39 North Jay Street
Schenectady, NY 12305Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://cornellsrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 5183703825x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm,
Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm,
Sunday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Mediterranean, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Armondo Cioccke
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View
- Private Party Contact: Barbara Patalino 5183703825x
A word from Cornell's Restaurant
Founded 70 years ago, we are known for taking authentic Italian cuisine to new heights. Chef Armondo uses only the freshest of ingredients as he carries on tried and true family recipes augmented by his innovative daily specials. We also offer an extensive wine list featuring unique wines at exceptional values as well as homemade desserts. Cornell’s dining experience is ideal for before or after shows at Proctor’s. Our three dining rooms and banquet room can accommodate parties of up to 150 guests, making Cornell’s the perfect venue for your next office party, family gathering, or special event. We are here to have our professional staff serve you great food and wine while enjoying a comfortable relaxing setting or, enjoy same menu at the bar. Patio dining available in season.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Cornell's Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Schenectady ›
Cornell's Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
110 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (80)special occasion (72)good for groups (52)romantic (48)fit for foodies (45)notable wine list (18)vibrant bar scene (13)great for outdoor dining (13)hot spot (12)late-night find (12)kid-friendly (9)great for lunch (7)great for brunch (6)scenic view (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/29/2014I ordered linguini with clam sauce; clams were like rubber bands and pasta was mushy; my companion, however, had chicken parmesan with ziti which she said was perfect. Most restaurants cannot give you al dente pasta and have trouble with clams. Great service, nice wine.
- Best Italian Food in Schenectady!D1672Dined on 8/22/2014Cornell's is an outstanding Italian restaurant and remains consistent in terms of food and service. There were four in our party and we were seated at a lovely table in the front of the restaurant as we had requested. Drink orders and food orders were taken and delivered in a timely manner and perfectly paced. Our waitress was warm, friendly and took special requests with ease. We shared a seafood antipasto which was delectable. The waitress even brought the table an extra clam when we discovered one had not opened! Every entrée from the halibut to pasta dishes obviously used fresh ingredients and were wonderful. Cornell's is a special place and will not disappoint the most discerning diner.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/22/2014Very tasty food, wide ranging menu with lots of options. Would have liked to see a couple more fish dishes.Special Features:
- Excellent Meal and ServiceMauiVIPDined on 8/20/2014Cornell's was featuring a Travers dinner special for $18.64 so we thought we would try it. Amazing food and we had a really great waitress. Other restaurants should learn from what Cornell's did with their special - multi course with great selection. Giving such a nice meal and deal gets customers back!Special Features:
- BettyBoop42Dined on 8/15/2014We went on a Friday night, and it was quite noisy until the bar cleared out a little. Other than that, it was very pleasant!Special Features:
- Nice Italian family restaurantChasDined on 8/8/2014Went for dinner before a show at Proctors. Arrived and were seated immediately but waitress did not return to take drink order for over 15 minutes. Ambiance is somewhat sterile, definitely not romantic or cozy. Food was good and reasonably priced. Wine list limited. Overall not bad for a quick dinner in Schenectady but not for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic Italian food!barbVIPDined on 8/7/2014We brought relatives and friends for dinner after the races in Saratoga and wanted a quiet place where we could enjoy good food and talk. It was perfect! Turns out one guest (a retired assemblyman) and his wife are self proclaimed "sauce snobs" and they couldn't stop raving about the food. From the Alfredo to the fish and steak the food was to die for. Service was friendly and the owner took time at our table to chat. Will be back again and again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious. Delicious. Delicious.LCsreviewDined on 8/3/2014Delicious. Delicious. Delicious. Go there and eat Do it now.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dinner, great servicefoodloversDined on 8/2/2014First of all the food was delicious. The menu was really nice. There were so many good things to choose from. The service was better than excellent. And not many restaurants can say that. We had a very nice evening. Thank You Cornell's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, staff, relaxed ambienceHelenOfSchdyDined on 8/2/2014Have not had a bad experience at Cornell's. Food is delicious. Servers are friendly, relaxed, helpful. Owner comes around and talks. Not too noisy; can actually have conversations without yelling.Special Features:
- chriswDined on 8/1/2014excellent all the way around. food, service, price - great meal at a fair price. service was great.hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhI would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food!CornellsDined on 7/31/2014We love going Cornell's. The food is always great, the service is excellent and Joanne makes the best home made Cavatelli!Special Features:
- AnnieDined on 7/31/2014Just a wonderful dining experience - you won't be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeZhivagoDined on 7/15/2014Really well rounded menu in that it goes way beyond the basics of an Italian restaurant. The classics are all there and very good, but I appreciate that the chef is innovative, especially with the specials of the day. Graceful ambience without being stuffy, and good service.Special Features:
- Wonderful AnniversarylouieDined on 7/12/2014Cornell's was wonderful! It is where we celebrated our 10th anniversary. The food was great, the service was great. The waiter recommended a nice wine. They gave us dessert when they found out it was our anniversary. It was a great dinner. We'll be going back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night with old friendsOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/10/2014... food was delicioso, wine remarkable, service by Liz impeccable, wonderful experience, thank you!Special Features:
- Italian must in SchenectadyNorthernNeighbourDined on 7/9/2014This is the best restaurant in the same area of Little Italy in Schenectady, NY. The service is fantastic from the moment you step into the door. The waitresses are also happy to recommend certain dishes and answer any questions. I have been to this restaurant several times while visiting the Capital Region of NY and never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome food alwaysSusieDined on 7/8/2014The food is excellent! Really love the 4 for $20.00 special menu,always delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently GoodRinaldoDined on 7/5/2014Warm greetings from Joann... table ambiance...experienced professional waiter, quality fresh well -prepared food, established wine list... definitely a cut above.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd timecelebrationDined on 6/29/2014This was our second time at Cornell's. The food was great. It gives a fancy stuffy feel but the staff is warm and friendly. This was our second time and we would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Wonderful!MichaelDined on 6/28/2014We had a wonderful evening at Cornell's. The drinks, food and service was fantastic. There were several large parties that were happy to be there as well, which made for a really good feeling in the dining room!Special Features:
- superb placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/28/2014Food is exceptional ......service is always right on .....staff is accommodating and Joanne is always there to great you and never misses hitting the table to make sure that things are wonderful ...This place is one of a kind ....Prices are very reasonable for what you get, but there is so much more.Special Features:
- Well pleased.GeneDined on 6/26/2014Food was great, noise level was quiet for a weeknight, and the service was exceptionally good. We each had a different dinner and all were very good. Their seafood dinners were expanded somewhat serving Ahi Tuna and Chilean Sea Bass. I had the Sea Bass and the quantity more than I expected and it was prepared with excellent accompaniments.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/21/2014... had dinner on the patio, nothing like it, the linen and candle, soft music, excellent specials .... perfect night!Special Features:
- Still one of the best around!DiningDiva71Dined on 6/21/2014As always, our reservation went smoothly; our special request for seating in the lounge was taken care of (our table was right by the front window on a beautiful summer evening) and the food was excellent. The place was packed and energetic and our experience was very enjoyable. Would recommend for good food and nice atmosphere. Also, a great place for a drinks after work. Never disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- enjoyabledatenightDined on 6/21/2014Saturday night reservation. Great food. Pleasant atmosphere. Did not feel rushed. Only shortcoming was that several listed wines from wine list were unavailable. We will go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EllieleahVIPDined on 6/21/2014Restaurant was not busy when we arrived (6:15), service was very slow. It took almost an hour to get our salads. Table of 9 ordered 3 apps, by only 3 people, would have been perfect time to also bring out salads, especially since we had young children with us. Have been coming for years and will continue to come here
- A lovely dinner we hadBeBackDined on 6/21/2014We stopped by with friends who had never been to Cornell's. They had heard good things about the place (from others). We enjoyed our meal, as usual, and they did too. I got a kick out of reading an earlier review that said Cornell's was pricey. Cornell's is in Schenectady, which tends to limit pricing. I have paid more for lessor meals in places like Saratoga, Colonie, and Albany. If Cornell's was in one of those places, one could expect to pay more. The place is an excellent value. I would recommend it to anyone seeking an old-school high quality Italian (family recipe) menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Familyof5Dined on 6/15/2014I have been twice to the restaurant enjoyed every bit! altho the prime rib was a little "off" didt taste how they normally do. Will return to try new dishes! 4 star pasta fagioli!! Hoped to try cannoli but you ran out of Creme by 6pm :(Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/12/2014This was not our first visit to this restaurant. As always in the past, it was a very enjoyable experience. Food was great, service, etc.Special Features:
- Very nice nightSocialMomDined on 6/10/2014This is one of our favorite places to go for dinner. The food is consistently good. Our waitress, Brittany, was wonderful! We had dinner with good friends. What more could one ask forSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Meal, slow serviceItalianFoodLoverDined on 6/8/2014The food at Cornell's is always terrific, and this meal was no exception. The waitresses are very nice and attentive, but what is not terrific is the very long wait for the food to come out. I don't mind a leisurely meal, but we were at the restaurant for about 2 1/2 hours, not including dessert, which would have added another 30 minutes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dinner!FoodloverDined on 6/7/2014My wife and I had the Filet Mignon with shiitake mushrooms with a roasted garlic demi glaze top with broiled assparagus that was out of this world! The Filet Mignon was cooked perfectly and we really enjoyed our dinner. The staff was excellent and very attentative. Great experience and great night out. I would highly recommend Cornell's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian Tuscan feelKerryDined on 6/7/2014As a first timer, I was really impressed by the food, people and environment of Cornell's. It is a beautiful, updated Italian-Tuscan feel restaurant. I loved the Veal saltimboca. It was a generous portion and the greens were so yummy!the soup was delish and I absolutely loved the balsamic dressing on the salad that came with the entree. Definitely, go and try this place! You will enjoy the little Italy feel of the neighborhood! Parking was a slight problem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another Excellent Night!forza1italiaDined on 6/6/2014Once again we had a fabulous dinner at Cornell's! It's fast becoming one of my favorite Italian restaurants to go to. We live about 40 miles away and don't mind the drive at all when going to Cornell's. We were caught in traffic and had a 5:15 p.m. reservation and I called to tell them we would be late. I spoke with Joanne (the owner) and she said, "don't worry we will hold your table for you", with out hesitation. They were so accommodating knowing we were attending the show at Proctors at 8:00 p.m. I would recommend this fine Italian restaurant to anyone! Do yourself a favor and partake...you won't regret it. P.S. Mamma Joanne's cavitellis are a must; for a meal or side dish!Special Features:
- ChuckDined on 6/5/2014This was our first time at your restaurant. We enjoyed the food and the waiter was excellent. We plan to be back. Carolyn & Chuck MelszerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A really "Happy Birthday"RonyDeeDined on 6/3/2014I had a party for my wife's 75th birthday, with 18 other guests. We ordered "off the menu", so everyone could order what they wanted. I ordered a Birthday Cake through the restaurant as well. The food, although absolutely outstanding, was a little slow coming out. The ZUPPA was out of this world!!! The cake was delicious. The coffee was also slow coming out. Some of the appetizers were pricey (eg) 3 shrimp in butter sauce $12 (I found out the hard way) Overall it was GREAT FOOD and a good time. We will definitely eat here againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DinnerWeeatout42Dined on 5/31/2014We totally enjoyed our dining experience from beginning to end. Great food, great wine, great staff, great ambiance! Loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Italian Food in SchenectadyPeterDined on 5/30/2014Great food (you've got to try the calamari). My gauge for measuring Italian Restaurants is Veal Parm and this is one of the best in the capital region. Save room for desert. An extra benefit is the parking...off street, well lit and plenty of it.Special Features:
- Fair food, warm wineMCConDined on 5/30/2014Service was pretty good (we had an 8pm show, and traffic delayed our 6pm reservation to 6:30pm, food came out quick). But our first choice bottle of wine was out...fine, it was a busy night... to replaced by our second choice, a white that was served to us at an incredibly warm temperature. I was happy that they knocked $10 off the price of the wine, but the follow up was awkward. Resolved when I suggested they put our opened bottle in the kitchen freezer. Food was standard, a nice menu.