511 Bloomfield Avenue
Montclair, NJ 07042Neighborhood:
PeruvianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.costaneranj.com/
- Phone: 9733378289x
- Hours of Operation:
All Inclusive Lunch Hours
Wednesday - Sunday: 12:00PM - 3:30PM
Dinner (Served all Day):
Wednesday & Thursday: 3:30PM - 10:00PM
Friday & Saturday: 3:30PM - 10:30PM
Sunday: 3:30PM - 10:00PM
CLOSED MONDAY AND TUESDAY
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Peruvian, South American
- Executive Chef: Juan Andres Placencia
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Costanera Restaurant offers on and off premise catering. Please contact Tatiana Macias or Jeffrey Devine at the restaurant directly for further information.
- Cross Street: Park Street
- Public Transit: NJ Transit Train
Walnut Street Station on the Montclair-Boonton line.
From station walk north on Walnut Street to N. Fullerton Ave.
Turn left on N. Fullerton Ave. and walk to Bloomfield Ave.
Make a right turn on Bloomfield Ave., and end on 511 Bloomfield Ave.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: A three story parking deck is conveniently located behind our restaurant. Enter on Park Street or North Fullerton Avenue.
A word from Costanera Restaurant
Costanera, Montclair's hip restaurant, offers authentic and bold Peruvian Cuisine in a warm, casual atmosphere. The restaurant's owner and executive chef, Juan Andres Placencia, creates dishes with only the freshest, high-quality ingredients prepared with refined, elevated cooking techniques. Located in the heart of Montclair, Costanera is open for lunch and dinner six days a week.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Costanera Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
60 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (42)fit for foodies (40)good for groups (16)special occasion (13)romantic (11)late-night find (6)great for lunch (5)kid-friendly (4)hot spot (4)great for brunch (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- DeliciosoDeliciosoDined on 9/20/2014The chori-papa and antichuchos were delicious. The chicken was crispy on the outside yet succulent within, the sausage was tender and tasty and both blended well, and in contrast to, the respective sauces. The choclos were also a great partner to the chicken kebob. Lovely experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good time.BrotherDined on 9/20/2014Great food. The oyster sliders were amazing. Good energetic atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great PlaceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/14/2014Awesome place. Food is amazing. The waiters are very friendly and professional. Really enjoy this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Fooddiana156VIPDined on 8/31/2014Sat near the door, I was not pleased about that ! Food was flavorful , I recommend the ceviche..Special Features:
- Great experience.HoneyDined on 8/30/2014Great food and great service. Bring a bottle of Pisco and they will make the best pisco sours for you.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful surpriseShakesberryDined on 8/27/2014When Costanera took over the space that used to be a wonderful vegetarian Indian restaurant, I just assumed its menu would be mainly meat-driven and so I never bothered to check. When a friend suggested it, I checked the web site and was pleasantly surprised to see lots of fish and seafood options, all wonderful: beautiful fresh oysters, mussels (a meal-size portion served as an appetizer), grilled branzino (perfect); platanos (oh my!)--even the ice cream was excellent. This was my first visit here, but it certainly won't be my last. This place is wonderful. Suggestion: make a reservation. We went mid-week and on the early side (6:30), and before we were halfway through our meal, the place was packed. Now I know why.Special Features:
- What a nice surprise!getrealDined on 8/24/2014We were a party of six, eating here for the first time. What a nice surprise! We all enjoyed what we ordered, and the flavors were a treat to the palate. Would definitely return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful in Every Way!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/21/2014My husband and I had an AMAZING anniversary dinner at Costanera last week. We could not have asked for a better experience from start to finish. At night, it's a lovely candlelit space that is both casual and romantic. The servers and manger were fantastic. It was our first Peruvian food experience and they were patient and informative. The food was incredible from start to finish. The Lomo Saltado an Peruvian Bouillabaisse cannot be missed. Don't forget to end with a scoop of their Peruvian Lucuma ice cream.Special Features:
- Totally Tasty PeruviankandjVIPDined on 8/21/2014Best potatoes bravas I've had in over 5 different locations, from NYC to Santa Fe. Super friendly service and help choosing from the menu. Do try the ceviche (fresh!) and something I often would pass over for something more exotic, their strip steak -- the marinade is amazing.Special Features:
- good findMaelinVIPDined on 8/16/2014Just decided t try this restaurant. We were not at all disappointed. The food and services were great. Would go back again soon. Highly recommended. Found parking just around the corner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Costanera = Food Made with Love!RedFlowerDinerDined on 8/16/2014Costanera offers delicious Peruvian cuisine! I have dined there for lunch and dinner. Each experience has been exceptional -- delicious, flavorful food and outstanding service. I highly recommend the all-inclusive lunch special, too -- soup, entree, side, and beverage for $12 or $15 (depending on the option chosen). Go there soon! :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth a visitZazuDined on 8/9/2014Went to dinner with another couple and had a great meal. The service and food were both great. Parking in Montclair is a pain in the neck on a Saturday night, but that was the only negative to our night out. We'll be back.
