Cowell & Hubbard
1305 Euclid Ave
Cleveland, OH 44115Neighborhood:
Downtown Cleveland / Playhouse Square
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
Cowell & Hubbard
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://cowellhubbard.com/
- Phone: (216) 479-0555
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday- Wednesday 11am- 10pm
Thursday- Friday 11am- 11pm
Saturday 4pm- 11pm
Sunday 4pm- 8pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Zack Bruell
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Sean McNeil 2164790555x
A word from Cowell & Hubbard
Contemporary French cuisine with Mediterranean and Asian influences.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Cowell & Hubbard - Best Restaurants in Downtown Cleveland / Playhouse Square ›
Cowell & Hubbard reviews from OpenTable diners
289 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (215)special occasion (155)hot spot (86)neighborhood gem (79)good for groups (73)romantic (71)notable wine list (69)vibrant bar scene (45)late-night find (29)great for lunch (17)scenic view (7)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Very pleasant dining prior to the theaterGregDined on 11/22/2014The service was excellent and attentive. The server was very helpful with entree selections and recommendations. Quality of the food was very good, nicely prepared and reasonable portions. We were very happy with the overall cost of our experience. They also were watchful that dinner was complete with enough time to make the opening curtain.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LUV2EATLUV2EATDined on 11/16/2014Pre show. Caramelized Fennel and Arugula salad was really good and the Pork Tenderloin was Outstanding, fork tender, served with Polenta, Spinach and Carrots. The noise was a little loud but it was crowed. Our server seemed a little shy . I haven't been there in about a year and I wonder why.. Will be back soon..Special Features:
- Consistently good fooddoublecorgisDined on 11/16/2014I dined here for the third time and again the food and ambiance stood out. Three of us had different entrees and we all found them delicious. The service, appetizers, drinks, entrees and dessert were what going out to eat is all about.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice, but not our kind of foodKpriceVIPDined on 11/16/2014Everyone enjoyed their meal, but the food is very rich and kind of eccentric. If you want that type of food. This is the place to go. Like I said everything was great, just not to our liking.Special Features:
- Great Place To Go Before The Show1opentablefanVIPDined on 11/16/2014Nice that they asked about our plans so we could make it to the Playhouse on time. We were in and out without ever feeling rushed. Not a fan of the banquet seating, to close to be comfortable. Loved the unending bread basket going by our table and the cheeseboard was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was good - not great.AjaxDined on 11/15/2014The food was good - not great. The house wine was $14 per glass - pretty expensive. It is very convenient to Playhouse Square so a good pre-theater place. We will probably go back for that reason.I would recommend this to a friend.
- luv2boatVIPDined on 11/14/2014Always great food at ANY Zach Bruell restaurant. This time they were SO concerned with getting everyone out in time for shows at Playhouse Square that service was rushed and lacking. Quite unusual for Cowbell and Hubbard.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very EnjoyablecrackerjackgDined on 11/14/2014Since we were going to a play at Playhouse Square, we decided to give Cowell & Hubbard a try. We were delighted with the food and the great wine list. However we were most impressed with the service, it was truly outstanding! Our server, Jennifer, was delightful, friendly but not imposing. The food was quite good however was pricey as expected. All in all. a wonderful first stop on a "evening to remember"!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- close to theater districtreginaVIPDined on 11/14/2014bartender very friendly. food good. a little pricey ;for quality. close to venues for music and theaterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant WeekBirthdaydinnerDined on 11/13/2014Our usuaL pretheatre dining. Always a pleasure, tried a new speciialty cocktail, very clever use of dark rum and cider. Ordered from the restaurant week menu, pleased with the roast pork. Nathan was an attentive and interested server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will returnOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/13/2014Excellent food and service. The recommended wine went well with all four entrees.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steps from Playhouse Square, good food & service!Content57Dined on 11/12/2014Dining before a Bob Dylan concert we were just steps away from the State Theater. We arrived 25 minutes before our reservation, however we were immediately seated in the near capacity restaurant. Our service was good, Joe along with the entire service team took good care of us. The affable Jennifer, served our cabernet, a good buy at $13 glass. We enjoyed the escargo, served in an adorable mini iron pot, (which was much better than the typical floating in garlic butter). I loved my vegan stuffed pablano peppers and quinoa side dish. My husband enjoyed his beef shoulder dish which resembled pot roast. He said it was delicious and was certainly plenty of food. We will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DONT VALET PARK!leamalone00Dined on 11/12/2014The restaurant was wonderful. We valet parked our cars as we were told that it would be fine to pick it up after the show. we stopped for a quick drink afterwards and went to the restaurant by 11pm. they were closed and the valet parker had left. we spent two hours in the freezing cold and not properly dressed for it, until someone finally showed up with our keys. it was absolutely horrible and ruined the eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tremendous foodgobagirlDined on 11/11/2014Food was amazing - great presentation, fresh and interesting.Special Features:
- Always enjoyable...playhouseConnieDined on 11/11/2014Never disappointed when dining at Cowell and Hubbard. We were fortunate to be eating there during 'Restaurant Week' and enjoyed a wonderful dinner at a great price! My friend and I both chose the Romaine Salad which was crisp and flavorful, the Cod Fish which was baked to perfection and also flavorful on a bed of sliced potatoes and a delicious tomato salsa. For our desert we chose the Hazelnut Cheesecake on an Orange Sauce....WOW! Perfect ending to another wonderful dinner. I had the recommended French Rose' and it was smooth and delicious. Great service and attention to detail. We will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- watchingDined on 11/9/2014great dinner everything was great, my wife loved the wineSpecial Features:
- Theater DistrictNYE14Dined on 11/9/2014Great spot for before theater dinner. Advantage for this night was the Restaurant Week menu. Good portions, delicious choices.Special Features:
- Love2eatluv2eatVIPDined on 11/9/2014There were 4 of us. We happened to go during restaurant week and that is always fun. The 3 course meal had items we all liked. The pork tenderloin was so delicious. Not a complaint from anyone. We were all going to a play and they moved us along nicely so we made the show on time. Wonderful evening and meal as usual.Special Features:
- Great spot before a show!DianeEatsVIPDined on 11/9/2014This is the perfect downtown spot to dine before heading to Playhouse Square. It's on the same block as the theatre, offers reasonably priced valet parking, and the staff is attentive to the diner needing to get in and out to make curtain. Food is always tasty and they have plenty of reasonably priced options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Something for EveryonebookwomanDined on 11/9/2014After reading other reviews, I was worried that the service would be slow, and we'd be late for our show. The service was excellent. No problems getting to the show! The food was fabulous from the soup to the dessert. Since I'm vegetarian, it was nice to have some delicious choices. I would definitely go there again.Special Features:
- Pre-Show Gathering of FriendsUDParentVIPDined on 11/9/2014We ate here before going to a Sunday show and there were multiple shows at Playhouse Square, so it was extra busy. Our server and his staff were very attentive. He gave us a good review of the menu and the Restaurant Week specials. I ordered the porchetta and didn't care for the amount of fat, although it was very flavorful. Our server told me it would be well-marbled, and I should have listened. It would be nice to see more changes to the menu and also a salad that is a regular lettuce salad for those non-adventurous diners. Otherwise, Cowell & Hubbard always serves a delicious meal.I would recommend this to a friend.
- MewwDined on 11/8/2014This is my second time at the restaurant. The best thing I had was my mixed drink. My husband and I returned to celebrate our anniversary there two years in a row and our dinner was not very palatable. We both has stomach aches later that evening. Might I suggest less roasted meals . I had the chicken breast which I think I got a thigh with a leg on it. My husband got the lamb which was not well prepared. My Quinoa salad (Sp?) was awful. Sorry. Last year menu was much better.Special Features:
- A fabulous restaurantFoodietooDined on 11/8/2014It was my first time at Cowell and Hubbard. My friend had told me how good it was so I had high hopes! I was definitely not disappointed--I had a fabulous meal and can't wait to go back! The atmosphere was wonderful and my overall experience was great!Special Features:
- Great experience-good vegan dishesCHF216VIPDined on 11/7/2014Zach Bruell was inspecting each plate as they went out of the kitchen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never fails to satisfy and impresseriggleVIPDined on 11/7/2014We regularly attend the events at Playhouse Square and always book a table at Cowell and Hubbard. The staff is friendly and knowledgeable on the entire menu. They are also cognizant of the start times of the events at Playhouse Square yet we never feel rushed or pushed. It is an excellent, diverse menu with something interesting for everyone. Looking forward to our next event at Playhouse Square and our next dinner at Cowell and Hubbard.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Recommended theater dining pickLike2eatDined on 11/7/2014Was very happy with my choice to eat here prior to our play. Very unique dinner selections to make it feel special. Waiter was aware of that we had theater tickets and made sure we were on time. Many different staff attended to our every need. It was a little loud but everything else was very romantic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I will be back, at least several timesRandRDined on 11/7/2014I went to Cowell & Hubbard before seeing one of three or four shows at Playhouse Square that night. The service was very good considering the number of people they were dealing with in a compressed period of time. The main reason I will be back is for the menu. There were at least three dishes in each category of appetizers, entrees, specialties that I was considering for dinner that evening. My final choices built up to such a wonderful meal that I actually had dessert, which I rarely partake off. Since I was by myself, I dined at the bar, and was rewarded with a very pleasant experience. The bar staff was attentive and courteous without being smothering.Special Features:
- Wonderful anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/7/2014My wife and I had a wonderful anniversary dinner here. Our server, Amy, did a fantastic job explaining the menu, answering our questions, and providing excellent recommendations. We appreciate that she took her time with us, even though the restaurant was busy. And, of course, the food was amazing, from appetizers through dessert. A great meal, from start to finish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good choice pre-theaterlook4lindaDined on 11/6/2014We have eaten at Cowell & Hubbard before theater many times. Service was a bit slow this time, and all four of us sent back our entrées because the meat was undercooked. This restaurant is close to theaters and convenient to the parking garage. We dined during Retaurant Week, and the meal appeared to be very rushed and the space is always noisy. Personnel appear to be concerned about good service, but do not deliver consistently, especially when they realize the party is trying to make a theater engagement. Overall, it seems to be a very hit or miss experience when dining at this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeJeneDined on 11/6/2014The food is always interesting and excellent and the service is really attentive and friendly.Special Features:
- Restaurant weekyogi12Dined on 11/5/2014Visited to take advantage of Restaurant week menu with another couple who hadn't been there before. We thoroughly enjoyed out meal/visit when we first went over the summer. The special menu did not disappoint...even the portion sizes were larger than I expected them to be (wine too!). The server was extremely knowledgeable about every item on the menu as well as the wines. An enjoyable experience all around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/5/2014We went before a show at Great Lakes Theater. It seems as though the waiter slowed down our service as soon as he knew we had a 7:30 pm show. We ordered the pre-fix meal. The tables next to us who were seated after us where served their dessert and got their checks before our dessert arrived. We waited an uncomfortably LONG time between dinner and dessert. We didn't order anything special. Finally, we requested to take our dessert 'to go'. Additionally, they refused our Cleveland Independents discount deck card. I was using the 'return visit'/joker card. I already used the Cowell & Hubbard card previously. The manager said they do not participate in the card program. It's only $10 off - how annoying.
- Great foodJaPryDined on 11/5/2014Four of us had four different meals before heading to the theater. Every single meal was beautifully prepared and presented. Everyone in our party was happy to find a new spot to eat before a show. A different two thumbs up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice evening, but...MaryDined on 11/5/2014I would have to say the restaurant was somewhat disappointing. Too dark, odd layout had wait staff bumping into each other. It was awkward. Half of food delivered wasn't hot, but taste was very good and staff was attentive.Special Features:
- Good food, MIXED UP SERVICE.2bmixedupserviceDined on 11/5/2014Disappointed with seating. As the restaurant started to fill with people my seat was facing the table next to me. Very cramped! I watched them eat their whole meal!! Very arkward. My martini wasn't even a full glass, my husband's manhattan was filled to the top!! The waiters kept bringing the wrong food to our table! Not only once but several times!! After our salad they cleared the table of everything! The wonderful bread was gone, not to be returned with our entree!! The manager talked with us regarding the experience but no compensation was given!! An "after dinner drink" on the house would of been nice!! The only good thing was the food!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite eleganceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/4/2014Our pre theater spot. Food is out of the ordinaryfare. Wonderfully presented. The staff is always efficient and friendly. A pleasant way to start "date night".Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and servicePj55Dined on 11/4/2014The food was excellent and all the servers work seamlessly together to insure a great experience. Seating is a little tight, hard to have a private conversation and not hear all of those around you, so I wouldn't call it a romantic settingSpecial Features:
- Bisque DivineMomofMaynardDined on 11/1/2014All of the offerings on the menu are incredible, but the lobster and shrimp bisque was out of this world. For seafood lovers, the spaghetti, which is not your traditional spaghetti, is outstanding. We had the perfect dinner before catching a show at Playhouse Square!Special Features:
- Can't wait to go again...hudsonhildyDined on 10/30/2014Went to Cowell and Hubbard before the theater last week. Time was a factor which was only a problem in that I didn't feel that I had enough time to order more of the interesting menu items. The appetizer of seafood dumplings in a lobster sauce with pickled cabbage was enough for two as a light starter and was superb. The little quenelle like dumplings were very flavorful and tender. The cod was good, but arrived undercooked. It was whisked away and soon brought back cooked perfectly. My friend was very happy with her bouillabaisse. I ordered a "very cold" martini and it was just that, frosty and flecked with ice chips. Oh, and the rustic french bread was really really good. Can't wait to return.Special Features:
- Great happy hour to sample lots!dining5Dined on 10/30/2014Menu itself has so many options for seafood,meat and vegan diners. Love the bread with olive oil. Salmon with quinoa, spinach and ginger broth with soy glaze was outstanding. Happy hour has the vegan stuffed cabbage, salad, fried calamari, fried clam bellies and a nice red wine for $5. Service is friendly and accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.