7133 East Stetson Drive
Scottsdale, AZ 85251Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cowboyciao.com/
- Phone: 4809463111x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 11:30am - 2:30pm (Sundays include Brunch dishes & cocktails!). Dinner: Seven Days a Week: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southwest, Wine Bar, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Lester Gonzalez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: While we don't offer off-site catering, we do welcome groups of all sizes. Please see our Private Dining info!
- Entertainment: Not here, but at our wine bar Kazimierz, yes...every night of the week! Just a two-minute walk right next door!
- Special Events: Join us for our monthly Sommelier Showdowns, featuring a guest sommelier in a battle of the palates with owner/wino Peter Kasperski. 5 courses, 10 wines. A steal at $50++! Reserve by phone only: 480-WINE-111
- Cross Street: 6th Avenue, just South of Cameback
- Public Transit: The Downtown Scottsdale Trolley is a free service which runs all day and makes frequent stops throughout all the downtown neighborhoods, as well as several Scottsdale and Paradise Valley resorts
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: You may find street parking on either Stetson Drive or 6th Avenue (in front of and adjacent to the restaurant, respectively). Valet parking is available ($5) in the parking lot directly behind restaurant (enter from Scottsdale Rd, left at 2nd driveway). There are free public parking garages directly across the street at SouthBridge, as well as one at 3rd Ave. & Craftsman Court (5 minute walk).
A word from Cowboy Ciao
Ask a local where to find unique food & wines in a fun, unpretentious setting and there's a good chance Cowboy Ciao will be near the top of the list. And why not? Bold flavors, a massive wine list, whimsical decor and friendly, personalized service are a few of the reasons to love this small, independent hot spot. Try the legendary Stetson Chopped Salad or Exotic Mushroom Pan Fry with a Bay To Breakers, your favorite syrah, or a bargain bottle of malbec from South America. Save room for pastry chef Country Velador's memorable desserts! Lunch & dinner daily, Sunday Brunch dishes. A Valley favorite since 1997, this Modern American eatery has two siblings literally next door -- FnB (seasonal, local, often organic & sustainable, all-Arizona wine list); Kazimierz World Wine Bar (wines galore, global grazing, live entertainment every night of the week).Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Cowboy Ciao - Best Restaurants in Scottsdale ›
Cowboy Ciao reviews from OpenTable diners
83 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (48)notable wine list (41)special occasion (34)neighborhood gem (25)romantic (19)good for groups (9)hot spot (9)vibrant bar scene (7)great for lunch (6)late-night find (3)great for brunch (3)great for outdoor dining (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Consistent cuisinekyanov1Dined on 10/16/2014One of my favorites that I frequent when in Scottsdale. Eclectic menu, endless wine list and great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YeeeeHAAACHINASMACKDined on 10/11/2014I wish the food was as good as the service. I found it a bit odd the the wine list was 2000 bottles and the food choices were limited. The food was mediocre...while the portions were ample, I would have enjoyed the meal if the quantity was less and the quality greater. I had the mushroom dish and found the variation of mushrooms to be lacking. The sous chef seemed to slather on a rich, extremely thick sauce which was tasty for a few bites but then cloaked the real centerpiece of the dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Here on vacationMargaretDined on 10/11/2014The food was excellent, and, yes, the chopped salad with that dressing was outstanding. Justin was our waiter and he was great! Being from the California Wine Country, and reviewing your extensive wine list (too extensive. Many wines are beyond their time and should be removed.), we were not impressed and very disappointed. It is way TOO long and there is no rhyme or reason to it other than being separated by whites and reds. The white wine I tasted by the glass was old and undrinkable. They need to stay on top of that. This is a popular, happening place, not necessarily a romantic spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A favorite.tkazDined on 10/11/2014We've always loved this place. I felt our server, although great, did not know a lot about the wine or dishes which is uncommon for Cowboy Ciao. However, she DID go find the answer so that was appropriate. Also, the trout was great but honestly not up to par from the past few years. The steak was medium-rare yet came out only seared. I was not as happy as I usually am.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for out of townersSusanCDined on 10/7/2014On those occasions where I have to entertain visiting associates, my first choice is Cowboy Ciao. It has never disappointed them or me. The menu is exciting and different which may not always dictate good food. In this case, the food is not only interesting, but amazingly tasty and fresh. I have always had great service as well. I recommend this restaurant to locals for special occasions and I tell them they must order the Stetson chopped!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT TEAM, GREAT WINEOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/6/2014Had a really good night at Cowboy Ciao. The wine list is quite special, and Rich the manager / sommelier was incredible. Unfortunately somewhere along the line our dinners ended up not being so good. All said Rich and the team really looked after us; you get the feeing this was an unfortunate glitch. We would definitely go back to try Cowboy Ciao food again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Risotto was terribleOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/5/2014I ordered the scallops which were okay but the risotto was terrible. Apparently the chef does not know how to cook risotto. I am not a chef and and make better risotto. The short rib soup was delicious, however. Staff was polite and efficient although the place was pretty empty. So, so restaurant. I was a little disappointed with the place after reading the reviews. I thought it was going to be much better. I give it mediocre.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014We went for restaurant week and thought the food was marginal at best. The steak wasn't cooked well and the desserts were dry. The waitress was not very talkative and we felt rushed throughout our entire meal.
- Nice place, decent food, but was okdineout4meDined on 9/27/2014place was nice, but expected food portions for restaurant week to be normal sized, not petite servings. I wish the server had informed us of this as we probably would have ordered something different. Servers were not the brightest. Otherwise, tasty food.Special Features:
- Good food, slow service, very loudErin150VIPDined on 9/23/2014We went here for Restaurant Week. The appetizers and the Stetson chopped salad and the cocktails we got were EXCELLENT. The entrees were only OK, though, and it was VERY loud in the restaurant and the service was slow. Overall, it was a good place, but I think I'd choose to return to other local restaurants before this one.Special Features:
- Excellent!lovinglifeinAZDined on 9/23/2014Cowboy Ciao never fails.... It is one of my favorite restaurants and where I have my annual birthday celebration. Love everything about this place.... The food is fabulous and I also learn about a new wine... extensive wine list.Special Features:
- servicedinnerDined on 9/22/2014Our waiter wasn't very attentive. When we received our food, he never came back to see if we needed anything and we were forced to get up and ask lady behind the bar for additional items and items that were served improperly.Special Features:
- First Time to Cowboy CiaoJeneatsworldVIPDined on 9/21/2014My husband and I came here Sunday night during Phoenix restaurant week. I like that they had the special for the week and still we had access to the regular menu. The food was incredible! I can't wait to get back there and try more items. Our waiter was very attentive. I have a list of restaurants in my I-phone and this one gets 2 stars! Only one other on my list has 2 stars. We will definitely be back, soon I hope!Special Features:
- vdineDined on 9/21/2014great food, great service, yet comfortable and unpretentiousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small PortionsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/21/2014I went here for restaurant week, the food was good however the portions were tiny. I left here hungry.Special Features:
- The worst experience.Not returningHorribleDined on 9/19/2014Went for restaurant week . Food horrible . Service horrible . Had to wait 50 min for the small /cold entree !!!! I will NEVER return .
- Great Food- Nice AtmospherettummondDined on 9/19/2014Will be back for the Cobb salad. It is AMAZING!!! Great restaurant week find! Moderately priced if eating from the normal menu, service was great!Special Features:
- DisappointingTFWThomVIPDined on 9/19/2014Was there to try the restaurant during Arizona Restaurant Week. We will not be back. Food was cold, unimpressive.
- Great experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/12/2014Cowboy Ciao has an almost unequaled wine list, or rather book, that is also fun to read as it is filled with customer quotes. The Stetson salad is always the best place to start. The service was also refreshingly warm, engaging and with the right amount of attention. Very nice experience overall.Special Features:
- Great experienceTTGilbertDined on 9/12/2014We went there for my friend's birthday. Overall the experience was wonderful. Even though it was a bit more expensive than we originally anticipated, the food was well worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ciao Chopped SaladCTappsDined on 9/12/2014We come here for the Cowboy Ciao chopped salad and the corn nut crusted scallops. The service is great and our waiter new that we wanted to try a good French Pinot and he did find one for us that wasn't to pricey.Special Features:
- DisappointingeatsalotDined on 9/6/2014In the past we really enjoyed the food. This time the only item we enjoyed was the signature saled.
- EnjoyableRikkiDined on 9/3/2014We enjoyed the food and the ambience and will come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceiliketoeatVIPDined on 9/1/2014I had been to this restaurant many years ago and was thrilled to be able to share it with my husband. Menu is eclectic and wine list is extensive. We started with a mixed mushroom appetizer (you can also get an entrée size portion) it was like a mushroom ragu and it was served over polenta. My husband had braised pork dish that fell off the bone and I had a skirt steak. We split desert: a chocolate and peanut butter sweet goodness with a side of banana ice cream. The only thing we ran into that was disappointing was that we selected a 2009 vintage wine but we were brought a 2010. The waiter absolutely pointed this out but I asked if there was a price difference (expecting the 2010 to be less) I was told there wasn't.Special Features:
- Not tastyBarbara3123Dined on 8/23/2014We started with a lukewarm appetizer of mushrooms. Although we should have sent it back to be heated, we didn't. We had the lox salad for dinner, which was just fair. However, we had the peanut butter dessert, which was delicious. We will not return. It was too noisy for us but we are all over 65. Maybe that makes a difference. A young crowd might enjoy it more than we did.
- GrazersOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/20/2014We shared 6 items off the Grazing menu for our dinner. It was the perfect way to get a taste of several dishes. They were all delicious and very satisfying for this foodie girl. My favorite was the scallops hands down. Enjoy!Special Features:
- Airport location is better!goodoverallDined on 8/16/2014We have had the luxury of eating at the airport location a few times within the year and finally had a chance to go to this location. We were not impressed. The wine list is huge but unorganized. No sections, dividers or tabs. The food wasnt as impressive as the airport location either. Looking at booking airline tickets just to get into that location....Special Features:
- Ciaoing downLifeisgoodDined on 8/15/2014Great food and consistent service. Always an enjoyable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mikesDined on 8/6/2014We dined at Cowboy Ciao approximately ten years ago and still remembered their signature salad which was and continues to be "FANTASTIC". Since that time we have often recommended this establishment to both family members and friends. They too have always had the same wonderful dinning experience we have had. We made it a specific point to dine there again this past Wednesday before catching our flight back home to Philadelphia. Cowboy Ciao you are great and we can't wait to return. Thank you,Special Features:
- Absolutely PerfectOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/28/2014Went here for my 14th wedding anniversary...not our first visit, but still a great, intimate setting with attentive staff, a great wine list and impeccably prepared food.Special Features:
- We were a party of 4...BetsydDined on 7/26/2014From drinks to desserts, we all had superb food, and our waiter was excellent. Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's a special occasionDoniamhVIPDined on 7/26/2014If it's a special occasion, I'm at Cowboy Ciao. The food never disappoints. Stetson chopped is a must. I am normally a single diner but never feel like that makes me less than a patron at this restaurant. Service is great. Never disappoints.Special Features:
- Always interesting foodPassinbyVIPDined on 7/26/2014It's a lot quieter in the summer's heat, but the wait staff is friendly and attentive and we love eating our favorites- like chopped salad, and trying new items, like Mule An cocktail. Small plates area excellent and mix and match eating a lot of fun.Special Features:
- Great food, service and attitudeHeatherVIPDined on 7/12/2014We made a note in our reservation that we were on heart healthy diets. When we arrived, we were greeted warmly and were told that the chef and our server were both ready to help us and looking forward to our visit. Our server reassured us all we needed to do was pick our proteins off the menu, and the chef would customize dinners for us. Sweet Hubby ended up with salmon over arugula with baby heirloom tomatoes, orzo, and avocado slices. My dish was swordfish over roasted baby potatoes and steamed cauliflower, all seasoned without salt. Both of our plates were delicious and we appreciated the welcoming environment. We've been to Cowboy Ciao for Sunday brunch (before our diet started) and this was our first time coming here for dinner.Special Features:
- Wonderful quiet lunchkewllewkDined on 7/10/2014Besides the chopped salad, which is awesome, the menu offers a multitude of other savory dishes. But, don't forget about the dessert menu. It deserves as much attention as it is locally made. The ice cream list is also extensive with some wonderful flavor combinations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT¡ SERVER AND FOODJAMIEDined on 7/5/2014BEST CHEESE PLATE I HAVE EVER HAD. WE LOVED WATCHING THE PEOPLE ON THE STREET ALSO.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved Cowboy CiaoOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/2/2014The food was excellent. Highly recommend the Stetson chopped salad and pan fried mushrooms? Yum!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You'll be pleased at this placeYacht41VIPDined on 6/25/2014The menu is unusual, but the food is good as is the service. The menu is a different "spin" on a number of common restaurant selections. For example, short ribs are actually pastrami short ribs - tasty and spicy. Casual ambiance with attentive service. Great local restaurant.Special Features:
- The following 1108 reviews are from the Cowboy Ciao reviews archive.
- IncrediblechopsaladloveDined on 6/21/2014Seriously the one of the Valleys BEST kept secrets. I cannot wait to return.....Special Features:
- Visiting ScottsdaleTechieboomDined on 6/20/2014Very friendly staff. We were there for dinner reservation Friday night 6/20/14. Staff was very friendly. Food was great. The salad we ordered was outstanding! It's the one with smoked salmon and arugula. It was delicious it should be under dessert. Although the dessert menu looks very enticing, we didn't have any room for it. But, we end up going back the following night for dessert. We didn't have any reservation but the host was kind enought to sit us in the bar. The bar attendant and the host was very attentive and made us felt welcome. The dessert didn't disappoint. My experience with Comboy Ciao made my quick getaway (first) visit to Scottsdale Arizona a memorable one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.