- Great experiencePamelaDined on 8/3/2014I went for late dinner to Costanera. The food was delicious and the customer service was outstanding. I will definitely come back. And it's BYOBSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/2/2014The food and ambience was amazing. The service was also above standard. The waiters know the food and they interact with the patrons in a very casual yet respectful manner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best. Meal. Ever.artlover23Dined on 8/2/2014WOW! We were 2 couples looking for good fish or veggie options as well as non-veggie choices, that wouldn't break the bank. Read several menus on Open Table and Costanera looked great - but was even better than expected! Everyone loved their appetizers (my huge salad was amazing). For entrees, 2 got the fish of the night, Bronzino, prepared with Peruvian flavors in your choice of style. One friend loved her steak and I got the Quinoia-coated fish fritters, a delicious appetizer big enough for a main dish - and gluten-free! Couldn't get a 7:00 res so grabbed the 6:15. It wasn't packed, easy to talk. Our server was friendly, knowledgeable, kept our glasses full (BYO wine, like most of Montclair) and made our evening special. Will return!Special Features:
- Excellent food and serviceeurosDined on 8/1/2014This was our first visit to Costanera after walking by many times. We tried it out for a "date night" with my wife and thoroughly enjoyed the food and service. Great experience.Special Features:
- Great food-great serviceMichael0219Dined on 8/1/2014Feeling welcome in a restaurant is a great way to begin an experience. The manager showed up after the appetizer ( cerviche & oysters) to check in. Our waiter, Byron, explained the dished and offered suggestions. He was professional & knowledgable. The main course, bouillabaisse Peruvian style was fantastic. Our meal was nicely paced and we never felt rushed. We couldn't decide on dessert, so we were treated to a dessert-sized taste to help us decide. Looking forward to our next meal there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spotlemonlimeVIPDined on 8/1/2014I loved the ambience, service, and most importantly the food. Instead of getting main entrees, we got several ceviches and the raw bar special with a quinoa salad. It was fantastic and would be a cute date spot, catch-up with girlfriends, place to visit with guests, etc.Special Features:
- A great mid-week break!JillybeanDined on 7/31/2014I absolutely love Costanera, particularly on Thursdays when they have their $1 clam/$1.50 oyster raw bar special. The food is different and moderately priced but the best part is the service which is top notch and the care and commitment that the owner puts into interacting with his clients. He makes you feel like you are the most important person in the room. Crowded and noisy on Saturdays but a great mid-week respite from cooking after work. Try it!Special Features:
- Costanera's A WinnerDoctorPeterDined on 7/26/2014Went there on a Saturday night in the summer and got reservations for four at a reasonable hour (8:00) the previous night. Third time that I tried this Peruvian restaurant never disappoints. The appetizers are innovative and excellent -- definitely try the fish tacos, and I also enjoyed the octopus dish. The mussels were fresh and if anything there were too many, since we ordered three appetizers for the table. The fish special that I had (grilled branzino) was fresh and perfectly cooked. Everyone else in the party also rated their dinners highly. Price is moderate and it is a BYOB place, which I prefer. It is a small and unassuming place, nicely decorated on the inside, perfect for groups of two or four. I recommend it highly.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedLuv2dineDined on 7/19/2014We usually love our experience at Costanera, but this past visit was notably disappointing. It took over an hour to get our food and as a result, we had complications with the parking garage ticket and fee. We are not sure what the back up was, but for not even ordering an appetizer or dessert- it was just water and two entrees, we will think twice about returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We keep going back!njeater987VIPDined on 7/6/2014Great food, fabulous staff, the owner is gracious and welcoming - it has been a great experience every time we have gone. And we will be back!
- Great again. Does not disappointcandysDined on 7/5/2014Took real foodie friends here - produced food shows for FoodTV and each of our meals was fantastic. Two ceviches - mussels- hangar steak - fish stew - branzino - sorry I don't have the Peruvian names ,but no leftovers! We will returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodPMontclairDined on 7/4/2014Lots of great tastes to explore! Will come again. Service was very good on a holiday night. Good for vegetarians as well as meat eaters.Special Features:
- My Peruvian fixOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/3/2014We love Costanera.....we go there everytime we need a peruvian fix...we have introduced many of our friends too, who now go there regularly. This time though, they had a new waiter, who needs training obviously...screwed up our order and the Ceviche came with peppered tuna...never heard of it!Special Features:
- Great Tiradito!!GreenyNJDined on 6/29/2014Tried the tuna tiradito and it was amazing! If you like seared or raw tuna, it is a must! The mixto ceviche was awesome too. Had the chicken which was good, and a steak chimichurri which was a little fatty but excellent. The dipping sauces were fabulous and the yucca was the best I have had.Special Features:
- An Awesome Place!ShortyVIPDined on 6/29/2014Me and my husband love this restaurant. We loved it so much that we had our Rehearsal Dinner there and everyone enjoyed the location, food and ambience. The services was great and so was the manager. I would highly recommend this place!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- luv2eatDined on 6/29/2014We won a free dinner to the restaurant from a neighborhood auction and the staff could not have been nicer. The chef prepared us a special three course meal which was absolutely wonderful. The steak and chicken, in particular, were cooked and marinated perfectly and the desserts were to die for. We were a a little reluctant to go since we don't like spicy food, but we had a great dining experience. This is a true gem of a neighborhood restaurant to try.Special Features:
- A stand-out!archer5852VIPDined on 6/13/2014The four of us really enjoyed our meal at Costanera's. The food was delicious, portions were a good size. The wait staff was really friendly. We would go back next time we find ourselves in town.Special Features:
- Good but loudTetsdinesoutDined on 6/7/2014The restaurant is small with tables pretty close together. Service was good and waiters were attentive. I started with a salad which was OK but not great. I wished they would have tossed it instead of placing the various components on the plate separately. I then chose seafood with yellow rice. My seafood included two large shrimp, two or three mussels and one or two oysters but was mostly calamari (which could have been good if that is your favorite seafood) and tons of rice. My husband and friend both chose the lamb shank which they both loved. The prices were reasonable for entrees most were in the mid twenties. We did not choose any desserts but the selection looked interesting. I would go back and order a different entree.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 434 reviews are from the Costanera Restaurant reviews archive.
- Great food - again!justokaug2014Dined on 5/31/2014Great selection, really fresh, amazing taste, great preparation - impressed again on our second visit. Loud but -- so is every place. Service was fantastic. We will be back!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/30/2014The best Lomo I've had that's not homemade. The food does take a good amount of time to reach the table, but in the ends it's always worth it.Special Features:
- excellent food !lovegoodfoodDined on 5/28/2014Our experience here was great ! Service was great. I had the special of the night, Branzino fish with a side quinoa, it was all sooooo delicious ! My husband had a steak dinner which was also good. We finished with a tries leches desert because people raved about it . WELL it was amazing! We will absolutely be back and recommend our friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Nice Dinnersrw164Dined on 5/24/2014I had been meaning to try Costanera for some time and finally got around to it. Now that I have, I'm not sure why it took me so long. The service was excellent, the food was quite good and our waiter was very knowledgeable about the menu and helpful in making recommendations for dishes. Please, for the love of everything, if you go there get the mussels, you will not regret it! I had the lomo, which was good, but not great. My dining companion had the fresh fish of the day and enjoyed it immensely. I would definitely recommend this restaurant to anyone in the area or visiting the area.Special Features:
- Great aps. Very friendly service.MTonthegrubDined on 5/23/2014We have been to Costanera twice and enjoyed both experiences. The ceviche is delish, as were the mussels ap. Our main courses were good, but not as good as our first time. Overall a v. enjoyable meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Peruvian ParadiseFoodieVIPDined on 5/17/2014Costanera is the place for anyone who loves a great meal. The food is outstanding! Don't forget to order the dessert. The chocolate mousse is out of this world!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another home run!OutandAboutDined on 4/30/2014The food and service continue to be top notch. The lamb was amazing and the mussels appetizer also can be a good dinner entre.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty Peruvian DinnerLisaHDined on 4/29/2014I have eaten here several times over the past few years. As always, the food was fresh and well-prepared. I especially recommend the ceviche, though was sorry to see one of my favorite vegetarian appetizers was no longer on the menu. The service was courteous and attentive.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/25/2014Really enjoyed the oysters. Service was excellent Everyone was friendly and accomodating including the patronsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/25/2014Excellent service and very good food, menu is rather short but you will find good variety even for non-peruvian dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.