2923 Girard Ave S
Minneapolis, MN 55408Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://coupdetatmpls.com/
- Phone: 6123543575x
- Hours of Operation:
Happy Hour Daily: 5PM-7PM and 10PM-12AM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Mediterranean, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Nick O'Leary, Tyler Shipton
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Coup D'etat offers a gorgeous private dining room complete with a fireplace, 19 foot ceilings, and gorgeous artwork. This spacious area, separate from the main dining room is perfect for dinner parties, corporates outings, holiday parties or whatever your needs may be!
- Private Party Contact: Marissa Merchant 6125627054x
- Cross Street: Girard and Lagoon
- Public Transit: Located two blocks away from the Uptown Transit Center as well as the very close to the following stops:
1 - Lagoon Ave & Fremont Ave S
Stop ID: 42036
2 - Hennepin Ave & Lagoon Ave
Stop ID: 1323
3 - Lake St W & Girard Ave S
Stop ID: 50212
4 - Hennepin Ave S & Lagoon Ave
Stop ID: 1105
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet available for $8
Ramp parking is also available directly below our restaurant in the Walkway Parking Ramp, as well as across the street in the Mosaic Parking Ramp. Street parking can be tricky but is also an option.
A word from Coup D'Etat
A smart and stylish restaurant and bar. Coup D'etat is ideal for groups large and small, it offers a private dining room and throughout the restaurant there are lounge areas, tables, and booths for smaller groups. The food is approachable, modern, and contemporary. The cocktail program is equally smart with reinterpretations of classic drinks as well as new creations.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Coup D'Etat - Best Restaurants in Uptown ›
Coup D'Etat reviews from OpenTable diners
181 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (103)fit for foodies (101)vibrant bar scene (90)hot spot (79)good for groups (68)special occasion (59)neighborhood gem (52)romantic (46)late-night find (35)scenic view (26)notable wine list (15)great for brunch (9)great for lunch (6)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Beautiful spaceWVUHammyDined on 10/20/2014Three of us went to Coup d'etat for restaurant week and all left satisfied. I ordered the butternut squash soup and agnolotti as the main course. Both were served fresh and tasty. The food was served in a very appealing way from servers who were prompt, knowledgeable and helpful. All three of us were very happy with our meals and will return again!Special Features:
- Very goodOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/20/2014Great new restaurant in Uptown. Well decorated, excellent food. We went during restaurant week so that we weren't able to get a complete picture, but I would absolutely return - mostly for a special occasion or happy hour as it may be slightly expensive. Parking isn't easy and their valet parking is $8.Special Features:
- Really awesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014We were a bit fussy about table selection. Which can in a lot of places make wait staff and hostess irritated. Not here very accommodating. Our server was awesome attentive but not overly so. Checked back after we had had a few bites to see if food was okay. Not overbearing. We were there for restaurant week and were treated very well the food was presented and prepared to perfection. Soup fantastic cleverly presented. Overall a great experience would highly recommend and will return again. Restaurant week great opportunity to try new place without dropping ton of money first time and perhaps being disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice but noisyKarenDined on 10/18/2014A bit of an unusual new restaurant. Interesting décor and very large bar. A bit too noisy for us because we were planning a quiet dinner. Best for a younger crowd.Special Features:
- HappymauihawaiiDined on 10/17/2014I always enjoying trying new restaurants (new to me). I was very pleased with this restaurant! Excellent service! Squash pumpkin soup was vet good as week as the Short rib entree. I will go back!Special Features:
- KeroseneVIPDined on 10/13/2014We shared a few small plates, with the Moroccan Cauliflower coming out on top. The Gnocchi with Truffle Oil was too rich to finish; well-prepared but just too much. The Broccoli with apple strips and ham hocks was nice, but the cauliflower with sultana raisins won the day. They had a Butternut Squash Soup that was yummy, but the waiter neglected to say that it was served over creme fraiche when asked if it was dairy-free.Special Features:
- ShayDined on 10/11/2014Music was just a little to loud but over all great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOverpricedDined on 10/10/2014There we 3 of us and we each ordered something different. Everything was spot on perfect. The seasoning is just perfect. Loved everything.Special Features:
- Great PlaceFather63VIPDined on 10/7/2014We took a shot at eating here, not quite knowing what to expect. The food was spectacular. The service was perfect. And it was a place we will make sure to come to again and again. Keep up all the great parts of what you're doing and we'll be back!Special Features:
- Will be backRH2HAUGDined on 10/4/2014This place is beautiful! They payed attention to every detail when creating this space. Great food and even better drink menu. Get their version if the manhattan, delish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool placeDoverproDined on 10/4/2014Food was very good although the lobster mushrooms were only 3, small and nothing to write home about. Scallops and Baked Chicken dinners were very good. Chicken rice mix exceptional. Service was very good with extra staff to refill water glasses, clear away dishes between courses. Limited menu but they try to do all food to high level. Get a seat around the balcony for people watching.Special Features:
- GerardDined on 9/30/2014Cocktails were terrific and not at all shy with the alcohol content:) Food was outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The worse service I've ever had!Mpls104VIPDined on 9/27/2014Due to the horrible service, we spent over two hours at the restaurant. We waited 20 minutes before the server came to the table, the manager stopped by and bought us a round of drinks (nice gesture but didn't make up for the wait), we ordered bone marrow for a table of four but was only given 3 pieces of bread, we asked for more but it took about 20 minutes and it was burned, after about an hour the server announced that he was about to put our order in and it would take over 30 minutes because the kitchen was backed due to two large parties. The food was good, but the service, or lack thereof, ruined the experience.
- Thank you dinner for familyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Reserved a table for my family as a thank you dinner. We were seated right away. Server was fabulous & food delicious! Only negative comment I have is that it was a bit dark atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dining experience.Uptown4funDined on 9/26/2014We really enjoyed our evening. The food was creative and very delicious. Portions were perfect and food was beautifully displayed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Atmosphere...Slow ServiceTonyVIPDined on 9/26/2014I heard good things about Coup D'Etat so made a reservation for a group of 4. Dinner started off well. Our waitress was attentive and checked back with us as we were looking over the menu. We started with the roasted beets and and gnocchi for an appetizer. The were well prepared and were a nice way to start our meal. However, it took 45 minutes from the time we finished our appetizer to when we received our entrees. The meal was well presented but was only warm-ish when we got it. We then decided to order dessert. It was another 45 minutes before it arrived at our table. What was suppose to be a scoop of cherry sorbet that came with our chocolate cake came as a cherry puddle. It was completely melted when presented to us.Special Features:
- Dinner at Coup D'EtatEljohnDined on 9/23/2014This was our first time at Coup D'Etat and we had a wonderful time. The assortment of craft cocktails at the bar was excellent, I highly recommend the Parlor Old Fashioned. Both the dinner and the service were perfect. The menu is limited but the quality and the presentation were top notch. I will definitely be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thoughtful food and serviceswminnfoodsterDined on 9/21/2014We had the scallops and short ribs on a Sunday night on the patio. For being in Uptown it was actually quiet and romantic. The spices and preparations were interesting and done well. Our server Matt was wonderfully attentive. We tried this place because we had a coupon and I was prepared to be disappointed end but ended up rather impressed.Special Features:
- Young and hipTobyEatsVIPDined on 9/20/2014As a middle aged couple with 2 kids, we felt a little out of place amongst the 30-somethings at the bar. The food, service, and ambiance are great. It's really loud so it's hard to have any kind of meaningful conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014We had a wonderful experience at Coup D'Etat. Open Table was seamless and very helpful. Definitely would go again. Service was quick (we had a show to get to), staff was friendly, food was delicious. Eclectic taste in the 6 of us who ate there. Everyone was pleased with their drinks and meal.Special Features:
- Fun date night spot!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/13/2014My hubby and I went here for a date night on a Saturday night. We enjoyed a drink and appetizer at the fun bar prior to our 7:30 reservations. The cocktail list is seasonal and fun (pricey tho!) Our dinner table overlooked the main bar area which was really fun and had a New Orleans type feel. The food was excellent - with a special shout out to the gnocchi which was outstanding. Our server was sweet and helpful and very good at explaining the dishes. While it was certainly not a quiet, romantic type dinner we found the energetic vibe really fun - the upstairs bar has an awesome couch for pre or post dinner drinks too - we would return!Special Features:
- Something differentKelleyDined on 9/13/2014I went to Coup d'etat with a small group of friends. The ambiance was spectacular and our server was great... Very helpful in answering our dozens of questions. :-) The food was definitely well prepared and cooked with skill. I don't have a incredibly sophisticated pallette, so most of the food was new to me. You're not going to get a burger and fries here! :-) All in all an excellent experience. We would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MinneapolisDinerDined on 9/5/2014The service was really good until the food was delivered. Then I had to hunt down our server which took 35 minutes. Two out of three of us had to send our food back for being way too salty. It was inedible.Special Features:
- Non-hostile TakeoverxpditeVIPDined on 9/1/2014As an Uptown restaurant junky I'm always excited to see some fresh faces on the scene. Been to Coup D'Etat several times since it's opened and it's already become a favorite. Great menu selection, servers are friendly and knowledgeable and the food is fabulous. The second floor outside deck is the perfect spot to enjoy a beverage and watch the sunset... at least in the Summer!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/31/2014Agnolotti was good, with the speck and kale playing off the sauce; however, those ingredients overpowered the ingredients inside the Agnolotti. Bone marrow was subpar on both flavor and texture. Friendly and attentive staff. Ate at the bar and John was helpful and nice.Special Features:
- EXCELLENT find in uptownteamplayerVIPDined on 8/30/2014We were VERY impressed with the attentive and excellent service we received. The food and it's presentation was extraordinaire! The chandelier room off the back is so beautiful. It would be a perfect setting for any special occasion. We are excited to bring friends and sit at the upstairs table with the high-back chairs! This is definitely our most favorite restaurant now. It has class, ambiance and service that is outstanding and food that is exiting to the palate and the eyes.Special Features:
- EnjoyableInterestingVIPDined on 8/30/2014I’ve had the pleasure of dinning at this wonderful restaurant several times. My dinner companion has heard me rave about Coup d’Etat and thus we decided to check it out together. We both enjoyed our own beets salads, of which the “clean plate kid’s” won medals. Then on to our entrée’s…..She had the Agnolotti, of which she swears was the best she’d ever had in “life.” I on the other hand opted for the Sea Bass. The skin was crispy, and the fish sweet and tender. Regrettably, we didn’t get our servers name, but he was attentive, and informative. Finally, dessert to share, the S’more Pot De Crème. While many of the components of the dessert were spot on, the ice cream, not so much.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun spot in uptownDkhutsDined on 8/23/2014Packed full of flavor, each dish has a nice full taste. The gnocchi is delicious! Highly recommend the mussels too. Inviting for large groups and has a very fun atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Uptown DiningDavidDined on 8/23/2014I have been to Coup D'Etat 4 to 5 times and have never been disappointed! I love this place. The atmosphere is energetic and hip, the food is amazing with lots of healthy selections, and the servers are consistently good. Everyone there is always having a great time so it is a fun environment with a full bar and extensive beer and wine list AND great food. I have been there each time in groups of 3 or 4 and it is the perfect setting for this.Special Features:
- First Time DinersMonicaandChandlerDined on 8/23/2014We had dinner for the first time at Coup D'Etat and it was fantastic! The service was really good. The food was excellent and for once the portions were of normal size and not the usual huge portions you get at other restaurants. We actually had room for dessert and didn't feel overly stuffed when we were done. When the staff brought the food to the table they described the food, which was more than what was in the menu. The s'more dessert was excellent and had ice cream that tasted like a marshmallow off of the campfire. Well done! We'll be back.Special Features:
- RavensgalDined on 8/22/2014I was so excited to check out this new place, ever since it took the spot of my favorite hang out spot (cowboy slims). They ran out of a bunch of food that I wanted to order and we waited forever for our meals. I guess the food was good if they were out of certain dishes? Just wished I had been able to order what I had ben eyeing all week on their menu. The bartender said they were getting all new menus and to come back and check it out...so we will go back. I hope it's better! On a side note their wine cellar is absolutely ridiculous (in a good way!). If you have a chance to to the bathroom and look down.
- bummer!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/21/2014Such a good location and terrific decor and yet underwhelming food. Our party of 6 had beef, pork, pasta, fish and all were bad. Unfortunately it looks like their best item was one we didn't order - the pizzas looked great walking by. Ok service nice wine& beer choices. Won't return for food!Special Features:
- Uninspired Food - Good "Scene"FoodDudeDined on 8/19/2014We found this to be about the "Scene" not the food. Our waitstaff was more like an upscale bartender. She was polite and friendly but no knowledge of the food she was serving. At $75 per person I have some expectations: 1.) The server should know the menu and some details about the food, 2.) Filtered cold water, 3.) Something unique on the menu. None of these criteria were met. None of the food was bad and at the same time nothing was good. I would consider going for a cocktail and eating before or after elsewhere.Special Features:
- New FindJflarsonVIPDined on 8/18/2014Love this place. If you are up for unusual, high quality food and don't mind a higher price this is the place. Way out of the ordinary. The speciality drinks were terrific too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverallSuziQDined on 8/17/2014It was a nice restaurant to eat outside; middle of Uptown. However, they were out of almost everything when we went on a Sunday afternoon. Then after being told we could order from the happy hour menu, when the bill came we were told that happy hour ended a few hours ago and were charged full price. Had we known, we wouldn't have ordered so much. I thought the dinner was lovely, they brought the food out to us hot; waiter was great! Friendly. However, didn't think a meal between 2 people should have been $65.Special Features:
- Drinks were good...food was fairLMCRDined on 8/16/2014I thought the service was great. The food was over salted and not very original. My dinning partners indicated to me that this was their 5th visit and felt the food has gotten poor over time.Special Features:
- FoodiemomVIPDined on 8/16/2014We were very disappointed with the food. Everything was too salty and unimaginative. The menu was limited, especially for me because I'm gluten free. We will not be returning. Also, when you open all the windows and it's a warm humid night, the temperature becomes quite uncomfortable inside. Think about putting in large ceiling fans or closing the windows.Special Features:
- Once again, disappointed in serviceSlowserviceDined on 8/16/2014I have dined here a handful of times.... Everytime very disappointed in how long the service takes (ridiculous amount of time to get a beverages and food). I kept coming back in hope that service would be better/faster, but after dinner on Sat night, that will be my last time I visit this establishment. Our dinner took 2.5 hours which is ridiculous (esp when we were ready to order everytime our waitress came by).
- Thought about Coup D'EtatallmineDined on 8/16/2014Two friends and I went to Coup D'Etat on Saturday, the 16th. We ordered drinks. I wanted a Southern Comfort Old Fashioned and one of my friends wanted a J & B Scotch. The bar did not have either of these liquors. We opted for something else. One of my friends said her dinner was "o.k.". She has the beet salad and scallops. My other friend ordered the Sea Bass and said it was the worse Sea Bass she'd ever had. I ordered the polenta and the pork tenderloin. The pork was o.k. but quite ordinary. The ploenta was so salty I could hardly eat it. Needless to say we will never be dining at Coup D'Etat again. The guys manning the valet stand were terrific.Special Features:
- Not as good as the first timehappybellyDined on 8/16/2014The food has gone downhill since it opened. Our first meal was fabulous. This time, no so much. Our scallops were over salted and the beet salad was inedible. The fish and chips came with a few overcooked slices of potato - not really "chips" in my mind, but the fish was good. Not sure we're going back.Special Features: