Cowell & Hubbard
1305 Euclid Ave
Cleveland, OH 44115Neighborhood:
Downtown Cleveland / Playhouse Square
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
Cowell & Hubbard
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://cowellhubbard.com/
- Phone: 2164790555x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday- Wednesday 11am- 10pm
Thursday- Friday 11am- 11pm
Saturday 4pm- 11pm
Sunday 4pm- 8pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French
- Executive Chef: Zack Bruell
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Contact: Sean McNeil 2164790555x
A word from Cowell & Hubbard
Contemporary French cuisine with Mediterranean and Asian influences.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Cowell & Hubbard - Best Restaurants in Downtown Cleveland / Playhouse Square ›
Cowell & Hubbard reviews from OpenTable diners
228 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (154)special occasion (121)hot spot (65)neighborhood gem (63)notable wine list (62)romantic (59)good for groups (51)vibrant bar scene (31)great for lunch (24)late-night find (21)scenic view (8)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- I liked it!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/21/2014It was close to the theater and quick service (granted, it was on a Tuesday night). The staff was very attentive and nice. They knew the menu and made good recommendations. I even liked that they were ok with us staying a bit longer as we waited for the show to start. Very cool. Probably be back in a couple weeks for another show.Special Features:
- Enjoyed Every MinutefoodloverforsureDined on 10/19/2014My boyfriend just got here a couple days ago frim France. (He's here for a visit). He said he wanted to take me out, I didn't know where to go so I went online looking at some reviews about thing2 to do in the city. I came across Cowell and Hubbard. It said it was a French inspired restaurant with Asian influence. I was okay with that so I made reservations with Open table. Making the reservation was easy. And I told them about my boyfriend in the comments section. We arrived a little late and they didn't give our table away. They sat us in the front so we had a great view. The waitress was really nice. She thanked us for coming, as well as welcomed him here. She answered every question we asked. Our food and dessert was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great near-theatre gemlez1Dined on 10/19/2014Staff is very conscientious if you are dining before a performance. Enjoyed my experience, plenty to see and- loved having the TV since I was dining alone.Special Features:
- great food.awolDined on 10/18/2014The food was great. The service was almost too good, wanted to clear our plates before we were done eating! The atmosphere could be better. All in all it was a great meal. Will go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Off Night?Seamas45Dined on 10/18/2014Sometimes a restuarant has an off night...in as many times as I have eaten at one of Zach's restuarants (twice this week) this was an off night for them. The highlight of the night was the blackened calamari salad. It's a must!Special Features:
- Fit for FoodiesBonjourDined on 10/18/2014We sat close to the front door so there was a constant stream of cold air. It was not a friendly environment at all. We ordered the cheese block and was given three small hunks of cheese without any presentation, meh. The dinners were good, not exceptional or bad, but nothing that would have drawn us back. It was set more for foodies and not for someone who just wants to have an enjoyable meal and learn. They seemed surprised that we asked so many questions about the food.Special Features:
- Always a treat!BetteBoopDined on 10/18/2014Zach Bruell's restaurants never disappoint and Cowell and Hubbard is one of our favorites in downtown Cleveland. The service and food are excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service Lacking on FloorOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/18/2014We dined before a show, made reservations at 5:30 for an 8:00 show, figured it was plenty of time- not so. Our waitress was nice enough but the food was incredibly slow coming out - salads took forever, main courses even longer. Food was excellent.Special Features:
- Needs a revampOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/18/2014We've been to Cowell and Hubbard several times and it seems to be going downhill. They deserve points for trying to accommodate vegans, but serving a portabella mushroom as an entrée is extremely unoriginal. And charging $18 for it is outrageous. A julienne salad of apple, carrot and radish was a good idea, but overloaded with blue cheese and too salty. The service was robotic and intrusive. We were squeezed into a booth with barely enough room to get in and out, and the servers could not reach our plates; they had to ask us to hand everything over. The restaurant needs to take a long look at what it is offering for the money.Special Features:
- Always a pleasureBirthdaydinnerDined on 10/16/2014Accommodated my party for last minute changes, much appreciated. Usually avoid hanger steak because it is tough. Not so, very tender and tasty, would recommend. The escargot was prepared differently, jury still out, may have to try again to decide.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedCharCVIPDined on 10/16/2014We had never dined at this restaurant and we were so looking forward to the experience. The tables are close together so you do not have the feeling of intimate dining. The wine is very over priced. The menu has a nice selection from fish to chicken to steaks and some more creative dishes. We were there before going to the theatre, ordered our meal, and within minutes the meal arrived. There was no time to sit and enjoy our wine and bread. The portions were ample but the feeling of being rushed was there. For the price of the meal, we should not have felt rushed.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dinner before showSullyhrDined on 10/14/2014Service is beyond great. The training these servers must receive. Funny that it sticks in my head that the server didn't ask, "Are you done with that?", but rather "Are you still enjoying your salad?" Try the beef stack app. Risotto stack with beef and spinach. A nice kick is given fron both ginger and hot sauce in the risotto. Very nice. Not inexpensive, $88.00 for two with one shared app, 1 entree, 1 app and salad as entree, 1 soda, and 1 glass of wine, inc. tip. No problem getting to 8:00 show with a 6:30 reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumYumBumDined on 10/14/2014My sister and I dined prior to a show. We both had the Thai Squash Soup.... this may be the BEST soup I have EVER tasted!!! (The rest of the meal was delicious as well)Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/12/2014Even though I aasked for a quiet booth for 4, we were placed directly across from the kitchen and service area for waiters. Very noisy. Food was good; squash soup excellent. They were training wait staff so service was a bit slow/disorganized but overall an excellent meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great before a showOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014Went here before a show at Playhouse. The restaurant was quite crowded but the service was excellent. Drinks and food came quickly so we had plenty of time to make the show. Food was excellent, staff very friendly and attentive.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/11/2014A great pre-theater dining spot.We come several times a year and are never disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently Terrific!StephenOHVIPDined on 10/10/2014Another great dinner at Cowell & Hubbard. Zach Bruell was on the line, checking each plate as it came out; that kind of hands-on attention is why he's so successful and why everything looks wonderful. The menu is constantly updated, and the choices are interesting and varied. All four of us loved our meals; the quinoa salad was fresh and tasty. The chicken liver entree was outstanding--crisp, fresh and cooked perfectly. The tables are tight, so it's not the place for quiet conversation, but the energy level is part of the charm. They do a wonderful job getting everyone out before the theater curtain, but there's no feeling of being rushed. However, unlike some of its neighbors, Cowell&Hubbard is a wonderful anytime dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmandamzamiskaDined on 10/10/2014Our server Amanda provided a wonderful experience for our dining party. She offered great recommendations for food and wine.Special Features:
- Excellent FoodlittledardooDined on 10/10/2014First time dining at this playhouse square area restaurant. Great experience! Food was excellent and service was fantastic, fast and friendly. A little pricy but worth the dollars spent for a nice evening out before the show. Glad I reviewed the menu online before hand because it was hard to read due to the low lighting. Seating was a little cramped and noise level was high in the room we were seated. Not a atmosphere for me for a romantic evening or just simple dinner conversation. Will I dine again? Yes, the food was worth a return trip.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/10/2014Atmosphere was a little stark, food was very good; different however the portions were small. Due to being located near theatre? People not wanting too full stomachs during the show?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome Service/Disappointing FoodDaiyneyDined on 10/10/2014My co-workers and I wanted to some place new for lunch. We decided to give Cowell & Hubbard a try since we heard that it was a Zack Bruell restaurant and all of his others that we had eaten at were great! The hostess was very friendly and accomodating but when we arrived it was very empty and I wondered why there weren't more people there for lunch. The decor nice and not overly formal. Our waiter was very attentive and helpful and given his description of my lunch selection, I felt that I was in for a superb meal but I felt extremely let down. I ordered the Pork stack and it was very bland and not as flavorful as he described. Everyone else said that their meals were just ok. If I came again I would order a different dish.Special Features:
- willnotgoagainwillnotgoagainDined on 10/9/2014We have dined at this restaurant three times and have yet to get a completely satisfying meal.There is always at least one part of the meal that is unsatisfactory.This time it was the chicken liver.They were so thickly coated that I had a hard time finding and tasting the liver.
- Cowell & Hubbard 10/9/14ElihuDined on 10/9/2014We ordered cocktails and told our waitress (Loretta) that we wanted to relax and enjoy them for a few minutes. Nevertheless, when she brought the drinks, she practically insisted that we order our dinner then and there, saying "they were going to be busy". (Through the course of our dinner, this did not seem to be the case.) Since our last visit to C & H they changed the menu, and managed to drop my two favorite entrees. I decided on the beef shoulder, which was a mistake. It was totally bland, virtually tasteless. It reminded me of when I dined with my parents at their retirement community. Our previous experiences at C & H have been very good, so we shall probably return some day, although not real soon. In short, it was not good.Special Features:
- Cowbell and Hubbard always deliversLiberteDined on 10/9/2014. . . Exceptional food, exquisite presentation, and outstanding service. A top choice for pre-theater dining.Special Features:
- Perfect Location Pre-TheaterRobertDined on 10/8/2014Cowell and Hubbard is in a perfect location for those interested in a good meal before seeing a show at Playhouse Square. We dined here on 10/8/14 prior to attending Motown - The Musical. All 4 of us thoroughly enjoyed our meals. The selection was excellent and included choices for foodies, vegans, and those wanting more tradional fare. Lots of seafood and beef options as well. Service was very good and our server was very knowledgeable about the menu. Prices reasonable as well (Entrees $18 - $25). We will definitely be back.Special Features:
- Great dinner date before a showpianoguyDined on 10/8/2014My friend and I had a wonderful time and we were both surprised how quickly our dinners were served. We both had seafood and the dishes were perfect. Get for dinner and a drink before catching a show -- and the waiter made sure we would be served in time to make it to our program.Special Features:
- Perfect EveningIsabella17Dined on 10/8/2014We just love dining at Cowell & Hubbard before going to the theater!! The new menu was creative and delicious.....but if you have dietary needs or want a dish that is not on the menu they are happy to please you. The service is excellent and they make sure that you are right on time for curtain call....such a perfect evening indeed!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- If you're not going to the theaterOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/7/2014Cowell & Hubbard caters primarily to the theater crowd as it is in the middle of Playhouse Square. But if you're not going to the theater, you might want to wait until 7:30. The place is packed and noisy before then - though not prohibitively so - and clears out for a very intimate experience. The food is superb - excellent for all dietary restrictions, fresh and creative. I can't recommend highly enough.Special Features:
- Great eveninglrubeDined on 10/7/2014Cowbell and Hubbard provided a great meal with excellent service. We were a party of four, attending the theatre, and enjoyed a dinner that was not rushed with very good food. I would recommend this restaurant as a Playhouse Square gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dining before theaterjeep1Dined on 10/7/2014Great food and great location for dinner before a show. We enjoyed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but service slowGranbe1088Dined on 10/7/2014I went here with a couple clients for lunch this week. While the food was good, it took nearly 35 minutes for our food to come. For lunch, that's just too long to wait.Special Features:
- Great serviceMeyerDined on 10/5/2014My meal was great but, the service was exemplary. Very accommodating to three ladies dining out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TubsytwinDined on 10/5/2014Service was fair. It took @ least 10 mins until we were acknowledged. Then 10 more to get water. It was better after that.Special Features:
- great before the theatrefavnumber1Dined on 10/5/2014love this restaurant and only complaint is the bread; so crust & hard to eat; wish they had a better quality of softer bread for dipping. Loved my Portobello dinner..Husband loved his hangar steak.Special Features:
- First Time DinersKenSinDined on 10/5/2014Food was excellent, service was very good, but noise level was a little to loud (like you were in an empty room) & the décor reminded us of a cafeteria style seating(chairs were of very poor quality). Cowell & Hubbard could seriously use a remodel using a professional interior decorator.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Cleveland gem then and Now!2shoesVIPDined on 10/4/2014Grew up knowing Cowell and Hubbard as a quality store and what better name for this great Z restarant. Fabulous menu where no one can't find something to love! From Fois Gras to burgers to fish to pizza. Each one being outstanding. From gourmet to comfort food this is a must check out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- kayveeVIPDined on 10/4/2014Everything was fine. Not great, just fine. Service was surprisingly slow, given that server knew we were headed to the theatre. We ended up being very rushed by the end. We were put in the back room with other theatre-goers headed to Motown the Musical -- and we were BLASTED with the music -- while it was a nice gesture intended (I think) to get us in the mood, it really just ended up being too noisy. Over all an OK dinner, convenient location for Playhouse Square, but wouldn't be worth going otherwise.
- ecletic menuLAM1519Dined on 10/4/2014I think you need to have an open mind when you come here! They have some different things on the menu. Their pizza is very good! We love their bread!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First TimeAJSPKSVIPDined on 10/3/2014We just moved to town and wanted a great meal after a day of unpacking. The experience exceeded our expectations and this will be a regular place for us.Special Features:
- TripleDDined on 10/3/2014Cowell & Hubbard is right in the heart of the Cleveland theater district. Upon greeting our table the server asked us if we had a show to be at. Service was prompt. The food was delectable.Special Features: