Cowell & Hubbard
1305 Euclid Ave
Cleveland, OH 44115Neighborhood:
Downtown Cleveland / Playhouse Square
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
Cowell & Hubbard
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://cowellhubbard.com/
- Phone: 2164790555x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday- Wednesday 11am- 10pm
Thursday- Friday 11am- 11pm
Saturday 4pm- 11pm
Sunday 4pm- 8pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Zack Bruell
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Sean McNeil 2164790555x
A word from Cowell & Hubbard
Contemporary French cuisine with Mediterranean and Asian influences.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cowell & Hubbard reviews from OpenTable diners
171 reviews since May 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (102)special occasion (92)notable wine list (51)neighborhood gem (48)romantic (46)good for groups (38)hot spot (27)great for lunch (20)late-night find (17)vibrant bar scene (15)scenic view (7)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Great place for date nightOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014My boyfriend and I just ate here a couple of days ago on Saturday night. Our reservation was at 7:45 and when we arrived the bar scene was very vibrant with a good amount of people. We sat in one of their smaller two person booths which was very cozy. We ordered a malbec blend bottle of wine which was phenomenal when we paired it with the cheese board. We did the smaller cheese board with the choice of three cheeses which was plenty since we also ordered the seafood dumplings as an appetizer as well. The seafood dumplings came in small bowls with a lobster broth that was delicious. My boyfriend ordered the wild boar, and I had the North Atlantic cod which were both phenomenal. The service was outstanding as well as our overall experience!Special Features:
- One of Cleveland's BestDJHomestarDined on 9/20/2014My wife and I discovered Cowell and Hubbard last year, and it's quickly become one of our very favorite places to visit if we're in the Cleveland area. The menu is simply amazing, and the prices are actually very reasonable, considering the quality and presentation of the food. Don't miss out on the Crispy Pork Stack!Special Features:
- MY LAST VISIT FOR A BITMarkDined on 9/19/2014Sadly, I will not be able to visit Cowell and Hubbard till next spring. It would only have taken a relocation to cause me to miss this restaurant during a menu change! I love Cowell and Hubbard and Zack as well. This visit they took very good care of me and my party even when something went awry with the Wild Boar. They promptly replaced the dishes at issue and the evening went on. I will miss seeing Sean McNeil on my visits to Cowell and Hubbard this winter.Special Features:
- Pleasant and SurprisingilovelocalDined on 9/16/2014We had a delightful dining experience including a delicious bottle of Spanish wine. Food was everything that we had heard it to be, from the bread to the wild boar. Staff was outstanding and their recommendations were spot on. Wonderful experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service very good, food not so muchClevefoodDined on 9/13/2014This was my first time at Cowell and Hubbard. My date and I were not seeing a show, but the with the speed of the food and manner in which it was assembled, was clearly made for a quick turnaround for people needing to make a play. We had both our appetizer and salad in 20 minutes. The drinks were very weak, my dirty martini was mostly brine. We had seafood dumplings, which were good, they split the appetizer up front. However, my entree (boar tenderloin with rice) was ice cold. My dates dinner was very good, piping hot, she had braised rabbit with gnocchi. If you want a quick and not too expensive meal before a show, this place is good. However, if you want a moderately-paced nice night out, there are other options in Cleveland.Special Features:
- Not what I expectedMsDMMDined on 9/13/2014Dinner here was a complete letdown for me. It is noisy, understated to the point of looking cheap and the food is mediocre and more trendy than good quality. Even my romaine salad was drowning in bread crumbs and an oily vinagraitte. Two people returned their entrees. A major disappointment I would not repeat.
- fabulous unique foodpicky4foodDined on 9/13/2014I took my daughter here before the theater hoping to impress her and the food definitely did. The crispy pork stack is phenomenal and the rabbit gnocchi special was just outstanding. The menu was very diverse and unique. We had a great meal. The decor is a little dated and the tables are right on top of each other. That combined with a quirky waiter were my only complaints. The food.....awesome!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gourmet dining at it's best!MomofMaynardDined on 9/13/2014Although they were very busy on a Friday night, the staff was wonderful and timely allowing me to get to my show on time. The escargot appetizer was phenomenal and the blackened calamari was to die for. I didn't have room for dessert, but no worries. It was the best meal that I had all week!Special Features:
- MikeVIPDined on 9/13/2014Outstanding service and a menu that offers variety!Special Features:
- Extremely disappointed.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/13/2014The food was overpriced and mediocre at best, lacking any imagination. The decor reminded me of a doctors waiting room. This individual puts his name on too many restaurants to have adequate time to ensure the quality of all of them and that was very apparent during our visit. We will not be returning.
- Excellent Food and ServiceClevelandDinerDined on 9/9/2014Great destination in the Playhouse Theater District. The stuffed cabbage is phenomenal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dark but enjoyabled123wDined on 9/6/2014Yelp categorizes as French but having no ice in your water seemed like the only connection. Very Good service and excellent food. Highly recommend salad with fennel anchovy dressing which has no anchovy taste. Low lighting that didn't seem to brighten as darkness approached. Expect only one side with your Entree.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unremarkable, slow & disappointing2MANYQDined on 9/5/2014This was a special occasion, the restaurant was only half filled and they seated us next to the font door -- which was noisy and distracting. Our Waiter was inept and untrained and disappeared for twenty minutes at a time, more than once. The service was ridiculously slow, so one of the managers sent over a free dessert, but by that time, we were nearly late for the theater -- at 10:00PM ! Overall, the food was good but not remarkable and the advice was a joke.
- C&H for supperCre8tiveDined on 8/29/2014This was our first meal at C & H. Food was a bit hit or miss - the house cocktails were great, the heirloom tomato salad was drenched in dressing and the single tomato wasn't as flavorful as the heirlooms out of my garden, the hanger steak & fries were good, but nothing spectacular, the scallop entree was excellent; of the deserts the truffles were fair, but the baked apple was great. The two glasses of wine were a splurge, but the markup prevented us from having another glass (or getting a bottle). Our waitress was excellent, but the young man that brought the bread and filled the water glasses could use some additional schooling in service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- enjoyeating outOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014Food was delicious, service was top notch, all in all was a very pleasurable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too bad food did not match serviceTeriTravelsDined on 8/16/2014The wait staff was attentive to our every need from the beginning to the end of the meal. Some of the best service we have received of late. However, we ordered the Atlantic cod and Braised beef upon recommendation from the waiter and both entrees were a total disappointment. The fish had the extremely fishy taste of a very cheap piece of frozen seafood. The beef dish (including the broccollini and starch) was swimming in a brown water like liquid that made most of the meal inedible. Our appetizer (pork stack) was great and we enjoyed the cocktails. Would not waste our money on entrees here again.Special Features:
- Great Dining Experience2ForEatsDined on 8/16/2014We went there prior to the show at the State Theatre. The food and service was excellent. The staff was very attentive to our needs. Would definitely go back again.Special Features:
- Unique but HeavylizayvizayDined on 8/16/2014I really enjoyed all of the food here and the dishes definitely had a unique twist that differed from other restaurants but was consistent throughout Cowell & Hubbard's menu. The dishes were delicious but definitely on the heavy side. If you were looking for a light meal perhaps share courses?Special Features:
- Interesting menu, Good FoodEMSinCLEDined on 8/15/2014An interesting variety of salads, sandwiches and entrees, and a unique house drink menu. Good service, and a good spot for a nice lunch in the heart of the theatre district.Special Features:
- Urban vibeCamsDined on 8/9/2014Impressive knowledgable server, great food, love this place. Chef Jeff Thomas knocks it out of the park!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent meal/serviceSherrieDined on 8/9/2014We enjoyed our dining experience at Cowell & Hubbard. Our drinks, meals & service were excellent. We enjoyed sitting at the window & observing the activity on Euclid Ave.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, tasty experienceJamesDined on 8/7/2014Great service - quick and efficient. The waitress was very friendly. Food tasted good and was presented nicely. I would probably return for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Wonderful!MuskaDined on 8/5/2014Food was stellar as well as service. We had an absolutely amazing time!Special Features:
- Among the BestBReedOSUDined on 8/3/2014Being foodie wannabees, my wife rated Sunday's Pasta Du Jour as one of her top three meals ever...and I concur. Overall fantastic experience for us!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- vegan and morechilibeanDined on 8/2/2014Love that they had specific vegan entrees. I did also try the mushroom ravioli in pea broth with poached egg. Simply the best ever!(not vegan). My husband had the escargot and proclaimed them the best he's ever had. We had amazing service and food.Special Features:
- DisappointingWandarerVIPDined on 8/1/2014I picked this restaurant because it was part of a group owned by a James Beard nominated chef. Nothing was horrible, but it was in no way anywhere close to what a Jamed Beard experience should be. The beef dish was drowning in olive oil and the gazpacho was inedible. Once my father-in-law told our server that his pasta was too salty, the service became almost non-existent.
- Excellent Dining Experience!TheresaDined on 7/27/2014We were interested in dining close to the Ohio theater last weekend. On my sister's recommendation, we tried Cowell & Hubbard. Everything from the greeting we received, to the staff's attention, to the food and drinks, was fabulous! I am looking forward to my next visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Convenient- not goodljpentDined on 7/26/2014Food not cooked, tables squashed, drink orders missed. Not terribly expensive, but not terribly good.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/26/2014Awesome meal and service was superb. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- KPLNeighborVIPDined on 7/25/2014Appetizer of mushroom pirogi rocked ... Hangar steak salad was so - so... Ordered steak medium; it was rare ... Waitress saw the blue/rare meat I left on the plate ( greens we're nice) and clearly chose to ignore. She immediately brought my bill w/o asking if I'd like coffee or dessert ( I would have liked dessert) ... For a slow lunchtime crowd service was incredibly subpar - and this sort of place should know the difference between rare and medium...
- PretheaterHausfrauDined on 7/24/2014We had a great pretheater dinner here on 7/24. Both loved the seafood dumpling appetizer, the lobster sauce was wonderful. The meal was consistently excellent through all 3 courses, which seems to be rare these days. Service was very attentive, but the place was pretty quiet on a Thursday evening. I suspect it could be noisy/hectic on the weekend.Special Features:
- jamesDined on 7/20/2014One of Cleveland's best chefs and one of Cleveland's best restaurantsSpecial Features:
- Fabulous dining experiencejschrickelDined on 7/19/2014My husband and I went here for the first time for dinner to celebrate his birthday on Saturday. We had the pork stack for an app, I had the Cod and he had the bison tenderloin. All were exceptional! We finished dinner with the blonde from the dessert menu and that was delicious. as always His resturants are too notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food - Phenominal/Service - So-SoOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/18/2014We had a wonderful time at C&H! The food was so delicious!! We did get our salad before our wine got to the table. Not sure why it took so long to get the wine, but we eventually got it. Good place to go after a Playhouse Square event.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TreadwellVIPDined on 7/18/2014We love Cowell but they were not prepared for the after dinner rush for Seinfeld. I had to go get our drinks after they hadn't arrived for over 20 mins. Even after this, the service continued to be terrible all night. Very unusual but disappointing as we had brought friends who hadn't been before.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Casual dinner or pre-theater fixptpatersonDined on 7/18/2014I have been to Cowell and Hubbard several times now for several occasions. Whether it was with a large group before a show at Playhouse Square or for casual dinner with just my Wife, the food and service was great. Price is good for the quality. Their one fault is the bread that's served ahead of the meal. It's a nice hearty crusty bread, but by the time they serve it has become soft and chewy. I still eat a bunch of it though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Convenient Pre-Theater DiningCurley888VIPDined on 7/18/2014Decent menu, not a huge variety, but enough. Expected a few more specials, but really only one for each category. Acceptable portions, creative menu, food very well prepared and arrive on time and piping hot. They have gluten free bread available and were very flexible in adapting the menu and changing side items to make the meal gluten free. The only complaint was the slow arrival of our drinks, waiting 10-15 minutes for each drink was a bit too much. Not entirely sure if it was our server or the bar's responsibility, as drinks arrived from both. My husband commented that with the mark up on alcohol, they are missing an opportunity. His second beer arrived just before dessert. Valet, walk to theater a few buildings away.Special Features:
- First Time at Cowell & HubbardDeliciousDined on 7/17/2014I thoroughly enjoyed my dinner selection, North Atlantic Cod. After reading many reviews on the restaurant, this particular choice kept getting recommended. I figured it had to be good and it was. Beautiful presentation, tasty grains/asparagus and cod/with sauce. Adequate portion. I accompanied it with a salad that was "okay". My husband had difficulty selecting a dinner choice because he likes more traditional dinner choices and the chef is very creative and selects unusual ingredients.
- Fantastic!ScottswoopsDined on 7/16/2014We had dinner following a show at The Playhouse. The service was wonderful, the food was spectacular!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great Zack Bruell Restaurant!FormerClevelanderDined on 7/15/2014We live in AZ, but used to live in Cleveland and know Zack Bruell's reputation for excellence. His newest restaurant did not disappoint us. From the greeting - prompt and friendly, to the wait staff - she was was friendly, courteous, helpful (suggested a fine wine for my wife), to the food everything was first class. We shared a mushroom-stuffed raviolis with Parmesan in chicken broth appetizer which was wonderful. My wife's scallops were done just right - not too tough, not undercooked. My hanger steak was prepared as ordered, and my pommes frites were perfect. We shared a moulton chocolate dessert with vanilla ice cream and wish we had room for a second. We're looking forward to a return visit.Special Features: