1122 Ninth Street, NW
Washington, DC 20001Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.corduroydc.com/
- Phone: 2025890699x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday through Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm; Corduroy is available for private dining and receptions during the day and on Sundays.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Tom Power, Chef/Owner
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Corduroy offers two private rooms. One room can seat up to 16, the other can seat up to 24 and they can combine to seat 40. The entire restaurant can be made available for a sit down dinner for 100 or a cocktail reception for 200.
- Private Party Contact: Pete Poling 2025890699x
A word from Corduroy
Corduroy serves the best of the season with much of the restaurants produce coming from local farms. Corduroy is not handicapped accessible due to the historic nature of our building. No shorts are permitted.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Corduroy - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Corduroy reviews from OpenTable diners
167 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (125)fit for foodies (124)romantic (93)notable wine list (70)neighborhood gem (68)good for groups (19)hot spot (7)vibrant bar scene (4)great for outdoor dining (2)late-night find (2)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Love this restaurantLisaMDined on 8/30/2014Food is always outstanding. It's charm is the wonderful service and the staff who make you feel very welcome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticFB0037FoodieVIPDined on 8/29/2014Corduroy is quite possibly the best restaurant I've been to in DC. The relatively simple menu allows the chef to excel at many different pieces. I had the lamb, and the only downside is I didn't think to order two servings for myself. The wine list offers a broad selection, both by the half bottle and full bottle. Great, attentive wait staff. This should be at the top of everyone's list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A bit out of the way but worth it!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/28/2014We opted for the Chef's tasting menu. Although the restaurant does wine pairings using their wines-by-the-glass menu, our waiter (who is also the sommelier) suggested that we order from their by-the-bottle menu. We opted for 2 glasses of white for the first 2 courses and a bottle of red for the remaining courses. He really knew the food and the wine list and was also respectful of our budget. The meal was outstanding - perhaps 1 of the best meals my partner and I have ever eaten. Each course was perfectly prepared - chilled tomato soup with thai chili pepper, pan seared scallops with grits, smoked pork tenderloin with zucchini… My mouth is watering just recounting it. Great ambience. Spectacular service. Go before the rest of DC finds it!Special Features:
- Suzanne007VIPDined on 8/27/2014second time at the restaurant and the food and service are consistently top notchSpecial Features:
- One of DC's Best!CathyAVIPDined on 8/26/2014Went to Corduroy on a Tuesday, so the dining room was not busy. This allowed our server (Oriana, I believe) to be most attentive. My colleague and I shared the heirloom tomato salad and soft shell crab to start (both wonderful!). My entree (scallops) was cooked to perfection and my colleague's salmon was also excellent. The only "negative" we encountered was trying to find a reasonably priced bottle of wine (the list is extensive, but many bottles are over-priced). Overall, a great experience. We will definitely be returning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet night but ...PaterFamiliasVIPDined on 8/26/2014... Great food. Lobster carpaccio was excellent. Tuna entrée was fresh but surprised by silverskin connective tissue in such a prime cut. On balance, a find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AlisonjVIPDined on 8/9/2014We had dinner with two other couples and everyone raved about their meal and we all joined the clean plate club. I had the corn soup starter and the tuna main course, which were delicious!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A very special dinnerbcfanDined on 8/9/2014We chose Corduroy after reading the outstanding reviews and we were not misled. We chose the chef's Surprise Tasting Menu, wonderful choice. The crab blintz and the seared scallops - ummm. It was our wedding anniversary so we wanted a special meal and it was.Special Features:
- Fabulous!RoseVIPDined on 8/5/2014Very interesting combination of ingredients and beautiful presentation...loved the overall experience! Our server was very friendly and knowledgable...My coworker lives in Chicago and our server was from the Chicagoland area, so he totally connected with us.Special Features:
- cathyDined on 8/1/2014excellent food and outstanding, attentive service. I will return often.Special Features:
- FantasticEMidwifeVIPDined on 7/31/2014We took our friends to Corduroy's for a special birthday occasion. Our experience was perfect in every way. The service and atmosphere were excellent. We ordered the tasting menu where you get many courses of small plates with wonderful food. The food was interesting, delicious with a very nice presentation. We will definitely be back to enjoy the special tasting menu. Eileen and MikeSpecial Features:
- We LOVED Corduroy!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/30/2014I took my partner out for a special birthday dinner to Corduroy and it was amazing - expensive, but amazing. From our first cocktail to the dessert everything was perfect. The service was solid - our waitress was knowledgeable about the menu and wine list. I had the red snapper bisque for an appetizer and it was perfect. The salmon entree was well prepared and delicious. I had to say that the peach tart tartin was my favorite part of the meal. I could eat one every day - it was perfect. Thanks Corduroy - we're glad to have you in the neighborhood!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A lil stuffyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/28/2014Went for dinner with a friend, before a movie premier. She had on shorts, which we didn't notice from the email, weren't allowed, so the maitre d' had her put on a wrap. (Wha?) The guy with the suit pants and running shoes was ok though, I guess, as I heard the word 'appropriations' come from the table. Loved our waiter, but the venue seemed to choose formality over substance, especially given the views of 9th street and the convention center wall across the street. Too many choices in DC to ever go back.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 7/26/2014Absolutely wonderful dining experience from the time you enter you feel like you are the most special person in this restaurant. Service is gracious Knowledgeable and not intrusive. The chef never misses cuisine is excellent not a bad choice to be had! The lobster carpaccio is a treat and the corn soup is a wonderful velvety texture and flavorful experience. The crispy salmon was excellent and if you are a chocoholic the chocolate torte is the way to finish your meal but is not for the faint of heart. The wine list is excellent and wonderful selections by the glass as well. A special place in DC that is always at the top of our list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic anniversary dinnerDowntownfoodieVIPDined on 7/26/2014Had the chef's tasting applied to our Paleo diet! Wow! Every dish was outstanding. Our server(s) were very engaged and engaging. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- Delicious but priceyYoungDCresidentDined on 7/25/2014The food was excellent, but with two apps and one entree each, the bill was over 250$ for four people wirhout wine. This is a great place if you don't mind spending an arm and a leg. It is worth noting that the service was impeccable.Special Features:
- A MUST to dine at while in DC!ElainaSaysDined on 7/24/2014I booked for a large international group at Corduroy one evening. Upon arrival, we had a few extra people show up. The staff was calm and very accommodating! We were seated w a party larger than expected, served w amazing service, the food was superb, the wine list encompassing (for the wine enthusiasts in the group), and desserts to die for! We didn't realize that the restaurant closed during our dinner that went later than expected, but never once did the staff rush us or mention anything to us. We concluded our night and departed w a very memorable experience. Oh! They tailor for gluten-free too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food but small portionsdhvaDined on 7/24/2014Overall, I thought the food was tremendous. We did the 5-course tasting menu for five people, and it was delicious. They were able to accommodate several dietary restrictions and the menu was well thought out. My only knock on the food was that the portion size was small. I have been fortunate enough to eat at many of DC's finest restaurants, and this was the only tasting menu where I came away still hungry. I think the restaurant's generosity with bread was a tacit admission of their portion sizes. The other comment I have is I found the ambiance a little lacking. It was not as fine as comparable restaurants, and to be clear, I do not like a stuffy environment. Unfortunately, it is hard to put my finger on it.Special Features:
- Good Cuisine Near Convention CenterBucksFoodieDined on 7/24/2014Knowledgeable and friendly service, creative menu, good food throughout the menu. A very enjoyable experience.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/22/2014Went here for the fixed price dinner and was thoroughly impressed. Delicious, perfectly filling, and varied enough that you can taste most of the food pyramid in one night. Excellent dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Underwhelming.MikeDined on 7/22/2014From the cocktails to the first course to the entree, nothing we had at Corduroy lived up to expectations. Even their limited menu contained inaccuracies, of which we were not informed. Service was awkwardly timed, coming sometimes as an unwelcome interruption and sometimes far too infrequently. On the weeknight we visited, the dining room was not remotely crowded, leaving us to wonder why an ostensibly upscale restaurant was having such difficulty providing a positive experience. There are too many other options that area diners can enjoy for me to recommend Corduroy, unless you're at the convention center and need a white tablecloth restaurant within a 1 minute walk.
- AwesomebaltimoredinerDined on 7/19/2014Lot's to like about Corduroy: the environment, food, staff, and location. A $7 cab ride from the Verizon Center, it's easily accessible. If it's just you and your date/guest, ask to be seated at the two person booths as they are tucked away in what seems like a private area of the dining room. The service is quick, attentive, and informed without being annoying. The best part of the restaurant, as it should be, is the food. My girlfriend and I both did the five course chef "surprise" tasting menu -- but the waiter was kind enough to take "recommendations" as to what courses we would like to try. Perhaps most reassuring is the relative value of the experience, as the tasting menu (consisting of 5 courses and 1 dessert) amounts to ~12/plate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highlight of an eveningKurliDined on 7/18/2014On a Friday, we had rushed to Fringe Festival to see a play but were denied entrance since we were 5 minutes late. It set the evening off in a bad way. However, after catching a different play, we dined at Corduroy and were delighted on all accounts. They made us feel welcome, took care of us unobtrusively. I had antelope which was delicious, ranch raised in Texas we were told. My wife had guinea hen, which was remarkably good when she gave me a piece to taste. She had carpaccio lobster that she said was out of this world. I had heirloom tomatoes in delicious dressing. We ended with home made ice-cream, 3 different flavor scoops. As the waiter pointed homemade raspberry ice-cream is not red with coloring but pale purple.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never DisappointsDCFoodieDined on 7/18/2014We have eaten at Corduroy a number of times and have never had a meal that is less than our expectations. Chef-owner Tom knows how to take simple fare make it elegant but not strange, and at the same time very tasty. The service is totally unobtrusive but there when you need it. And the noise level is such that you can hear the people in your party without straining. If you happen to be out for a romantic evening, they have a several alcoves where you feel as though you are the only two in the place.Special Features:
- CorduroyEJL500Dined on 7/16/2014Food was excellent & service was competent. We had a party for 7 for a business dinner. Everyone was complimentary of their meal.Special Features:
- Best bang for the buck tasting menu801MDined on 7/12/2014Food, drink, service and surroundings were exemplary. The tasting menu was outstanding, and at $70 has to be the best value in town!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Little Disappointed with the FoodHenryVIPDined on 7/12/2014I ate in this restaurant a number of years ago (other location) and really enjoyed it. We were there recently on a Saturday night. The food was ok- not really inspiring. Otherwise nice time.
- Excellent and SophistcatedOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/12/2014Really lovely restaurant - a place that grown ups should try. Discreet service, very professional, excellent bar and the food is inventive but not trendy. This is the sort of restaurant that foodies like myself talk about with other foodies.Special Features:
- Great FoodAmbience needs attentionOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/11/2014THE FOOD -My wife and I had a wonderful meal on Friday night , We both had the Tuna Entree , prepared Ahi style, was excellent! Salads were very creative and the Tuna Tartar was delightful. love the desserts ! THE WINE LIST - NOT SO GOOD - Only 3 white and reds by the glass . Many restaurants of this caliber offer more of a selection ( my wife likes white , I like reds ) Ambience- The restaurant needs operational attention , the ceiling above us was damaged , windows dirty , painting needed etc - a little back ground music would be welcomed . Bottom line , as a frequent DC high end diner , I would highly recommend Corduroy for the food , once they expand the wines by the glass selection and clean up the place , I'll be back !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovelyOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/10/2014had the tasting menu - nice place, terrific service, excellent food but wine pairing so/so.Special Features:
- Intimate EveningTimDVIPDined on 7/9/2014My new husband and I celebrated our honeymoon dinner at Corduroy and it was AMAZING. We were treated to glasses of champagne upon our arrival and tried the 5-course chef's selections for our dinners. The food was outstanding. By far the absolute BEST meal we had in DC for our wedding week. Expensive, but well worth the cost. Trusting the chef is a must - he has an amazing ability to piece together such a wonderfully flavorful meal that shined throughout the entire dining experience. Servers were on top of their game and very professional in their presentations of the food. We loved it and will certainly return next time we're in DC. A gem of a restaurant in a not-so-nice looking neighborhood, but once you're inside, it's all good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow!tastemattersmostDined on 7/7/2014A buddy of mine was giving suggestions on restaurants for my anniversary dinner and he couldn't stop raving about Corduroy. I decided to give it a shot and the wife and I were thoroughly impressed. The waiter was informative and attentive without being overbearing. The ambiance was subdued without feeling sleepy and most importantly the food was absolutely amazing without being pretentious. The tuna tartar was one of the best things I've had in a very long time. A lot of places talk about letting the ingredients speak for themselves but very few places pull that off like Corduroy. I don't usually write reviews but I just had to share how awesome I think this place is.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ReviewerVIPDined on 7/5/2014I celebrated my birthday and a friend's at Corduroy which was on both of our bucket lists for "must do" restaurants. Corduroy lived up to its name. The service was seamless; ambiance was perfect and intimate; and the food was sensational-we both had salmon-was well cooked and presented. The restaurant topped off our dinner with mini-birthday desert plates with candles. Really sweet. Absolutely a totally wonderful experience.Special Features:
- We will returnVinoDined on 7/5/2014Surprising interior if one judges from the exterior of the restaurant. All for the better. Impeccable service. My tuna was out of this world, while my wife's Pork Tenderloin left much to be desired. The Tenderloin was removed from the bill. Heirloom tomato salad was wonderful and the cheese platter for my dessert was delicious. Very nice wine list as well and the server was very helpful in choosing a wine to go with both entrees. We will definitely return.Special Features:
- Service ruins mealPhilVIPDined on 6/28/2014The waiter was rude and careless spilling water, beer and wine on table and diners. Service ruined good cuisine!
- YumlutetiaDined on 6/27/2014Delicious food. Try the tasting menu. And request that it include the tuna tartar, which is out of this world. Simply the best bite of food you'll ever have.Special Features:
- Fantastic for "Date Night"KellyTBDined on 6/24/2014My husband and I choose this restaurant due to recommendations from a coworker and positive reviews online. It is extremely convenient to those attending conferences at the DC Convention Center. The food was fantastic and the service impeccable. We opted to try the Chef's Five Course Tasting Menu and were very pleased with the selections served. Great restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentDavisfolksVIPDined on 6/23/2014Wonderful meal with exceptional service. I would return again in a heartbeat.Special Features:
- Resplendent!dne99Dined on 6/20/2014The five courses plus amuse-bouch were elegantly prepared and served, paired with wines that enhanced their exquisiteness, Certainly, on par with some of the best. Thanks to Sam for making our celebration special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious mealKsparicoVIPDined on 6/20/2014My husband and I celebrated our 9th anniversary here and had a great experience. The beet salad was fresh and delicous and the scallops and hen were out of this world. Sam was great in assisting us with a perfect Pinot Noir with our meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.