490 Pacific Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94133Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cotognasf.com/
- Phone: 4157758508x
- Hours of Operation:
Cotogna is open for continuous service
Monday - Thursday from 11:30am - 11:00pm and
Friday and Saturday from 11:30am - 12:00am
Sunday Supper is served from 5:00pm - 9:30pm
Please note on Sunday we serve our 4 course Sunday supper menu and the regular a la carte menu is not available.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Pizzeria
- Executive Chef: Michael Tusk
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Cotogna offers offsite catering for parties of 10-100! Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.
- Cross Street: Montgomery
- Public Transit: The Muni bus lines 1 California, 30 Stockton, 10 Townsend and 12 Folsom all stop within a block or two of Cotogna. The closest Bart stop, Montgomery Station, is a 10 minute walk.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet parking is available in the evenings at the front entrance of the restaurant for $12 per standard sized vehicle.
A word from Cotogna
Located in the heart of San Francisco’s historic Jackson Square neighborhood, Cotogna is a lively, comfortably-stylish restaurant featuring rustic Italian cuisine. Adjoining Quince, Lindsay and Chef Michael Tusk’s celebrated fine dining restaurant, Cotogna (meaning ‘quince’ in Italian), offers a seasonally-changing menu featuring spit-roasted or grilled meats and game birds, wood-oven pizzas, house-made pastas, fresh local seafood, salads, salumi and cheeses. A sophisticated, seasonal cocktail program features innovative cocktails, while the approachable wine program (all bottles for $50 and all glasses for $12) focuses on Northern Italian varieties.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cotogna reviews from OpenTable diners
180 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (114)neighborhood gem (77)great for lunch (53)hot spot (50)special occasion (47)notable wine list (45)romantic (32)good for groups (18)great for brunch (18)great for outdoor dining (12)late-night find (11)kid-friendly (7)vibrant bar scene (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- Good but not GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/19/2014We've eaten at Cotogna before and had some terrific food. But we ended up going on a Sunday this time for their set menu. It was quite a letdown. While the food was good, it was really nothing special. And the wine pairings were a bit of a joke -- three sips and you had pretty much emptied your glass. And the wines served, while tasty, were clearly lower end wines. So high cost for a merely good meal means we'll never return on a Sunday. Snag a reservation during the week and have some great food -- but avoid their Sunday supper.
- The food & ambiance was incredibleOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/19/2014The only slightly annoying part of the evening was that the waiter and bus boy didn't seem to read cues and there were a few times they tried to remove plates while we were talking (We weren't finished. ) In fact the first course was pulled away before I was finished but I didn't notice until the bus boy was already far from the table.Special Features:
- Sunday SupperFioriDined on 10/19/2014A wonderful four course menu for early autumn. The pumpkin ravioli and organic chicken stuffed with porcini mushrooms were delicious, and the Italian wine list is perfectly matched to food. Bravo!Special Features:
- Great for super after 42nd st moonMariabVIPDined on 10/17/2014LOvely porchetta and crudo as a first course. Delicious martini, A nice evening even though it was very late.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely will go backChicagoJayneVIPDined on 10/16/2014Great little restaurant. Super fresh produce & delicate fresh pasta. Definitely going back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great space and foodOldad41Dined on 10/16/2014Comfortable, casual and fun environment. Efficient, friendly service. Server was knowledgeable about food and wine. All of the food was delicious. Many of the portions were large enough to split and they make it easy with frequent clean plate changes and utensils and serving pieces. When in San Fransisco again will come back. This was the best pasta we had in the city.Special Features:
- The service was so sogoumetcitadinoDined on 10/12/2014Food was fair...we had a Fixe Price dinner consisting in 4 course. The service was not good at all, the waiter tried to push additional items on the menu....This is part of the dining experience.Special Features:
- Sunday supperK9tankVIPDined on 10/12/2014Having eaten here many time, I would not recommended the pre-fixed Sunday menu. Our food was cold, veal dry and overdone.Special Features:
- Should not be a sf gate top 100CandgDined on 10/12/2014I have eaten at several Bay Area top 100 restaurants. This should not be on the list. The set menu on Sunday nights is a good concept. Ours was not that well thought in terms of the main. Since the cooking time cannot be coordinated with all the main sat in the warmer and continued to over cook. It was the veal cutlet course which was extremely dry along with the dry potatoes and greens that were so so. Then the not so flavored dessert course, rice porridgeSpecial Features:
- Great dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/8/2014We really enjoyed our dinner @ Cotogna. The service was great & the food delicious. I had 2 of the pasta dishes & thought they were both fantastic!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!SharonDined on 10/8/2014I took my friend here for her birthday. It was a late lunch on a weekday, that's why I can't accurately comment on the noise level, but the food was amazing and our server was great. It would absolutely go back there again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too little food for the priceLuv2trynewonesDined on 9/30/2014We were excited to try this new hot spot but disappointed when we left. Petrale sole came with barely any fish and a few charred greens. At $23 is was severely lacking in portion. Same with the pumpkin tortellini. 5 of the smallest pieces of pasta I have ever seen. While tasty, the portion was unacceptable. For these entre prices, you shouldn't also have to pay for bread. This looked like a nice place, decor was warm, staff was nice but the quantity of food for the money was severely lacking. We went down the street and had to split a burger at Old Shop Saloon just to get a full dinner in.Special Features:
- Love this place!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/28/2014Great room, good vibe, terrific knowledgable service...and the food is the main event. Pizza and everything from the wood burning oven is terrific; and don't miss the homemade pasta. A perfect, casual place with exceptional food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sunday SupperluckymeDined on 9/28/2014I've eaten at Cotogna for lunch, dinner and now Sunday supper. All have been thoroughly enjoyable. The highlight on Sunday was the Seafood salad. The black rice was al dente, with a briny saltiness that went beautifully with the seafood paired with a dry sparkling rose. Fabulous. The rest of the courses were all very good, but it is the Insalata di Mare that I will dream about.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Major flavorsLeslieinSFDined on 9/25/2014I could not believe how difficult it was to get a reservation to this restaurant. I tried one month and one day in advance of when I wanted to go, but couldn't reserve that far out--the next day, I tried again and could only get a reservation for two at 5:15. Everything else was gone. So obviously my expectations were high. At first, the service was a bit uneven. It took more than 30 minutes after we were seated to place an order with someone. However, the food arrived quickly and was exquisite and full of flavor. The wines were perfection and the server was able to give excellent recommendations. I made another reservation on my way out the door.Special Features:
- HorribleOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/24/20141) soup was cold 2) food wasn't good 3) plates weren't clean 4) asked for bday accommodations and got a candle Went their based on experience at quince
- Sunday Supper Not to be MissedJeanne222Dined on 9/21/2014We've been intrigued by Cotogna's Sunday Supper menus for a long time and we finally decided to make the trip up to the city last Sunday to give it a try. It was delightful--a wonderful menu and such a bargain for $50 each. Everything, from the lovely salad with baby radishes topped with startling bright green nettle concoctions, the tender ricotta pasta drenched in butter, the delicious trout almondine, to the warm apple fritters, was outstanding. We definitely will be making a return visit.Special Features:
- Good but loudfff1985Dined on 9/19/2014Food is good but the place is very loud and it makes earring difficult. Wine was ok but quite pricy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/19/2014Nice off the main path delicious dining experience. Perfect for a business or casual friends lunch.Special Features:
- serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 9/15/2014The waitress we had was not that engaging, seemed to be somewhat annoyed by requests. The other waitress who sometimes came over to our table was fantastic. Food was amazing but a bit disapointed in the specific waitress we had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/3/2014Not a pretentious place but still very special. The chef is doing very inventive things and the food was excellent. Young, crowded, energetic -- what they are trying for and it works beautifully because of the sophistication of the food, service and wine.Special Features:
- loud35foreverDined on 9/2/2014The food was superb! The servings were just right - plentiful. It was a good thing that the food was delicious because it was difficult to have a conversation. It seemed like everyone was using their outside voices.Special Features:
- LOVE IT!!!!MadamePDined on 8/31/2014great place.. our first visit .. we'll be sure to return.. had the tasting menu-- I needed a vegetarian option .. and the veggies were a bit scarce but besides that everything tasted fabulous!!Special Features:
- Again, the bestOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/30/2014SF favorite yet again. Fried chicken is worth the calories. Cannot wait to go back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/28/2014Very good pasta dishes, extremely slow service, nice environment. Overrated and not in the top 10 Italian places in the City.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014we had a nice time but the service was very slow for a wed lunch.Special Features:
- Great Dining ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/24/2014We can to Cotogna for the Sunday Supper and it was fantastic! The atmosphere is nice and cozy, and the food was outstanding. I'd highly recommend this restaurant and will be going back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stay away from the Pre menuPauloVIPDined on 8/24/2014We have eaten at this restaurant many times and were always pleased with it. We were surprised we were able to get a reservation on open table for Sunday. We soon found out when we got there that they have a pre fixed menu. First, since there are few choices with this type of menu, service should be fast. It was the exact opposite. Very slow! The corn chowder was very good and the stuffed past shells were good. However, the ribs and fried chicken were marginal and I would not go to an Italian restaurant to eat that kind of food. The desert which was a cream puff type stuffed with ice cream was also marginal. It was also very expensive. I will go back again but not for the pre menu.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Looking forward to a return.YummDined on 8/22/2014The staff was seriously attentive. The salad, pastas, desserts and wine were excellent. Best tiramisu ever!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eats4meDined on 8/20/2014Great restaurant with wonderful service. Loved the fried green tomatoes with burrata and the delicious tasty rolls. Pork ravioli also excellent although the pasta dishes were all on the small side. Pizza was good as well. The restaurant was lively and a bit loud but you could still have a conversation. Excellent service, great wait staff.Special Features:
- Is there a new chef at Cotogna??marinfoodieDined on 8/19/2014I have to be perfectly honest... My meal at Cotogna last week was not spectacular. I ordered the prawns with beets and spinach for my main course, and while it was good, I wouldn't describe it as delicious. And the fried green tomatoes I ordered as a starter were completely uneventful. My friend actually sent her order back. The breading on the tomatoes was heavy and flavorless. If the chef had used rice flour and/or a beer batter to create a lighter, crisper coating, and maybe a little lemon to bring out the flavor, this would have been a satisfying, tasty summer dish. Instead I was left wondering what to do with it. I still like the ambiance, the wine and the location, but I expect more from this restaurant.Special Features:
- Was Expecting So Much MoreClosebutnocandleDined on 8/17/2014I surprised my girlfriend with Cotogna's Sunday Supper for her birthday. We were both very excited upon our arrival. Days before our reservation, I thought to make our visit more magical by sending an email to Cotogna. I found their contact email on their website. I wrote a nice email, quite non-demanding, very humble, requesting maybe a candle, a written expression, possibly a table visit from the chef, any token to mark the occasion. Unfortunately, nothing happened for us. The email was clearly forgotten about or ignored. I felt so bad seeing others with candles on their tiramisu. I also didn't like, upon leaving, having to step gingerly around strollers and over a child playing and sprawled on the floor after our $300 meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trust the prosCMillerSFDined on 8/15/2014We let our server Jason select our entire food and wine selection based on a couple comments from our group...couldn't have been better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SusanDined on 8/15/2014Only liked the pork belly ravioli didn't deliver for the price
- A terrible experiencecaliforniandyDined on 8/14/2014Something has gone very badly wrong at this restaurant. The food used to be very good. This time it was verging on inedible. Have the chef and the kitchen brigade all departed? Pastas were very poor, and had no resemblance to their Italian originals. Pizza had gobs of improperly melted and low quality cheese on it. Wine list, which had been a good value at $40 a bottle is now full of overpriced wines at $50. Server needed three reminders to bring our bread order and it arrived too late. And with only a handful of tables to look after, she rarely put in an appearance. To top it off they were 25 minutes late seating us. We all felt ripped off. Avoid. A sad decline.
- Worth the Wait?DoctorDineVIPDined on 8/12/2014I took clients to Cotogna on a Tuesday night. We had Open Table reservations for five people at 7:45 pm but didn't get seated until 8:35 pm. The hostess was nice and bought us an appetizer but there isn't much space at the restaurant to mingle with five people (it is fairly small with one room, a small bar, and some sidewalk tables). The place was obviously full with great energy but that same energy created a very loud dining environment. In the end, the food, including the pasta and pizza was very good and my clients had a nice time. I wish the wine list was more inviting - too many very high priced California wines. We have so much great wine in California, a restaurant of this type should be offering more lower priced wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A sumptuous mealgutchybowlVIPDined on 8/12/2014The meal was delightful and the service was excellent. There were new seasonal items on the menu and everything we ordered was lovely. If the weather is good, dining outside can be nice, but the bus and construction traffic can bring sporadic noise.Special Features:
- Absolutely Outstanding2forever1VIPDined on 8/11/2014Cotogna is a difficult place to get a reservation, but, once you experience this place you understand why. There is a great vibe to the restaurant; the entire staff is wonderful (friendly, helpful, knowledgeable, and professional); and the food is amazing. We started with the coppa di testa with our excellent cocktails. Our first course: corn triangle for my date and ravioli di ricotta for me (perfectly prepared pasta, both). Our second course: chicken costelleta for my date and the pork loin for me (both absolutely outstanding and very generous). We shared the praline gelato with pear and biscotti for dessert (yummy). We ordered wine from the Quince wine list, a wonderful Montrachet. We will definitely return! Absolutely outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood spotSaraDined on 8/10/2014I live close by and always walk by this spot. Quince was amazing so I had to try Cotogna. The Sunday prix-fixe experience is convenient and delicious! Definitely go for the optional additions!Special Features:
- Casual DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/9/2014We ate at Cotogna Friday night with friends and overall found the food to be good but not really anything special. (However, the prefix for $28 is a bargain and was quite good.). The pasta dishes ordered from the a la carte menu were good but the desserts of the berry crostata & roasted stone fruits were just okay. In contrast, the valhorna chocolate mousse on the prefix was very good. Our service was very good and we enjoyed the atmosphere but we were surprised that this restaurant made the Top 100 SF list. We would give it a B-.