Cosmopolitan - Telluride
300 West San Juan Avenue
Telluride, CO 81435Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Cosmopolitan - Telluride
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cosmotelluride.com/
- Phone: (970) 728-1292
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Sunday @ 5:00pm - 9:30pm
Bar: Monday - Sunday @ 5pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Fusion / Eclectic, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chad Scothorn
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: The Cosmopolitan offers a 32 seat wine cellar as a private dining room. The "Tasting Cellar" is available seven days a week with 48 hours notice.
- Private Party Contact: Nicole or Mark 9707281292x
- Special Events: Happy Hour daily from 5pm-6pm with 50% off specials, $7 wine, and $5 Cosmos!
A word from Cosmopolitan - Telluride
Once a grand saloon in the thriving mining camp of Telluride, The Cosmopolitan is now home to the fresh, innovative creations of Chad Scothorn, who has received national attention and praise for his original, fresh approach to food preparation. Serving dinner nightly, this elegantly simple 80 seat restaurant is located in the newly remodeled luxurious Hotel Columbia at the base of the Gondola. Known locally as "the Cosmo", the custom cherry wood bar is the perfect place to unwind.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
Cosmopolitan - Telluride - Best Restaurants in Telluride ›
Cosmopolitan - Telluride reviews from OpenTable diners
57 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (48)special occasion (34)romantic (25)neighborhood gem (24)hot spot (22)notable wine list (19)good for groups (15)vibrant bar scene (14)scenic view (8)kid-friendly (3)great for outdoor dining (3)late-night find (2)Show More
- Always Amazing ExperiencePleasedVIPDined on 11/6/2014Great service, great food, great evening! I've been to Cosmo many times ... it never disappoints.Special Features:
- Always greatPattycakeDined on 10/24/2014I live in Telluride and own the local chocolate shop. Cosmo is a favorite of mine as it is most of the chefs in town. Great on every level.Special Features:
- Great Food Great Vibe!wellnessrnVIPDined on 10/18/2014The Cosmopolitan is a great restaurant when visiting Telluride. We could tell it is a favorite of locals and visitors. My husband and I shared the Burrata salad, fabulous! We both had the veal short ribs with creamy polenta and my mom had the lamb sirloin. Both were delicious with a fabulous blend of sauces. A delight to the palate. The portions are large and filling so we weren't able to fit in dessert although they all sounded good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Telluride GemAnnieOakleyVIPDined on 10/12/2014This was quite a find, from our perspective. A bit pricey, but the quality of the food was outstanding and service very good. Be sure to start your meal with a class "cosmo" cocktail. The perfect ending was the "coffee and donuts" (NOLA-style beignets).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbSuzanneDined on 10/9/2014We were treated SO specially for our anniversary. Excellent service, amazing food (we had the salmon and the osso buco) and the wine was perfect with our meals.Special Features:
- Turned away with a reservationRun2eatVIPDined on 10/9/2014We arrived promptly for our 7:45 reservation. The hostess told us our table wouldn't be ready for 30 minutes but we could wait at the bar. We asked about the 3 empty tables that we could see from the hostess stand. We were informed those were for "special" guests. We went to another place that wanted our business. The tables were still empty when we walked by 2 hours later after eating dinner elsewhere.
- Como- tellurideTimtheggmanDined on 10/3/2014Great fine I telluride food was great bartender made perfect como.Special Features:
- Fun eveningFantasticDined on 9/29/2014Food was exceptionally good and service was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dynamiteDined on 9/27/2014Whenever I really want to impress my out of town guests, I bring them to Cosmo...this event was very special; I'd waited 40 yrs for this particular friend to visit me, and he and his friends were simply blown away by the offerings and quality of the food. Exquisite.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A destination within a destinationlawguyDined on 9/19/2014Telluride has many sites to see, experiences to participate in, and places to eat. Cosmopolitan is not just a place to eat . . . it is a place to dine. An anniversary is such an occasion. Our server explained the Cosmo preparation of its lamb, and it was as described. The surf and turf melted in my mouth. A wonderful place to meet others, and definitely an experience to be shared. Unless you know where to look, you'll miss the James Beard award . . . signed by Julia Child. A must dine in Telluride.Special Features:
- Less is not always moreDenSSVIPDined on 9/6/2014Pretty good food, but terrible experience: Waited quite a while to be met by waitress Casey who was more interested in a large party table next to us Little flies were buzzing around our table Menu was different than on their own website - told to call ahead to check Food came out fast, really fast - 2 minutes?! Before our wine arrived... Food arrived without a dietary restriction being addressed, had to be sent back. Once back, waitress didn't check to make sure it was ok. Only checked in after we were done eating and large table departed. Goodwill dessert was served that ignored previously addressed dietary restriction rather than offering something else or adjust the bill as it was apparent waitress knew things were going poorly.
- Cozy dinner in TellurideRestaurantBoyVIPDined on 9/3/2014We enjoyed our dinner at the Cosmopolitan, which is very conveniently located 1/2 block from the base of the gondola coming down from Mountain Village. Warm, inviting atmosphere with foodie-worthy salads, entrees and desserts. A bit pricey however: 2 salads + 2 entrees + 2 glasses of wine = $150 before tip.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OverratedComptoirVIPDined on 8/31/2014The one salvation for our visit to Cosmopolitan was the staff. The hostess accommodated us despite a confusion about our reservation. The service was short-staffed but was very attentive despite this. The big disappointment was the food which lacked distinguishing flavors. Our steaks were well cooked but absolutely unseasoned. The more complex the description on the menu, the blander the dish. The one bright spot was our scallop ceviche which was very good. Next time we are in Telluride, we won't be back here.Special Features:
- Love this restaurant!SpagrlVIPDined on 8/29/2014Food was amazing and wait staff-particularly Eric were attentive. We will be back and as a local business owner, I always recommend Cosmo to those visiting Telluride!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeFoodieVIPDined on 8/28/2014Food and service excellent. I would highly recommend. Wine list very good with a knowledgable staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dynamiteDined on 8/27/2014I cannot think of a better restaurant to show off to my out of town friends and family the exquisite quality of food, service and ambiance than the Cosmo...our recent guests were blown away by everything. Thank You!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good as alwaysEd5640VIPDined on 8/27/2014Continues to be one of the best dinning experiences in TellurideSpecial Features:
- Excellent locally sourced mealTheknotDined on 8/26/2014Service and food were excellent. All dishes were locally sourced, fresh and perfectly prepared. The wine list is extensive and generally reasonably priced, but could use some more less expensive options. Dessert was tempting on the menu and delicious on the plate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in TellurideFoodJunkie1Dined on 8/25/2014Cosmopolitan is one of, if not the most consistent restaurants in Telluride. Always a GREAT meal! Starting with the home made bread, homemade Cesar Salad and Dressing, to Lobster corn dogs, soups, but especially their filet mignon. NO ONE does it better, in Telluride, or ANY PLACE else! The deserts are also to die for! A reason, why reservations are a must!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/20/2014Unique menu with lots of flavor. Great for a nice night out. Anythinf from Sushi rolls and lobster corn dogs to start along with pork and duck for main course.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantastic food and servicejhfoodieDined on 8/16/2014The entire experience is always top notch. A must dine venue when in the telluride.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great nite for cosmosLulusDined on 8/16/2014Food was very good appetizer was good but it has been better chopped saled one of the best fish stew what I usually get when I go there very very good.Special Features:
- Average food for 1st time in yearsMbaflyboyVIPDined on 8/12/2014Three of our four items came out with issues in preparation. This was the first time out of many we've ever been less than thrilled with our meal here. I hope it was one nights lack of kitchen enthusiasm we won't see again. We even asked if the restaurant had been sold or the chef changed it was so surprising. Service was still very good and we will definitely still be back as we have had many exceptionally prepared meals.Special Features:
- Way too rich...outfordinnerVIPDined on 8/10/2014The food is very good and well-prepared but everything is covered in sauce, butter or cream and way too rich for our taste. We did our best to make it heart-healthy but it was still too heavy. Good service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Stylish dining room and cuisineGuidoVIPDined on 8/6/2014The Cosmopolitan is a stylish and classy dining room where diners are greeted and served by an attentive and knowledgeable staff. We found the entree with two styles of pork to be flavorful and filling. There is an extensive wine list featuring multiple continents and a wide range of prices. Consult the staff for spot on guidance on flavor profile and value. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- My Favorite Restaurant in TellurideSunnyVIPDined on 8/6/2014Cosmopolitan is my favorite restaurant in Telluride. The food and service are amazing. They have a wonderful cocktail menu full of interesting flavors and seasonal creations. The service is prompt, professional, and friendly. I usually get the fish stew but the sushi is awesome as well. The kids menu is fantastic and my son ate every bit of his steak and mashed potatoes and he is a bit of a picky eater. I cannot say enough good things about Cosmopolitan in Telluride.Special Features:
- Dining in TellurideParticularDined on 7/31/2014Very good food. Great service. The dounuts were worth every bite and calorie!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/30/2014This place does it right. Food was out-of-this-world with an imaginative and eclectic. The menu changes frequently and all of the ingredients are combined to create incredibly delicious dishes. I had salmon cooked to perfection. The seafood stew (eaten by my husband) was fresh and a perfect balance between the sea and land-based additions. We highly recommend this restaurant for anyone looking for a culinary treat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 408 reviews are from the Cosmopolitan - Telluride reviews archive.
- Disappointing DinnerFoodloverVIPDined on 7/28/2014I've been dining at Cosmo for many years. This will likely be my last meal there. The menu is rather boring. My beet salad was dry with no dressing,had a morsel of goat cheese and pine nuts. Salmon portion was small and tasteless. Sushi roll of salmon and yellowtail was delicious but way overpriced at $20,especially sine it wasn't really a roll with a mere 5 small pieces.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/22/2014Cosmo is probably the best restaurant in Telluride. It is consistently good with imaginative menus and interesting, locally sourced ingredients.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious dining at Cosmo!samlongchefDined on 7/21/2014Our server, Ginger, was excellent, friendly, funny, and efficient. The food was delicious, and some of the combinations were quite impressive. The ambiance was cozy but cutting-edge stylish. The wine list was interesting. We loved our dinner. We will be back when we return to Telluride!Special Features:
- Really enjoyed CosmopolitanHelenSVIPDined on 7/13/2014This was my first trip to Cosmopolitan, and I will certainly go there again when I visit Telluride. Our group of 6 arrived for our reservation and were promptly seated. Our waitress, Kate, was extremely knowledgeable in regards to the menu, and the wine list. We had 2 wonderful wine choices. Our meals were all perfectly cooked, and delicious. Would definitely recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food and servicePerpetualStudentVIPDined on 7/10/2014We've been going to Cosmopolitan for years and are never disappointed. Food was outstanding and service was attentive but not overbearing. We had the barbeque salmon and were blown away by the combination of flavors. I would recommend a stop here whenever you are in town. A bonus is that it is right across from the gondola, so very convenient if you are staying in Mountain Village.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently good, year after year.AngusHopperDined on 7/10/2014This restaurant never disappoints and is a go to spot each year on our Telluride vacation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- May have been their off night.MikeVIPDined on 7/5/2014We come to Telluride at least 4 times a year, every time we dine at the Cosmopolitan. The service was great as usual, always make a reservation or you will have a wait. This time however the food was good, but not the usual fantastic. It could have been an off night for them, or it could have been us. We will definitely go back, once out of 20+ super good visits we can live with. I know next time it will again exceed my expectations.Special Features:
- Best Restaurant in Telluridejs2236VIPDined on 7/4/2014Cosmo is absolutely the BEST restaurant in Telluride! We have been travelling to Telluride for over 15 years and Cosmo has been consistently excellent year after year. The food is always super fresh, deliciously prepared, and expertly presented. The service is always top-notch as well - very attentive and paced well. Servers are always knowledgeable about the menu, and all are well versed in the wine list as well. Thanks for another great evening, we'll see you again on our next trip for sure!Special Features:
- Fantastic dinnerChicagoToddDined on 6/30/2014Wow....we almost always visit Cosmopolitan when we visit Telluride (we had our rehearsal dinner there when were married in Telluride). I had a really great octopus appetizer, and the super amazing tuna special with noodles and cream sauce. Man, they knocked that out of the park! Unfortunately we did have to wait about 20 mins for our first cocktail....and our group does not like to wait for cocktails.. ;-) The food really was outstanding this time.Special Features:
- OverpricedSouthernFoodieVIPDined on 6/30/2014If you are going to charge such high prices, the food should be astounding. The lobster fritters were bland, with little lobster meat. The lamb was just OK and not worth $50. The steak and lobster were just OK but not worth the price. However, the sushi was very good and so was the salmon. I would not return based on the high prices and generally average food.Special Features:
- Everything I ExpectedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/26/2014Reviews we had checked prior to making the reservation were strong and this place certainly lived up to it! We were looking for a quiet restaurant to relax and enjoy a leisurely dinner - and they hit the mark! The service was excellent - great wine list! We had the lobster corn dogs as an appetizer - do NOT miss these. They were truly to die for!! light, crisp - excellent! We ordered four different entrees and all were exceptional! Cesar salad was wonderful as was the warm beet salad! Duck was wonderful (so the duck lover said!) The steak melted in your mouth - the scallops were heaven - and the salmon was amazingly fresh and perfectly prepared!! We skipped dessert - just too full!!Special Features:
- Awesome restaurantFoodieVIPDined on 6/24/2014This restaurant was outstanding! The food and service were excellent. Great choices for meals. Wonderful wine selection. I celebrated my birthday here and the dessert was to die for. All waiter recommendations were perfect! I want to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.