34 East 20th St.
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.countynyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 677-7771
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Wednesday: 11:00am - 10:00pm
Thursday - Friday: 11:00am - 11:00pm
Saturday: 11:30am - 11:00pm
Sunday: 11:30am - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Jon Feshan
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from County
County brings local, market fresh/seasonal ingredients and products to Gramercy/Flatiron. County uses local sources to bring the freshness to you. Our ingredients and products all come from local counties and local farmer’s markets. Our menus change seasonally and also will highlight local products when in season and available.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
County reviews from OpenTable diners
103 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (60)fit for foodies (59)great for lunch (22)good for groups (17)romantic (17)great for brunch (16)vibrant bar scene (13)special occasion (11)hot spot (11)notable wine list (10)late-night find (2)scenic view (2)Show More
- Don't Come If You're StarvingDrinksAreAlwaysWelcomeVIPDined on 11/8/2014Our noon brunch experience was odd from the start. After having been given the menu for 10 min, they swapped the menu with new entrees (to their credit, they agreed to serve the items listed previously). However, ordering from the old menu apparently led to a 1.5 hr wait for food (had we been told...). We were given a free app to hold us over (but had to ask for bread 2X, then separately for butter). By the time our salads came, my fried chicken was cold with 5 pieces of lettuce (my friend had to wait an additional 5 min for the identical salad). On top of it all, they did not automatically comp a portion of our meal (we had to wrangle it out of them) as our initial complaint to the manager was pretty much met with an "oh well."
- TammyDined on 11/7/2014Tables in front are relatively quiet but in back it is very noisy. Food is great and portions are very restrained...great for people who want quality over quantity.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVE THIS PLACE!!!CJinNYCDined on 11/6/2014Excellent food made with love! Been there many times. The food is consistently delicious and the service is warm and friendly. Great wine selection too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 59momVIPDined on 11/4/2014A client recommended and we enjoyed it. Food was good. Nothing super special , but a nice neighborhood find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Find - thanks Open TableJimMVIPDined on 11/2/2014Great space, quiet, perfect for a good conversation over a very nice meal. Wine selection was also nice. I was slightly annoyed by the waitress who kept interrupting us (and, I noticed, her other tables) to see if we were ready to order. It wouldn't stop me from going back, but a little training wouldn't hurt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- County - Food, Great. Service, eh.AlwaysUpperWestDined on 11/1/2014My first visit to County was Saturday night. It's a deceivingly small restaurant, so you are definitely packed in. We had an 8pm reservation. There was a party earlier that evening with about 40 people that ran late, and it seemed to have thrown service off. We were a party of 4. There was also a large dinner party there, probably about 20 people. Lots of excitement. Our server was very frazzled. While ordering, I also realized that I was looking at a lunch menu, not dinner. Slight differences. The food was very good. The ricotta with honey appetizer was delicious. I had the salmon - had a bit of a kick to it from some Serrano peppers I found, which were not on the menu. Would definitely come back, but hope service improves.Special Features:
- Always a winnerOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/31/2014I've been here twice with 2 different menus and both meals have been gold star meals. The drinks are spectacular too. Officially one of my go-to's for a great meal and awesome drinks with a very cool vibe. The staff is always friendly too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Limited menu, good mealOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/25/2014Relatively small offerings on the menu. Very small tables an tight seating. Due to a huge party dining in the back, we strategically each selected the simple chicken so our orders would come out on time & hot. We felt we had to accommodate the kitchen so our dinners could be worked around the large party. Would have loved to try the burger but we observed the "shoe string" potatoes were so thinly shred, that they would get cold very quickly and more like crispy potato match sticks. The our meal was good and modest portion. The chicken was good, but would not go rushing back as the prices we thought were about 30% higher than they warranted.Special Features:
- Great bartenderMixologyDined on 10/24/2014Bartender mixes drinks masterfully. You can tell that he really takes his job seriously.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MMMLMDined on 10/21/2014House made ricotta and salmon tartar not to be missed!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Me AgainAlwaysDiningOutVIPDined on 10/19/2014I went back (several times) and have not been disappointed. A real find. Food it creative without being over the top. Service is friendly and just plain fun. Deb creates a warm and friendly restaurant. Double kudos!Special Features:
- Slowww kitchen..gems6799Dined on 10/12/2014We went there for late Sunday Brunch and this place was not crowded at all. County had probably around 5-7 tables of 2 to 4 seating at the time we arrived. Tables are set up very close together. We felt a bit stuff with very little elbow room..Food service was okay but kitchen was very slow!! Go there ONLY if you have time to kill on Sunday otherwise look some place else. We definitely wasted close to 2 hrs for a simple brunch on a beautiful day..Speed of the kitchen need some work! Will not return!Special Features:
- $19 FrittataalyleeDined on 10/5/2014$19 for an egg white frittata --not worth it. The ambiance was nice, quaint. Just over priced, portion was small. When I called to ask about a brunch menu ( which was not on their website) the girl who answered seemed to be annoyed but promised to email me the brunch menu after service. She never did. There are alot of other places in NYC that can get away with charging me that for eggs, this just isnt one of those places. They did have plenty of seating available for sunday brunch.Special Features:
- Great food -- horrible noiseItalianLocavoreDined on 10/2/2014I go often to County for lunch- It's always been wonderful. When I took someone at night, the noise level was NOT energetic -- it was obnoxious. I am willing to try once more at night because I adore County, but I truly believe that when patrons are so loud that nearby tables are squelched into silence, the management should find a polite way to put a lid on it. Otherwise, it's just one more foodie place in NYCV where the arrogant are allowed to do as they please.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and servicePatKDined on 9/30/2014Really enjoyed the experience. Friendly staff, specialty drink menu had great selections. Food tasted great, presentation was fantastic!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KatherineKatblueDined on 9/26/2014A local fave. Sophisticated food Ina neighborhood surrounding. Friendly and efficient service. Great bartenderSpecial Features:
- Most EnjoyableAlwaysDiningOutVIPDined on 9/22/2014I eat out about 5 - 6 times a week on business and was not sure what to expect. I came on a recommendation and County (a bit confusing since "Country" closed) exceeded expectations. The food was great, interesting too. The service was very attentive even though the place was packed. The bartender was an artist so do not hesitate to stop there first. Over all, a 9.8 on a 10 point scale and really well priced as well. I will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- COUNTY2014Hamptons2014VIPDined on 9/19/2014My friends and I had an amazing dining experience and this is the 5th time I've been here with different groups of friends. We've consistently had good food and service. You get what you pay for and it's well worth it. The staff is professional and can't thank Debbie enough for the memorable experience. I highly recommend this jewel restaurant in the Gramery Park area. We promise to be back for more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OKOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/18/2014Food was generic, nothing memorable and pretty expensive. Will not return and do not recommend.
- Gem of a RestaurantFoodJunkie84Dined on 9/15/2014Two words, honey ricotta. If for no other reason go to this restaurant. Of course there are so many other reasons to do so. Food, service, ambiance. It has it all. Highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good find!MarkoVIPDined on 9/15/2014Was in NY on business and found County and had a very good experience. Salmon tartar was excellent as an appetizer and the sea bass was incredible. Nice ambience- energetic but no too loud. Would definitely recommend and look forward to my next visit to NY.Special Features:
- Small place, big thingsRazmatazDined on 9/14/2014The old saying of the best presents come in small boxes, comes to mind when describing this place. The ambiance and food was brilliant, service could be improved on but that's not to say it was the worst. It's conviniently located so traveling to and from places is easy. Deffinately recommended!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodrls305VIPDined on 9/7/2014Comfortable new restaraunt. Nice looking inside. I had the sausage for brunch, very good. Plan on going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rustic Flatiron EataryRBallDined on 9/6/2014County has a very cool, rustic-chic ambiance that feels a bit like an extension of Restoration Hardware. The atmosphere and service were exceptional --- Hannah the waitress was superb. The food was good, affordable, but nothing to write home about. If you are looking for a trendy, inexpensive, and consistent meal in Flatiron with a great cocktail menu, add County to your list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My First Five StarOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/6/2014All dishes we ordered were well made and delicious. Service was impressive. Plates were hot when brought to the table. It's a highend restaurant with average price. It deserves my first five star.Special Features:
- Needs to get their act togetherPrettyarlVIPDined on 9/6/2014I went there with a friend for brunch. I ordered the dish with 3 eggs and bacon. I requested a salad instead of potatoes and the request was graciously accommodated. The eggs and the salad arrived at my table sprinkled with cracked black pepper...I am allergic to cracked black pepper! Since I have NEVER experienced eggs coming from the kitchen with the pepper already on them, I was quite surprised. Everything had to be sent back to be redone. In all this confusion, I had not noticed that the plate with the peppered eggs came out missing the bacon. When I was eating the 2nd version of the eggs, I noticed that the bacon was missing. I told the waiter. By the time it came out of the kitchen, I was finished eating the eggs.
- Lovely Food/Not so Lovely Service4FoodiesDined on 9/5/2014Delicious food, poor service. We had an inexperienced, unfriendly waitress, then another waiter took our order. We received appetizer in a timely manner but waited a while for entrees. We asked the 2nd waiter who said (in an unfriendly way) that he wasn't our waiter! We finally had delicious meal but had to ask about a second round of drinks. When the waiter who said he wasn't our waiter was leaving for the night, he introduced us to another waitress whom he said would help us. She never came back! The initial, more inexperienced waitress did (by that time she was friendlier). When the hostess called to confirm, she noted that we were celebrating 2 birthdays, but when we were there, no one remembered or did anything special for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good finddinosaursbecomeextinctDined on 9/5/2014Will go back - need to try other dishes too. Some dishes were surprisingly more spicy than I expected/ wanted - but they seem accomodating and now that I know, I'll ask...Special Features:
- Reliable - Great Service and MenuzaibotDined on 8/29/2014I absolutely love County. The menu is creative and the cocktails are delicious. You must try the ricotta spread as an appetizer and the bread pudding for dessert! They are truly outstanding. I really enjoyed my main course as well. I had the Ricotta Cavatelli which was rich and flavorful. This time, I only gave 4 stars for service because they forgot my husband's fries with his order, otherwise I would have given service 5 stars. I have been here many times without incident so I don't think this is anything to worry about.Special Features:
- Early dinnerCtkathy1Dined on 8/21/2014Very enjoyable early dinner. My salad with shrimp was excellent. I would return if I was in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dinner spot in Gramercy!AlexRaeVIPDined on 8/19/2014Great cocktails, delicious menu and fun ambiance. The ricotta with mint and honey appetizer is AMAZING!Special Features:
- Exceeding ExpectationsdeezertVIPDined on 8/19/2014I chose this restaurant based on its location on being near a show I was attending later in the evening. I read all the reviews prior to going and looked at the menu. I have to say that this restaurant was PURE AMAZING! I went w 5 girls and we were all equally really happy with my selection. I would highly recommend it!! We had every appetizer and one was better than the next. YUM!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/18/2014Came here with friends visiting from Oregon. It's a lovely space. Combination of modern and country chic. We shared a Barbera wine which was smooth and delicious. Our friends had been noshing all day, so we skipped the appetizers and went straight for the entrees. We ordered Wild Striped Bass, Roasted Pork Belly, Ricotta Cavatelli and Grilled Salmon. Everything was incredibly fresh and well seasoned. I had the striped bass which came with a lime onion puree, roasted cauliflower, pistachios and a sunflower seed vinegrette. It was so yummy, I left nothing on my plate. For dessert we shared the Creme Brulee and a Bourbon Bread Pudding that was out of this world. The best bread pudding I've ever had. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- Second visit equally impressedMJP60VIPDined on 8/13/2014This place is just great. GREAT food, atmosphere and really amazing place...had the best server could not have been a better night.Special Features:
- emptyNancyVIPDined on 8/11/2014the restaurant was empty but nice and quiet. The waiter was the only person in the entire restaurant. Did not get our bread when we were seated. Had to wait for him to come around. food was just ok nothing specialSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Owner Makes for Special ExperienceCooperplus2VIPDined on 8/10/2014The owner of this restaurant is the best! She makes the experience! The staff is good and the food is great, but her special touches are what makes this restaurant one of my new favorites. She is kind, welcoming and truly interested in making your experience positive and unique. In terms of food, the ricotta was delicious and our favorite. Our brunch items, chicken sandwich and eggs and bacon were also good. The wine and cocktail options are great for brunch.Special Features:
- Always a great experience at CountyDanNYCVIPDined on 8/8/2014The first time I heard about County I assumed it would be a nice and comforting experience. HAPPILY I was right. The good is unique without being over the top. The service is pleasant and never rushed. While all food is pretty great, DO NOT MISS THE RICOTTA AND HONEY APPETIZER.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findquiltjane1VIPDined on 8/8/2014What a great find! The food was fantastic! The fresh ricotta appetizer was wonderful, as was the salmon tartar. All of our entree's were amazing. Wanted to eat someplace close to our son's apt and we came across County, so glad we did, it was the best meal we had in the city all week. My only complaint is they really need to use a regular martini glass, and not those dinky little things they use. Other than that, Perfect!Special Features:
- Good food and ambienceRoblikestoeatDined on 8/7/2014The food was excellent and fresh. I went there on a date and it was both our first times eating there. We could not have been more pleased with the quality of the food and the design of the restaurant - they really nailed the rustic yet clean aesthetic. Great spot and would go there again.Special Features:
- Great second dinnerKnitterVIPDined on 8/6/2014We found County on a cold snowy night last winter,when the chef had just started there.Menu was small,but the food delicious. Last week, we had another great meal,love the enlarged menu. Both the tuna tartare and the salmon apps were amazing, but the striped bass stole the show, so many interesting flavors in one dish, the fish had mint stuffed inside, pepitas on top, accompanied by baby cauliflower in various hues, with a puree and a lime reduction, Outstanding. Brownie dessert is a must. I think the drinks, both martinis and wine by the glass are skimpy for the price charged, but would not keep us from going back.Special Features: