490 Pacific Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94133Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cotognasf.com/
- Phone: (415) 775-8508
- Hours of Operation:
Cotogna is open for continuous service
Monday - Thursday from 11:30am - 11:00pm and
Friday and Saturday from 11:30am - 12:00am
Sunday Supper is served from 5:00pm - 9:30pm
Please note on Sunday we serve our 4 course Sunday supper menu and the regular a la carte menu is not available.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Pizzeria
- Executive Chef: Michael Tusk
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Cotogna offers offsite catering for parties of 10-100! Please contact email@example.com to learn more.
- Cross Street: Montgomery
- Public Transit: The Muni bus lines 1 California, 30 Stockton, 10 Townsend and 12 Folsom all stop within a block or two of Cotogna. The closest Bart stop, Montgomery Station, is a 10 minute walk.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet parking is available in the evenings at the front entrance of the restaurant for $12 per standard sized vehicle.
A word from Cotogna
Located in the heart of San Francisco’s historic Jackson Square neighborhood, Cotogna is a lively, comfortably-stylish restaurant featuring rustic Italian cuisine. Adjoining Quince, Lindsay and Chef Michael Tusk’s celebrated fine dining restaurant, Cotogna (meaning ‘quince’ in Italian), offers a seasonally-changing menu featuring spit-roasted or grilled meats and game birds, wood-oven pizzas, house-made pastas, fresh local seafood, salads, salumi and cheeses. A sophisticated, seasonal cocktail program features innovative cocktails, while the approachable wine program (all bottles for $50 and all glasses for $12) focuses on Northern Italian varieties.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cotogna reviews from OpenTable diners
166 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (108)neighborhood gem (71)great for lunch (47)hot spot (47)special occasion (42)notable wine list (41)romantic (33)good for groups (23)great for brunch (16)late-night find (15)great for outdoor dining (9)kid-friendly (6)vibrant bar scene (3)Show More
- Sunday SupperOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 11/23/2014Service was poor. Runner put his thumb into my soup and our pastas were cold. Only gave us part of the dinner we asked to have wrapped up. Usually enjoy dining here but this was disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Don't go expecting to get full.DinnerbellDined on 11/18/2014We were very excited to try this place after seeing it listed as a top restaurant in SF. We each ordered a pasta dish but when it arrived, we were very disappointed to see a 1/3 sized portion on our plates. The raviolo was delicious but it wasn't enough :(.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We think this place is great.DickSFDined on 11/15/2014We love Cotogna for sophisticated Italian food, authentic and always well-prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overall - great experiencecaitlinsfVIPDined on 11/13/2014We really enjoyed the dinner, wine and service here! The fresh pasta was delicious, and our server was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExceptionalSpankyVIPDined on 11/10/2014An ever evolving menu starts with exceptional local ingredients, creatively curated, prepared, and presented, but never over reaching. An intimate, beautiful interior, and attentive, friendly staff completes the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty disappointingJEFKDined on 11/9/2014We did the Sunday night dinner Prix Fix menu. The first two course were lovely - we particularly like the beautiful ravioli with a delicate mushroom broth. Unfortunately, the final two courses were mediocre at best. The short rib stew was a bit greasy, chewy and salty! I like salt, and it was too much for me. The ricotta tart was dry and mealy- just an unpleasant bite. We were very disappointed because we had heard such great things about this restaurant. Maybe they just had an off night, but with so many fantstic restaurants in San Francisco to chose from, I don't think we will go back there on our next visit.
- less than impressedJonnyDined on 11/7/2014Cotogna lets you know they don't need your business. Strange for a restaurant that starts emptying out at 9/9:30
- wonderful experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/4/2014minimal industrial chic design, great atmosphere with creative and very tasty dishes! LOVED it! Will come back for more foccacia rolls:-).Special Features:
- Good foodeatsfVIPDined on 11/3/2014Tasty food but had to have many of the menu items explained as descriptions were in Italian. Tables for 2 were really close together. Listened to neighbors' conversation all during lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- much hyped italianfinnishcustomerDined on 10/31/2014Supposed to be the hottest Italian in town Cotogna is in reality a quite ordinary restaurant serving Italian food. The soup was tasty, the pumpkin special totally tasteless. The pasta (venison bolognese) was good, not outstanding. The restaurant was the noisiest I've been in 2 years.Special Features:
- Great food...service hit or missBrealityroxDined on 10/30/2014I've eaten at this restaurant twice and both times food was exquisite, while service fell flat. I understand the "A" team is not always scheduled for lunch but of the 3 servers I saw on the floor, 2 were attentive ours was not. Once a meal is set on the table it's really important to check back especially if the pizza needs a pinch of salt or a little grind of fresh pepper. Eye contact and antipating guests needs are 2 qualities every server should understandSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!!GoodFoodAndOpenTableFanVIPDined on 10/26/2014Sunday night supper was fantastic. The chestnut soup was delicious; the pasta was melt-in-your-mouth awesome; the beef was perfectly cooked and seasoned; and the cheese plate was quite tasty. I would go back in a heartbeat!Special Features:
- Surprised meHotspotDined on 10/26/2014Many of you have already found that getting a table at Cotogna is not easy. A friend and I stepped out for the Sunday prefix menu and were not disappointed. The wine pairing is affordable and well worth the investment. My one complaint was the lack of attention by the wait staff at the end of the evening. Just as we were finishing our meal the lights go from romantic to very bright and incomes Kim K and Kanye West. As the they sit down at a table near us the lights go back to the previous setting. At this point our Panna Cotta is delivered without the wine pairing which doesn't show up for 10 minutes only because I finally get the staff's attention. Being a hot spot should imply that the staff can handle being around celebs.Special Features:
- Authentic, Progressive ItalianDJK1VIPDined on 10/23/2014Fresh burrata, house made pastas, and quality meats come together with simple ingredients in a hip, intimate setting for an outstanding experience that doesn't break the bank. The all Italian wine list is simplified by offering a good range of wines all at $50/btl with most also available by the glass for $12, poured table side following an opportunity to sample. Another more traditional list offers bottles at fairly reasonable prices. The wine list from sibling restaurant Quince next door may also be requested. Having tried several wines by the glass, they are excellent quality and very menu appropriate. For those familiar with the Philadelphia dining scene, the restaurant is akin to a cross between Osteria and Little Nonna's. Great stuff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food Delicious, but NOISY!RPaulHVIPDined on 10/20/2014The food is always a treat here: fresh, and specially tuned to the latest seasons. But the NOISE is overwhelming, leaving you to admire your fund but not your meal partners.
- Good but not Greatjvs90042Dined on 10/19/2014We've eaten at Cotogna before and had some terrific food. But we ended up going on a Sunday this time for their set menu. It was quite a letdown. While the food was good, it was really nothing special. And the wine pairings were a bit of a joke -- three sips and you had pretty much emptied your glass. And the wines served, while tasty, were clearly lower end wines. So high cost for a merely good meal means we'll never return on a Sunday. Snag a reservation during the week and have some great food -- but avoid their Sunday supper.
- The food & ambiance was incredibleOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/19/2014The only slightly annoying part of the evening was that the waiter and bus boy didn't seem to read cues and there were a few times they tried to remove plates while we were talking (We weren't finished. ) In fact the first course was pulled away before I was finished but I didn't notice until the bus boy was already far from the table.Special Features:
- Sunday SupperFioriDined on 10/19/2014A wonderful four course menu for early autumn. The pumpkin ravioli and organic chicken stuffed with porcini mushrooms were delicious, and the Italian wine list is perfectly matched to food. Bravo!Special Features:
- Great for super after 42nd st moonMariabVIPDined on 10/17/2014LOvely porchetta and crudo as a first course. Delicious martini, A nice evening even though it was very late.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely will go backChicagoJayneVIPDined on 10/16/2014Great little restaurant. Super fresh produce & delicate fresh pasta. Definitely going back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great space and foodOldad41Dined on 10/16/2014Comfortable, casual and fun environment. Efficient, friendly service. Server was knowledgeable about food and wine. All of the food was delicious. Many of the portions were large enough to split and they make it easy with frequent clean plate changes and utensils and serving pieces. When in San Fransisco again will come back. This was the best pasta we had in the city.Special Features:
- Like being in ItalyMartieDined on 10/15/2014We shared everything. There were 4 of us so we all came away with wanting to go back ASAP. Service food atmosphere wonderful. Pasta dishes out of this world. Very fairly priced. We will be back soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The service was so sogoumetcitadinoDined on 10/12/2014Food was fair...we had a Fixe Price dinner consisting in 4 course. The service was not good at all, the waiter tried to push additional items on the menu....This is part of the dining experience.Special Features:
- Sunday supperK9tankVIPDined on 10/12/2014Having eaten here many time, I would not recommended the pre-fixed Sunday menu. Our food was cold, veal dry and overdone.Special Features:
- Should not be a sf gate top 100CandgDined on 10/12/2014I have eaten at several Bay Area top 100 restaurants. This should not be on the list. The set menu on Sunday nights is a good concept. Ours was not that well thought in terms of the main. Since the cooking time cannot be coordinated with all the main sat in the warmer and continued to over cook. It was the veal cutlet course which was extremely dry along with the dry potatoes and greens that were so so. Then the not so flavored dessert course, rice porridgeSpecial Features:
- Great dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/8/2014We really enjoyed our dinner @ Cotogna. The service was great & the food delicious. I had 2 of the pasta dishes & thought they were both fantastic!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!SharonDined on 10/8/2014I took my friend here for her birthday. It was a late lunch on a weekday, that's why I can't accurately comment on the noise level, but the food was amazing and our server was great. It would absolutely go back there again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too little food for the priceLuv2trynewonesDined on 9/30/2014We were excited to try this new hot spot but disappointed when we left. Petrale sole came with barely any fish and a few charred greens. At $23 is was severely lacking in portion. Same with the pumpkin tortellini. 5 of the smallest pieces of pasta I have ever seen. While tasty, the portion was unacceptable. For these entre prices, you shouldn't also have to pay for bread. This looked like a nice place, decor was warm, staff was nice but the quantity of food for the money was severely lacking. We went down the street and had to split a burger at Old Shop Saloon just to get a full dinner in.Special Features:
- Love this place!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/28/2014Great room, good vibe, terrific knowledgable service...and the food is the main event. Pizza and everything from the wood burning oven is terrific; and don't miss the homemade pasta. A perfect, casual place with exceptional food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday SupperluckymeDined on 9/28/2014I've eaten at Cotogna for lunch, dinner and now Sunday supper. All have been thoroughly enjoyable. The highlight on Sunday was the Seafood salad. The black rice was al dente, with a briny saltiness that went beautifully with the seafood paired with a dry sparkling rose. Fabulous. The rest of the courses were all very good, but it is the Insalata di Mare that I will dream about.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Major flavorsLeslieinSFDined on 9/25/2014I could not believe how difficult it was to get a reservation to this restaurant. I tried one month and one day in advance of when I wanted to go, but couldn't reserve that far out--the next day, I tried again and could only get a reservation for two at 5:15. Everything else was gone. So obviously my expectations were high. At first, the service was a bit uneven. It took more than 30 minutes after we were seated to place an order with someone. However, the food arrived quickly and was exquisite and full of flavor. The wines were perfection and the server was able to give excellent recommendations. I made another reservation on my way out the door.Special Features:
- HorribleOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/24/20141) soup was cold 2) food wasn't good 3) plates weren't clean 4) asked for bday accommodations and got a candle Went their based on experience at quince
- Sunday Supper Not to be MissedJeanne222Dined on 9/21/2014We've been intrigued by Cotogna's Sunday Supper menus for a long time and we finally decided to make the trip up to the city last Sunday to give it a try. It was delightful--a wonderful menu and such a bargain for $50 each. Everything, from the lovely salad with baby radishes topped with startling bright green nettle concoctions, the tender ricotta pasta drenched in butter, the delicious trout almondine, to the warm apple fritters, was outstanding. We definitely will be making a return visit.Special Features:
- Good but loudfff1985Dined on 9/19/2014Food is good but the place is very loud and it makes earring difficult. Wine was ok but quite pricy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/19/2014Nice off the main path delicious dining experience. Perfect for a business or casual friends lunch.Special Features:
- serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 9/15/2014The waitress we had was not that engaging, seemed to be somewhat annoyed by requests. The other waitress who sometimes came over to our table was fantastic. Food was amazing but a bit disapointed in the specific waitress we had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/3/2014Not a pretentious place but still very special. The chef is doing very inventive things and the food was excellent. Young, crowded, energetic -- what they are trying for and it works beautifully because of the sophistication of the food, service and wine.Special Features:
- loud35foreverDined on 9/2/2014The food was superb! The servings were just right - plentiful. It was a good thing that the food was delicious because it was difficult to have a conversation. It seemed like everyone was using their outside voices.Special Features:
- LOVE IT!!!!MadamePDined on 8/31/2014great place.. our first visit .. we'll be sure to return.. had the tasting menu-- I needed a vegetarian option .. and the veggies were a bit scarce but besides that everything tasted fabulous!!Special Features:
- Again, the bestOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/30/2014SF favorite yet again. Fried chicken is worth the calories. Cannot wait to go back.Special Features: