2923 Girard Ave S
Minneapolis, MN 55408Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://coupdetatmpls.com/
- Phone: (612) 354-3575
- Hours of Operation:
Happy Hour Daily: 5PM-7PM and 10PM-12AM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Mediterranean, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Nick O'Leary, Tyler Shipton
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Coup D'etat offers a gorgeous private dining room complete with a fireplace, 19 foot ceilings, and gorgeous artwork. This spacious area, separate from the main dining room is perfect for dinner parties, corporates outings, holiday parties or whatever your needs may be!
- Private Party Contact: Marissa Merchant 6125627054x
- Cross Street: Girard and Lagoon
- Public Transit: Located two blocks away from the Uptown Transit Center as well as the very close to the following stops:
1 - Lagoon Ave & Fremont Ave S
Stop ID: 42036
2 - Hennepin Ave & Lagoon Ave
Stop ID: 1323
3 - Lake St W & Girard Ave S
Stop ID: 50212
4 - Hennepin Ave S & Lagoon Ave
Stop ID: 1105
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet available for $8
Ramp parking is also available directly below our restaurant in the Walkway Parking Ramp, as well as across the street in the Mosaic Parking Ramp. Street parking can be tricky but is also an option.
A word from Coup D'Etat
A smart and stylish restaurant and bar. Coup D'etat is ideal for groups large and small, it offers a private dining room and throughout the restaurant there are lounge areas, tables, and booths for smaller groups. The food is approachable, modern, and contemporary. The cocktail program is equally smart with reinterpretations of classic drinks as well as new creations.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Coup D'Etat - Best Restaurants in Uptown ›
Coup D'Etat reviews from OpenTable diners
159 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (96)vibrant bar scene (77)hot spot (73)great for outdoor dining (61)good for groups (58)special occasion (54)neighborhood gem (50)romantic (30)late-night find (30)scenic view (15)notable wine list (9)great for brunch (6)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Great ambiancecahillc2Dined on 11/15/2014The restaurant layout was unique. Sitting on the second floor it was quiet and private enough for a date, but you could look down below and see the energy of the kitchen and bar. The menu is designed for the guest to select a few plates to share rather than an individual meal- however, that's how we ordered and it worked out well too! I got the beets first plate and the scallops entree and both were delicious! Ordering the scallops as my dinner, I would've liked more of a side to accompany the meal but I couldn't complain about the quality of what I got! I can't wait to go back and try some of the additional items on the menu, or sit at the bar and order a couple fancy cocktails!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ooooh la la!JNCDDined on 11/8/2014Awesome food. The butternut squash soup was so freaking good I cleaned my plate. Brussel sprouts amazing. The short rib and carrot purée had me purring. Tasted my friend's pork chop som so, so good! My friend said her drink was thumbs up. The only downside the cauliflower dish, too much going on and I didn't mix it up enough. All in all amazing food! Definitely a 5Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Dinner with Friends!MNMthDined on 11/5/2014Enjoyed our first visit to Coup D'Etat for dinner with friends! Excellent cocktails (loved "Fight for Your Right") and the First course selections were amazing! Recommend the Bone Marrow for a unique taste as well as the Beets and Beef Tartare. The Second courses were equally impressive; steaming mussels and Brussels sprouts with pork belly! For entrees, we ordered two each Scallops and Salmon; both were delicious but the flavor of the Scallops made it a winner! Unfortunately had to run to a show so didn't get to enjoy dessert, but we'll definitely be back! Great space, comfortable ambience, friendly service and a terrific bar area as well - enjoy!Special Features:
- delicious place in uptownsddinerDined on 11/1/2014Great food and service, and wide selection of interesting cocktails. Everything from beginning to end was delicious. We'll be back!Special Features:
- Great experienceJohnGDined on 10/25/2014We really enjoyed the food, wine and desert. Service was ok, but could have been better. Overall, great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy hourluvhpVIPDined on 10/24/2014Love the happy hour that goes until 7 and great food!!! The outside seating is nice and good for people watching. Love the food, there wasn't anything we ate that wasn't perfect. The squash soup is the best I have ever had!! Love this place. Will be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Top notch food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/23/2014I enjoyed a late night date during restaurant week at Coup d'Etat that was quite pleasant. The service could not have been better, the food came out quickly, each dish introduced, and a friendly, but not overbearing, waiter humored our enthusiastic requests.I would recommend this to a friend.
- food was good--- but awful serviceGregVIPDined on 10/23/2014We went to Coup for restaurant week on a Thursday night. It was pretty busy for a weeknight but not nearly full, so service should have been very good. The food was ok, but the service was awful! It took 10 minutes for our waitress to stop at our table even though she came past 4 or 5 times. We ordered wine, and she forgot the opener so we waited while she stopped at another table and then went downstairs to find one......she finally brought our food but never brought the extra sides until we were finished with our entrees. she had no apologies for any of the issues....we still gave a decent tip which i regret.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisapointingTomSVIPDined on 10/23/2014Looked forward to eating here and was let down. The flavor profiles were unusual and not in a good way. Nothing was bad, it just wasn't interesting. We had the chicken and the scallops and bland is the only word that comes to mind. The beet salad was OK though not memorable. It felt like being hip was more important than being good. I will say that the servers were very good and don't include them in the negativity of this review. Won't be back.
- Restaurant Week visitchezjoeyDined on 10/23/2014Really thought this place should have had better food for all the hype it has received. Food was good, but not exceptional.
- First time dinerNWALKDined on 10/22/2014My friend and I were immediately blown away by the ambiance. The decor is absolutely beautiful. The host who guided us to our seat and the server talked up the "outstanding service", said the food was out of this world and that coup d'état was "revolutionizing the restaurant industry". So we had high expectations. After we were seated and the server reviewed the menu... The service was just so-so. The food was mediocre. Not bad, but not great. The salmon tasted like what I could make at home. Cocktails and wines were good. We would probably come back for the ambiance, but the food/overall experience was disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful spaceJMFWDined on 10/21/2014I really enjoy this restaurant. The food is dynamic and beautifully presented. It's always a treat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great new Uptown addition~!MickieXDined on 10/21/2014We had a lovely meal, as usual. The noise level is not too good, but we were at the most 'quiet' place and it was o.k. Service was excellent~!Special Features:
- REstaurant week menuliketoeatDined on 10/21/2014We chose items off the restaurant week menu. We were not impressed. Soup was OK. Cauliflower was not good. Main course chicken was too salty. Veggies tasted very smoky and bland. Salmon was good, kale sauce was not and did not pair well with the salmon. Dessert was good. My daughter ordered a Coors light beer. It came to her in a can with no glass. We liked the look of the restaurant.
- Beautiful spaceWVUHammyDined on 10/20/2014Three of us went to Coup d'etat for restaurant week and all left satisfied. I ordered the butternut squash soup and agnolotti as the main course. Both were served fresh and tasty. The food was served in a very appealing way from servers who were prompt, knowledgeable and helpful. All three of us were very happy with our meals and will return again!Special Features:
- Very goodtlnwhDined on 10/20/2014Great new restaurant in Uptown. Well decorated, excellent food. We went during restaurant week so that we weren't able to get a complete picture, but I would absolutely return - mostly for a special occasion or happy hour as it may be slightly expensive. Parking isn't easy and their valet parking is $8.Special Features:
- Really awesomePeonyDined on 10/19/2014We were a bit fussy about table selection. Which can in a lot of places make wait staff and hostess irritated. Not here very accommodating. Our server was awesome attentive but not overly so. Checked back after we had had a few bites to see if food was okay. Not overbearing. We were there for restaurant week and were treated very well the food was presented and prepared to perfection. Soup fantastic cleverly presented. Overall a great experience would highly recommend and will return again. Restaurant week great opportunity to try new place without dropping ton of money first time and perhaps being disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice but noisyKarenDined on 10/18/2014A bit of an unusual new restaurant. Interesting décor and very large bar. A bit too noisy for us because we were planning a quiet dinner. Best for a younger crowd.Special Features:
- HappymauihawaiiDined on 10/17/2014I always enjoying trying new restaurants (new to me). I was very pleased with this restaurant! Excellent service! Squash pumpkin soup was vet good as week as the Short rib entree. I will go back!Special Features:
- KeroseneVIPDined on 10/13/2014We shared a few small plates, with the Moroccan Cauliflower coming out on top. The Gnocchi with Truffle Oil was too rich to finish; well-prepared but just too much. The Broccoli with apple strips and ham hocks was nice, but the cauliflower with sultana raisins won the day. They had a Butternut Squash Soup that was yummy, but the waiter neglected to say that it was served over creme fraiche when asked if it was dairy-free.Special Features:
- ShayDined on 10/11/2014Music was just a little to loud but over all great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOverpricedDined on 10/10/2014There we 3 of us and we each ordered something different. Everything was spot on perfect. The seasoning is just perfect. Loved everything.Special Features:
- Great PlaceFather63VIPDined on 10/7/2014We took a shot at eating here, not quite knowing what to expect. The food was spectacular. The service was perfect. And it was a place we will make sure to come to again and again. Keep up all the great parts of what you're doing and we'll be back!Special Features:
- Will be backRH2HAUGDined on 10/4/2014This place is beautiful! They payed attention to every detail when creating this space. Great food and even better drink menu. Get their version if the manhattan, delish!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool placeDoverproDined on 10/4/2014Food was very good although the lobster mushrooms were only 3, small and nothing to write home about. Scallops and Baked Chicken dinners were very good. Chicken rice mix exceptional. Service was very good with extra staff to refill water glasses, clear away dishes between courses. Limited menu but they try to do all food to high level. Get a seat around the balcony for people watching.Special Features:
- GerardDined on 9/30/2014Cocktails were terrific and not at all shy with the alcohol content:) Food was outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The worse service I've ever had!Mpls104VIPDined on 9/27/2014Due to the horrible service, we spent over two hours at the restaurant. We waited 20 minutes before the server came to the table, the manager stopped by and bought us a round of drinks (nice gesture but didn't make up for the wait), we ordered bone marrow for a table of four but was only given 3 pieces of bread, we asked for more but it took about 20 minutes and it was burned, after about an hour the server announced that he was about to put our order in and it would take over 30 minutes because the kitchen was backed due to two large parties. The food was good, but the service, or lack thereof, ruined the experience.
- Thank you dinner for familyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014Reserved a table for my family as a thank you dinner. We were seated right away. Server was fabulous & food delicious! Only negative comment I have is that it was a bit dark atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dining experience.Uptown4funDined on 9/26/2014We really enjoyed our evening. The food was creative and very delicious. Portions were perfect and food was beautifully displayed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Atmosphere...Slow ServiceTonyVIPDined on 9/26/2014I heard good things about Coup D'Etat so made a reservation for a group of 4. Dinner started off well. Our waitress was attentive and checked back with us as we were looking over the menu. We started with the roasted beets and and gnocchi for an appetizer. The were well prepared and were a nice way to start our meal. However, it took 45 minutes from the time we finished our appetizer to when we received our entrees. The meal was well presented but was only warm-ish when we got it. We then decided to order dessert. It was another 45 minutes before it arrived at our table. What was suppose to be a scoop of cherry sorbet that came with our chocolate cake came as a cherry puddle. It was completely melted when presented to us.Special Features:
- Dinner at Coup D'EtatEljohnDined on 9/23/2014This was our first time at Coup D'Etat and we had a wonderful time. The assortment of craft cocktails at the bar was excellent, I highly recommend the Parlor Old Fashioned. Both the dinner and the service were perfect. The menu is limited but the quality and the presentation were top notch. I will definitely be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thoughtful food and serviceswminnfoodsterDined on 9/21/2014We had the scallops and short ribs on a Sunday night on the patio. For being in Uptown it was actually quiet and romantic. The spices and preparations were interesting and done well. Our server Matt was wonderfully attentive. We tried this place because we had a coupon and I was prepared to be disappointed end but ended up rather impressed.Special Features:
- Young and hipTobyEatsVIPDined on 9/20/2014As a middle aged couple with 2 kids, we felt a little out of place amongst the 30-somethings at the bar. The food, service, and ambiance are great. It's really loud so it's hard to have any kind of meaningful conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/14/2014We had a wonderful experience at Coup D'Etat. Open Table was seamless and very helpful. Definitely would go again. Service was quick (we had a show to get to), staff was friendly, food was delicious. Eclectic taste in the 6 of us who ate there. Everyone was pleased with their drinks and meal.Special Features:
- Fun date night spot!RyanKyleMommyVIPDined on 9/13/2014My hubby and I went here for a date night on a Saturday night. We enjoyed a drink and appetizer at the fun bar prior to our 7:30 reservations. The cocktail list is seasonal and fun (pricey tho!) Our dinner table overlooked the main bar area which was really fun and had a New Orleans type feel. The food was excellent - with a special shout out to the gnocchi which was outstanding. Our server was sweet and helpful and very good at explaining the dishes. While it was certainly not a quiet, romantic type dinner we found the energetic vibe really fun - the upstairs bar has an awesome couch for pre or post dinner drinks too - we would return!Special Features:
- Something differentKelleyDined on 9/13/2014I went to Coup d'etat with a small group of friends. The ambiance was spectacular and our server was great... Very helpful in answering our dozens of questions. :-) The food was definitely well prepared and cooked with skill. I don't have a incredibly sophisticated pallette, so most of the food was new to me. You're not going to get a burger and fries here! :-) All in all an excellent experience. We would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MinneapolisDinerDined on 9/5/2014The service was really good until the food was delivered. Then I had to hunt down our server which took 35 minutes. Two out of three of us had to send our food back for being way too salty. It was inedible.Special Features:
- Non-hostile TakeoverxpditeVIPDined on 9/1/2014As an Uptown restaurant junky I'm always excited to see some fresh faces on the scene. Been to Coup D'Etat several times since it's opened and it's already become a favorite. Great menu selection, servers are friendly and knowledgeable and the food is fabulous. The second floor outside deck is the perfect spot to enjoy a beverage and watch the sunset... at least in the Summer!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/31/2014Agnolotti was good, with the speck and kale playing off the sauce; however, those ingredients overpowered the ingredients inside the Agnolotti. Bone marrow was subpar on both flavor and texture. Friendly and attentive staff. Ate at the bar and John was helpful and nice.Special Features:
- EXCELLENT find in uptownteamplayerVIPDined on 8/30/2014We were VERY impressed with the attentive and excellent service we received. The food and it's presentation was extraordinaire! The chandelier room off the back is so beautiful. It would be a perfect setting for any special occasion. We are excited to bring friends and sit at the upstairs table with the high-back chairs! This is definitely our most favorite restaurant now. It has class, ambiance and service that is outstanding and food that is exiting to the palate and the eyes.Special Features: