, and the patio is great if you have kids. Food is phenomenal, and there's plenty of variety on their menu for just about anyone. The owner is also really active and supportive of the community.Special Features:
- AmazingWYPineconeDined on 9/18/2014Codfish is my favorite restaurant in Lander. Dinner was great that night and we had a good time. My only complaint would be we asked for a spot that was somewhat private and quiet and we were placed in the dining room. I would have preferred a room on the alternative dinning area. Otherwise it was great as usual!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- COWFISH DOES NOT HONOR OPEN TABLENorthHillsianDined on 9/16/2014CowFish does not accept reservations made with opentable even though open table allows you to make them. Please fix that ASAP.Special Features:
- surprising find in small townTreet2eatDined on 9/16/2014A real gem in a small town. The food is fantastic. We have been there several times in the past two years and the menu has new dishes every time. Service has always been great,with attentive and knowledgeable staff. Great wine list and bar service. They use local ingredients when possible and great craft beer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent & Yet InnovativeLanderiteDined on 8/21/2014Expanded outdoor dining enhances the summer appeal of this solid restaurant. It has become a Lander favorite. Specials always add a touch of interesting and the regular menu continues to innovate. One of Wyoming's best!Special Features:
- Great PlaceFoodloverDined on 8/15/2014The Cowfish is a local favorite! Great food and fun atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cowfish blows our minds once againamdee1979Dined on 8/15/2014My wife and I only have a couple opportunities every so often to take advantage of a date night with having a small child. When we do get the opportunity, we choose Cowfish! This was only our second time visiting and just like the first time, this place delivered another amazing dinner. Enough cannot be said about the quality of the sushi, wine, staff and atmosphere of this restaurant. Our waitress took the time to investigate what kinds of wine and sushi we liked and made strong suggestions which we obliged to try. This place is just absurd... absurdly delicious! Oh, and don't ever try the parmesan cheese fries because you will never be able to stop eating them!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a trip to LanderOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014We had a party of 10, and received attentive but discrete service, great recommendations for our entree choices and tasty food! Steaks were a bit overdone, but everything else was delicious! Worth a visit to Lander, and deserving of it's great reputation!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy Dinershirll60Dined on 8/1/2014We all enjoyed our experience of dining at Cowfish very much. The food was good, the service good, and the all around experience of dining at the Cowfish was very enjoyable.Special Features:
- Birthday suppertomandsuziDined on 7/30/2014The food was very good. The service was excellent. The beer was outstanding. I especially liked the barleywine. We will definitely visit this restaurant again.Special Features:
- The following 65 reviews are from the Cowfish reviews archive.
- CharliebrownDined on 7/19/2014Great food, great service. I love the beer and appetizer's keep up the good work and quality of foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overpriced/OverratedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/17/2014This restaurant is trying to be a big city trendy restaurant in the small town of Lander Wyoming. It is way overpriced and the food was marginal. I ordered the sirloin steak with 3 schrimp kabob on top and garlic mashed potatoes, they call this dish something that I don't recall. The steak was a bit over cooked as I ordered it medium rare and was cold. The shrimp was way over cooked and cold. I did not receive the garlic mashed potatoes but something else, although it was tasty.Special Features:
- Good food, good beerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/17/2014Eight of us ate dinner at the cowfish. The food was very good and the beer was very good as we'll. I was surprised by the menu options. You can eat for a reasonable price from the pub menu or pay a little more money and order from the dinner menu. Our group ordered items from both menus and everyone was very happy with the food. I would definitely recommend and go back there again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brewery findsteamboatflyerDined on 7/17/2014Found shortly after our afternoon arrival in town with large group bike ride through its vibrant yellow color and interesting name and graphic, we ate lunch at the adjacent Gannett Grill also run by the brewery and thoroughly enjoyed it and headed back with a group of 10 for dinner. They were unable to accommodate the time requested but called and suggested options. Interesting menu which includes pub food as well as more elaborate mains and appetizers. I thoroughly enjoyed my baby kale Caesar salad and crisped Brussels sprouts spaghetti carbonara which was perfectly cooked. Service was good under very busy conditions. Based in what was formerly a brick car repair shop, the interiors are modern and industrial.
- Service was greatWyocubanDined on 7/9/2014Our server was so attentive to our needs and the food as a so tastySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food Excellent, Service Not so MuchjusiDined on 6/14/2014We had a reservation for 8 pm. I checked in at the host stand at 7:55 pm and then watched several groups of people get seated before us. I finally intervened with the host at 8:15 pm as he was about to seat 2 more people in front of us. I told him we had a reservation and he sat us down right away and offered us a free cocktail. I'm pretty sure the host was one of the owners so it was disappointing that the owner didn't acknowledge our reservation, especially after I checked in with him before our reservation time. But that aside, the food was outstanding and so was the free mojito. It was the best mojito I've ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- June 11, 2014OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/11/2014Our reserved table was waiting. The service was prompt (but not rushed) and cordial. The entrées met our expectations. We sat in the dining room which was only partially occupied during our visit but the noise level was still more than desired.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something new to tryslowlorisDined on 6/10/2014It's always a pleasure to eat here; the menu offers a deep variety and the specials are special. This time we sampled the Brussels Sprouts appetizer and were quite taken by their crisp deliciousness. Staff are helpful, friendly and informative. It's a great choice for locals to take their out-of-towners as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If the service matched the foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/23/2014The food is always amazing at Cowfish. The place is a family favorite when we are craving a great night out. The service is touch and go but won't prevent a future visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Enjoy My VisitswyominggirlDined on 5/10/2014We live in Farson and every time we have to go through Lander we will eat here and sometimes even make a special trip for the good food. This is the nicest restaurant we have found in Wyoming. Service is always pleasant and food is great. I even saw the bartender check the glasses before she sat them back on the rack to reuse, today it's hard to find a place to eat that cares about serving clean glassware!Special Features:
- good night outrodeobellewyDined on 5/3/2014I eat here once or twice a month with friends. I usually order steak or shrimp because this is not what I cook at home. Both dishes are always so good. Staff is always pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always great.LeslieDined on 4/26/2014We are never disappointed in this this restaurant and will always return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time, loved itNorthHillsianDined on 4/22/2014It looks cool and the food is great! I was surprised by the price. It was lower than I expected!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved our dinner!!! The foodSportygirl77VIPDined on 4/12/2014Loved our dinner!!! The food is amazing and so was our waiter Jeff!!!Special Features:
- Delicious Food But CrowdedCowgirl6Dined on 3/25/2014Cowfish has become a very popular place in our little town and it can be difficult to even eat there unless you have reservations. The food was delicious and exquisite, everything was sanitary, and our waitress Heather was friendly and accomodating. However, they have jam-packed as many people as can humanly fit into the restaurant and you can barely walk to your seat. I could hear everything the people around us were saying as they were all about 3 feet away, which didn't lend itself to a romantic, private dinner. A heavy-set person would have a hard time just squeezing through the chairs to get to a seat. I would love to see Cowfish expand their space so they can fit more people and so that it is more comfortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/25/2014Went for our 30th anniversary. It's been very good and previous experiences. We both got rib eye steaks which turned out to be so tough and stringy we couldn't eat much. We ended up leaving most of it on the plate.
- 20th Anniversary TreatPickymomDined on 3/24/2014Our family of 4 adult eaters came away extraordinarily satisfied with each of our meals. A salmon, 2 steaks and a meatloaf all prepared to perfection, with ample quantity and excellent quality. The Cowfish didn't disappoint in the least. Steaks cooked MR just right, salmon flavorful and moist with unique but yummy polenta and grilled asparagus. You don't get meatloaf in a fine-dining restaurant everyday, but this was tasty, moist with enough to save as tomorrow's lunch. It's spendy but worth it if you're going to take the plunge. March Madness 2 for 1 entrees helps.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in the AreaGivemelocalDined on 3/22/2014It's hard to find good food in a rural area, but Cowfish makes it possible. They have great specials and deals, like BOGO for the month of March. The calamari was a odd blend of flavors, but props for originality. The entrees and dessert were fantastic. I had the salmon, while my fiance had the ribs, both were cooked perfectly. We both greatly enjoyed dinner with very generous portions and decided to try dessert. We had the chocolate cake, we were warned by our waitress that it is cooked to order and takes 15 minutes. We had the time and are very thankful we waited. Delicious! Food, service and ambience were great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Appreciate March madnessRKNRJMDined on 3/14/2014This restaurant runs a special on entrees through out March. Gives us an opportunity to try some new dishes. The staff is very friendly and accommodates as best they can those without reservations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Still can't sit in the restaurantWantedMoreDined on 3/8/2014Made reservations for my anniversary. Under special remarks, I put down, restaurant only, do NOT want the bar/lounge. They stuck us in the bar again. (My wife encourgaged me not to make a scene and just eat in there). Server was great, she was really busy but still did a good job and always had a smile. Ordered a steak medium. It came out medium rare. I have a policy, never to send food back to the kitchen. So I had it med rare. Overall we enjoyed ourselves. However, this is the second time I have requested not to sit in the bar and they seat me there. Not sure if I will eat there again since I detest being in bars.Special Features:
- Extras!!!landeagogalDined on 3/8/2014Be aware that all offerings, soup or salad? will add $$ to the ticket. A wedge salad $9 becomes $10 if split in the kitchen. It's as if each offer has a cost attached. Once you catch on...it's manageable.Special Features:
- Poor service.AlonaDined on 3/8/2014Yesterday was the first time I dined out at your restaurant. The interior was great. Food was outstanding! However our service was lacking. We never got the bread we ordered. Our steak was served first, followed by the salads 2 minutes after, and our appetizer another 5 minutes later. As you can imagine our table was overcrowded with plates, not to mention we did not appreciate getting our food out of order.Special Features:
- Nice evening.goodfoodDined on 3/8/2014My husband and I went out on a date and enjoyed our time very much. We appreciated the discount with March Madness! Food was yummy, although I wish there were veges served with main dishes. Ambiance great, and enjoyed that kids were in the restaurant and not shunned. Casual feel, but you can dress up a bit and enjoy that, too. Our waitress was super nice and friendly. One of the best we have ever had. She works as a teacher, but is working at the Cowfish for now.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never a let down.OneHappyRoseDined on 3/1/2014I have been to the Cowfish multiple times and have never had a bad experience. Always a friendly wait staff and know the products and services Cowfish offers. I would say to make a reservation becuase this place is the place to be!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Forced 18%gratAfanDined on 3/1/2014Wasn't happy about forced to pay 18% gratuity . That should be a choice based on service. The service was great don't get me wrong But I don't like to not have a choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Open tabledartbrendaDined on 2/22/2014While my experience at the cow fish in raleigh was outstanding, opentable actually made the reservation at cow fish in Wyoming? Why? I live in nc. The manager at the cow fish at north hills actually honored the reservation after we finally realized the mistake since they do not use opentable. He was great, but I am seriously upset with opentable. This could have ruined a celebration night for our group!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice restaurant, fair foodJDCFDined on 2/15/2014This restaurant was recommended to my husband and I due to its reputation for great steaks. We had reservations and were seated in a prompt manner (within 5 minutes). The atmosphere was very nice and service was great. However, we really did not enjoy our meal. The steaks (dry rub ribeye) were dry (cooked medium-well) and the rub gave the steaks a burnt flavor. I enjoyed the roasted potatoes. However, my husband wanted to get french fries and the waiter told him that the chefs put together the choices as they should be eaten. Both my husband and I really enjoyed the fried leeks. The wine was reasonably priced. My husband ordered soda and it was really flat tasting. Overall, it just wasn't the experience we expected for a $100 meal.Special Features:
- I caught you a delicious bassMpeepDined on 2/15/2014The server talked us into the Sea Bass over ratatouille, and it was amazing. I asked her if they had the fish flown in and she said yes, just that morning. So great to be able to get excellent dining in such a small Wyoming town. Keep it up Cowfish!Special Features: