511 Bloomfield Avenue
Montclair, NJ 07042Neighborhood:
PeruvianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.costaneranj.com/
- Phone: (973) 337-8289
- Hours of Operation:
All Inclusive Lunch Hours
Wednesday - Sunday: 12:00PM - 3:30PM
Dinner (Served all Day):
Wednesday & Thursday: 3:30PM - 10:00PM
Friday & Saturday: 3:30PM - 10:30PM
Sunday: 3:30PM - 10:00PM
CLOSED MONDAY AND TUESDAY
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Peruvian, South American
- Executive Chef: Juan Andres Placencia
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Costanera Restaurant offers on and off premise catering. Please contact Tatiana Macias or Jeffrey Devine at the restaurant directly for further information.
- Cross Street: Park Street
- Public Transit: NJ Transit Train
Walnut Street Station on the Montclair-Boonton line.
From station walk north on Walnut Street to N. Fullerton Ave.
Turn left on N. Fullerton Ave. and walk to Bloomfield Ave.
Make a right turn on Bloomfield Ave., and end on 511 Bloomfield Ave.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: A three story parking deck is conveniently located behind our restaurant. Enter on Park Street or North Fullerton Avenue.
A word from Costanera Restaurant
Costanera, Montclair's hip restaurant, offers authentic and bold Peruvian Cuisine in a warm, casual atmosphere. The restaurant's owner and executive chef, Juan Andres Placencia, creates dishes with only the freshest, high-quality ingredients prepared with refined, elevated cooking techniques. Located in the heart of Montclair, Costanera is open for lunch and dinner six days a week.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Costanera Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
59 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (40)neighborhood gem (38)good for groups (13)special occasion (11)romantic (9)kid-friendly (6)hot spot (6)late-night find (5)great for lunch (3)great for brunch (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014Interesting and delicious food with friendly service.
- A+ Service and Phenomenal FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/30/2014We had a small surprise dinner last week for my sister and our table was perfectly setup right by the door, and our server Evan slyly escorted the birthday girl to our table -- it was a perfect surprise and we appreciated the special attention before the meal had even started! The food was amazing and the octopus salad special was absolutely outstanding, as well as the causas, which we have eaten before and loved. Entrees were cooked perfectly, from the veal to the seafood stew to the steaks, and the whole fish special. Although the birthday girl didn't order dessert, they graciously gave us a bowl of ice cream (I forget the flavor but it was unusual but so good!) with a candle in it. Overall a fantastic experience from start to finish!Special Features:
- Great Thursday NightEatAroundDined on 10/30/2014To our pleasant surprise we got a reservation for 7pm on a Thursday only a couple of days ahead. Got there and not crowded. This is not our usual experience. Usually, by the time we try to make a reservation they are booked. We were allowed to take our time in ordering (actually they let us take too much time) and were not disappointed. Servers were friendly and knowledgeable. Salads and appetizers - outstanding. Main courses delicious although not everyone at the table was a fan of beef hearts (I thought they were excellent). Unfortunately, our waistlines couldn't afford dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice dinnerfoodieDined on 10/25/2014very nice restaurant with delicious food. got a bit busy after 6:30.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find in MontclairJFrenchieDined on 10/24/2014I haven't had Peruvian food in a long time and this was a great surprise. I've always seen this restaurant when I worked in Montclair, but never went in. So glad my parents and I went. My mother had gone before and loved the food, so we were expecting greatness. I had the Lomo Saltado and it taste really good. Plus the restaurant is like others in Montclair, BYOB. We brought a bottle of wine, had dinner, dessert (chocolate mousse), and coffee (double macchiato). Everything was really good. Definitely a place to revisit.Special Features:
- The menu was interestingKathyVIPDined on 10/17/2014But we had the duck breast special. The perfectly cooked slices were served on a bed of rice mixed with veggies. We shared A side of canary beans that made the dinner complete.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy, yum, yum!!bboopDined on 10/12/2014A culinary experience... We loved everything we tried and definitely over ate. The grilled octopus salad with arugula, potatoes, beans and radishes was amazing... a party in my mouth.. The sauce on it was scrumptious.. Wish that was offered as a main course. I had the Ribeye with the tacu tacu and maduros with a fried egg and was very content.. The steak was cooked PERFECTLY... My husband had the cod in a red sauce with other seafood and quinoa and it was so yummy... very fresh and filling.. Topped off with TRES LECHES for dessert that put me over the top but I could not stop eating it.. Service WAS EXCELLENT.. Willy was a pleasure and we will definitely be going back!!Special Features:
- Fantastic!GotisoDined on 10/11/2014Costanera is a terrific Peruvian restaurant! The food is delicious and the service is attentive and friendly. We particularly recommend the ceviche,mussels, and octopus salad as appetizers. We will definitely return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful experience!BlkNinjaDined on 10/10/2014The host was charming, funny, and very passionate about the menu items. It's been a couple of years since my last visit. I'm sorry I waited so long.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 10/5/14 DinneryumyumDined on 10/4/2014We had the octopus appetizer which was grilled to perfection and simply outstanding, the best that I ever had. I had the Escabeche de Pescado. the sauce was a too thin and had a spice that I particularly did not favor, that I could not identify, I would have preferred if the onions had been pickled more and were more tender, on the side I had steamed yucca, it was a bit too mushy and was not flavorful. The desserts were OK, we had the Combinado Clasico which for my palet had a strange consistence and was not that flavorful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodNjchefDined on 10/4/2014There are a lot of restaurants in the area however this place is the best. The food and service were great. Our group went there because it was recommended to us. We are glad they did. Crab cake appetizer was amazing. The whole fish was cooked to perfection. The Tres Leches was the best I have has in years. I would highly recommend this place to anyoneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciosoDeliciosoDined on 9/20/2014The chori-papa and antichuchos were delicious. The chicken was crispy on the outside yet succulent within, the sausage was tender and tasty and both blended well, and in contrast to, the respective sauces. The choclos were also a great partner to the chicken kebob. Lovely experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good time.BrotherDined on 9/20/2014Great food. The oyster sliders were amazing. Good energetic atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/14/2014Awesome place. Food is amazing. The waiters are very friendly and professional. Really enjoy this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Fooddiana156VIPDined on 8/31/2014Sat near the door, I was not pleased about that ! Food was flavorful , I recommend the ceviche..Special Features:
- Great experience.HoneyDined on 8/30/2014Great food and great service. Bring a bottle of Pisco and they will make the best pisco sours for you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful surpriseShakesberryDined on 8/27/2014When Costanera took over the space that used to be a wonderful vegetarian Indian restaurant, I just assumed its menu would be mainly meat-driven and so I never bothered to check. When a friend suggested it, I checked the web site and was pleasantly surprised to see lots of fish and seafood options, all wonderful: beautiful fresh oysters, mussels (a meal-size portion served as an appetizer), grilled branzino (perfect); platanos (oh my!)--even the ice cream was excellent. This was my first visit here, but it certainly won't be my last. This place is wonderful. Suggestion: make a reservation. We went mid-week and on the early side (6:30), and before we were halfway through our meal, the place was packed. Now I know why.Special Features:
- What a nice surprise!getrealDined on 8/24/2014We were a party of six, eating here for the first time. What a nice surprise! We all enjoyed what we ordered, and the flavors were a treat to the palate. Would definitely return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful in Every Way!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/21/2014My husband and I had an AMAZING anniversary dinner at Costanera last week. We could not have asked for a better experience from start to finish. At night, it's a lovely candlelit space that is both casual and romantic. The servers and manger were fantastic. It was our first Peruvian food experience and they were patient and informative. The food was incredible from start to finish. The Lomo Saltado an Peruvian Bouillabaisse cannot be missed. Don't forget to end with a scoop of their Peruvian Lucuma ice cream.Special Features:
- Totally Tasty PeruviankandjVIPDined on 8/21/2014Best potatoes bravas I've had in over 5 different locations, from NYC to Santa Fe. Super friendly service and help choosing from the menu. Do try the ceviche (fresh!) and something I often would pass over for something more exotic, their strip steak -- the marinade is amazing.Special Features:
- good findMaelinVIPDined on 8/16/2014Just decided t try this restaurant. We were not at all disappointed. The food and services were great. Would go back again soon. Highly recommended. Found parking just around the corner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Costanera = Food Made with Love!RedFlowerDinerDined on 8/16/2014Costanera offers delicious Peruvian cuisine! I have dined there for lunch and dinner. Each experience has been exceptional -- delicious, flavorful food and outstanding service. I highly recommend the all-inclusive lunch special, too -- soup, entree, side, and beverage for $12 or $15 (depending on the option chosen). Go there soon! :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a visitZazuDined on 8/9/2014Went to dinner with another couple and had a great meal. The service and food were both great. Parking in Montclair is a pain in the neck on a Saturday night, but that was the only negative to our night out. We'll be back.
- Great experiencePamelaDined on 8/3/2014I went for late dinner to Costanera. The food was delicious and the customer service was outstanding. I will definitely come back. And it's BYOBSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014The food and ambience was amazing. The service was also above standard. The waiters know the food and they interact with the patrons in a very casual yet respectful manner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best. Meal. Ever.artlover23Dined on 8/2/2014WOW! We were 2 couples looking for good fish or veggie options as well as non-veggie choices, that wouldn't break the bank. Read several menus on Open Table and Costanera looked great - but was even better than expected! Everyone loved their appetizers (my huge salad was amazing). For entrees, 2 got the fish of the night, Bronzino, prepared with Peruvian flavors in your choice of style. One friend loved her steak and I got the Quinoia-coated fish fritters, a delicious appetizer big enough for a main dish - and gluten-free! Couldn't get a 7:00 res so grabbed the 6:15. It wasn't packed, easy to talk. Our server was friendly, knowledgeable, kept our glasses full (BYO wine, like most of Montclair) and made our evening special. Will return!Special Features:
- Excellent food and serviceeurosDined on 8/1/2014This was our first visit to Costanera after walking by many times. We tried it out for a "date night" with my wife and thoroughly enjoyed the food and service. Great experience.Special Features:
- Great food-great serviceMichael0219Dined on 8/1/2014Feeling welcome in a restaurant is a great way to begin an experience. The manager showed up after the appetizer ( cerviche & oysters) to check in. Our waiter, Byron, explained the dished and offered suggestions. He was professional & knowledgable. The main course, bouillabaisse Peruvian style was fantastic. Our meal was nicely paced and we never felt rushed. We couldn't decide on dessert, so we were treated to a dessert-sized taste to help us decide. Looking forward to our next meal there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spotlemonlimeVIPDined on 8/1/2014I loved the ambience, service, and most importantly the food. Instead of getting main entrees, we got several ceviches and the raw bar special with a quinoa salad. It was fantastic and would be a cute date spot, catch-up with girlfriends, place to visit with guests, etc.Special Features:
- A great mid-week break!JillybeanDined on 7/31/2014I absolutely love Costanera, particularly on Thursdays when they have their $1 clam/$1.50 oyster raw bar special. The food is different and moderately priced but the best part is the service which is top notch and the care and commitment that the owner puts into interacting with his clients. He makes you feel like you are the most important person in the room. Crowded and noisy on Saturdays but a great mid-week respite from cooking after work. Try it!Special Features:
- Costanera's A WinnerDoctorPeterDined on 7/26/2014Went there on a Saturday night in the summer and got reservations for four at a reasonable hour (8:00) the previous night. Third time that I tried this Peruvian restaurant never disappoints. The appetizers are innovative and excellent -- definitely try the fish tacos, and I also enjoyed the octopus dish. The mussels were fresh and if anything there were too many, since we ordered three appetizers for the table. The fish special that I had (grilled branzino) was fresh and perfectly cooked. Everyone else in the party also rated their dinners highly. Price is moderate and it is a BYOB place, which I prefer. It is a small and unassuming place, nicely decorated on the inside, perfect for groups of two or four. I recommend it highly.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 444 reviews are from the Costanera Restaurant reviews archive.
- DisappointedLuv2dineDined on 7/19/2014We usually love our experience at Costanera, but this past visit was notably disappointing. It took over an hour to get our food and as a result, we had complications with the parking garage ticket and fee. We are not sure what the back up was, but for not even ordering an appetizer or dessert- it was just water and two entrees, we will think twice about returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We keep going back!njeater987VIPDined on 7/6/2014Great food, fabulous staff, the owner is gracious and welcoming - it has been a great experience every time we have gone. And we will be back!
- Great again. Does not disappointcandysVIPDined on 7/5/2014Took real foodie friends here - produced food shows for FoodTV and each of our meals was fantastic. Two ceviches - mussels- hangar steak - fish stew - branzino - sorry I don't have the Peruvian names ,but no leftovers! We will returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodPMontclairVIPDined on 7/4/2014Lots of great tastes to explore! Will come again. Service was very good on a holiday night. Good for vegetarians as well as meat eaters.Special Features:
- My Peruvian fixOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/3/2014We love Costanera.....we go there everytime we need a peruvian fix...we have introduced many of our friends too, who now go there regularly. This time though, they had a new waiter, who needs training obviously...screwed up our order and the Ceviche came with peppered tuna...never heard of it!Special Features:
- Great Tiradito!!GreenyNJVIPDined on 6/29/2014Tried the tuna tiradito and it was amazing! If you like seared or raw tuna, it is a must! The mixto ceviche was awesome too. Had the chicken which was good, and a steak chimichurri which was a little fatty but excellent. The dipping sauces were fabulous and the yucca was the best I have had.Special Features:
- An Awesome Place!ShortyVIPDined on 6/29/2014Me and my husband love this restaurant. We loved it so much that we had our Rehearsal Dinner there and everyone enjoyed the location, food and ambience. The services was great and so was the manager. I would highly recommend this place!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luv2eatDined on 6/29/2014We won a free dinner to the restaurant from a neighborhood auction and the staff could not have been nicer. The chef prepared us a special three course meal which was absolutely wonderful. The steak and chicken, in particular, were cooked and marinated perfectly and the desserts were to die for. We were a a little reluctant to go since we don't like spicy food, but we had a great dining experience. This is a true gem of a neighborhood restaurant to try.Special Features:
- A stand-out!archer5852VIPDined on 6/13/2014The four of us really enjoyed our meal at Costanera's. The food was delicious, portions were a good size. The wait staff was really friendly. We would go back next time we find ourselves in town.Special Features: