7133 East Stetson Drive
Scottsdale, AZ 85251Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cowboyciao.com/
- Phone: 4809463111x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 2:30pm (Sundays include Brunch dishes & cocktails!). Dinner: Seven Days a Week: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southwest, Wine Bar, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Lester Gonzalez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: While we don't offer off-site catering, we do welcome groups of all sizes. Please see our Private Dining info!
- Entertainment: Not here, but at our wine bar Kazimierz, yes...every night of the week! Just a two-minute walk right next door!
- Special Events: Join us for our monthly Sommelier Showdowns, featuring a guest sommelier in a battle of the palates with owner/wino Peter Kasperski. 5 courses, 10 wines. A steal at $50++! Reserve by phone only: 480-WINE-111
- Cross Street: 6th Avenue, just South of Cameback
- Public Transit: The Downtown Scottsdale Trolley is a free service which runs all day and makes frequent stops throughout all the downtown neighborhoods, as well as several Scottsdale and Paradise Valley resorts
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: You may find street parking on either Stetson Drive or 6th Avenue (in front of and adjacent to the restaurant, respectively). Valet parking is available ($5) in the parking lot directly behind restaurant (enter from Scottsdale Rd, left at 2nd driveway). There are free public parking garages directly across the street at SouthBridge, as well as one at 3rd Ave. & Craftsman Court (5 minute walk).
A word from Cowboy Ciao
Ask a local where to find unique food & wines in a fun, unpretentious setting and there's a good chance Cowboy Ciao will be near the top of the list. And why not? Bold flavors, a massive wine list, whimsical decor and friendly, personalized service are a few of the reasons to love this small, independent hot spot. Try the legendary Stetson Chopped Salad or Exotic Mushroom Pan Fry with a Bay To Breakers, your favorite syrah, or a bargain bottle of malbec from South America. Save room for pastry chef Country Velador's memorable desserts! Lunch & dinner daily, Sunday Brunch dishes. A Valley favorite since 1997, this Modern American eatery has two siblings literally next door -- FnB (seasonal, local, often organic & sustainable, all-Arizona wine list); Kazimierz World Wine Bar (wines galore, global grazing, live entertainment every night of the week).Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cowboy Ciao reviews from OpenTable diners
94 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (59)special occasion (40)notable wine list (40)neighborhood gem (29)romantic (28)good for groups (20)great for lunch (16)hot spot (14)great for brunch (10)vibrant bar scene (10)late-night find (4)scenic view (3)great for outdoor dining (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Great experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/12/2014Cowboy Ciao has an almost unequaled wine list, or rather book, that is also fun to read as it is filled with customer quotes. The Stetson salad is always the best place to start. The service was also refreshingly warm, engaging and with the right amount of attention. Very nice experience overall.Special Features:
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/12/2014We went there for my friend's birthday. Overall the experience was wonderful. Even though it was a bit more expensive than we originally anticipated, the food was well worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ciao Chopped SaladCTappsDined on 9/12/2014We come here for the Cowboy Ciao chopped salad and the corn nut crusted scallops. The service is great and our waiter new that we wanted to try a good French Pinot and he did find one for us that wasn't to pricey.Special Features:
- DisappointingeatsalotDined on 9/6/2014In the past we really enjoyed the food. This time the only item we enjoyed was the signature saled.
- EnjoyableRikkiDined on 9/3/2014We enjoyed the food and the ambience and will come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceiliketoeatVIPDined on 9/1/2014I had been to this restaurant many years ago and was thrilled to be able to share it with my husband. Menu is eclectic and wine list is extensive. We started with a mixed mushroom appetizer (you can also get an entrée size portion) it was like a mushroom ragu and it was served over polenta. My husband had braised pork dish that fell off the bone and I had a skirt steak. We split desert: a chocolate and peanut butter sweet goodness with a side of banana ice cream. The only thing we ran into that was disappointing was that we selected a 2009 vintage wine but we were brought a 2010. The waiter absolutely pointed this out but I asked if there was a price difference (expecting the 2010 to be less) I was told there wasn't.Special Features:
- Not tastyBarbara3123Dined on 8/23/2014We started with a lukewarm appetizer of mushrooms. Although we should have sent it back to be heated, we didn't. We had the lox salad for dinner, which was just fair. However, we had the peanut butter dessert, which was delicious. We will not return. It was too noisy for us but we are all over 65. Maybe that makes a difference. A young crowd might enjoy it more than we did.
- GrazersOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/20/2014We shared 6 items off the Grazing menu for our dinner. It was the perfect way to get a taste of several dishes. They were all delicious and very satisfying for this foodie girl. My favorite was the scallops hands down. Enjoy!Special Features:
- Airport location is better!goodoverallDined on 8/16/2014We have had the luxury of eating at the airport location a few times within the year and finally had a chance to go to this location. We were not impressed. The wine list is huge but unorganized. No sections, dividers or tabs. The food wasnt as impressive as the airport location either. Looking at booking airline tickets just to get into that location....Special Features:
- Ciaoing downLifeisgoodDined on 8/15/2014Great food and consistent service. Always an enjoyable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mikesDined on 8/6/2014We dined at Cowboy Ciao approximately ten years ago and still remembered their signature salad which was and continues to be "FANTASTIC". Since that time we have often recommended this establishment to both family members and friends. They too have always had the same wonderful dinning experience we have had. We made it a specific point to dine there again this past Wednesday before catching our flight back home to Philadelphia. Cowboy Ciao you are great and we can't wait to return. Thank you,Special Features:
- Absolutely PerfectOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/28/2014Went here for my 14th wedding anniversary...not our first visit, but still a great, intimate setting with attentive staff, a great wine list and impeccably prepared food.Special Features:
- We were a party of 4...BetsydDined on 7/26/2014From drinks to desserts, we all had superb food, and our waiter was excellent. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's a special occasionDoniamhVIPDined on 7/26/2014If it's a special occasion, I'm at Cowboy Ciao. The food never disappoints. Stetson chopped is a must. I am normally a single diner but never feel like that makes me less than a patron at this restaurant. Service is great. Never disappoints.Special Features:
- Always interesting foodPassinbyVIPDined on 7/26/2014It's a lot quieter in the summer's heat, but the wait staff is friendly and attentive and we love eating our favorites- like chopped salad, and trying new items, like Mule An cocktail. Small plates area excellent and mix and match eating a lot of fun.Special Features:
- Great food, service and attitudeHeatherDined on 7/12/2014We made a note in our reservation that we were on heart healthy diets. When we arrived, we were greeted warmly and were told that the chef and our server were both ready to help us and looking forward to our visit. Our server reassured us all we needed to do was pick our proteins off the menu, and the chef would customize dinners for us. Sweet Hubby ended up with salmon over arugula with baby heirloom tomatoes, orzo, and avocado slices. My dish was swordfish over roasted baby potatoes and steamed cauliflower, all seasoned without salt. Both of our plates were delicious and we appreciated the welcoming environment. We've been to Cowboy Ciao for Sunday brunch (before our diet started) and this was our first time coming here for dinner.Special Features:
- Wonderful quiet lunchkewllewkDined on 7/10/2014Besides the chopped salad, which is awesome, the menu offers a multitude of other savory dishes. But, don't forget about the dessert menu. It deserves as much attention as it is locally made. The ice cream list is also extensive with some wonderful flavor combinations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT¡ SERVER AND FOODJAMIEDined on 7/5/2014BEST CHEESE PLATE I HAVE EVER HAD. WE LOVED WATCHING THE PEOPLE ON THE STREET ALSO.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved Cowboy CiaoOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/2/2014The food was excellent. Highly recommend the Stetson chopped salad and pan fried mushrooms? Yum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You'll be pleased at this placeYacht41VIPDined on 6/25/2014The menu is unusual, but the food is good as is the service. The menu is a different "spin" on a number of common restaurant selections. For example, short ribs are actually pastrami short ribs - tasty and spicy. Casual ambiance with attentive service. Great local restaurant.Special Features:
