490 Pacific Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94133Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cotognasf.com/
- Phone: 4157758508x
- Hours of Operation:
Cotogna is open for continuous service
Monday - Thursday from 11:30am - 11:00pm and
Friday and Saturday from 11:30am - 12:00am
Sunday Supper is served from 5:00pm - 9:30pm
Please note on Sunday we serve our 4 course Sunday supper menu and the regular a la carte menu is not available.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Pizzeria
- Executive Chef: Michael Tusk
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Cafe, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: Cotogna offers offsite catering for parties of 10-100! Please contact email@example.com to learn more.
- Cross Street: Montgomery
- Public Transit: The Muni bus lines 1 California, 30 Stockton, 10 Townsend and 12 Folsom all stop within a block or two of Cotogna. The closest Bart stop, Montgomery Station, is a 10 minute walk.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet parking is available in the evenings at the front entrance of the restaurant for $12 per standard sized vehicle.
A word from Cotogna
Located in the heart of San Francisco’s historic Jackson Square neighborhood, Cotogna is a lively, comfortably-stylish restaurant featuring rustic Italian cuisine. Adjoining Quince, Lindsay and Chef Michael Tusk’s celebrated fine dining restaurant, Cotogna (meaning ‘quince’ in Italian), offers a seasonally-changing menu featuring spit-roasted or grilled meats and game birds, wood-oven pizzas, house-made pastas, fresh local seafood, salads, salumi and cheeses. A sophisticated, seasonal cocktail program features innovative cocktails, while the approachable wine program (all bottles for $50 and all glasses for $12) focuses on Northern Italian varieties.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cotogna reviews from OpenTable diners
194 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (133)neighborhood gem (86)great for lunch (63)hot spot (57)special occasion (53)notable wine list (50)romantic (36)great for brunch (23)good for groups (22)late-night find (12)great for outdoor dining (9)vibrant bar scene (7)kid-friendly (5)scenic view (1)Show More
- Good but loudOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014Food is good but the place is very loud and it makes earring difficult. Wine was ok but quite pricy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/19/2014Nice off the main path delicious dining experience. Perfect for a business or casual friends lunch.Special Features:
- serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 9/15/2014The waitress we had was not that engaging, seemed to be somewhat annoyed by requests. The other waitress who sometimes came over to our table was fantastic. Food was amazing but a bit disapointed in the specific waitress we had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/3/2014Not a pretentious place but still very special. The chef is doing very inventive things and the food was excellent. Young, crowded, energetic -- what they are trying for and it works beautifully because of the sophistication of the food, service and wine.Special Features:
- loud35foreverDined on 9/2/2014The food was superb! The servings were just right - plentiful. It was a good thing that the food was delicious because it was difficult to have a conversation. It seemed like everyone was using their outside voices.Special Features:
- LOVE IT!!!!MadamePDined on 8/31/2014great place.. our first visit .. we'll be sure to return.. had the tasting menu-- I needed a vegetarian option .. and the veggies were a bit scarce but besides that everything tasted fabulous!!Special Features:
- Again, the bestOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/30/2014SF favorite yet again. Fried chicken is worth the calories. Cannot wait to go back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/28/2014Very good pasta dishes, extremely slow service, nice environment. Overrated and not in the top 10 Italian places in the City.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014we had a nice time but the service was very slow for a wed lunch.Special Features:
- Great Dining ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/24/2014We can to Cotogna for the Sunday Supper and it was fantastic! The atmosphere is nice and cozy, and the food was outstanding. I'd highly recommend this restaurant and will be going back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stay away from the Pre menuPauloVIPDined on 8/24/2014We have eaten at this restaurant many times and were always pleased with it. We were surprised we were able to get a reservation on open table for Sunday. We soon found out when we got there that they have a pre fixed menu. First, since there are few choices with this type of menu, service should be fast. It was the exact opposite. Very slow! The corn chowder was very good and the stuffed past shells were good. However, the ribs and fried chicken were marginal and I would not go to an Italian restaurant to eat that kind of food. The desert which was a cream puff type stuffed with ice cream was also marginal. It was also very expensive. I will go back again but not for the pre menu.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Looking forward to a return.YummDined on 8/22/2014The staff was seriously attentive. The salad, pastas, desserts and wine were excellent. Best tiramisu ever!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eats4meDined on 8/20/2014Great restaurant with wonderful service. Loved the fried green tomatoes with burrata and the delicious tasty rolls. Pork ravioli also excellent although the pasta dishes were all on the small side. Pizza was good as well. The restaurant was lively and a bit loud but you could still have a conversation. Excellent service, great wait staff.Special Features:
- Is there a new chef at Cotogna??marinfoodieDined on 8/19/2014I have to be perfectly honest... My meal at Cotogna last week was not spectacular. I ordered the prawns with beets and spinach for my main course, and while it was good, I wouldn't describe it as delicious. And the fried green tomatoes I ordered as a starter were completely uneventful. My friend actually sent her order back. The breading on the tomatoes was heavy and flavorless. If the chef had used rice flour and/or a beer batter to create a lighter, crisper coating, and maybe a little lemon to bring out the flavor, this would have been a satisfying, tasty summer dish. Instead I was left wondering what to do with it. I still like the ambiance, the wine and the location, but I expect more from this restaurant.Special Features:
- Was Expecting So Much MoreClosebutnocandleDined on 8/17/2014I surprised my girlfriend with Cotogna's Sunday Supper for her birthday. We were both very excited upon our arrival. Days before our reservation, I thought to make our visit more magical by sending an email to Cotogna. I found their contact email on their website. I wrote a nice email, quite non-demanding, very humble, requesting maybe a candle, a written expression, possibly a table visit from the chef, any token to mark the occasion. Unfortunately, nothing happened for us. The email was clearly forgotten about or ignored. I felt so bad seeing others with candles on their tiramisu. I also didn't like, upon leaving, having to step gingerly around strollers and over a child playing and sprawled on the floor after our $300 meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Trust the prosCMillerSFDined on 8/15/2014We let our server Jason select our entire food and wine selection based on a couple comments from our group...couldn't have been better.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SusanDined on 8/15/2014Only liked the pork belly ravioli didn't deliver for the price
- A terrible experiencecaliforniandyDined on 8/14/2014Something has gone very badly wrong at this restaurant. The food used to be very good. This time it was verging on inedible. Have the chef and the kitchen brigade all departed? Pastas were very poor, and had no resemblance to their Italian originals. Pizza had gobs of improperly melted and low quality cheese on it. Wine list, which had been a good value at $40 a bottle is now full of overpriced wines at $50. Server needed three reminders to bring our bread order and it arrived too late. And with only a handful of tables to look after, she rarely put in an appearance. To top it off they were 25 minutes late seating us. We all felt ripped off. Avoid. A sad decline.
- Worth the Wait?DoctorDineVIPDined on 8/12/2014I took clients to Cotogna on a Tuesday night. We had Open Table reservations for five people at 7:45 pm but didn't get seated until 8:35 pm. The hostess was nice and bought us an appetizer but there isn't much space at the restaurant to mingle with five people (it is fairly small with one room, a small bar, and some sidewalk tables). The place was obviously full with great energy but that same energy created a very loud dining environment. In the end, the food, including the pasta and pizza was very good and my clients had a nice time. I wish the wine list was more inviting - too many very high priced California wines. We have so much great wine in California, a restaurant of this type should be offering more lower priced wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A sumptuous mealgutchybowlVIPDined on 8/12/2014The meal was delightful and the service was excellent. There were new seasonal items on the menu and everything we ordered was lovely. If the weather is good, dining outside can be nice, but the bus and construction traffic can bring sporadic noise.Special Features:
- Absolutely Outstanding2forever1VIPDined on 8/11/2014Cotogna is a difficult place to get a reservation, but, once you experience this place you understand why. There is a great vibe to the restaurant; the entire staff is wonderful (friendly, helpful, knowledgeable, and professional); and the food is amazing. We started with the coppa di testa with our excellent cocktails. Our first course: corn triangle for my date and ravioli di ricotta for me (perfectly prepared pasta, both). Our second course: chicken costelleta for my date and the pork loin for me (both absolutely outstanding and very generous). We shared the praline gelato with pear and biscotti for dessert (yummy). We ordered wine from the Quince wine list, a wonderful Montrachet. We will definitely return! Absolutely outstanding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great neighborhood spotSaraDined on 8/10/2014I live close by and always walk by this spot. Quince was amazing so I had to try Cotogna. The Sunday prix-fixe experience is convenient and delicious! Definitely go for the optional additions!Special Features:
- Casual DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/9/2014We ate at Cotogna Friday night with friends and overall found the food to be good but not really anything special. (However, the prefix for $28 is a bargain and was quite good.). The pasta dishes ordered from the a la carte menu were good but the desserts of the berry crostata & roasted stone fruits were just okay. In contrast, the valhorna chocolate mousse on the prefix was very good. Our service was very good and we enjoyed the atmosphere but we were surprised that this restaurant made the Top 100 SF list. We would give it a B-.
- BennyDined on 8/9/2014I had heard how good and successful Cotogna was so booked a 5:30 reservation. Waiter was knowledgeable and pleasant. His uniform shirt had large sweat rings under his arms which is unfortunate for everyone. Asked for some bread and butter. Server said THIS was an Italian restaurant no butter would be served. Was offered a Italian Chardonnay version for 19 dollars and the least expensive was 12 dollars. This is for a 5 ounce pour and was measured out meticulously by the server. Pizza looked appealing and brought hot to the table. Crust was watery as onions on the pizza watered the crust. Fried green tomatoes were crispy The Burrata was bland. Very good pizza is commonplace in most good restaurants. Would not returnSpecial Features:
- We Love Cotogna!DinerproDined on 8/9/2014This is a great SF restaurant in a wonderful part of town with delicious, inventive cuisine. A rare find!Special Features:
- Lived up to the hype.JellyDined on 8/9/2014Food and ambiance were amazing. Service was good, on point.Special Features:
- Good but not greatBgladDined on 8/8/2014Overall, it was a good dining experience but nothing too special.. Service was marginal and the food was a tid bit overpriced for the quality.Special Features:
- Beautiful foodOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/1/2014Great dinner at Cotogna with innovative preparations and first-rate ingredientsSpecial Features:
- Yummy!JacqueVIPDined on 8/1/2014The best pizza ever!!! Enjoyed the wine list too. Nothing over $50 bucks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVE!Venpdx3Dined on 7/30/2014Cotogna is a classic. A birthday dinner for my boyfriend and they had a personalized printed placemat for him. It's the little things that set a restaurant apart. Pastas excellent, drinks amazing (Hemingway piña colada in particular), and desserts sublime. Will always come to Cotogna when I'm in SF.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent starters, teeny portionsOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 7/26/2014The atmosphere here is warm and inviting. The carrot soup was amazing and a very generous portion. The starter salads were tasty with very tender lettuce and nice flavor combinations. The pasta dishes didn't fare so well. My husbands $18 pasta dish had 4 tortellini and a few small clams with it. Flavors were nice, but the portion size was ridiculously small, especially at that price. The pasta with big eye tuna tasted very unpleasantly fishy. We also enjoyed the corn ravioli which were quite tasty, but again very small portions. Probably will not return here due to this, which is a shame because the setting is lovely. Not quite sure why it is so hard to get a reservation if this is the typical of the meals they serve.
- Terrible experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 7/26/2014Upon arrival at 5:45 (we were 15 min late), we were coldly greeted by the "hostess" Ashley, who informed us that we could sit at our reserved table, but there was a 7 pm reservation and we'd have to finish and leave before that. Or, we could sit at the bar. What? So we asked if we had arrived 15 min earlier, would we still have to leave by 7 pm? She rolled her eyes and gave us an annoyed look, as if we had wronged her in a previous life, and just repeated her initial statement. Management, your front door staff set the mood, and first impressions DO matter! We really wanted to like your restaurant but Ashley ruined our entire dining experience from the moment we arrived. Yes we were a few minutes late, but it's not the end of the world.Special Features:
- Worth the tripcmsbostonVIPDined on 7/23/2014I loved the laid back yet hip vibe. Service was excellent - due to a travel glitch I was dining on my own yet I was very comfortable at the bar. The wait staff was welcoming and well versed on the menu and cocktail options. My tailor made cocktail a variation on a sidecar was delicious. The halibut avacado crudo was rich and refresing and the raviolo di ricotta decadent and prefectly executed.Special Features:
- Catreens1Dined on 7/23/2014Enjoyed a wonderful lunch here with my sister whilst visiting San Fran. We are Italian and it was great to find a place that made their own pasta and had authentic food! You need to book!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love the decor . . .FallBaseballDined on 7/23/2014Fig salad is a must-have . . . unbelieveably delicious !!Special Features:
- Tuscan fried chickenBigMarkDined on 7/19/2014I had sworn off fried chicken but this was the best! Pastas amazing. Service excellent.Special Features:
- Memorable mealHappydinerDined on 7/16/2014While waiting for one of our party to arrive, we shared the fried green tomatoes appetizer which was served with pickled FRESH anchovies (a food item I would normally avoid as I'm not a fan) and mozzarella cheese -- excellent. I chose the smoked trout salad which was a generous serving of greens with aromatic smoky trout in pieces that were nicely balanced with the greens. My entree was the ricotta ravioli with fresh corn -- oh, my, that was so good! Even though I'm a dessert lover, I was totally satisfied and didn't even need a taste of the dessert ordered by another. I did try two kinds of white wine which complemented each course. The wait staff was informative and helpful and friendly but not intrusive. Great experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunchtime EscapeOpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 7/16/2014Excellent lunchtime escape for a quiet celebration near the financial district. Fondly reminds me of the Quince of days past!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding dinner!onlygoodfoodDined on 7/15/2014The food was delicious, everything we tried was better than the next. The wine was also good, we asked for recommendations and they were great. It is really loud, so if you don't like noisy places it won't work for you. I will definitely go again, it was a fabulous experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average - little disappointingShandaDined on 7/12/2014My friend recommended this place - she was excited to have the homemade bread she remembers having the last time. Either they don't have that anymore or we didn't get any. We did get bread, but we had to ask for it. She was quite disappointed. The food was good but not awesome enough for me to plan to go back or recommend to a friend. For the most part the service was good with one exception: my pregnant friend ordered a caffeine free cappuccino. Immediately her heart was beating fast - a sign of caffeine. We said something to the waitress and she offered to have it remade, which we requested. She ended up bringing the SAME CUP back saying the Batista assured her it was caffeine free. They still should have remade it!! Really surprised.Special Features: