2660 Calhoun St
San Diego, CA 92110Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.oldtowncosmopolitan.com/
- Phone: 6192971874
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday Brunch: 10:00am - 2:00pm; Daily Lunch: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Mexican
- Executive Chef: Andrew Sasloe
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area (bar only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: From an intimate dinner party in Bandini’s private sitting room, to events of up to 250 guests in our sala or heated orchard patio, The Cosmopolitan Hotel and Restaurant is ready to host your next special event. To see our floor plans and menu, as well as to obtain additional information on The Cosmo, please call us at 619-297-1874.
- Private Party Facilities: From an intimate dinner party in Bandini’s private sitting room, to events of up to 350 guests in our sala or heated orchard patio, The Cosmopolitan Hotel and Restaurant is ready to host your next special event. To obtain floor plans and menu, please call 619-297-1874
- Private Party Contact: Debbie Pedersen 6192971874
- Entertainment: Enjoy piano with Michaelangelo Sat & Sun from noon to 5 and Doug Stevens every Friday and Sat from 5 to 9. Classic American songs on guitar and harmonica with Gary Lehman Wed, Thurs from 5 to 9 and on Sunday from 5 to 8. Mair Rathburn on harp from the veranda Sat from 11:30 to 2.
- Special Events: Holiday Parties Booking Now. Whether it be a casual lunch for friends, a company party for a hundred or a formal dinner in the Bandini Room, our catering staff is here to help in planning all aspects of your special event, from menu choices through on-site reception.
- Cross Street: Mason & Juan Streets in Old Town State Park
- Public Transit: We are two blocks away from the main San Diego Trolley Stop in Old Town. We are one block north of the Old Town Trolley stop on Twiggs Street. Cosmopolitan Restaurant & Hotel is in the Old Town State Park.
- Parking: Public Lot
- Parking Details: Public parking is available is several lots around the Old Town State Park. The closest lot is accessible from Juan Street between Taylor and Mason. There is also free parking at the CalTrans lot at Juan and Taylor streets on weekends and after 5 pm weekdays. Valet is available on some weekends. Please check website for details.
A word from Cosmopolitan Restaurant
The Old Town Cosmopolitan Hotel and Restaurant embodies the definition cosmopolitan, but we've taken it a step further and included the span of history and time in our offerings. Our goal at the Cosmo is to artfully combine the past with the present, melding the modern palate with historical foods of 1870s San Diego. Our menu promises a journey through time creating modern dishes from historic ingredients. Al fresco dining is de rigueur at the Cosmo, but indoor service is available in the Sala. For intimate gatherings or back-room-deal making, we recommend the Bandini Room – where Juan Bandini's original four-foot-thick adobe walls will ensure privacy from within and without and where Chef has private access from the kitchen.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cosmopolitan Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
- Interesting..OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/16/2013I had heard that the Cosmopolitan had been redone and was very interested in going and bringing a friend with me. The sun was setting and the wind picked up and so dining outside didn't feel promising but that's where the hostess decided we should go. After the drinks came we asked if we could dine inside. We were led into the main dining room and took our seats. Now this was just after 5pm and they gave us the lunch menu. Then we had 3 different servers and the hostess ask us if we were ready to order. After asking for the dinner menu, took them roughly 10 minutes….Special Features:
- Old Town ReliablegrannybobDined on 6/15/2013If you want a change from Mexican food in Old Town, this is a good bet. This place has some Mexican Food on the menu but it is mostly American. There is a large selection from land or sea. The desserts are better than average. It is comfortable and very close to the Cygnet Theatre.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Maybe I just don't like Early CalifAlphacatVIPDined on 5/25/2013There's nothing "wrong" with this place. Our food was fine. The drinks were fine. I just didn't like it. Maybe it's the "Early California" atmosphere? Maybe it's the hurried, anxious staff, none of whom I felt we connected with? They seemed like nice people, but they were in and out so fast I hardly saw their faces. Does the mgmt have a goal for them to do a million things at once?
- Our favorite Old Town restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/12/2013It's our favorite restaurant in Old Town. The patio is perfect for any occasion. The steamed mussels and clams is a "must have" that we order every time we go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was very good, brunchTmanninerDined on 5/12/2013Food was very good, brunch menu a little limited. Waiter made some errors with our food orders. One in party ordered a Linguica omelette, but got a chicken omelette instead. Another had a side potatoes, had to ask twice for them. The restaurant itself is very quaint in the heart of Old Town, Beautiful outside dining area with live music.Special Features:
- Good food....terrible serviceFoodie82Dined on 5/12/2013I had never been to this place before and thought we should try it out for Mother's Day brunch. The food was good, once we got it. It took forever to order then forever to get our food and our waiter was never to be found. Maybe it's better on a non holiday.
- Cinco De MayoOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/5/2013Old town on Cinco De Mayo is CRAZY!!!! I am so glad that the Cosmopolitan let us make reservations and had the table ready for us when we got there!!! The food was good and I'm not going to comment on the service because it was such a busy day that it wouldn't be fair to judge! I will go back on a calmer afternoon and enjoy myself once again.Special Features:
- Great for romantic occasionsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/11/2013My husband took me here for our anniversary. The food was great and the desserts were amazing! They set our table up so nicely than the rest and sat us next to the romantic fire pit. They treated us so well and they definitely exceeded out expectations!Special Features:
- When I first arrived the HostessOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/5/2013When I first arrived the Hostess checked me in for my reservation but couldn't seat me for 10 minutes!Service was extremely slow, had to flag down server several times. Ambiance was romantic & nice but service needs helpSpecial Features:
- Enjoyed the food, music andellenVIPDined on 3/29/2013Enjoyed the food, music and service. Our waiter was super as were all his helpers. Very accommodating.Special Features:
- Lovely place. Very, veryOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/26/2013Lovely place. Very, very busy. Everyone who helped us was extremely nice.
- The room was very uninviting,OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/9/2013The room was very uninviting, felt like Comfort Suite Motel restaurant, food just ok wouldn't go back
- First I would like to sayearthdragonwingDined on 2/23/2013First I would like to say that I got to the restaurant way an hour early. I asked if we could be seated early or I would wait til my reservation time. They told me to come back in 10 minutes and they would have something for me. It took them to my reservation time to get me in. I shouldn't complain, but they made me wait around when I could have been walking around Old Town til my reservation time. The dinner was bland, there was absolutely no garlic in the scampi. How do you make scampi without garlic? The Jazz singer was very good, but the noise level of the restaurant was way too loud to hear the waiter or for conversation. I like conversation at dinner, especially when I'm with my family.Special Features:
- Mislabeled menu itemOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/23/2013I chose this spot because it was close to the Theater in Old Town and offered both Mexican food and other entrees for a party of six. I had eaten there once before in this incarnation (several times before as Casa de Bandini). What I liked: they take (and honor) reservations, location, "small meals" plates, the olive sampler, the polenta. What I didn't like: Two of us had "pork confit". What we got was dry pork that I guess could have been OK if it had been put into a burrito with a lot of condiments (which I'm guessing is its true purpose). A really dry pile of pork is not "confit". The pile of undressed arugula didn't help. I want this location to succeed, and the staff was nice, but the food was just embarrassing.
- Great Food!sortoffoodieDined on 2/15/2013Food was fabulous; husband had steak and I had shrimp with mushroom ravioli (yum!). Service would be considered spotty in America. Our waiter had other tables on the patio - we were in the main dining room. Out of sight, out of mind. We had lots of time so were not bothered. The service was more European style.
- Expected moreOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2013In all honesty the food was good and decently priced. Its just that for a Valentine's night I would have figured they have more staff on hand. The service was just a bit too slow for my liking. From getting us our drinks to getting us our food it just felt a little to drawn out. To top it off the didn't cook my wife's steak correctly and had to take it back. I realize that valentine's night is usually not a good night to judge a restaurant on, but the restaurant was not that busy and they really should have had more staff on hand. The waiter, as hard as he was working, just didn't have enough hands to serve everyone quick enough.Special Features:
- Jazz and Good EatsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2013Excellent table service. Wine and food pairing for Valentines dinner menue was awesome. Great place to listen to jazz (piped/live), which is sorely missing in San Diego. Stay classy Cosmo and keep it real...Special Features:
- When I made the reservation,NogoingbackDined on 2/14/2013When I made the reservation, I noted I would like a booth or wall table, they took this too literally, and seated us at a small table at the back of the bar section, with my husband facing a wall! We were served by the bar tender, no waiter. The food was delicious, but I doubt we'll ever go back!Special Features:
- Reservation made in advancedDeeDeeDined on 2/14/2013Reservation made in advanced - confirmed only outdoor seating available. Upon arrival interior of restaurant mostly empty, 2 tables occupied on the patio. Seated at last table in back of patio next to noisy outdoor bar with its door open with a view of storage room, not near the firepit as promised. Waited 5-10 minutes for hostess to be reseated near firepit. 2 of us seated at large table for 6 told and be finished by 7:15 - next reservation - felt pressure to finish dinner. Our waiter the bartender, tried to take care of us as best he could - gaps in service because he tended the bar. By time we left only 2 other seats occupied in patio. Informed hostess not happy and long time customer - she said well, you sat by firepit. Not returning.
- we went as agroup of 4 onMmmmVIPDined on 2/2/2013we went as agroup of 4 on a Sat. eve. for dinner. Restaurant empty. had very poor service with cold food.will not return.
- Just what we expected and better!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/26/2013Found this place on the Internet and was excited to go to historical landmark. My boyfriend and I wanted to make it a date night and invited our friends. We all had a really good time the waiter was awesome it was great atmosphere thanks again.Special Features:
- I was really looking forwardmycroxyxDined on 1/25/2013I was really looking forward to try the Cosmopolitan. I was excited by the historical location and recent renovation.I was very disappointed with the quality of our dining experience.I expected a high quality business and found everything but that. Starting from seating in a dark dreary room with no warmth ,the lighting was dim, the candles tiny, the pitures on the walls bland and bleak. It was raining outside & the room was freezing, I had to wear my coat.Our food was aweful, my appetizer tiny, 3 tiny pieces of a thin bread-type substance topped with even a smaller piece of smoked salmon, no garnish-three disappointing bites. My entree-"seafood grill" consisted of 2 unseasoned scallops & 2 small shrimp(grainy),dessert- a dry, stale tart.
- Fantastic Churros!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 1/21/2013The Churros are fantastic! In addition, the outdoor fire pit and old west style is comfortable business casual dining. Great for groups or a romantic night for two. The chicken fingers are probably some of the best we have ordered off of a kids meal. We really enjoy this dining experience and restaurant.Special Features:
- EMPTY for a reasonOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/20/2013Service was extremely slow and unorganized. We waited forever for someone to show up at the front to seat us and then it appeared to be an inconvenience for them. The waiter didn't know the menu and the place was EMPTY. Should have been the clue we missed. Definitely felt like we put them out to serve us. Oh, and the menu was confusing and the food okay. Won't be back for brunch though the bar menu might be when everyone goes. They wanted to tell us the history of the building more. They should be focusing on the restaurant or it to will be history.
- Excellent service and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/18/2013I recently had dinner with friends at the Cosmopolitan in Old Town San Diego. I remember the building as the old Casa De Bandini Restaurant. I was a little hesitant to go because I loved the Casa De Bandini and was sad to see it go. We started at the bar with drinks mixed by bartender Chris. He is adorable, attentive, friendly and makes an great hand blended Margarita. He told us the story of the conversion from Casa De Bandini to the Cosmopolitan hotel and restaurant and that is the same owners. Once I heard that I knew we were in for good food. Our dinner was superb. The service was the best I have had in years. Everything we ordered was delicious. Our filet was cooked to perfection.Special Features:
- Four of us went for RestaurantfoodloverDined on 1/17/2013Four of us went for Restaurant Week. The salad appetizers were good and large; the crab cake was dry and tasteless. The salmon entree was beautifully cooked but under-seasoned; the accompanying vegetables were acceptable. The mixed seafood grill on pasta entree was bad. The shrimp and scallop were overcooked and dry; the mussel was ok. There was an acceptable tomato sauce on the pasta, but nothing on the shellfish so they were dry. The desserts were acceptable. The wine list had a good price selection. We were not very impressed with the restaurant week food and probably won't return
- Went for Restaurant Week.SplinterVIPDined on 1/13/2013Went for Restaurant Week. Very good pork belly appetizer, then a poached salmon that was like velvet. Finished up with a sinful bread pudding on a bed of chocolate and caramel. A nice wine, and good service. Better than previous visits.Special Features:
- As good as we had hopedboldsirbrianVIPDined on 1/11/2013We had been meaning to visit Cosmopolitan for some time and were not disappointed. We shared some very tasty Calamari as an appetizer and both had fish to follow, the Sea Bass being the pick of our choices. The waiter was attentive and service was slick without being too quick. We will return in summer to eat outside (too cold for our taste in January)Special Features:
- i was there only for new yearsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/31/2012i was there only for new years eve. i was advised in advance that dinner would be finished by the time i arrived, but that a couple of items would be available. i had the beef stew. it was excellent, with a basket of (sourdough?) bread, and a first-class margarita was just what i needed. at midnight i toasted the new year with a glass of champagne.
- Food was great, good quality,DeeDeeDined on 12/28/2012Food was great, good quality, the Carnitas with a hint of orange and cinnamon was great and unique. Good wines and good service. Would recommend this restaurnt.Special Features:
- Setting is very nice and muchOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/27/2012Setting is very nice and much appreciated decor. Food has unique flavor and is not your standard fare of everything you could get elsewhere. Nicely presented on servings.Special Features:
- Skip it - a big disappointment!JBSworldtravelorVIPDined on 12/21/2012Big fans of the old Casa Bandini at this location. It was a warm, relaxed, Spanish influence atmosphere with great Mexican food and one of the best seafood salads in San Diego. So disappointed when we found in its place the Cosmopolitan. The exterior of the building looks fine - but the "restoration" of the interior is abysmal-Cold, bland, and unimaginative -our first clue we should leave. We were seated in a table way in the back of the nearly empty restaurant, where we waited for close to 20 minutes before anyone spoke to us or got us drinks. It took another 15 minutes to get our drinks and then we ordered dinner - which took 40 minutes to arrive. The food was only fair - expensive and barely hot. Would not recommend.
- We had a very special evening.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/21/2012We had a very special evening. The food was great and the service warm and personal from the moment we arrived. The piano playing around the outdoor fireplace in the garden patio gave us a wonderful time.Special Features:
- Outstanding Place to DineOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/8/2012The Cosmopolitan was an execellent restaurant. Everyone was extremely friendly and attentive. The food was extraordinary and the cocktails were devine, especially the white wine sangria. The princes were very reasonable. I would highly recommend this restaurant as well as the bed and breakfast. I toured one of the rooms and heard about the ghosts (which I loved) and am planning on booking a stay in the future. The Innkeeper, Lori, was extremely knowledgeable and most willing to accommodate our every need. I will return again and again!Special Features:
- The drinks were good and theOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/6/2012The drinks were good and the food was fine, quite good actually. The server needed help, though as he seemed to be the only one working, even though there were others around. It was fairly early for dinner, 5:30, but he was overwhelmed. Made our experience frustrating and slow.Special Features:
- love love loveOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/22/2012Scott was our server. AMAZING! So friendly and he even managed to make time to tell us the history of the hotel/bar/restaurant. It felt very cozey like we were in our own dining room. Can't wait to go back! Ask for Scott!! :DSpecial Features:
- Great historic site restaurant,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/9/2012Great historic site restaurant, could use help in the staff to assist the waiters.Special Features:
- Today-service was slow becauseAnchi123VIPDined on 11/3/2012Today-service was slow because of the specific waiter we had. He did not pay attention to his tables and there was alot of lag between ordering,eating, and being able to take care of our check....
- We paid our bill completelyOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/2/2012We paid our bill completely & 20% tip to boot but the service was absolutely lacking even our waiter felt ad because we had been there over 20"minutes before even getting menus. Then honestly we never even drank our 2nd drinks but paid for them because we wanted to drive home safe and waiting so long i was under the weather too bad....
- The Kobe Beef was DRY. TheJWP99VIPDined on 10/28/2012The Kobe Beef was DRY. The chili verde was excellent. Why were points not available ?Special Features: