804 W. Vine St
Kalamazoo, MI 49008Neighborhood:
MediterraneanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cosmoscucina.com/
- Phone: (269) 344-5666
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 8:30 am - 2:00 pm;
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Fusion / Eclectic, Mediterranean
- Executive Chef: Brad Kavanaugh
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine
A word from Cosmos Cucina
A contemporary oasis offering affordable gourmet cuisine, Cosmo's Cucina was established in November 1992 with the goal of bringing simply creative cooking to Kalamazoo. Located at the corner of Vine and Locust Streets, two blocks west of Chenery Auditorium, also known as "Old Central High School." Cosmo's is on the second floor of a 110 year old building that has been the home of many restaurants including The Vine Garden Cafe, Wall Street and Granola, The Marketplace, The Troubadour and H. Buffalo Esquire. The main floor was for many years, the neighborhood grocery and bakery, and the home of many different, sometimes eccentric retail endeavors. It is now the home of O'Duffy's Pub, a gathering place for friends, old and new.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Cosmos Cucina - Best Restaurants in Kalamazoo ›
Cosmos Cucina reviews from OpenTable diners
14 reviews since July 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (14)fit for foodies (12)romantic (8)special occasion (8)great for outdoor dining (6)good for groups (2)hot spot (2)vibrant bar scene (1)great for brunch (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Good food, nice atmosphereavgjakeDined on 10/24/2014The food was delicious. I would describe the menu as a unique fresh perspective on standard American dishes. The food quality is through the roof good, probably due to the fresh ingredients. The flavors are good, but I would not describe them as intense. So, if you're looking for a wild, ethnic adventure for your taste buds, this may not be the place. But, if you're looking for a great, clean atmosphere for a date or group date, with really good tasting American food, this is the place. And, if you like to party after or before dinner, there's a super happening bar downstairs.Special Features:
- Hidden gemBC2KzooDined on 10/11/2014Cosmo's is tucked away in a neighborhood where many WMU students live. It's on the second floor of an older brick building, above a quiet, Irish pub that gives the feel of a friendly, neighborhood pub. Cosmo's is a smaller, more intimate atmosphere great for couples or small groups. The cuisine is eclectic and thoughtfully-prepared. The Kung Pao Pork Tenderloin and Spanikopita are amazing! My wife and I truly enjoyed our meals, and the atmosphere was busy, yet quiet enough for a romantic dinner.Special Features:
- Fantastic ExperienceSatisfiedEaterDined on 9/30/2014I dined at Cosmo's on a Tuesday evening at 8:30. It was quiet, there was good music playing, and the service was fantastic. I had to push my reservation twice and the staff at Cosmo's was extremely accommodating. We started with good wine and the fresh bread with roasted garlic. I was able to spread the clove like butter! My date ordered the Pasta with Vodka-Tomato Sauce which was outstanding (highly recommend)! I ordered the Oven Roasted Duck Breast and was not disappointed. Our server was able to speak about the menu and provide excellent advice. Overall, it was a fantastic dining experience and I look forward to another visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special placetheweedVIPDined on 9/20/2014A last minute decision on OpenTable found us at Cosmos. The food was terrific. Ended up ordering a special and it was! Our server was friendly and attentive. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Great Little PlaceFoodcritic2Dined on 9/19/2014Cosmos was outstanding. The food was fantastic, plentiful and the outside upper deck dining was great. Not alot of noise for a neighborhood scene. Strongly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Blast From Our Past2ChicagodiningexpatsDined on 9/13/2014A wonderful surprise right in Kalamazoo. Fine dining in a relaxed, but sophisticated, atmosphere. The decor and ambience was wonderful. The menu was varied and original. Both of our dinners were delicious, especially the "thin crust" Chicago style pizza - the only original and true Chicago pizza. And being able to go downstairs to the pub bar for an after dinner drink was fun, as were the peanuts in the shell. The staff and the patrons were all friendly, and all age groups were represented. Very different from most restaurants in the area. Our new favorite place to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for a special occasionnjoy2dineoutDined on 8/20/2014Although this wasn't our first time at Cosmo's, we enjoyed it as always. Nice selection of entrees and wines. Unfortunately, we were seated opposite a larger table of very noisy women yacking about all aspects of "teaching" and special ed -- that really got old quickly. I realize that the room size is limited and I realize that it is probably considered forbidden to tell a party that they are too noisy, but it would have been helpful if the waitress had suggested they consider going out on the patio. They might have taken the hint! Despite that, we enjoy dining here.Special Features:
- Unique dining experienceSpringer1Dined on 8/15/2014The food is very tasty and cooked individually, which means take your time and enjoy the experience. A unique experience with O'Duffy's on the first level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Homemade pasta & knockout dessertsOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/25/2014Cosmos was a delightful find in an unassuming neighborhood. The bar looked enticing, but we reserved a table on the second floor. The noise level was quite high and it was difficult for my party to hear conversation across a pretty large table. The food, however, was really excellent. The pastas are all home made and the menu is eclectic with some fun, ethnic options. We had pork fried rice, chicken tacos and artichoke pasta among members of our group. The desserts were outstanding--all home made, the peanut butter pie, black bottom pie and lemon cake with fresh Michigan berries were definitely worth revisiting. I enjoyed the coffee and the Michigan wines and beers were a fun addition to the bar options. I would recommend it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 93 reviews are from the Cosmos Cucina reviews archive.
- Mushy PastaDisappointingDined on 6/27/2014Quality of food seems to have slipped in the 2-or-so years since I last visited. We ordered two dishes with "hand made spaghetti" and both dishes amounted to a mess of overcooked mush. In one , spaghetti and scallops were floating in a soup of vegetables. Charging $2.50 for the small loaf of bread that was complimentary at one time is not nice. Without delicious, free, crusty bread, a decent pasta dish and cannoli's, drop the claims to serving Italian fare. (Also, there were a lot of servers standing around.)
- Entrees need attentionDaveDined on 6/27/2014My wife and I thoroughly enjoy Cosmos and O'Duffy's. We have dined here numerous times. Bartender Larissa is one of the best mixologists in the area and gives patrons the perfect amount of attention. This weekend for dinner we ordered the goat cheese fritter for an appetizer, along with a spinach feta burger and wagyu burger for entrees. The drinks and appetizer were wonderful; the entrees needed attention. The feta burger was put together sloppy and the wagyu burger I ordered (medium rare) was delivered medium well in a greasy, broken tostada shell. The plates lacked the usual finesse and freshness. We will return to Cosmos soon and hope to find the classic small plates and entrees we remember.Special Features:
- Great dinnerYashuaDined on 5/29/2014My wife and I came here for a relaxing dinner. We sat on their outdoor porch which was beautiful on a nice sunny day. There was a relaxed atmosphere with great food but the portion seemed a little small for the price. The restaurant was very nice as they have restored the inside of a beautiful old building.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- best part was the foodMichaelVIPDined on 5/9/2014As an out-of-towner, I have not frequented Cosmo's for a number of years now. The return trip was a happy one. The resto is on the second floor (the ground is a happenin' bar). We had trouble getting our service up and running but once we did, all was fine. Both entries were great (duck and King Pao) - and that's the draw. Menu is wide-ranging and food is well-prepared. The wooden floors make for a noisy evening so if conversation is a must, be prepared.
- Great for dinnerREMomDined on 5/9/2014We went here as a group from a conference, and the whole group enjoyed having dinner here. The food was very good and reasonably priced. The service was excellent, and we liked the location. The restaurant was a bit loud but not so loud that we couldn't have a conversation. We plan to return in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/2/2014Food great as always. Service slow. Noisy due to large group, better after they left. Downstairs bar extremely loud, but not much transmission to upstairs roomSpecial Features:
- Could be betterOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/2/2014So-so food for the price and a lousy wine list. Convenient location, and the bar downstairs is lovely.
- An amazing recommendationChief990Dined on 5/2/2014A friend recommended Cosmos to me. It is one of the best recommendations I have ever received. The service, drinks and food were all superb. The Rack of Lamb chops were perfectly cooked and my wife's Scallops were big and flavorful. Can't wait to try it when the weather warms up and we can sit outside.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool CosmosKalamazoofoodieDined on 5/1/2014Our favorite quiet restaurant in Kalamazoo....very quiet and wonderful food and ambience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointeddennyDined on 4/26/2014Food was innovative and excellent! The disappointment was gridlock in the kitchen. Five of six were served 1hr 10 min, the sixth 5-10 min later, after ordering.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent first-time experienceNewKazooFoodieDined on 4/17/2014we had two entrees: wonderful scallops and amazing rack of lamb. It was our first time at Cosmo's, and it was memorable. Our server was fantastic, knew the menu and offered great suggestions on drinks and appetizers.Special Features:
- close to hometigerpawDined on 4/12/2014nice to have a good place for great service , food and drink. Will return for sure!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Evening meal before theatrePollyDined on 4/5/2014We had a very nice meal before going to the Civic Theatre. Great for meeting up with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love Cosmo's :-}AnastasiyaDined on 2/18/2014Great food and service. It was very easy to get a reservation through Open Table. This place is amazing for brunch, love their outside patio!!! Their Eggs Benedict is the best :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's Day Dining @ CosmosDaveDined on 2/14/2014Wonderful meal, service and drinks. The corner table upstairs made for a quiet, romantic evening.Special Features:
- Great for Vegetarians!kzooDinerDined on 2/14/2014A good amount of vegetarian options. Not so much on their special Valentine's Day menu, but several options on the regular menu.Special Features:
- Super hospitality, great food,NewtoKazooDined on 2/14/2014Super hospitality, great food, excellent ambiance. We were 30 minutes late for our Valentine's day reservation, but they didn't even flinch. They just scratched around a bit and within a couple of minutes seated us at a table. Very pleasant experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was OK, but not worth priceRalphSDined on 2/11/2014We went to Cosmo's for the first time on Tuesday and ordered a Goat Cheese Fritter appetizer & waited about 20-25 minutes. As one of only 3 tables with patrons at it, this seemed a little excessive. Overall flavor of the appetizer was good, but not what we expected from the menu. Overall, the menu does not do a good job of explaining each offering (for example there is a Spinach Feta Burger on the menu, but nothing calls out that it is a Vegetarian option). My wife ended up getting the Spinach Feta Burger (she said there was often a burnt spinach taste to it) and I got the Wagyu burger (Kobe beef burger). Everything was OK, but did not match up with all of the positive things we have heard about Cosmo's over the year.
- Foodie food with moderate serviceGingerfoxyDined on 12/14/2013The food was fantastic! We had Mussels and a goat cheese fritter with pears to start to accompany our pomegranate cocktail and petite sirrah. This was followed by a butternut squash lasagna with arugula salad and wood grilled rack of lamb, again with arugula salad. Our mouths were so happy. $85 before tax. The service problem came when I asked for room temperature water. I asked for a small pot of hot water so I could make an adjustment; it came in a cup. Then, my dinner fork was taken with the completion of the starter and not replaced until after my lamb was served. I had to request the fork. Also, the entrees arrived while we were still eating our appetizers. She seemed put out by this request and held them for another 10 mins.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- look forward to seeing yourOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/7/2013look forward to seeing your dog in the restaurant ! not too happy with the stairs - too steep but love the dining room area!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The four of us (2 couples)couplesdiningDined on 12/6/2013The four of us (2 couples) were celebrating a special evening (birthday). It was also the first night for their new winter menu. WOW!! The food was absolutely outstanding with excellent pairings of food throughout the evening. We also enjoyed a nice bottle of wine that complimented the appetizers and meals very nicely. None of us had dined at Cosmos for 5 or 6 years and we were very pleased with the food as well as the ambience of the restaurant (upstairs). We will be returning frequently and certainly recommending to our friends. Well done!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cosmos CucinaHalsDined on 11/22/2013We decided te last minute on Friday night to try Cosmo's and were able to book a reservation on Open Table for an hour later. We got a nice table in the corner upstairs. Very nice ambience. The waitress was very attentive and knowledgeable about the menu and made suggestions. The prices are really reasonable. We ordered two of the more expensive items on the meu, rack of lamb and sea scallops in coconut curry which were marvelous values for only $22.95 each. The food was excellent and the portions generous. This was our fst visit and we will defnitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Arrive an hour earlyCaseycogsDined on 11/15/2013And, enjoy the O'Duffy's Bar on the ground floor, then walk upstairs for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding food and ambiance!DRNODined on 11/14/2013First visit to Cosmos and what a lovely place. It is above an Irish bar on Vine Street in Kalamazoo. I will return with my husband as the menu has various small plates and entrees. The lobster-vodka ravioli with shrimp was excellent and so was the salad.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodCshierVIPDined on 11/8/2013The atmosphere is comfortable and upbeat. The menu selection covers everything you would think of plus a few more. We had the squash risotto and the Ahi Tuna special and they were both tremendous.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT FOOD, REASONABLE PRICESILVERPALATEDined on 10/12/2013IMAGINATIVE,WELL SEASONED FOOD, THE OVERALL QUALITY ISVERY HIGH .NOT A GREAT PLACE FOR KIDSSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food!time2eatDined on 10/12/2013This was our first time at Cosmo's for dinner. We had a party of four and everyone loved their food. Our server forgot to put in our appetizer order and overall service was a bit slow, but I'll try the place again because the food was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Perfect PourJCjcDined on 10/4/2013The Guinness is perfect. Just spent 8 days in Ireland and couldn't find a better one.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceWildcatDined on 9/13/2013Great experience, pan seared scallops were as good as I have ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good VarietysometimedinerDined on 7/31/2013Good variety of dishes, some "normal" dishes and a number of more unusual dishes that are very good. Much better for breakfasts, which are outstanding, than for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Meals for All!OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/20/2013We had an early dinner party of five. Each one of us loved every bite of our chosen meals. Don't hesitate to indulge in this delightful spot. Not the same old food. One of Kalamazoo's many great dining choices.Special Features: