Core de Roma
214 South St
Philadelphia, PA 19147Neighborhood:
South Street / Queen Village
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Core de Roma
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.corederoma.us/
- Phone: 2155929777
- Hours of Operation:
Open only for private parties
Tuesday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:30pm
Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:30pm
Sunday: 3:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Papa Gigi
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Party trays by request.
- Private Party Facilities: Only for private party.
- Private Party Contact: Luigi Pinti 2155929777
A word from Core de Roma
*2012 ZAGAT Rated: Food(25) Service(23)* *2011 ZAGAT Rated: Food(25) Service(23)* *2010 ZAGAT Rated: Food(23) Service(24)* *2009 ZAGAT Rated: Food(23) Service(24)* Core de Roma Trattoria is a casual, intimate, family owned Trattoria, offering authentic Roman cuisine while upholding the best of Roman tradition. Some examples of our mouth watering Roman delicacies include our signature Artichokes alla Romana, Abbacchio(Lamb chops) scotta dito, and Bucatini all'amatriciana. Contrary to what some people say, we spelled our name as "Core de Roma" intentionally, meaning "The Heart of Rome" in our family's dialect. Our ultimate goal is to make all of our customers feel like family through our cozy atmosphere, friendly service, and home-made dishes. At Core De Roma you can expect the true heart of Rome in the heart of Philly.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Core de Roma reviews from OpenTable diners
5 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (2)romantic (1)special occasion (1)hot spot (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/5/2014FYI: After I made the reservation through Open Table the restaurant had a disclaimer stating it was closed and no longer taking reservations as of June 23rd. I called and left them a message. Their recording did not state they were closed but no one ever contacted me back so I assume they shut down. We did not go to the restaurant.
- The Restaurant was Closed!JustJoyDined on 6/28/2014We wanted to go to Core de Roma because of the great ratings. We made a reservation via Open Table for our anniversary dinner. I also called them and left a message on their voicemail, which they did not respond, but thought, "maybe they're just busy". We got there and there was an official looking sign in the window that said they would would be changing owners. I really wished they would've changed the voicemail message to say that the restaurant was temporarily closed. And I also wish that they had told Open Table about this change, too. At the last minute (literally) we needed to find another good restaurant in Philadelphia near South Street at 6pm on a Saturday night.
- The following 228 reviews are from the Core de Roma reviews archive.
- Unprententous ExcellenceBobbobVIPDined on 5/16/2014Well, the ambiance does not lead you to expect much: the room is not special, the wine list is modest, the service is less than attentive... But...OH, MY! The food is FABULOUS!! When you sit down they bring a plate of beans: wonderful! After quizing the waitress, we ordered the Eggplant Parmesan (Very Good!) and the Ox Tail Stew (TO DIE FOR!!). Next time in Phily, we'll be back, for sure!Special Features:
- Food was finecrackcrabDined on 5/3/2014Unfortunately, we didn't have a good experience. The restaurant was too packed. Too long to even get a menu. Ordered a drink, but it never came. The bean app was good, just the right amount of oil, very flavorful. We ordered different chicken dishes, good but not outstanding. The desert was good - chocolate.Special Features:
- Worst service everOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 5/3/2014There were 8 of us and they wanted to cram us at a table that would fit 6. Once seated, we had to ask for menus. None of the servers were able to figure out who was in charge of our table. We asked each of them to take drink orders several times and were told "You're not my table", "I'll find someone", "Let me check". We waited 40 minutes before someone took responsibility of our table. Which was crazy since there were only about 8 tables in the restaurant. There was no one person in charge. The servers were pulling triple duty, busing tables, serving and bartending. The place was totally disorganized. The positive is the food was delicious, but not worth the hour plus wait. The West Chester location is 1,000 times better!
- KateDined on 5/2/2014Food was not as good as usual. New manager and staff so not familiar with menu.Special Features:
- Good food, odd waitressTarzansgirlVIPDined on 4/30/2014Terrific veal dishes, antipasto, and calamari, topped off with out of this world desserts --light as a feather tiramisu and intense but not heavy chocolate cake. However, our water glasses were frequently empty, and the waitress did not seem to know the menu well at all....no matter what we ordered, it seemed that she had never heard of the dish before. Otherwise, a very nice meal and a terrific value (about $45 a head inc. tax and tip).Special Features:
- Maybe an Off NightDisappointedVIPDined on 4/25/2014All the food we had was delicious. The menu is large enough to find something for everybody. I would ask about the price of the specials before ordering them. The service was very slow and the wait staff kept forgetting the things we asked for. They seemed understaffed, so I will chalk it up to that. Ours appetizers and meals were great.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lasagna is "out of bounds"ESJTVIPDined on 4/24/2014We visit Core de Roma regularly. The meat lasagna was a first and it was SPECTACULAR. Dinners are always good, service is friendly and great. A neat neighborhood restaurant, like a trattoria in Rome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is consistently outstanding!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/17/2014I ordered one of the evening's specials, ravioli with crab meat and shrimp which came with Alfredo sauce, but I had it with blush sauce and it was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never disappointedGourmetWannabeDined on 4/15/2014My third visit and I'll continue to go. The place is authentic, the music is in the background -pleasant and you're able to carry a conversation without raising your voice- and the food is always superbSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday night aliveESJTVIPDined on 4/12/2014Core de Roma always is great but this particular Saturday night it was loud. A very large family group and loud tald. But great food brought forgiveness. This is a find restaurant, just be careful when it's full to capacity. Other than that don't pass it up.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hopefully just a bad night...JennyVIPDined on 4/5/2014I can't imagine the Service is this poor every night. We actually thought we might be on hidden camera it was so bad. The staff were new and clearly stressed and overwhelmed. At first it was irritating because we just stood and waited. And then sat and waited. But then it got to the point where we started to feel badly for all of the servers. It was chaos from the moment we walked in, until just after we were served our entrees. It seemed like the Manager--or more likely the Owner--came in and the energy became less stressed and it flowed better. I don't know if there is a typically a bartender but it must be truly a bring your own wine, because the servers had no idea how to make cocktails and they took forever to get.I would recommend this to a friend.
- WilburWilburVIPDined on 4/5/2014Each of the 5 people who attended thought the food was good, especially the veal dishes ( although the sauces were a bit to sweet ). Dessert was fair at best. The waiting staff is a bit overwhelmed and you will not be rushed. We were there for 2:45 minutes . It is a shame the staff has to clean tables and also set- up. Most important you will have trouble hearing people at your table - very loud.
- A nice nightSwi1Dined on 3/23/2014Small place but was a pleasant surprise. Food and service were very good with a family feel.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great South Street RestaurantYardleyVIPDined on 3/9/2014The food and service is great. A very charming restuarants and everything was tasty and delicious. Will be go back again when we are back in Philadelphia. Tara was a great waitress, helpful and provided excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful night outNB96Dined on 2/23/2014We had a fantastic dinner. The server shared the daily specials, and they didn't disappoint!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic ItalianPattyzDined on 2/4/2014Loved the whole experience. The owner will accommodate anything off the menu if you ask. the artichokes were incredible! Great food ever time we go and for many years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always at the top of our listleelovesitalianDined on 1/9/2014Always at the top of our list - delicioso! Enjoyed their amazing sauce in their chicken Parmesan and we loved the fish dishes too !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden gemOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/27/2013Great Italian food. Unique specials. Good prices for a BYO. There is a family feel as the waiters are always the same. I've been here four times and have never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad nightOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 12/27/2013This place is usually pretty good. It is small and has excellent authentic roman food. The problem was that they were way under staffed. The one waiter did a wonderful job but he just had to cover the whole restaurant himself. I would recommend this place because it is reasonably priced and the food is good. We just got it on a bad night for service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special PlaceLMSIVIPDined on 12/26/2013Whenever we visit Philly we try to get a reservation here for its wonderful ambiance, service and food. It's always an enjoyable evening out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good neighbor hood ItalianOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/13/2013Food goo. Friendly , prompt service. Located in society hill areaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is our favoriteESJTVIPDined on 12/12/2013We love this place, Had the lamb shank ossa buca, absolutely great on a bed of mashed potatoes also great. This is a really friendly palce to relax and enjoy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid PerformerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/23/2013Core de Roma is always excellent and the service is great. They have the best artichokes and any pasta you choose will be perfect. This is a high recommendation. The only issue can occasionally be the noise. Core de Roma is popular for parties and groups (because they are so good at accommodating them). Sometimes the groups can be loud.Special Features:
- Nice place / food hit and missAnonymousDined on 11/23/2013Staff is generally very attentive. However I got a steak that was only fair and was burnt on the outside and too rare otherwise. Cesare salad was unappetizing. Wine list very small and wine somewhat musty. Other diners loved the pasta. Hoowever the fried clamari was excellent.Special Features:
- Getting to be a habiESJTVIPDined on 11/21/2013Core de Roma is really a good place to visit. The eggplant parmigiana is great eating. But the place is like home, confortable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and it's a BYOB.OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/15/2013Great food and it's a BYOB. They also have a full bar and wine list so if you run out of your own or forget you can purchase directly from the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We always enjoy Core De RomaPhillyJimDined on 11/10/2013We've loved Core De Roma since friends took us here in 2008. In turn, we took a friend to Core De Roma who worked in New York City and lived near the restaurant, and he was amazed at the quality and value at Core De Roma, and the fact that he did not know about it. We feel like we're dining at home when we are at Cora De Roma. To us it is a gem we have to visit again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This great neighborhood restaurantclcdvmDined on 11/7/2013This great neighborhood restaurant has survived the South Street demise of many well established restaurants and businesses. They treat you like one of the family ... always with a smile and the traditional European greeting. The menu selections will leave no one at the table without at least a toss up between three temptations. Their artichokes are a superb start to any meal. Being a family run restaurant allows that incredible personal attention. Buon appetitoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Continuing great!!!!ESJTVIPDined on 11/3/2013Went with two long time friends, both first time at Core. They, and we loved it. Tonight eggplant parmigiana beautiful. Flounder with crab for our friends great. Just a great place to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food but took too longPartyof8Dined on 11/2/2013I came to Core de Roma with a lot of my relatives for a get-together and we had a great time. However, it took two hours for us to get our entrees. I understand that the Italian meal is typically longer than the American dinner; however, this is not a high-end, full-service, multi-course-only Italian restaurant and I believe the length was not intentional but accidental and unfortunate. Our server was very polite but there was no explanation for the delay from the kitchen staff or chef. The food itself was tasty but not worth seeking out; we chose this place because it was an Italian BYOB in Old City and near a party we were going to afterward. I wouldn't seek it out again if I didn't have those same requirements.Special Features:
- I've eaten here a few timesJLD214Dined on 10/26/2013I've eaten here a few times and the food is always quite good. Everything is prepared fresh so this isn't the place to go if you're in a hurry. It's a very small restaurant so if there's a group you will overhear every word of their conversation. Enjoy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was surprisedMegsVIPDined on 10/25/2013My friend and I went here before seeing a show at the TLA. When I first arrived I was not impressed with the place and had started to second guess myself and my choice of restaurants. I was pleasantly surprised. The food and service were very good and I ended up having to bring home most of my meal because the portions were so big. I will definitely be heading back again.Special Features:
- great eveningtimand4gsDined on 10/18/2013small intimate great service very good food, ask about the specials don't forget dessertSpecial Features:
- monicaMonicaDined on 9/28/2013Great friendly atmosphere! Food tasty! Desert yummy! Service great!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over ratedPWMLJMDined on 9/28/2013I was disappointed in the overall dining experiance at Core de Roma. My food was somewhat bland and not special (lamb shank on Risotto) but my partner had a fish and crab dish that was a noth above the lamb. Ambiance was not good and on a crowded night the noise level was somewhat high. Previous reviews tended to over rate.
- This was our first visit.luv2dineDined on 9/21/2013This was our first visit. Very good food and service. Looking forward to a return visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent food!dandtlavDined on 9/13/2013This was our second time at Core de Roma. We enjoyed the artichoke appetizer as well as two outstanding pasta dishes and tiramisu. The restaurant is BYOB and did jot charge a corkage fee! We will be be back the next time we are in Philly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Now that's Romano!MarcoNVIPDined on 9/8/2013Unbelievable! Authentic Roman Italian! The beans, artichokes, cacio e pepe (if you are Roman or have been, you'll know) and bresaola! WOW! Be back as soon as possible.Special Features: