Core de Roma - West Chester
327 E. Gay St.
West Chester, PA 19380Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Core de Roma - West Chester
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.corederoma.us/
- Phone: (610) 701-8485
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Sunday 12:00pm - 2:30pm;
Monday - Saturday: 4:30pm - 9:00pm;
Sunday: 3:00pm - 9:00pm;
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Papa Gigi
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, BYO Liquor, Cafe, Counter Seating, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: We can customize catering upon request.
A word from Core de Roma - West Chester
Core de Roma Trattoria is a casual, intimate, family owned Trattoria, offering authentic Roman cuisine while upholding the best of Roman tradition. Some examples of our mouth watering Roman delicacies include our signature Artichokes alla Core de Roma, Saltimbocca, and Bucatini alla Matriciana. Contrary to what some people say, we spelled our name as "Core de Roma" intentionally, meaning "The Heart of Rome" in our family's dialect. Our ultimate goal is to make all of our customers feel like family through our cozy atmosphere, friendly service, and home-made dishes. At Core de Roma you can expect the true heart of Rome in the heart of Philly.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Core de Roma - West Chester - Best Restaurants in West Chester ›
Core de Roma - West Chester reviews from OpenTable diners
137 reviews since July 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (93)fit for foodies (70)good for groups (43)special occasion (35)romantic (16)great for lunch (16)kid-friendly (11)hot spot (10)great for brunch (3)late-night find (2)great for outdoor dining (1)scenic view (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Foodie888VIPDined on 11/22/2014This was a random pick through open table! The food and service were great!! The fresh mozzarella, fig jam salad was wonderful! My friends and I plan to return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/21/2014I have been to Core de Roma many times, and have enjoyed every meal. The food is very good, and service is very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highs and LowsMaxmikeDined on 11/18/2014There were some high and lows during my visit. First, this is a true BYOB-no corkage fee whatsoever. Second, while our veal dishes were ample(3 medallions of good quality veal cutlet each) the marsala dish was a hit while the Valdosta dish was a miss owing to a off-putting taste in either the topping or the demi-glace. Further, a ceasar salad was bland with no anchovy taste whatsoever and a side of spaghetti aio oio suffered as well from a lack of seasoning. Last and most disturbing was the pricing of the "specials" . I have long known that it is wise to ask the price of any entree that is mentioned by the server as a special of the evening. I did not do so when the server mentioned an appetizer special of grilled sausage and broccoli rabe and I was shocked when the bill listed a charge of $15. No other appetizer was more than $12. Further, the dish consisted of 1 butterflied Italian sausage link on a bed of broccoli. This blatant price-gouge left a very bad taste in our mouths and is reason enough to avoid a return visit.
- Nice menu!OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/16/2014We were promptly seated. This is a BYOB, our wine opened. The menu is extensive with many typical chicken,veal and pasta dishes. There is also steak. Ii ordered a Caesar salad. It was delicious. My entree was chicken cora de Roma, which was chicken with spinich, crab in a white wine sauce. It was a nice size portion. The waiter was very attentive. We were a group of three couples with lots of conversation. We lingered long after coffee and were not rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood goodyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/14/2014Everything was very enjoyable, especially the artichoke appetizer. The only problem was the noise level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mondmondVIPDined on 11/9/2014We have frequented this restaurant for five months on a regular basis. For us it has been a delight. We have tried many of their selections and most all have been from good to excellent. Service has been mostly outstanding and highly attentive. With all that aside, this Trattoria is passionate about its business and will go way beyond the competition to provide the attention, service and selections to satisfy us. They make us feel that we are their only customers. For us the difference between an excellent restaurant and very good one is not the delicious food, or excellent service or the pleasant people at the front desk or at the table, it is in achieving consistency in meeting those three criteria as they have done so for us.Special Features:
- bobbieDined on 11/8/2014Grest food and great service! Though a little noisy, the food was worth it!Special Features:
- mondVIPDined on 11/1/2014Owned and operated by people who not only enjoy what they do but are passionate doing it. It is a restaurant that serves delicious food with excellent service and by pleasant people. The dishes we particularly enjoy are the Branzino, Eggplant Rollatini, muscles, and the and the Veal Chop. The Cannoli dessert is our favorite. The pasta is particularly inviting but unfortunately that's a dish we have to avoid for personal reasons, but when we on rare occasions sampled it, they make their own, it was really really enjoyable.Special Features:
- SammyDined on 10/29/2014The food is very good and the service was great. Unfortunately, the noise level is off the charts! Would recommend going on a week night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Core de RomaJmark55Dined on 10/26/2014First time patrons. Recommended by friends. Upon arrival, greeted by owner and taken to a comfortable and spacious table immediately. Waite staff was quick, friendly and informative. We brought our wine, (BYOB). Bread, appetizer and entree were all outstanding. Concluded dinner with tea, (varied choices) and cappuccino which were excellent. No room for dessert! All food was original and delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and servicecasualdinerDined on 10/26/2014The food was excellent, we had a party of 7 and everyone loved their meals. Portions were perfect - even had some "take home". The service was excellent and the staff efficient and helpful. There were several large parties but still served efficiently and timely.Special Features:
- Fresh Italian!KARfoodieDined on 10/25/2014We enjoyed our first time at Core de Roma. Everything was delicious & fresh. Real candles on the tablres are a nice romantic touch. The burrata melted in our mouths, and the artichoke appetizer was very good. The seafood in the cioppino was all very fresh & plentiful. My chicken dish with crabmeat was delicious. Portions were good-sized and somehow we managed to clear our plates despite the quantity of foo. We had a good server who took better care of us than did some of the other servers at other tables around us. We just wish we'd realized this was a BYO establishment, since wine would've made the meal even more complete. We plan to return.Special Features:
- tdmondVIPDined on 10/24/2014Delicious items on the menu as well as their specials, great service and pleasant people at reception and at the table.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/19/2014Food was excellent. Service was great. Management and waiter checked to make sure all was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mr Tom Mc Leanlove2dineoutDined on 10/18/2014Excellent food. Real Italian style. Most important, that really made our night, was the excellent service we received from our server, Tina. Although it was very crowded, she handled herself as if we were the only ones in the restaurant. She was very attentive. And more important, she smiled every time she came over to the table.Special Features:
- a special find in West Chesteravalon39Dined on 10/18/2014We enjoyed our first time dining at 'Core de Roma" very much -- food was wonderful and large portions - plus great that it is a 'BYOB' can't wait to go back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Second, third timeMarblesDined on 10/13/2014Our first/second visits had been good, but not knockout. Now we took friends (italian friends) and had absolutely wonderful food (braciole, valdostana, Bronzino). Our friends will definitely be back, too.Special Features:
- FoodDudeDined on 10/10/2014We had a great first visit we will be going back soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BYOBOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/9/2014Went here for a repeat visit, first time we loved the food and service but found the back room very loud, and that impacted our enjoyment. This time we asked to sit in the front room and it was fantastic. We had a nice quiet table along the window, the selection is very good. My wife had the veal marsala, which she loved. I had a special home made fettuccini with shrimp and crab in a fra diavolo, spicy, sauce. Both were excellent. We started with a special mozzarella, prosciutto, peppers appetizer. Brought one of our favorite Italian wines, we go to BYO's so we can accompany our wines with a great meal and this place did the trick.Special Features:
- Funny Spot, Great PlaceTwoProfsDined on 10/5/2014A strip mall outside of downtown West Chester--not a likely location, but it works well. Service is very friendly and the food is terrific. The only downside is the noise level; sit in the front room.Special Features:
- Great Italian FoodIrocketVIPDined on 10/3/2014The lasagna is the best in the area, melts in your mouth.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a wonderful dining experience.grand4Dined on 10/3/2014Core de Roma is a true Italian cuisine restaurant. The food is made fresh and the dishes are those that are sampled in Italy. My husband is Italian and this is one of the few Italian restaurants that he enjoys. Even the desserts are delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Noisy with Adequate FoodVegetarianVIPDined on 10/2/2014On a recent visit, Core de Roma was so noisy it was impossible to have a conversation. Our server was nice but not skilled, with multiple spills of one bottle of champagne. The evening was punctuated with crashes of china, glasses, and silverware--most by the waitstaff. Food ok. Nothing particularly inventive--including the specials. Would not go back for dinner.
- We Miss Core De Roma in Phila!sacean1Dined on 9/27/2014Core De Roma in West Chester was transported from Philadelphia with the same fine leadership and vision of Luigi and company. My husband and I recently enjoyed our favorite mouth-watering veal chop stuffed with prosciutto and cheese and infamous bolognaise over fettuccini (added cream to the West Chester recipe for us Philadelphians). A BYOB, this place is a real treat for anyone looking for authentic Italian with the flavors and tastes of Rome. We miss him in our Center City neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JPFoodieDined on 9/27/2014Great authentic Iltalian! Dinner was great. Good food, nice waiter. Price reasonable.Special Features:
- Like it a lot!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/23/2014We have visited Core de Roma at least once a month for the past year and have had terrific food and service every time. They are now open for lunch and a first visit was great. Our only complaint at dinner is the noise level. Somebody had the bright idea to paint the ceiling tiles so there is nothing to cut down the decibel level. They also have an online reservation that, so far, has worked flawlessly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- H82cokDined on 9/20/2014Dinner was delicious. Enjoyed some wonderful Italian specialtiesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A diamond in the roughJackieDined on 9/18/2014Core de Roma is such a great hidden gem. Great food, great service, and a nice place for a girls night out or date night. Love that it's a BYOB so the bill doesn't get outrageous because of the bar tab. No complaints. Definitely would recommend.Special Features:
- JoanneVIPDined on 9/9/2014Consistently good and staff very friendly and attentive!Special Features:
- Disaappointed but will try againRickDined on 9/6/2014We went to Core de Roma because we had been there once before and had a decent experience. We loved the food and were looking forward to the dinner. Unfortunately we had a pretty bad experience this time. We reached on time and had a online reservation. We were received by a gentleman and he was very friendly. He went to find a table for us but no one came back for more than 15 mins. Disappointed, we just left.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/3/2014Exceptional Italian food -- love the BYOB feature too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love fresh pastaAfromGlenoldenDined on 9/3/2014Not too many places you can get fresh gnocci handcut? Delicious.Special Features:
- Will give another trypavoglersDined on 8/31/2014My first visit and I have mixed feelings. We were seated next to a large table celebrating a birthday, so it was very noisy. There was only one server working the whole room so service was slow. My veal chop was delicious and the mashed potatoes seasoned to perfection. My artichoke app. not so good; the meatballs were good but nothing special. The gnocchi were light but lacked the fork tine roll off special touch. Skip the tiramisu. I will be going back to try some seafood and hope it not so loud.I would recommend this to a friend.
- LippoDined on 8/30/2014Broad menu and excellent food. Easy parking. Excellent wait staff. BYOB an extra plusSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will try againMM0822Dined on 8/30/2014Pleasant restaurant and owner greeted us at the door. Food very good, but service much too slow. About an half hour before our food order was taken. Will give it another shot at some point.Special Features:
- Our favorite place!ChaddsfordfoodieVIPDined on 8/30/2014My husband and I love to try restaurants all over Chester County, and this is still by far, our favorite! The service is excellent and the food is outstanding! This is our 'go to' place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply excellentflowtopsVIPDined on 8/29/2014I experienced Trippa alla Romana for the first time and also had the Rigatoni alla Boscaiola.I highly recommend this restaurant for foodies to experience culinary excellence using basic ingredients in wonderful ways. AND its a BYOB!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with friendsLifeIsGoodDined on 8/28/2014We had dinner with friends at Core de Roma. We all chose different dishes and were all pleased. The food was well prepared and came out in a timely manner. Fortunately the restaurant was not full, due to the Labor Day holiday, which kept the noise level down. The owner was very attentive and responded quickly when called upon. The staff was friendly and fun. However, there was not enough staff, and we had to call on te owner often for service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oh what a find!!!Food123Dined on 8/24/2014This is such a fun place, the service was great, food excellent, take as long as you want to order they will not rush you through, when you're ready they will be ready. The owner stopped by to see if we were being taken care of and everything was to our liking. I wanted a shrimp dish that was not on the menu; but no problem, it was prepared as if Mom was in the kitchen. We met some lovely people sitting nearby who we chatted with briefly, then some other locals stopped by our table on their way out. I have a very good feeling we are going to become steady locals and certainly be back with some of our friends. Let's not tell too many people or we won't be able to be walk-ins.Special Features:
- Neighborhood GemTrishDined on 8/23/2014This was our 5 visit to Core de Roma and we can't wait to go back. The salads are fresh and interesting. The food arrives hot and I have enjoyed grilled fish, veal, chicken and pasta all of which were excellent. Trish G.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.