2923 Girard Ave S
Minneapolis, MN 55408Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://coupdetatmpls.com/
- Phone: 6123543575x
- Hours of Operation:
Happy Hour: Sunday - Thursday 5PM-7PM and 10PM-12AM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Mediterranean, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Nick O'Leary, Tyler Shipton
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Coup D'etat offers a gorgeous private dining room complete with a fireplace, 19 foot ceilings, and gorgeous artwork. This spacious area, separate from the main dining room is perfect for dinner parties, corporates outings, holiday parties or whatever your needs may be!
- Private Party Contact: Marissa Merchant 6125627054x
- Cross Street: Girard and Lagoon
- Public Transit: Located two blocks away from the Uptown Transit Center as well as the very close to the following stops:
1 - Lagoon Ave & Fremont Ave S
Stop ID: 42036
2 - Hennepin Ave & Lagoon Ave
Stop ID: 1323
3 - Lake St W & Girard Ave S
Stop ID: 50212
4 - Hennepin Ave S & Lagoon Ave
Stop ID: 1105
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet available for $8
Ramp parking is also available directly below our restaurant in the Walkway Parking Ramp, as well as across the street in the Mosaic Parking Ramp. Street parking can be tricky but is also an option.
A word from Coup D'Etat
A smart and stylish restaurant and bar. Coup D'etat is ideal for groups large and small, it offers a private dining room and throughout the restaurant there are lounge areas, tables, and booths for smaller groups. The food is approachable, modern, and contemporary. The cocktail program is equally smart with reinterpretations of classic drinks as well as new creations.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Coup D'Etat - Best Restaurants in Uptown ›
Coup D'Etat reviews from OpenTable diners
206 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (124)fit for foodies (106)vibrant bar scene (91)hot spot (79)good for groups (73)special occasion (64)neighborhood gem (53)romantic (48)late-night find (33)scenic view (30)notable wine list (17)great for brunch (11)great for lunch (5)kid-friendly (2)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014We had a wonderful experience at Coup D'Etat. Open Table was seamless and very helpful. Definitely would go again. Service was quick (we had a show to get to), staff was friendly, food was delicious. Eclectic taste in the 6 of us who ate there. Everyone was pleased with their drinks and meal.Special Features:
- Fun date night spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/13/2014My hubby and I went here for a date night on a Saturday night. We enjoyed a drink and appetizer at the fun bar prior to our 7:30 reservations. The cocktail list is seasonal and fun (pricey tho!) Our dinner table overlooked the main bar area which was really fun and had a New Orleans type feel. The food was excellent - with a special shout out to the gnocchi which was outstanding. Our server was sweet and helpful and very good at explaining the dishes. While it was certainly not a quiet, romantic type dinner we found the energetic vibe really fun - the upstairs bar has an awesome couch for pre or post dinner drinks too - we would return!Special Features:
- Something differentKelleyDined on 9/13/2014I went to Coup d'etat with a small group of friends. The ambiance was spectacular and our server was great... Very helpful in answering our dozens of questions. :-) The food was definitely well prepared and cooked with skill. I don't have a incredibly sophisticated pallette, so most of the food was new to me. You're not going to get a burger and fries here! :-) All in all an excellent experience. We would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MinneapolisDinerDined on 9/5/2014The service was really good until the food was delivered. Then I had to hunt down our server which took 35 minutes. Two out of three of us had to send our food back for being way too salty. It was inedible.Special Features:
- Non-hostile TakeoverxpditeDined on 9/1/2014As an Uptown restaurant junky I'm always excited to see some fresh faces on the scene. Been to Coup D'Etat several times since it's opened and it's already become a favorite. Great menu selection, servers are friendly and knowledgeable and the food is fabulous. The second floor outside deck is the perfect spot to enjoy a beverage and watch the sunset... at least in the Summer!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/31/2014Agnolotti was good, with the speck and kale playing off the sauce; however, those ingredients overpowered the ingredients inside the Agnolotti. Bone marrow was subpar on both flavor and texture. Friendly and attentive staff. Ate at the bar and John was helpful and nice.Special Features:
- EXCELLENT find in uptownteamplayerVIPDined on 8/30/2014We were VERY impressed with the attentive and excellent service we received. The food and it's presentation was extraordinaire! The chandelier room off the back is so beautiful. It would be a perfect setting for any special occasion. We are excited to bring friends and sit at the upstairs table with the high-back chairs! This is definitely our most favorite restaurant now. It has class, ambiance and service that is outstanding and food that is exiting to the palate and the eyes.Special Features:
- EnjoyableInterestingVIPDined on 8/30/2014I’ve had the pleasure of dinning at this wonderful restaurant several times. My dinner companion has heard me rave about Coup d’Etat and thus we decided to check it out together. We both enjoyed our own beets salads, of which the “clean plate kid’s” won medals. Then on to our entrée’s…..She had the Agnolotti, of which she swears was the best she’d ever had in “life.” I on the other hand opted for the Sea Bass. The skin was crispy, and the fish sweet and tender. Regrettably, we didn’t get our servers name, but he was attentive, and informative. Finally, dessert to share, the S’more Pot De Crème. While many of the components of the dessert were spot on, the ice cream, not so much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun spot in uptownDkhutsDined on 8/23/2014Packed full of flavor, each dish has a nice full taste. The gnocchi is delicious! Highly recommend the mussels too. Inviting for large groups and has a very fun atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Uptown DiningDavidDined on 8/23/2014I have been to Coup D'Etat 4 to 5 times and have never been disappointed! I love this place. The atmosphere is energetic and hip, the food is amazing with lots of healthy selections, and the servers are consistently good. Everyone there is always having a great time so it is a fun environment with a full bar and extensive beer and wine list AND great food. I have been there each time in groups of 3 or 4 and it is the perfect setting for this.Special Features:
- First Time DinersMonicaandChandlerDined on 8/23/2014We had dinner for the first time at Coup D'Etat and it was fantastic! The service was really good. The food was excellent and for once the portions were of normal size and not the usual huge portions you get at other restaurants. We actually had room for dessert and didn't feel overly stuffed when we were done. When the staff brought the food to the table they described the food, which was more than what was in the menu. The s'more dessert was excellent and had ice cream that tasted like a marshmallow off of the campfire. Well done! We'll be back.Special Features:
- RavensgalDined on 8/22/2014I was so excited to check out this new place, ever since it took the spot of my favorite hang out spot (cowboy slims). They ran out of a bunch of food that I wanted to order and we waited forever for our meals. I guess the food was good if they were out of certain dishes? Just wished I had been able to order what I had ben eyeing all week on their menu. The bartender said they were getting all new menus and to come back and check it out...so we will go back. I hope it's better! On a side note their wine cellar is absolutely ridiculous (in a good way!). If you have a chance to to the bathroom and look down.
- bummer!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/21/2014Such a good location and terrific decor and yet underwhelming food. Our party of 6 had beef, pork, pasta, fish and all were bad. Unfortunately it looks like their best item was one we didn't order - the pizzas looked great walking by. Ok service nice wine& beer choices. Won't return for food!Special Features:
- Uninspired Food - Good "Scene"FoodDudeDined on 8/19/2014We found this to be about the "Scene" not the food. Our waitstaff was more like an upscale bartender. She was polite and friendly but no knowledge of the food she was serving. At $75 per person I have some expectations: 1.) The server should know the menu and some details about the food, 2.) Filtered cold water, 3.) Something unique on the menu. None of these criteria were met. None of the food was bad and at the same time nothing was good. I would consider going for a cocktail and eating before or after elsewhere.Special Features:
- New FindJflarsonVIPDined on 8/18/2014Love this place. If you are up for unusual, high quality food and don't mind a higher price this is the place. Way out of the ordinary. The speciality drinks were terrific too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverallSuziQDined on 8/17/2014It was a nice restaurant to eat outside; middle of Uptown. However, they were out of almost everything when we went on a Sunday afternoon. Then after being told we could order from the happy hour menu, when the bill came we were told that happy hour ended a few hours ago and were charged full price. Had we known, we wouldn't have ordered so much. I thought the dinner was lovely, they brought the food out to us hot; waiter was great! Friendly. However, didn't think a meal between 2 people should have been $65.Special Features:
- Drinks were good...food was fairLMCRDined on 8/16/2014I thought the service was great. The food was over salted and not very original. My dinning partners indicated to me that this was their 5th visit and felt the food has gotten poor over time.Special Features:
- FoodiemomVIPDined on 8/16/2014We were very disappointed with the food. Everything was too salty and unimaginative. The menu was limited, especially for me because I'm gluten free. We will not be returning. Also, when you open all the windows and it's a warm humid night, the temperature becomes quite uncomfortable inside. Think about putting in large ceiling fans or closing the windows.Special Features:
- Once again, disappointed in serviceSlowserviceDined on 8/16/2014I have dined here a handful of times.... Everytime very disappointed in how long the service takes (ridiculous amount of time to get a beverages and food). I kept coming back in hope that service would be better/faster, but after dinner on Sat night, that will be my last time I visit this establishment. Our dinner took 2.5 hours which is ridiculous (esp when we were ready to order everytime our waitress came by).
- Thought about Coup D'EtatallmineDined on 8/16/2014Two friends and I went to Coup D'Etat on Saturday, the 16th. We ordered drinks. I wanted a Southern Comfort Old Fashioned and one of my friends wanted a J & B Scotch. The bar did not have either of these liquors. We opted for something else. One of my friends said her dinner was "o.k.". She has the beet salad and scallops. My other friend ordered the Sea Bass and said it was the worse Sea Bass she'd ever had. I ordered the polenta and the pork tenderloin. The pork was o.k. but quite ordinary. The ploenta was so salty I could hardly eat it. Needless to say we will never be dining at Coup D'Etat again. The guys manning the valet stand were terrific.Special Features:
- Not as good as the first timehappybellyDined on 8/16/2014The food has gone downhill since it opened. Our first meal was fabulous. This time, no so much. Our scallops were over salted and the beet salad was inedible. The fish and chips came with a few overcooked slices of potato - not really "chips" in my mind, but the fish was good. Not sure we're going back.Special Features:
- Ses535VIPDined on 8/14/2014Beer salad and gnocchi were both great. Fun cocktail menu. Nice place to do share plates.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/13/2014The menu looked great on-line, sadly the quality did not live up to my expectations, the entrees tasted too much of salt and garlic, the restaurant was not overly busy yet we waited far too long for our food. Perhaps the kitchen was having a bad night, who knows, it was my first and most likely my last visit to this restaurant. Very disappointing to say the least
- It's a drinker spotMANwPLANVIPDined on 8/8/2014Great drinks - Good Food. Bring back the frog legsSpecial Features:
- Motorcycle noise factorsassygirl45Dined on 8/7/2014Love Coup d'Etat--but Thursday night was so noisy (was it a local Hell's Angels gathering?) conversation was almost impossible. Perhaps some kind of plantings could provide visual and noise barrier to on street racket. I will not sit street side again. Food off the grid good, service--great, drinks tasty. Noise the big deterrent.Special Features:
- Very, Very goodRodgerDined on 8/6/2014Love the decor. Food VERY good. This will be a great winter scene with open spaces lots of light. Their lox was great. Mussels large and properly cooked. Will be backSpecial Features:
- First timeDaniDined on 8/6/2014We had dinner upstairs near the open balcony. The view was nice. The food was great and the service was as well. The cocktails were unique and tasty. I would come back.Special Features:
- small foodSteakLoverVIPDined on 8/5/2014The menu is very limited, the portions extremely small and mine was pretty much tasteless Crab Fetticini and the prices relatively high. They screwed up a Mojito, tasted like lemonade (I sent it back). The one fish entrée on the menu, they didn't have, this was 7:oo pm on a Tuesday night. We would never consider going back
- Not GreatLaixDined on 8/4/2014The food was OK, we had an app and a couple of salads and left for another spot because we didn't think the entrees would get better. The drinks they made were way too sweet, but they remade it and it was OK. A nice atmosphere and service was good, but there are dozens of places with better food.
- Great dinner and serviceDiner321VIPDined on 8/2/2014First time at the restaurant and very much enjoyed the meal.Special Features:
- Beautiful Space, Great ServiceJennDined on 7/26/2014If you are a foodie you will love Coup D' Etat. The menu offers a variety of selection for your standard dinner as well as someone with a more advance pallet. The service we received was outstanding due to our server Ashley who steered us in the right direction with all our menu choices. I would definitely go back for a late night dining experience or for appetizers. It gets to be a little $$ with drinks, apps, and dinner but well worth it in the end!Special Features:
- Menu mysteryFood4thoughtDined on 7/26/2014Quite disappointing to see the items that received good reviews 6 months ago no longer available (artic char, rack of lamb,roasted Brussels sprouts) explained as a seasonal change but devoid of worthy replacements.May explain why open tables existed on a Saturday evening even though reservations were apparently full from 6 to 9pm.Special Features:
- Attentive staffGourmandDined on 7/25/2014Our waiter was very friendly and professional - correcting an error on our wine tab and even running downstairs to get our car from the valet. Love, love, love the dinnerware! My asparagus plate was stunning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodMichaelDined on 7/25/2014My wife and I went here during restaurant week and we tried a lot if their items. The scallops were amazing and the fettuccini was very good. The roasted beats (appetizer) were simply amazing, and our deserts were excellent. The food was 5-star quality with a beautiful presentation. We were able to eat upstairs with outdoor seating, which I think was worth the wait. The service was excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Much better than expectedSureshotDined on 7/25/2014Reading the menu on line we thought it was quite limited and thought we were in for bar food with a few innovations. This impression was reinforced when we walked into this handsome, trendy very crowded bistro atmosphere situated in a trendy reclaimed area of town, teeming with other trendy bistros. Well we were very pleasantly surprised. Although preparations were hardly exotic, everything was well prepared, the bass, scallops and even the ultimate bar food-fish and chips. Starters were very good. The "cheap" bottle of wine from Provence was excellent (we had two for our party of four). We hesitate to mention that the wine was that good lest they raise the price. Service was excellent, friendly and attentive. We will be back.Special Features:
- LOVED IT!BuckyDined on 7/24/2014I loved the food, service, and the ambience of the restaurant. The outdoor seating is really lovely and chandeliers inside add a very chic touch. And the food was surprisingly reasonably prices and delicious!Special Features:
- Restaurant Week reviewNancySGVIPDined on 7/24/2014Went here for restaurant week, and enjoyed the menu. We were a bunch of high maintenance eaters (3 gluten free and 1 vegetarian!) and the waiter accommodated all of our needs. It is a huge space, hip and pretty loud. Not my usual type of place (I like smaller more intimate spots), but I can see how some people would really enjoy it. Good cocktails - loved the Dealers Choice where you allow the bartender to make something up for you. Corkage is $20.Special Features:
- Wonderful ExperienceKathieDined on 7/24/2014At on the outdoor patio upstairs and it was wonderful, food was great, and service was attentive. Was very happy we didn't eat inside, it was so loud you could hardly hear yourself think.Special Features:
- GreatmsgabrielleannDined on 7/23/2014great food all around with a twist. it's meant to be contemporary american but it's more italian or frenchSpecial Features:
- Birthday DinnerBirthdayBummerDined on 7/22/2014Came here for my birthday dinner and as part of restaurant week. I had been here for drinks only before and was excited to try this place due to good reviews in local publications. Our entrees took over an hour to get, they were out of the desserts we wanted, and when we did finally get our entrees, they were cold and improperly cooked. We did speak with management and they made several concessions on our bill as well as offered a gift card to encourage us to come back once they make changes. Overall - not pleased with our experience this night but relatively happy with how management handled the situation. Our server was great, although she was openly embarrassed we had such a bad experience. The cocktails are great.Special Features: