Cornelia Street Cafe
29 Cornelia Street
New York, NY 10014Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Cornelia Street Cafe
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.corneliastreetcafe.com/
- Phone: 2129899319
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Daniel Latham
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: We have several rooms for private parties, accommodating from 20 to 75 people: 1. Country dining room with fireplace accommodates up to 40 people for dinner. 2. Side room looking out onto Cornelia Street for 20-25 people. 3. Downstairs cabaret with stage, sound system and separate bar accommodates 50 people for dinner or 75 for cocktails and hors d'ouvres. We will happily work with you on individually tailored menus, bar and wine choices.
- Private Party Contact: Ezekiel Miller 2129899319
- Entertainment: Downstairs in the cabaret there are some 700 performances a year in every conceivable genre (and quite a few inconceivable ones). Suzanne Vega sang her first songs here, Eve Ensler developed her Vagina Monologues, Senator Eugene McCarthy read his poetry, Dr. Oliver Sacks continues to read his prose; Nobel laureate Roald Hoffmann curates a regular science series, and members of Monty Python and the Royal Shakespeare Company occasionally pop in. And there is an astonishing variety of music not limited to jazz (although Downbeat Magazine did name us ONE OF THE 100 GREAT JAZZ CLUBS OF THE WORLD). To make reservations for any of the cabaret shows please contact the cafe.
- Cross Street: Between W4th & Bleecker
- Public Transit: A, B, C, D, E, F, V trains to West 4th Street. #1 to Christopher Street-Sheridan Square
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: There is metered parking (till 10pm) on Cornelia Street, a parking lot on the corner of Morton Street and 7th Avenue, and street parking in the neighborhood with differing restrictions
A word from Cornelia Street Cafe
In 1987, on its tenth anniversary, New York City proclaimed Cornelia Street Cafe "A CULINARY AS WELL AS A CULTURAL LANDMARK." Founded by three artists, it provides food for the soul as well as the body. Upstairs there are three dining rooms, a beautiful hundred-year-old oak bar, a sidewalk cafe on one of New York's most picturesque streets, and a wood-burning fireplace for the winter. The cafe has received numerous awards for its food: Time Out's TOP 100 RESTAURANTS; the Village Voice's BEST OF NEW YORK FOOD; and a special award from the Village Arts Society for INSPIRED CUISINE. Most recently it received the Waterford Crystal Award of Distinction for BEST BY-THE-GLASS WINE PROGRAM--there are more than thirty wines available by the glass. Downstairs (honored with Zagat Nightlife's Award of Distinction) there are more than 700 performances a year. RESERVATIONS ARE FOR DINING UPSTAIRS. RESERVATIONS FOR THE DOWNSTAIRS CABARET CANNOT BE MADE ONLINE.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Cornelia Street Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
52 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (37)great for outdoor dining (21)fit for foodies (14)romantic (13)great for brunch (11)great for lunch (9)late-night find (8)special occasion (7)notable wine list (7)vibrant bar scene (6)good for groups (6)hot spot (5)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- great village restaurantglobalreporterDined on 8/23/2014I'm uptown,my friends are downtown. This was the perfect place to meet! Food was great and the noise level was ok for us to actually have a conversation throughout dinner!Special Features:
- HappycafeOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/22/2014Found this great restaurant in my Where magazine for NYC. It was a great find and great prices too. A nice touch are the wine flights to try to sample wines you may never have heard of. Our server was attentive and they did a great job.Special Features:
- Worth a return meal!FoodieDined on 8/19/2014Cornelia Cafe was lovely. The staff was welcoming, the service attentive. Modest, charming surroundings. The food was good. Small menu; small portions - all good! Definitely going back to sample other menu offerings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/4/2014Classic West Village vibe! I brought my family visiting from out of town here and it was a hit. Great NY and West Village Vibe. Will definitely be returning to Cornelia Street Cafe in the future.Special Features:
- Whole evening: great food+musicnoshnotesDined on 8/4/2014Many places in the Village have wonderful food, and many places have interesting events. I have not known any other place so consistently to maintain such high standards in both. At Cornelia St, the attitude of the owners seems to be, "What would I like myself and my friends to have to-night," and then they share that with everyone. If you have time, do go see something in the downstairs theatre, but I would recommend eating upstairs as the menu (and wine list!) is more expansive. Also, both food and shows are good enough that one doesn't want divided attention.Special Features:
- KenOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/1/2014I recently dined again at Cornelia Street Cafe. Group of six to celebrate my birthday. Food was excellent (all plates went back to the kitchen empty). Three of us had the Hudson Valley duck - comparable to any duck breast I had in Paris. Appetizers were good - we shared the salmon plate, the calamari and two orders of the country pate. Gone all gone! Desserts were enjoyed. Our waiter, Matt was kind enough to put a candle in my creme brule (terrific).. Service - from the young lady who confirmed my reservation to the bartender to out table servers were polite, competent and a pleasant presence. A thoroughly enjoyable experience.Special Features:
- Pleasant lunchNybritDined on 7/29/2014Reasonable price and pleasant if somewhat distant-at-first service (waiter yawned while handing me the menu - but this is not the norm)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Scrumptious food/right time to comeNot2pickyDined on 7/18/2014This time around everything was great. We have eaten here at other times when it was crowded and service was not as good. So come early!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful Sidewalk CafeZoCrazyDined on 7/11/2014Very accomodating and friendly staff, good food. Risotto with mushrooms and chicken was tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic neighborhood restaurantStargazeeDined on 7/8/2014Great neighborhood American food restaurant. Food was oustanding - fresh, organic, tasty, artfully prepared. Fantastic service. Nice, comfortable ambiance on small street tucked away from noisy city. Very affordable. Wonderful way to relax, unwind after busy day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An Oldie But GoodierobwVIPDined on 7/2/2014On a very hot day I used my Open Table app to find this great cafe. Years ago I had eaten here but its been awhile & I was pleasantly surprised to find it still in business. One of the owners greeted us with good humor and even came over to check on our lunch. They have brunch menu even during the week which is great. The eggs florentine were yummy and my husband's Hueveros Rancho eggs were the best he has ever had. Can't wait to go back and listen to music one of these nights. Try it you'll be pleased.Special Features:
- Good Food, AtmosphereQuiknGoodDined on 6/26/2014The food and service at Cornelia Street Cafe were very good. We were on a time constraint to catch a show and the waitstaff did a great job in getting our food out on a timely basis, while still preparing it perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small gemBeanieVIPDined on 6/18/2014Little bistro type hidden away with a lovely menu, good service, delicious food and reasonable pricing. The wines were a bit high in cost but worth it. My companion had the bruschetta which was exceptionally fresh. I ate the mushroom risotto which was outstanding. Really loved this place!Special Features:
- Reliable West Village CafeOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/14/2014Appealing menu at accessible pricing, especially for this now very tony West Village location. Service was the best possible, without any "attitude" but with major sensitivity to diners' requests and preferences. Owners have been operating this venue in the same fashion since its 1978 founding. Their willingness to host relatively unknown musical, literary, and other creative and community events in their lower level is admirable and impressive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely dinneryummmmDined on 5/16/2014I had a wonderful dinner here with a friend on Friday, in the fireplace room. Our meals were scrumptious, and the staff are very pleasant and accommodating. Our waiter recommended chocolate bread pudding for dessert....delicious! Cornelia St. Cafe has a warm, comfortable vibe and is beautifully decorated. The food is flawless, and they have a nice wine selection. It's an especially nice refuge on a rainy day, but great any time.Special Features:
- ToreadorableVIPDined on 5/4/2014Every time we eat here, we tell ourselves we should come more often. We live in Hell's Kitchen so we typically don't come down here unless we're seeing a show in the area. But, the place is SO comfortable, the staff so friendly and efficient, the menu so carefully prepared that we may start coming down for no other reason than having another lovely dinner.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful eveningsoccermomof2Dined on 5/3/2014My husband and I stumbled into this place on our first NY date and we've gone back ever since, including this past Saturday after having gotten married the night before. A very nice personalized gift certificate was waiting for us. The maitre d made sure we had a nice table and the service and food was very good. We enjoy this place immensely.Special Features:
- Cornelia: Always terrificKagooDined on 5/2/2014We don't live in the neighborhood, or even in NYC, but we make it a point to eat at Cornelia several times a year. The food is excellent, the servers are unfailingly professional and amiable, and the ambiance is terrific. One of our favorite little spots.Special Features:
- The following 436 reviews are from the Cornelia Street Cafe reviews archive.
- Don't forget the shows downstairsshRtsVIPDined on 4/27/2014The restaurant is very good and worth visiting, but most of the time when I am here it is because I want a meal before I go downstairs for one of their superb and reasonably priced shows. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Great Spot near Barrow St. TheatrefrequentdnrVIPDined on 4/26/2014Service was outstanding, we all had a hard time deciding what to get as there were so many terrific options, the wine list is extensive with many interesting choices by the glass -- would be great for dates, families, groups, whomever looking for great food, great serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cozy Surrounds, Great FoodElaineVIPDined on 4/9/2014My film group meets once a month to see a movie and go to dinner. The other night we went to IFC and then around the corner to Cornelia Street Cafe, which was entirely perfect. Cozy but lively, we could hear each other, our waiter was fun but unobtrusive, and the food, the food, the food ... was just terrific. The duck Magret was perfect, someone had a burger, someone had the sesame crusted salmon - everyone was happy. VERY happy. Love this place.
- cute and cozyHillaryVIPDined on 3/21/2014Went to Cornelia Street Cafe after a friend recommended it. Was flavorful food with friendly and accommodating employees. The burger and BLT was delicious. We dined on a Friday around noon and had no problem getting a table. I was however warned how busy it gets on the weekend.Special Features:
- Delicious foodLMilesDined on 3/19/2014We arrived early to our reservation and we were invited to sit at our table which was wonderful. It had been a while since I had been to Cornelia Cafe and the food was better than I remembered. The welcoming staff and bartender were fantastic and super helpful and friendly. Our waitress was not particularly friendly or helpful, unfortunately. And this was from the moment of our first question of the night. But the rest of the servers were so lovely. And since the waitress was relatively inattentive, it didn't bother us for very long. This is a great place to dine with a date or a group of friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- went for late dinner servicedebeatDined on 3/15/2014went for late dinner service from the waitress was so so bad. guess she doesnt like waiting on people very sour!! never cracked a smile not once! my sons girlfriend ordered the gnocchi with chicken and had to ask for the chicken. The busboy was the only helpful one and took back the dish to put chicken on there. we still gave a 20% tip even though the waitress did not deserve it, would not go back!!!
