2820 North Meridian Street
Indianapolis, IN 46208Neighborhood:
InternationalPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ivytech.edu/indianapolis/courses.html
- Phone: 317-921-4442x
- Hours of Operation:
Open Most Mondays – Thursdays / Seating Between 11 a.m. - 12:15 p.m.
September 2, 3, 4, 9, 10, 11, 15, 16, 17, 18, 25, and 30
October 1, 2, 8, 9, 13, 14, 15, 23, 27, 28, 29, and 30
November 4, 5, 6, 10, 11, 12, 13, and 20
December 1, 2, 3, 4, 9, 10, 11, 15, 16, 17, and 18
Open Most Wednesdays and Thursdays / Seating Between 6:00 - 7:15 p.m.
September 4, 10, 11, 17, and 18
October 1, 2, and 30
November 5, 6, 12, 13, 19, and 20
December 10, 11, 17, and 18
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French, International
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Wine
A word from Courses Restaurant
Courses Restaurant is a student operated restaurant featuring Classical French and International Cuisines. The functions as part of the Hospitality Administration and Culinary programs at Ivy Tech Community College. Our restaurant is our classroom. The dining experience is a combination of the efforts of our students and instructors from multiple classes.Continued
We are located on the 13th floor of the old Stouffer Hotel with an amazing view of the city.
We are located on the 13th floor of the old Stouffer Hotel with an amazing view of the city.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Courses Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
11 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.6Noise LevelQuiet
scenic view (11)good for groups (10)great for lunch (10)special occasion (9)neighborhood gem (8)romantic (5)notable wine list (3)fit for foodies (1)great for brunch (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Not as polished as normalflamingofanVIPDined on 9/16/2014I understand that this is a student run restaurant as I work for the college that manages the program. Our waiter was off his game. He didn't have his glasses, so we ended up assisting him with the handheld order pad. He forgot to take our lunch order until after the appetizers were eaten. My guest's meal wasn't very warm but we had waited quite a while so didn't send it back. The food was very tasty, it just wasn't my normal dining experience at Courses. This being said, I'm going back tonight - - so obviously I still really like the restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Indianapolis GemOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/9/2014Located in the historic former Stouffer's Hotel building is a huge plus for those of us that recall the days when it housed visiting celebrities to our city. The ambiance is amazing, with 180 degree views of the Indianapolis skyline. That alone is worth a visit to Courses for lunch or dinner and a great place to take visitors so they can get a birds eye view of our beautiful city. Linen table cloths let you know you are someplace special. The menu offers selections that should suit any taste. I had Fish and Chips and was extremely pleased. My only suggestion was to offer malt vinegar rather than regular vinegar as a condiment for the Fish. The service was great, we had a pleasant young lady that was informed about menu selections.Special Features:
- Mixed ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/4/2014This was my second visit to Courses. I chose the lamb stew. The lamb was tender, juicy and flavorful. The other ingredients, not so much. While the inclusion of a variety of stewed fruits (apricots, lemons, etc) was creative and interesting, they overwhelmed the dish with their pungent taste, beyond bite-sized amounts and "chewy" (not tender) substance. I did not find those ingredients edible or tasty. Our service, especially for the appetizer, was very slow, but our waiter was spot-on with our drink refills. One repeated curiosity was the lack of an iced tea spoon (or any spoon) with an iced tea order. Not the near-perfect experience of my first visit, but it is a "learning" setting, and I will return--at least once more.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- first timefood4thoughtDined on 7/31/2014We enjoyed coming here. Food was good and craft beer was good. Students were pleasant and the view of the city was nice. We will come here again. Only next time I will ask for a table with a view (we were looking at curtains.)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GreatflamingofanVIPDined on 7/28/2014I love having a student run restaurant in the heart of the city with free parking, amazing views, and a great menu. More people need to realize that this is a great place for a business luncheon or a fun meal with family and friendsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/16/2014Everything very good but salmon was not cooked as thoroughly as I would have preferred. One side was slightly thinnner so it was fine but the thicker side could have stood a few more minutes on the grill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MenuBarbDined on 6/26/2014Liked the menu but because it doesn't change often, our visits are few and far between.Special Features:
- The following 40 reviews are from the Courses Restaurant reviews archive.
- Courses ReviewfrequentdinerDined on 5/8/2014This was a very nice restaurant with a friendly staff and beautiful view of the city!Special Features:
- neat experienceJenHDined on 5/7/2014This was a great place to have dinner for a variety of reasons. First, meeting and talking with the students was terrific, a great reminder of the human connection that is often lost or taken for granted by customers in the service industry. It was a lot of fun to learn along with them, to hear where they've been and where they're going. Our beverage ambassador told us about his class heading to France for more training, and about a neat restaurant he's already got in the works for the community when he returns! Love to see such passion and enthusiasm. The food and wine were both outstanding, and the view itself is worth every penny. The fact that the money goes to scholarships and upkeep of a great learning environment won bonus points.Special Features:
- Great student run restaurantIndyFoodieDined on 4/29/2014The food and the service were outstanding today. Some great international culinary options. The city skyline view is the best in the city being located in the Penthouse.Special Features:
- Not as enjoyable as my 1st visitDanGVIPDined on 4/28/2014Lots of mix-ups this time. My first visit about a month ago was smooth and polished. But this time the left hand didn't seem to know what the right hand was doing. Our server told us that it wasn't possible to have a glass of wine with lunch, but then a different person said they could (which was the case on the 1st visit.) Then we were told that tips were not allowed, but another person said they were, and that any tip money was added to the school's scholarship fund. Then both my guest and I noticed that desserts had been added to our bills, although we'd had none. And so many people repeatedly stopped by to ask "is everything OK" that it was hard to carry on a conversation. Hope it was a learning experience for them.
- Classroom CuisineflamingofanVIPDined on 4/28/2014Having students running this amazing restaurant is always a surprise for first time guests! The food is wonderful and carefully prepared by culinary arts students. The front of the house are a range of students in hospitality, management, or culinary arts (and some of them are so nervous!). Always save room for dessert! The beverage management class runs the bar and they have purchased a lot of really good wines. Views of Indianapolis from the 13th floor are phenomenal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/16/2014A delightful experience.................................Special Features:
- A Dining Delight - Of "Course"!DinersdelightDined on 4/10/2014Menu had a variety of selections. The greek salad very tasty and ingredients very fresh. The portions of both meals ordered were ample and we each had a "to-go" box. A return trip for an evening meal to enjoy overlooking Indy is is definitely in the works! Pricing was very modest and certainly "bargain"!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a really enjoyable lunch.DanGVIPDined on 4/9/2014I used the "outstanding" rating primarily because of the combination of very modest prices and efforts of the students. The menu was really interesting with some unique items. Food quality was good, and on a sunny day the view was especially nice. The young men and women could not have tried harder. It's great experience for them and the fresh-faced young man who served us proudly announced he had already lined up a great job in Louisville following his upcoming graduation. We want to go back for dinner to see if it's just as well done.
- A complete dining experience!JRaeDined on 4/3/2014This isn't a place to just stop in, grab some food and go on your way. Take your time to talk to the students and instructors as they stop by. Go visit the kitchen where you can meet the chef. Learn about the history of the building (did you know Elvis stayed there?). The food was fantastic. The menu wasn't extensive, but the options were so varied that I didn't need 100 choices. The service is top-notch (after all, this is a classroom - they're being evaluated). And of course, there's the view of the city! WOW. Make a later reservation so you can see the city lights.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Courses RecommendedBarbDined on 4/3/2014Food excellent, service commendable, view outstanding, Menu is limited and changes every four weeks. Great forluonch if you have the time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I've enjoyed all of my manyTinaDined on 3/5/2014I've enjoyed all of my many visits to Courses. The foods and drinks ordered by our group of three on March 5 were delicious, particularly the salmon in puff pastry. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great LunchMikeDined on 3/5/2014I was very impressed with my food, the atmosphere and service. The view is phenominal and the food value is terrific. I would definetely reccomend this to friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great view, great lunch!221BusyBeeDined on 3/5/2014We were so happy to stumble upon this fine restaurant for lunch and will be sure to return. We had an exquisite ravioli dish, and the hazelnut creme dessert was amazing! The view of the city, service and lunch were all impeccable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My February 2014 Dining ExperienceCricketDined on 2/26/2014We truly enjoyed our meal, starting with the garlic-crusted escorgots, we both agreed.....the best we've had since living in France. For our entree we had the mouth-watering grilled salmon, on a bed of tender baby spinach, and the pan-seared rainbow trout with awesome mash potatoes and vegtables. The preparation and presentation of the food gets an A+. All while sitting in comfortable chairs, not-rushed atmosphere, and a sun-filled room, with the a great view of the surrounding area and downtown. See you soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Night OutLove2EatOutDined on 2/20/2014My husband and I loved the attention we received as customers at Courses restaurant. The dinner was very good but while we knew the choices would be limited, we would have liked a little more variety and a little wider price range for the dinners. They all seemed to be in the same price range which won't exactly make it our go to spot unless it is a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Hidden Gem!JoyceDined on 2/19/2014I took two of my favorite friends there for lunch and both were extremely "wowed" by the facility, the food and its amazing presentation, and the attentiveness of the student server. Highly recommend this restaurant for special events, for the view of downtown Indy, and for its beauty. Plus its value is outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ExperiencePopsDined on 2/12/2014The Courses' formal atmosphere is great for couples wanting good food and city views. Be sure to call ahead because their diner days and hours are limited. If you want to preview Courses, stop in for lunch during the work week.Special Features:
- We enjoy coming at least onceBarbaraDined on 2/12/2014We enjoy coming at least once a semester because we like to support the students and talk with them as they struggle to do everything correctly. Our waiter (or others) had the following small "flubs". Didn't know the soup d-jour. Didn't bring spoons with the soup. The menu mis-spells "dessert". We enjoyed watching the preparation of the crepe Suzette. The students are all very friendly and engaging. We'll be back for more courses. Barbara and Ray DunkinSpecial Features:
- Dinner and an amazing viewflamingofanVIPDined on 2/12/2014Views of downtown Indianapolis from the 13th floor of a historic re-purposed hotel is just the beginning of an amazing meal. The restaurant is a hands on lab for culinary arts students at Ivy Tech Community College. Excellent cuisine, great service, fun interaction with college students. We enjoyed a full meal, great wine, and wonderful dessert was enjoyed for my niece's 28th birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No Notification of ClosureKindyDined on 1/28/2014I had reservations for lunch on Tuesday, January 28 when it was particularly cold and the mayor shut down the government buildings. I looked on the Courses and Ivy Tech websites and could find no mention of their closing. I called and left a message the evening before on the only number I could find on line for the restaurant. The weather was dry and sunny and the roads good, so we braved the cold only to find the restaurant was closed. I believe part of what you should be teaching your students is good customer service, which includes a courtesy phone call or email to those on your reservation list if the restaurant closes or you have to cancel the reservation for any reason. You failed that test.
- good food and servicelikemysteakDined on 1/23/2014A great place to go for an excellent dinner for a great price. The students aren't as polished as at a regular restaurant but they provide good service. The food was excellent. You get a complete view of downtown as you eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Coursesbig2sueDined on 12/12/2013The view is spectacular. Fresh flowers on the tables. Warmly greeted and seated immediately. Our server was not well informed (or very interested in what the food was), but students pitch in and we eventually got very good service. The wine expert, was indeed an expert and very well informed. Had lots of suggestions. Dessert was a work of art, AND tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique ExperienceCmaxVIPDined on 11/21/2013Be a part of a learning experience. Students working both front and back of house. Food and view are both great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- City OverlookthatoneguyDined on 11/21/2013Courses gives a great view of the city, which matches the decor. The service was genuine, friendly, and thorough. I met a friend for lunch and we both thought our meals were prepared well and a good deal for the price. I have already recommended Courses to friends and colleagues. I anticipate taking my wife on a date there soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My co-workers and I went tosharonVIPDined on 11/20/2013My co-workers and I went to lunch to celebrate my birthday. Courses was a great choice! The restaurant is run entirely by IvyTech students - both FOH and BOH. Our server was absolutely wonderful - very attentive, friendly. The views of downtown Indy from the penthouse were incredible. It made the restaurant feel very exclusive. I started with the Korean Dumplings as an app., and had the Cuban Sandwich as my lunch entree. Both were delicious! Food was served prompt and hot! And, as an added bonus, they brought out a slice of Sacher Torte as a birthday dessert. My favorite! I plan to return and hopefully purchase a whole Sacher Torte - it was so good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow! What a hiddent treasure!AlfieDined on 11/19/2013Views like no place in the city at all times of year! This place is the jewel of the near north side of Indianapolis and well worth the trip from anywhere in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The meatballs, and ESPECIALLYJimKDined on 11/7/2013The meatballs, and ESPECIALLY the gravy were outstanding! The wait time for someone to at least even greet you could use a lot of work, though. The other food was excellent! And the price was totally surprising (in a good way)!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I would go again!IrishDined on 11/6/2013What a gem. The food was great, the ambience professional and classy, the view wonderful. The server made me feel welcome and was both knowledgable and charming. In addition, the opportunity to support a quality program was a bonus.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Restaurant Great FoodCheesecakeladyDined on 10/31/2013We went to Courses to celebrate a birthday. It was very nice, elegant, even. It was a very quiet, relaxing atmosphere. The view of downtown Indy was beautiful even though we were there on a rainy night. We ordered a variety of entrees: beef short ribs, shrimp and salmon and all were delicious. The salmon and the green beans were the best I've ever had. The restaurant was a bit more expensive than your run-of-the-mill steakhouse, but the food and atmosphere were so much better it was worth it. I like the idea of supporting the students in the restaurant and we were very pleased with the meal. It's probably not for everyday dinners, but for special occasions, it is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantIvyTDined on 10/29/2013The students are learning a lot and are doing an amazing job. The program is awesome and the view is outstanding!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Must Dostuboy1Dined on 10/24/2013Good luck to the people preparing their profession at this wonderful facility!!!!!Special Features:
- Courses - Student RunHungry1Dined on 10/24/2013What a gem! The views are fantastic, the food was great, and the ambience was classy. Highly recommend - open for lunches and dinners...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gourmet Dinner in a College ClassflamingofanVIPDined on 10/17/2013Courses is 100% student driven - they run the front of the house, back of the house, and beverage service while earning experience and college credit. Supported by Ivy Tech Community College's Culinary Arts and Hospitality program you get amazing international cuisine and a nearly 360 degree view of Indianapolis. Student chef's plan and prepare a special each evening. The wine list is really great and the specialty cocktails fun. Full dinners can run up to $30.00 without alcohol and lunches can be close to $20.00. This is a special event place - I've had many birthday celebrations and business lunches. Free and convenient parking is just outside the door. This is an amazing way for Ivy Tech to reuse the old Stouffer's Hotel!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.