- IncrediblechopsaladloveDined on 6/21/2014Seriously the one of the Valleys BEST kept secrets. I cannot wait to return.....Special Features:
- Visiting ScottsdaleTechieboomDined on 6/20/2014Very friendly staff. We were there for dinner reservation Friday night 6/20/14. Staff was very friendly. Food was great. The salad we ordered was outstanding! It's the one with smoked salmon and arugula. It was delicious it should be under dessert. Although the dessert menu looks very enticing, we didn't have any room for it. But, we end up going back the following night for dessert. We didn't have any reservation but the host was kind enought to sit us in the bar. The bar attendant and the host was very attentive and made us felt welcome. The dessert didn't disappoint. My experience with Comboy Ciao made my quick getaway (first) visit to Scottsdale Arizona a memorable one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 10th Anniversary Fun!NotmyvalentineDined on 6/19/2014This was a return trip to Ciao for us. Celebrating our 10th Anniversary. Great food. Not crowded. Amazing wine list. Fun bonus shot I can pronounce or spell.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Three Times The CharmAletheaVIPDined on 6/18/2014The food is so good that I have been in for dinner three times in five days! Love the Chopped Salad, and the Short Ribs!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodSueMVIPDined on 6/16/2014We have been to Cowboy Ciao several times and will be back again. We enjoy the atmosphere, food and service. We have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little piece of heavenRegularFoodieWineLoverDined on 6/16/2014I love Cowboy Ciao! It has such a great long bar and I have come here many times for a Stetson Chopped Salad and glass or two of wine. The service is always amazing and the food is incredible. I came here for lunch with a colleague who had never been and he absolutely loved it. Our server was attentive, kept our Ice T's and waters refilled, checked in occasionally and of course our salads were to die for! I tell everyone I meet to try Cowboy Ciao. It is one of those restaurants you will never forget.Special Features:
- ArtemisDined on 6/11/2014Fun, funky place with a good energy. Menu has a unique flare to take you away from the standard doldrum. Chopped salad had incredible flavors. Simply yummy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a "Must-Do" in Scottsdale!ScottsdaleDinerDined on 6/10/2014If you want a taste of Scottsdale and the Southwest with class, this is the place to go! Great food, excellent service and an interesting and fun wine list. I make it a point to bring business associates and friends here when they visit. No one has been disappointed! This visit was a dinner before a James Taylor concert with my wife and a good friend from the east coast. It was a great start to the evening! Make it a point to get the Stetson Salad, even if you share one between 2 or 3 people. And don't change it up! It is perfect!Special Features:
- It's just okpppkkkkVIPDined on 6/7/2014If you require attentive or friendly service, this is not the place. The food, however, is amazing and has a beautiful presentation. Extremely-limited wine listSpecial Features:
- Okay food, BAD serviceRoseAVIPDined on 6/7/2014Had high expectations based on Open Table and Yelp reviews. Food was okay. Service was HORRIFIC, from the snobby hostess, to the unfriendly bartender to the SURLY waitress.
- CherlynCTappsDined on 5/31/2014This is our favorite restaurant. The Stetson Salad is a must. Great wine list and more.Special Features:
- See my Email sent 5-25-14OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/24/2014Below average table, incredibly loud (perhaps the loudest dining experience I can recall) and after an hour we had to ask the waitress where my main course was? She made a mistake and forgot it, I get it......but blamed the chef and said that he was backed up. By now i was ready to just leave the place so I told her to box it up and I will take it home. I get to work the next day and my wife had packed this pork chop up for me for lunch. I cut it open (after warming it up in microwave mind you......) and the chop is raw pink inside. I sent an email and attached pictures of the chop. What a disappointment, it was our 14th wedding anniversary and we could have gone anywhere, but chose Ciao. Won't do that again.Special Features:
- Old town gemOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/24/2014Had a very pleasant dining experience. They had some very interesting cocktails which definitely piqued our interest. We were not disappointed. The food was very well prepared and delicious. The scallops were tender, melt in your mouth delicious. The steak was done perfectly. Service was top notch and sitting at a table for two by the large window overlooking the hustle and bustle of the area was very entertaining. Would recommend and would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Good but not greatluvgoodfoodDined on 5/23/2014We had the tasting menu and an additional salad to share. Most of the meal was very good, though there was lack of attention to detail, such as not making sure some items were cold instead of luke warm. Things like this. The food was well seasoned and the corn cuoscous that came with the scallop dish was fantastic. The huge letdown was the bread pudding. Neither that or the other option - a peanut bar - sounded that good. I took one bite of it and stopped. It was disgusting. All in all, a mediocre meal considering the price.Special Features:
- Great Restaurant Week PicLGeorgeDined on 5/23/2014We carefully scanned the menus for numerous restaurant week participants and really liked the offering at Cowboy Ciao; and we so enjoyed our meal. The scallop appetizer was flavorful and cooked to perfection. The fried green tomatoes were yummy comfort food with a fresh twist; and the lamb chop lollipops were just right. If you're a lamb lover, these are not to be missed. Both of the desserts got a thumbs up from us. Many thanks for an enjoyable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nanberk1dinenanberk1dineDined on 5/23/2014Restaurant week menus were disappointing--several choices had to be eliminated because of nut allergy. Lamb was my first choice for main course, but had pesto marinate. Sword fish was disappointing with fillet sliced too thin. Also, one dessert that didn't have nuts, the bread pudding, was tasteless to both. Appetizers (scallops and seared tuna) were good. My husband's pork tenderloin was best choice at table. Our bottle of wine was excellent. In general noise level is loud for our taste. Our server was quite good, but he got busy serving other larger tables. All staff were quite pleasant and tried to please.Special Features:
- BDDADined on 5/23/2014Was hoping for a special dining experience. Our service was excellent, and the server extremely pleasant and knowledgeable about any questions we had, and very accommodating. However, food was not up to my expectations My lamb was tough and gristly. All in all we had a fun evening, but I would choose another restaurant in that area,where there seems to be a lot going on.Special Features:
- Rest. WeekFreezingDined on 5/21/2014The food was good. Not the biggest fan of the acorn squash mash that came with the pork, but the pork itself was good and rly tender. The bread pudding dessert was delicious. The ambience would have gotten another star if it wasn't so freezing inside. It was almost unwelcoming and the A/C was right above our table blasting directly on the food. So while I like to take my time to eat, my food began to get colder and colder. Not like how normal dish does (cools down as you dine) but by mid way through my meal it was almost as if someone had put it in the refridgerator...cold pork isn't good. And the bathroom was even colder! Also, the time between meals was at like 15-16 mins...dessert was about 20. Took about 15 mins. to receive wine also.Special Features:
- VhartnDined on 5/21/2014Best food I have eaten in forever! Loved the salad. Was thrilled to find a small restaurant at the airport so treated myself to another! Would definitely return next time I am in Phoenix. I need you to open one in St Louis!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great flavorsm1000Dined on 5/21/2014We dined for restaurant week on a Wednesday. We arrived early and had a drink at the bar. The bartender was very helpful picking out wine and gave us his top picks. We were seated and began our 3 course meal. The scallops and seared tuna were delicious as were our entrees. We had the peanut butter dessert as well as the bread pudding. The only downside was that we were seated at 6 and we didn't finish our meal until 7:55. It took an inordinate amount of time to get our entrees. Is this the standard?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 1088 reviews are from the Cowboy Ciao reviews archive.