2240 Clay St.
Denver, CO 80202Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.cornerhousedenver.com/
- Phone: 7202871895x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm, Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 9:00am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: The Corner House Team
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Premier provider of uncompromising excellence in culinary arts and detailed guest service in off-premise catering.
A word from Corner House
Corner House is a bistro-style restaurant with a heartfelt neighborhood feel. Our passion derives from delicious food, using quality local ingredients and creating an atmosphere that is community-focused, warm and intimate.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Corner House reviews from OpenTable diners
18 reviews since April 21, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelQuiet
neighborhood gem (12)fit for foodies (10)romantic (5)special occasion (5)great for brunch (4)great for outdoor dining (4)good for groups (3)late-night find (2)hot spot (2)vibrant bar scene (2)great for lunch (1)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- foodiepasta123VIPDined on 6/10/2014This small corner restaurant is on a quiet street across from a nice park. The mussels were some the best I have ever had and the coffee rubbed hanger steak was nicely prepared with a sweet potatoe and crispy kale hash. The service was good. I would definetly go back.Special Features:
- Corner HousereviewVIPDined on 5/30/2014We love to eat here because the food is always great and it is small so you never feel crowded. We love the cocktails as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second time was just as goodPeytonsHead85Dined on 5/28/2014This was my second time at this restaurant, but this time we dined outside. The patio area was very quiet, and off of the side street next to the place. I generally enjoy dining outside when available, but at a restaurant with the quality of food that they have, I wasn't sure it would be the best option. Turns out, either inside or out at Corner House is a great experience. The servers are very friendly and knowledgeable, the food is top notch, and reasonably priced, and the atmosphere is romantic and classy, in my opinion. This is definitely one of my favorite date night locations!Special Features:
- If you love musselsmusselmaniacDined on 5/23/2014Went there for the mussels. They were the freshest I've had since collecting them myself. Great recipe. The chocolate waffles were a delightful surprise. A unique a flavorful margarita. I got the recipe. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Promising, but teething problems.ScoglieraFulmineDined on 5/17/2014The ambiance is great, and the prices are reasonable. The owner is also connected to the Seattle Fish Co. so the fish is fresh and good quality. That said, we would have expected more fish on the menu - there was only one fish entree: salmon. You'd think with such a good supply that there would have been several fish options, but no. They are also clearly still getting their service act together, which always takes a little time, so that may improve. Overall, I'd say it's definitely worth a visit, but if they want to stand out they still need to do better.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food great, not crowdedcorduroyDined on 5/3/2014As the other reviews have stated, the food was excellent. We had oysters, salmon, a special scallop side, and the kale side. It was all very good. We were the only ones in there on a saturday night. Are people just not willing to drive a few blocks south of the hot part of town where you have to wait 45 minutes for a table? Very confusing. I'd go back when I want another quiet night.Special Features:
- 3 1/2 starsBarbDined on 5/1/2014The food almost "tried" too hard to be different if that makes sense. I prefer simpler fare and a full description of what is in the food would have been appreciated. The service was excellent. I am between 3 and 4 stars on this review because the food was prepared tastefully and the server was very attentive.Special Features:
- right up my allyfoodfunDined on 4/26/2014-Island Creek oysters..yes please. -Confit octopus ceviche with castelvetrano olives...need more of that in my life -Fun menu and great prices. My wife and I had 2apps, 1 salad, 2 entrees, and a bottle of wine. All for under $90.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My new favorite restaurant!DougDined on 4/23/2014I rarely rave about a restaurant, but I must make an exception for Corner House. This restaurant is amazing. We dined on raw oysters and crab cake (big enough for two) and they were fantastic. For our main course, my wife had the roasted chicken breast, which melted in her mouth. (She gave me a bite and it was the most tender chicken I have ever had.) I ordered the choice flat iron steak. It was prepared perfectly, and was the most tender flat iron steak I have ever had! Dessert was cheesecake and apple studel with ice cream - also amazing! The young man who served us was fantastic and friendly, making sure we had everything we needed and engaging in conversation as appropriate. Great ambiance. We can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- The following 70 reviews are from the Corner House reviews archive.
- Great food and service!KellBell410Dined on 4/15/2014My boyfriend and I found Corner House online and visited while on vacation in Colorado. The service was incredible! They made us feel right at home and were very helpful and personable. We also couldn't believe the quality of the food for such a reasonable price. My flat iron steak was delicious and we wish we could go back... too bad they don't have a location on the East Coast :)Special Features:
- Corner House DeliciousnessWessertDined on 4/12/2014Found this place on Open Table. Tiny and quaint inside. They do have outdoor seating. Very good service and crazy good food. Interesting menu items made me a bit wary, but everything we tried was amazing- appetizer to dessert. Will definitely go back soon. Only con is the limited parking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time but will be backSdvfDined on 4/12/2014The food was delicious and fresh, from salad to entree to dessert. Cocktails were refreshing. Gourmet without being overpriced. Excellent service and while the space is small, the decor is lovely. Definitely recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- badly cooked eggscosmoDined on 4/6/2014Our eggs benedict was poorly cooked. The eggs were almost raw. Crab rillette plate came to the table with no cheese. Ambitious menu could have been a good brunch find, but poor execution.Special Features:
- Amazing food. We have actuallygambinaDined on 3/29/2014Amazing food. We have actually followed the chef from restaurant to restaurant. He is extremely talented. Very cool setting. I highly recommend.Special Features:
- Had a great food experiencegmfurDined on 3/28/2014Had a great food experience and the server was very friendly. He provided great serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good concept/menu but mediocreTKapDined on 3/25/2014I was really excited to check this place out. I just happened to drive by and see it so we made a reservation since we live in the area. We were excited about the menu items and the Tues special of 1/2 price bottles of wine. Although the menu looked awesome, the execution was average. While we loved the oysters and octopus confit but the yellowtail sashimi was awful and the kale caesar wasn't notable. I really hope to hear good things about this place improving, it could be a real gem. I will return on a Tuesday again for wine and oysters but that's probably it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Corner house was great!JennDNPDined on 3/21/2014We really enjoyed our meal at Corner House. inventive dishes but not out there, and just plain really tasty, very fresh fish choices. We had great service and good drinks too! We will definitely be back. Honestly I was surprised it wasn't more crowded. Still a hidden gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- While there are some recentOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/15/2014While there are some recent reviews on here about spotty service, that was certainly not our experience. Our server, Gordon, was funny and passionate about the food, the courses were perfectly paced and my water was never empty - the elements of great service. All of the food was good, and some was just excellent, specifically the tiger shrimp ceviche and the stout mussels, both of which were good enough that I have since thought about going back to eat them again. The barbera is exceptional at its price point. A delightful meal overall.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Find in the HighlandsGprop3Dined on 3/8/2014We were searching for some quality fare while visiting family in Denver. The Highlands has plenty of options when it comes to good food, but few are able to balance quality with reasonable prices. The Corner House delivered well-constructed seasonal options at a great price. We spent just over $100 for what would be a three-course meal with drinks for four. Good food at an awesome price, with excellent service, we will be back and I hope people reading this will do the same.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My Holistic Chef Date Loved ItMichaelDined on 2/22/2014I had a first date with a holistic-chef in training and was under some pressure to find something local, with a unique menu, excellent presentation, and of course delicious. I gambled with Corner House and she loved every part of it. We did a full-course of app, meal, dessert, and wine. I enjoyed all of it as well - even the stuff I couldn't pronounce! Prices were less than expected so that was a pleasant surprise.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NiceNeutDined on 2/15/2014Our wait staff was friendly, low key, yet attentive. Food was delicious. Just what we needed after a rough day-ahhhh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A lovely first experienceBookwormFoodieDined on 2/8/2014I went to Corner House for the first time with a date this weekend. The ambiance and low light were perfect. There were GF and dairy-free options, the drinks were impeccable (Allie the bartender is a rockstar!), and the service was neither too disruptive nor too inattentive. The food was fantastic and fresh. The portions are small-ish for the price, but the quality of the food made for a perfect meal. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friendly staffmtnmanDined on 2/2/2014The Corner House staff was so friendly and helpful for our daughters 11th birthday and treated her like a queen while we were there despite that we picked a night that the Broncos were playing in the Super Bowl! The bartender ( forgive me I can't remember her name) whipped up a kiddie cocktail concoction special for her!! We'll be back for sure!Special Features:
- Drinks, Starters ... Check PleaseHeisenbergDined on 1/25/20148:30pm Saturday reservation As we stood awkwardly by the door, a server pointed us to a two-top by the doorway. A neighboring party of 6 roared. We suggested that we'd be more comfortable at a quiet window spot overlooking the restaurant's namesake corner, he said "you probably won't get as good of service over there." We took the seats by the window. The bartender eventually took orders for drinks and starters. The Tom & Jerry my wife ordered came out with cereal in it. It was strange. We flagged down the bartender again to order mains. Turns out the kitchen was almost out of food. That would have been good to know when we walked in the door. We asked for the check and left.
- DisappointingDined on 1/25/2014Nice space and atmosphere. Our waiter was pleasant but didn't have a clue - not sure he had any training as waiter - and there were literally only 2 or 3 other tables of diners there. By the end of the night the bartender took over our service and did a great job - she salvaged what was left of a bad night. Especially disappointing and embarassing since this was a dinner for my wife's birthday - which I noted on my Open Table reservation - and we were with 2 other couples. A small menu to begin with but interesting choices - however we had an 8:00 reservation and the waiter announced they were already out of 2 of the 6 total entres. Not good, they will need dramatic improvement soon if they want to stay in business.
- Wonderful RestaurantDMTjeffparkDined on 1/10/2014My girlfriend and I live in Jefferson Park neighborhood and have been meaning to try this restaurant for a long time. So we decided to celebrate a special occasion there. We were not disappointed. From an ambiance stand point the restaurant's interior is beautifully designed. Everything from the lighting to the panel of aspen trees makes the place very intimate and visually appearing. What's more the wait staff are incredibly welcoming, attentive, and professional from greeting to check. No onto the real important matters the food. Our meals were absolutely amazing! From the simple yet rich tomato bisque soup to the perfectly prepared short ribs on a bed of horseradish potatoes with an incredible beet purée, we couldn't get enough.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!!rach8789Dined on 12/31/2013The food was incredible and extremely well balanced. The service was spotty at first, but once it got a bit less busy it was completely perfect. I would definitely eat here again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was good- mussels andDPDenverDined on 12/31/2013Food was good- mussels and salads were great. Entrees were good- not really memorable. Service was SLOW. Unfortunately it really brought the overall experience down.
- Great date choicePeytonsHead85Dined on 12/28/2013This restaurant was amazing. The ambiance was great, dimly lit with great, low volume music. The cocktails were top notch, and the food was phenomenal! Definitely a great place for a date, or just a great place to check out in general.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal on a wintery nightOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/21/2013Corner House has an interesting menu and skillful preparation. The ambience of the room and lots of windows was the perfect place to be on a snowy holiday night. We will definitely go back there again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Corner HouseSidney80203Dined on 11/21/2013I hadn't been here before, but am familiar with the chef's cuisine. I thought I had entered the bar entrance and then quickly discovered that was the entire restaurant. The server was nice, but I felt stupid when I asked if I was in the right place. The apple cobbler was amazing! And the duck!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UNBELIEVABLY bad service.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/17/2013After seating, it took 30 minutes to get water and to order. We ordered two bowls of soup and the chicken wings (something quick since we were running late due to the amount of time we had already been there). We waited on the patio for ANOTHER 30 minutes before trying to find better service inside. We explained to server #2 that we already ordered, and she asked us what we ordered. She told us that they had been sold out of the chicken wings for over an hour (which they never mentioned in the 30 minutes after we ordered), so we decided to leave. It's not hard to scoop a couple of ladles of soup into a bowl. Instead of enjoying what looked like a good menu, we wasted an hour freezing ourselves only to leave starving. This place is a joke.
- Excellent findmtnmanDined on 11/16/2013Corner House came recommended and was just what we were looking for!! The food was unbelievably fresh and was NOT saturated in a bunch of cover-up! The flavor of the seared foie gras was incredible!!! ending with an awesome apple cobler! Thanks!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun menuTeriVIPDined on 11/16/2013and wonderful presentation of unusual combinations. So understated. Fantastic food.Special Features:
- We've dined at Corner HouseOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 11/12/2013We've dined at Corner House several times now. The space is very cool and the service is excellent, however we've been disappointed with the food more than once. One time we were served pork in a dish when we specifically requested that we receive no pork in any dishes (dietary restriction) and two other times, we have both had entrees that were underseasoned. They were cooked well (browned or crispy or creamy or whatever in the right places), but just didn't have much flavor. It hasn't been the case with every thing that we've ordered, but it's also disappointing enough that it's happened a few times and we likely won't go back.
- Brunch with friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/10/2013We visited Corner House for the first time this past Sunday for brunch. As it is not in our neighborhood, we were unaware of how long the restaurant had been open. The bar drinks were amazing, unique and fresh. The menu pleased all 5 of us including the teenagers. It was quite as we were there early. All decided we would go back again.Special Features:
- a neighborhood gemTamara61Dined on 11/3/2013Corner House. A lucky find indeed! , our waitress brought over a couple of tasty bloody marys, full of dilly beans homemade by Gina, the owner herself! Yummy... we started with a bowl of the green chili, WOW, to die for! then we added a grilled avacado salad, it had fresh oranges lightly dressed,yummy.Next, my husband had the eggs benedict with procuitto, delicious, eggs perfectly poached, holidaise, wonderful. I ordered the short rib chiliquiles,it was served in a bowl with what tasted like homemade chips, poached eggs,avacado, manchego and topped with a lime cream!!! YUM.... The service was great, the energy in the restuarant was casual and fun.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The lighting was too dim toloveopentableDined on 10/22/2013The lighting was too dim to read the menu easily. Soft mood lighting at dinner is great, but how about make the menu printing larger? The chocolate bread pudding was sublime. One of the entrees on the menu (ravioli) was not available, and it sounded delicious. Opted for the sea bass, which I normally like. Here it had a fishy taste and an uninspired sauce. The server and manager were very nice. I was surprised that the wine was not presented first but just poured from the bottle...but perhaps that's not done at all restaurants (?).
- Maybe good for trendy & drinksCentralDenverResidentDined on 10/18/2013Menu is unpredictable. The Cornerhouse website menu is very dated, with almost none of the items available as of mid-October. A number of items on the printed menu at the restaurant are no longer available. So, if you like to know what is possible for food selection prior to arrival, then this is NOT the place. Vegetarian options are almost non-existent. Seating is cramped. Noise level can be troublesome to hold a conversation. Food quality and pricing is reasonable, but not beyond good. Service is also generally reasonable. Likely a good place to socialize with friends for drinks and meat-seafood appetizers. Not recommended for parties greater than 4 or for couples bringing children. Mostly style over substance.
- Awesome Place to ChillEvilAdamTMDined on 10/18/2013This is a great place to just sit and relax. Awesome staff enjoyed the entire nite. Gina and Matt are amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.