- Great spot, service however poorHolaDined on 3/15/2014I have been many times to Cornelia cafe over the last past 7 years. It used to be one of my favorites especially when the rhubarb cobbler was on the menu:-) I went back there the other night, admittidly after one year. The food was good, however more saucy than I remembered and the service was simply absent. Our waiter forgot about us for over half an hour as we were waiting on the dessert menu. Nobody seemed to be looking, tables were being changed next to us and yet we were simply ignored. Not too sure what to think...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice and easyroseyDined on 3/15/2014hadn't been here for a while. still good food, pleasant atmosphere and good service. just be sure to make a reservation; it was a Saturday night and got very crowded.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cornelia Street CafeFoodieVIPDined on 3/8/2014The food is great but portion size is small..good vegetarian options! Service is standard and ambience is warm and cozySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A go-to placemellybmelDined on 2/28/2014This is probably my fifth or sixth time at Cornelia Street Cafe. I try to go when I'm in the Village. A bit of a tight fit, but I find it cozy, especially when I'm in the fireplace room. Consistently high quality. Last night's cod special, served with faro and squash, was a stand-out. Fresh, well-prepared, flavorful food, excellent wine and cocktails, delicious desserts, good service--what more could you want?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tucked away in the hustle & bustleOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/28/2014Always reliable, and always delicious. Cornelia Street Cafe is a gem in the neighborhood. The area is full of over-priced, mediocre restaurants, so CSC with its solid menu and reasonable prices, is a great find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Cafe was bustling butDrLeeVIPDined on 2/22/2014The Cafe was bustling but we were seated right away. Service was attentive but not rushed. Food was very good, smallish but satisfying portions. Not too noisy. All in all, a very (maybe "very+") good experience...Special Features:
- Still a go-to place in the VillageWayneDined on 2/20/2014I've been coming here for 20 years and it's as reliable as ever. Great place to have a long dinner with a good friend -- not too noisy to have a conversation. Never had a bad meal. And the desserts are great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It has become a traditionKahunaDined on 2/14/2014This has been a favorite place for special occasions for many years. Great food, great service and a Village gem. Please do not let it be overrun with uptown posers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A warm welcome on a cold nightDougRVIPDined on 1/22/2014I liked everything about the Cornelia Street Café. The staff was very welcoming & accommodating. The menu was interesting & the food very well prepared & delicious. Service was prompt & friendly. I'm pleased to recommend them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cornelia Street CafeBDwoDined on 1/17/2014I went with no expectations, and was thoroughly impressed. My friend and I went for dinner before the 9 PM show with Nickolaj Hess Quartet (which also was phenomenal). The transition from dinner to show was seamless. The service, the ambiance, THE CUISINE, EVERYTHING was A-plus-plus.Special Features:
- Lovely cafe on a charming streetDowntownerVIPDined on 1/12/2014Lovely cafe with solid food selection, Music downstairs. Very good drinks selection and very good service. Mixed, upbeat crowd - not too young, not too old. Altogether charming!Special Features:
- Saturday night in the West VillageBrianDined on 1/11/2014We were looking for a place with a downtown/Village vibe. Cornelia Street Cafe was a perfect choice. We were early for our reservation and were able to be seated at a window table for two. Tables were separated with a reasonable amount of space, that was adequate so that you didn't feel cramped like some Manhattan venues Bar area a little tight.. Lively room without being too loud to have a conversation. The spinach pear salad was excellent and the chocolate hazelnut bread pudding was outstanding. Service was on top of things without being intrusive. Thoroughly enjoyable experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ambiencefladigDined on 12/31/2013We went to the restaurants twice, in two differente years.The restaurant is very very nice, the food is very good and the ambience is special. Just one small disappointment during our last visit: the service was not very careful: they forgot to ask whether we wanted to order wine and they did not seem very interested in providing a friendly service (maybe because we are foreigners and will not come to the restaurant again?). Good list of wines, unfortunately there was a French Bourgogne on the list (one of the best wines of the list) that was not available and it was a pity because we wanted to celebrate a special occasion. If not avaliable the wine should be cancelled from the list.For the rest an excellent place for a nice dinner.Special Features:
- Tasty, Easy, Reasonable for NYESprvllnDined on 12/31/2013We had last minute reservations for the New Year's Eve Prixe Fix menu and everything we ordered was delicious! I had a picky Eater and a Vegetarian and both loved what they ordered. The restaurant was busy but our waitress was accommodating and always attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best findJennyDined on 12/30/2013Our group agreed that this restaurant was the best one we'd ever been to. The food and drinks were spectacular, especially considering how affordable they were for Manhattan!Special Features:
- fabulous find with great staffmobilejoDined on 12/27/2013fabulous find with great staff and tasty food. if I lived in Manhatten , would definitely be a regular customerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.