501 Davenport Rd
Toronto, ON M4V 1B8Neighborhood:
St. Clair West
Fusion / EclecticPrice: CAN$31 to CAN$50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.cornerhouse.sites.toronto.com/
- Phone: 4169232604
- Hours of Operation:
Tues to Saturday Dinner only 5:30pm on...Sunday and Monday closed. BUT we are open for SUNDAYS during Winterlicious 2012 and extending the price and pre-fix menu till March 24th ..also for pre-theatre. IF YOU ARE BOOKING 5P AND UP, PLEASE CALL US LIVE 416 923 2604..FOR WINTERIICIOUS RESOS ONLY...THANK YOU AND LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU ALL..THIS IS OUR 10TH YEAR
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Fusion / Eclectic
- Executive Chef: Herbert Barnsteiner
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Delivery, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wine
- Catering: We cater in the area. We cater at the back door. We also can deliver to your house. We customize any special order or function.We also can do take-out
- Private Party Facilities: Five private dining rooms are available. Seating from 10 to 30 people.
- Private Party Contact: Michelle 4169232604
- Entertainment: The co-owner Michelle.. also dabbles in Entertainment
Check out Michelle B on OPRAHS "OWN NETWORK" called................ "BIG VOICE"....hosted and coached by Elaine Overholt..vocal guru/coach to the stars. Watch how one of my dreams come true in the Music Industry. Thank you for your support Michelle B
- Special Events: JOIN US FOR VALENTINES OR TAKE ADVANTAGE OF WINTERLICOUS THE SUNDAY BEFORE VALENTINES FOR $35 3 COURSE..LAST DAY OF WINTERLICIOUS
- Public Transit: We are at Dupont Subway (just below Casa Loma) a four minute walk from subway.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: FREE PARKING on Madison after 6pm and meter parking on Davenport..AFTER 6PM FREE..also free parking at the school beside us..also at SOthebys after 630pm
A word from Corner House
After completing a 3 year classical culinary apprenticeship at the restaurant Foerenhos in Garmisch, Germany, Herbert Barnsteiner spent the next 8 years gaining extensive culinary experience in some of Europe’s top restaurants and hotels in Switzerland and Germany including a 2-star Michelin restaurant in The Black Forest, Hotel Barreis. After immigrating to Canada in 1988, Herbert held top positions starting at trendy Acqua. After Acqua, Herbert worked 4 years with the Oliver/Bonacini Group becoming Executive Chef for 2 years with popular Jump restaurant. Following Jump, Herbert and his wife Michelle made a decision to give Herbert a stage for his culinary talents and open up their own restaurant. They found a beautiful historical house, in the foothills of Casa Loma called The Corner House. After 8 weeks of renovations, Herbert and Michelle opened up the Corner House July,1999. Michelle runs the front of the house. The newly renovated Corner House has had a wonderful new beginning..Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Corner House reviews from OpenTable diners
- So sad to see them go.....LovetoEatDined on 2/28/2014When I found out Corner House was closing on Feb 28, there was no doubt in my mind that I needed to return for one final dinner. The food and service has always been impeccable, and this time was no different. I am sad to see them go, but heard that the owners will be opening up a new restaurant in late fall/early winter in the same area - I can't wait and wish them all the best.I would recommend this to a friend.
- SPLENDID SURPRISEOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/18/2014The small separate dining rooms make this a very cosy and intimate place to dine whether it's two or a group of people. We went when they had extended Winterlicious. The portions were generous and the food delicious. Each of us had different selections from the menu and we thoroughly felt satisfied with each course. We were amazed at the service especially in small rooms - attentive and very efficient.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RomanticNavreetDined on 2/15/2014Very nice restaurant. My bf and I went there for our valentine's date but on the 15th. Overall a very nice restaurant, good food and good service. The manager/owner had asked us to move tables mid-dinner because she wanted to seat a group of 3 and we were seated next to a table for two (which she wanted to pull over to accommodate the group). We said okay and moved. She said she would adjust the bill for the inconvenience but never ended up doing it. I have never been moved in a restaurant before, never expected this from a high end restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little bewilderedFoodieDined on 2/15/2014I had heard such great reviews and find I was expecting alittle bit more in the way of food tastiness. I am not an over hte top foodie but have sous chef'd for a number of years and find I would have liked a little salt on the table. NOt to mention a red wine sauce on the roast beef? That was suppose to resemble some kind of aus jus on the striploin???
- Food good, but service so-soOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/15/2014This is the second time I've eaten at Corner House during Winterlicious and found the service disappointing. They seem to make an effort to not be friendly. Making people wait outside in the bitter cold till everyone is there, even though there are plenty of tables inside and the first to arrive is eager to order a drink. I go out for dinner about once a month with the same theatre friend and we've never had such unfriendly service. We'll go back to Bistro Tournesol as our restaurant of choice in that neighbourhood - VERY friendly staff there and the food is also very good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food ... surprising prices.FrankDined on 2/14/2014Overall the food was pretty good, but the sticker shock of the prices (which weren't shown on the menu) left a bad taste in our mouth. We went on Valentines Day, so we expected a bit of a price bump but $185+tip for 2 people - with 1 glass of ok wine seems extreme.
- Food was very good and nicelyluvfinediningDined on 2/14/2014Food was very good and nicely displayed. Waiter was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was excellent, withMyselfDined on 2/14/2014The food was excellent, with much to choose from. The wine was good. I didn't like seeing people's coats on the backs of their chairs (trip factor) and coats should be checked at the door. That and all the flashing phones taking photos took away from the overall experience of feeling as though I was dining in a nice restaurant. I would return, and recommend it, but little things like these could make it a more sophisticated experience, in keeping with the level of food.Special Features:
- Your romantic dinner stopOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014I had a lovely Valentines dinner with my girlfriend with friendly servers and great food. If you are looking for a cozy, romantic date, Corner House is definitely the place to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great atmosphere,VictoriaDined on 2/13/2014Great food, great atmosphere, great service…..we will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Service should be betterOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/13/2014Before I reserved this restaurant, I usually read the review from previous customers to get some ideas. So far, everything is impressive and the food is enjoyable. I had a great night with my friends. However, I am not that pleased with the service because one of the waiters is very impatient and raise the voice said "I will come back" while we tried to split up our bill. When we left, he didn't even say "Thank you" or say "Good night". This is really a turn off.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The service ruins the great foodct521Dined on 2/13/2014I dined here on Thursday February 13th for Winterlicious promotion and had heard good reviews on the food and was looking forward to my dining experience. The food did not disappoint as it was very delicious and very well plated. However if you're looking for decent service (not even going to stem for "good") you definitely won't get it if your party is less than 2 As the waiter I had made it quite obvious. We know he can be a good server l, he was just selective to which tables he thought would give him better tip.Special Features:
- We went for Winterlious andDiningintorontoDined on 2/13/2014We went for Winterlious and as always,the foodi was simply delicious. Unfortunately, they were very busy and we felt a bit rushed. So next time, we'll skipped the special and we'll enjoy a special night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We went on a Wednesday nightlesterDined on 2/12/2014We went on a Wednesday night during Winterlicious. Even though there was a line up to get in, the staff did not seem frazzled at all. Once we were seated, the line up was forgotten. The manger did not let anything bother her and if there was an issue at another, it was dealt with quickly and professionally. The staff were very attentive to our needs without being obtrusive. The food was well prepared and I'm sure we will return in the summer during a less busy timeSpecial Features:
- What a treat!HelinaDined on 2/12/2014I went to Corner House for the first time, and it was during Winterlicious. It was busy, but we still got fantastic service and very delicious food. I would definitely to back!Special Features:
- Delicious food; very pleasantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/12/2014Delicious food; very pleasant servers in the middle of a 3-stiings Winterlicious night. They are in good physical condition to run that food up & down the narrow stairs, dodging customers. Always yummy food!Special Features:
- Winterliscious gemporkbellyDined on 2/11/2014Went here for winterliscious. The ambience was cozy and romantic - would be great for couples and smaller parties. Food came out in a timely manner and was delicious! Would definitely go back on a less busy, non-winterliscious night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food terrible serviceRogerDined on 2/11/2014The food was good and the servers were very friendly. The owner or manager was incredibly rude to customers, we had never seen anything like it. She was unapologetic about her rudeness and seemed to dislike everyone in the restaurant.
- tastyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/11/2014lots of flavor in the dishes. the portions are great, when i was on my dessert, i was stuffed! the restaurant got very busy after 7pm, and i did not feel like we had to rushed through our meals. My friend and i were able to enjoy our dessert and tea. i would definitely recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Winterlicious - bad experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/11/2014We were given menus as soon as we were seated. We asked to order a cocktail and the waiter was appalled. He said that there were 3 sittings and it was his job to get patrons in and out quickly. He said there was no time for us to have a drink, that if we liked the food we could come back another time and stay as long as we wanted. We insisted we have a cocktail and asked him to delay our dinner as long as possible. They arrived quickly back to back. His attitude (your policy?) put a real damper on our evening. The food was divine, but we felt so rushed it ruined our evening. Perhaps you should run 2 sittings or not participate in Winterlicious at all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Shrimp appetizer- delicious SteakKitkatDined on 2/9/2014Shrimp appetizer- delicious Steak - well prepared, tasty wine sauce, green beans were perfect, liked the carmelized onions and mushrooms and mashed potatoes Chocolate torte, nice creamy texture I've been to this restaurant many times and have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful restaurant. GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/9/2014Wonderful restaurant. Great attention to detail. The food was excellent - well prepared and seasoned just right. I will go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service is lacking!kulvrDined on 2/8/2014I can't say a bad thing about the food, but the staff was rude! First our waiter told 2 tables around us that they were so busy with all the 'winterlicious' people who just come for a cheap meal and never come back. That made us feel uncomfortable. A table of regulars were next to us, and the hostess kept coming to talk to them, standing with her 'behind' inches from my face. She brought up her bus boys to say hi to them, and twice they almost knocked over my wine. For some reason my tea tasted funny, so I asked the waiter to take it away because I wasn't going to drink it. After a LONG while he finally came back over and said "So what do you want me to do?' Not how was your dinner, do you need anything? Shocked at how we were treated.Special Features:
- Food was okay but the serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/8/2014Food was okay but the service was horrible. The server never came to check on the table and didn't even clear empty plates. However, he talked to other guests at other tables. My table was the only table with no lid candles and breads. Server gave me an impression that he dislike Asians people. I would not recommend, worst experience for winterlicious.Special Features:
- Winterlicious wonderful!TorquemonkeyDined on 2/8/2014Used winterlicious as an excuse to get out and try a new restaurant. Had an amazing experience and will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cornerhousediner1Dined on 2/8/2014Food was great. Serving times must be expedited. We had to wait 20 minutes between each part of the meal The noise level is too high . The kitchen needs to be refurbished and looks like a mess and it is located right when you enter to the left. The washrooms are not heated .The excellent food makes up for these shortcomings. Please fix these issues CornerhouseSpecial Features:
- Fabulous food but ............!To29Dined on 2/8/2014Had dinner there for Winterlicious. The food that we both had was marvellous but the service from the waiter and hostess was unacceptable. Though the bus boy was pleasant and well mannered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noone puts this baby in a corner!!porcupinefaceDined on 2/8/2014My husband and I recently had an amazing dinner at The Corner House during Winterlicious. It was very busy but in a vibrant, fun way. The evening was well organized and run with expert precision. We started the meal with amazing appetizers, the fish tacos and the arugula salad. My husband had the beef and I had the ravioli- the best I have literally ever had. Dessert was perfect- we both felt that it was a near perfect meal and a great evening. The only thing I would say could have been remotely improved is that it was a bit chilly, and the waiter, although nice, was not particularly personable but it was so busy I can only imagine he was running all night! Higly recommended and the Winterlicious menu has been extended until February 27. .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/8/2014My husbandand I were at The Corner House this past weekend. This was my spouse's and my first visit here and we loved it. The ambience was suitable for couple's or for more than two people. Small quarters but that didn't interrupt us from enjoying ourselves. The sirloin was out of this world as well as the cornish hen. Service was efficient and on par with what you would expect for a top ten eatery on the Winter Delicious list. We will be back.Special Features:
- Top Pick for Winterlicious 2014KatMDined on 2/7/2014After reading countless reviews and Winterlicous menus, I chose Corner House as my top pick for our party of 3 and am glad I did! It's a place we'd never been and their Winterlicous menu offered many choices. From reading reviews ahead of time, I expected a wait for our table in the cramped front hall, so was not put-off by this. It was fascinating watching how well the staff functioned despite the tricky layout of this historical house. All of our 3 course meals were excellent and my crackling roasted cornish hen was perfection! We had the last seating so there was no rush. Will definitely return after Winterlicious when it's a bit quieter. Bonus: Corner House is extending their Winterlicious menu until the end of Feb!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good dinning experienceDine009Dined on 2/7/2014Both food and service are good. Especially love the Cornish game hen as main course, crispy on the outside, tender and juicy inside. Seating was really crowded but acceptable. It's winterlicious time maybe that's why. Overall good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Winterlicious MayhemDawningofmanDined on 2/7/2014The food was of great quality and flavourful, the right temperature, and arrived in due time. Our waiter was very helpful and personable, if a little weary. Who could blame him, it was winterlicious after all. I had the Tiger Shrimp, Rainbow Trout, and the Belgian Chocolate Torte. The shrimp and trout were well seasoned and succulent and the torte was out of this world, seriously! I only have two negative comments: 1. Space is very cramped normally, and was made more so by the winterlicious horde. 2. They had a seating rule, which we didn't know about prior. So we were a little annoyed to learn everyone in my party had to be present to be seated. Otherwise, I highly recommend the Corner House, especially for a romantic date!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Winterlicious LetdownRasputinDined on 2/6/2014A long wait in the drafty entrance, an unpleasant hostess and non-existant service took away from the well prepared food. Both Cornish hen and strip loin mains were tasty but our attention was on trying to find wait staff for simple things like a water refill or another glass of wine. When they appeared they were generally confused as to what food went to which table since (as one waiter admitted) they had added extra tables for Winterlicious and making the dining experience rather cramped
- Great place, great food!lemonsDined on 2/6/2014I attened using the Toronto WInterlicious 2014 menu. The food was fantastic, the service great. The only negative is the lack of parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Winterlicious DinnerRudieDined on 2/5/2014We go every year and every year we're delighted. Great food and service and a warm and comfortable ambiance. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- WinterliciousJaxmccaffDined on 2/5/2014Went for the first time to this restaurant during Winterlicious. The food was beautiful to look at and delicious. We had the beef tartare and shrimp to start followed by the Cornish hen and venison stew. All were wonderful although my date preferred my hen to his stew. Desserts were amazing as well. The service was great although he did imply that if the weather hadn't kept the crowds away, our experience may have been very different. We will return again.Special Features:
- The food was impeccable butAnnaDined on 2/4/2014The food was impeccable but the service is what really made the experience! I would highly recommend it to all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rush, rushlizagainDined on 2/4/2014The Corner House was compensating for the reduced profit margin by pushing the service. We had 3 courses plus appetizer and coffee and were on the street with our bill in under 60 minutes. The food was fine but not the experience. We would possibly return but not for Winterlicious: chain restaurants are less rushed and more relaxed. The staff appeared stressed.
- Delicious and great serviceyummyinmytummyDined on 2/2/2014I enjoyed the entire evening. Great treatment from start to finish. The meal was DELICIOUS, appetizer main and dessert!Special Features:
- Went during winterlicious.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/2/2014Went during winterlicious. Great service and delicious food. Both my bf and I were impressed with their main course (we had strip loin and fish). Overall great experience. Recommend to people who haven't been there!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.