1122 Ninth Street, NW
Washington, DC 20001Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.corduroydc.com/
- Phone: (202) 589-0699
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday through Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm; Corduroy is available for private dining and receptions during the day and on Sundays.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Tom Power, Chef/Owner
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Corduroy offers two private rooms. One room can seat up to 16, the other can seat up to 24 and they can combine to seat 40. The entire restaurant can be made available for a sit down dinner for 100 or a cocktail reception for 200.
- Private Party Contact: Pete Poling 2025890699x
A word from Corduroy
Corduroy serves the best of the season with much of the restaurants produce coming from local farms. Corduroy is not handicapped accessible due to the historic nature of our building. No shorts are permitted.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Corduroy - Best Restaurants in Downtown ›
Corduroy reviews from OpenTable diners
175 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (129)special occasion (109)notable wine list (73)romantic (70)neighborhood gem (59)good for groups (20)hot spot (8)great for lunch (4)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/24/2014The signature appetizer of Lobster Carpacio with Drawn Butter was a total winner! The Amish chicken and the Guinea Hen were both very worthy. The big letdown was in the dessert of Tarte Tatin. It was anything but that!! A Tarte Tatin has carmelized apples. These apples were not only not cartelized, they were soggy. It never should have been given that glorified name. Really too bad for a restaurant that would otherwise get a much higher rating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So good!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/22/2014Chef's tasting menu was delicious! The tuna tartar was certainly the most memorable thing I have eaten in weeks. Great selection of California Cab's on the wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impressedLocalman355Dined on 11/22/2014Not what I was expecting, somewhat stuffy and the food was really not that good. Food was okay, Sea bass was under cooked, service was fine....atmosphere was sedate/dated
- Very nice modern American/French foodthomas5Dined on 11/17/2014Corduroy serves really, really, very nice modern American/French food. The taste of the dishes we had was excellent, and served very elegantly, no negatives at all. All dishes were nearly perfect. The dishes are an interesting combination of French, Asian, and American techniques/tastes, and excellently executed. The lobster appetizer was really great, and the bread pudding is something else, all highly recommended (not that the other dishes were not great).Special Features:
- disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/17/2014Given what I had read about this restaurant we were expecting much more interesting food. Perhaps you have to order the tasting menu to get creative dishes with interesting flavors. We didn't feel we could eat that many courses so ordered off the menu. The food was fresh and well prepared but none of our dishes had any creative spark and our overall reaction was ho-hum. Service was good and the wine recommendation was very good. The noise level permitted conversation between all four of us. But of our 6 dinners in DC this week, this was the least imaginative and most like something I might find at any number of restaurants back home in a college town of < 100,000.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 11/13/2014From the moment we walked in, I was impressed. The host was able to accommodate our group despite my making a reservation for the wrong day. Our waiter was wonderful and the food was delicious. I will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic EveningJamesVDined on 11/10/2014The food was amazing and the service top notch. The service was very detailed and made great menu suggestions and clarified any menu items that weren't clear. Will definitely be back and highly recommend Corduroy for a special occasion.Special Features:
- A night to remember!AwolDCDined on 11/10/2014The dinner my parents and my boyfriend had at Corduroy was remarkable. Having been in the DMV for 3 years, I can confidently say that Corduroy's food is the best I've had in DC. The food was absolutely exquisite! And the staff are wonderful. Our server Andrew was not only helpful, but incredibly personable and attentive. For sure, Corduroy has cemented it's spot as my "Go-To" restaurant for a special occasion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Gem of an EveningFoodie08VIPDined on 11/8/2014Corduroy is an intimate restaurant conveniently located in Downtown Washington. The excellent food was imaginatively prepared, and the service was outstanding. Best of all, as a party of eight, we were delighted to find such a lovely, quiet atmosphere in which we could actually have civilized conversation. Thank you Corduroy; we look forward to returning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining OutIrishDined on 11/8/2014We enjoyed the layout and atmosphere of the restaurant. We felt that the service was sporadic and at times that we were forgotten by the waiter. We were given water when we arrived, but it was some time before we were offered cocktails before the meal was ordered. Three of the four people in our party ordered the Wagyu Beef and each was disappointed in the meat quality, especially in view of the price. The goat cheese salad and the chocolate tart were the highlights of the meal.
- Top quality locavore foodUCLASteveVIPDined on 11/6/2014Who would guess that across from the convention center there is a top flight restaurant. Changing menu supplemented by specials based on what they could buy daily. I had the last of the field local tomatoes, complemented with exceptionally tasty wasabi arugula and some basil oil. I will try to make this at home next summer! Fluke (an eastern flounder that still has a healthy wild fishery) came with sauce on the side so you could appreciate the grilled fish alone or with a tasty accompaniment. Friends had the lamb that was tender and flavorful. Finished with an apple tart that was the perfect mix of apple, spice, crust, and modest sugar. Yum! Great meal all around. Only disappointment was their cheese selection had only one local choice.Special Features:
- We loved it!FoodGirl01VIPDined on 11/4/2014We walked by the place a few days before and then decided to take a chance and reserve a table. Luckily, we were able to get in and the service and food were to die for! Love the carpaccio lobster app and my husband loved his wagyu steak! Everything was perfectly presented and cooked from the apps to dessert (loved the apple tart and raspberry sorbet)!! You definitely must try this wonderful restaurant! We will the next time we are in DC!!Special Features:
- specialluveatingoutVIPDined on 11/1/2014My husband and I had a wonderful meal. The decor is very elegant and the service was attentive. There was a very loud party of 10 next to us, but we didn't mind, they were just enjoying themselves :)Special Features:
- OutstandingAlexVIPDined on 10/31/2014In a modest building opposite the Convention Center is one of the best restaurants in DC. Well spaced tables with comfortable chairs create a relaxing, peaceful environment. Service is professional and friendly without being obtrusive. All food was excellent. Some examples: my lamb was about as good as it gets, tart tartan for dessert was as good as any in France, and my daughter was ecstatic over her beet and goat cheese salad with a thin, circular layer of goat cheese under the vegetables. Prices are high but you get good an outstanding experience for your money.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Meal in DCOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/31/2014The chef is a genius, the food is superb and the tasting menu was perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for a special occasiondblitzenDined on 10/30/2014I took my sister here to celebrate her 50th birthday and we were not disappointed. We ordered the five-course tasting menu and it was such a treat! Not only was the food prepared to perfection, but the waiting staff were informative and enthusiastic about each course. I didn't mention to the staff that we were celebrating a birthday, but when they saw a present on the table, they immediately fetched an extra dessert dish (in addition to the two dishes we already had with the tasting menu) and decorated the edge with the words 'Happy Birthday' written in chocolate. It was a fabulous evening and the three hours we spent there flew by. My sister said it was the best meal she's ever had. Fabulous. I highly recommend it.Special Features:
- Great Client DinnerGroucho1313Dined on 10/30/2014Clients from San Francisco were looking for great food and wine in a setting that was conducive to conversation. They could not have been more pleased. I even convinced them to try the bartender's signature rosemary infused vodka cocktail, and all gave it a thumb's up. Chef prepared me a special vegan pasta with hen of the woods (maitake) mushrooms. Everytihng was excellent.Special Features:
- Loud dinersOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/30/2014Due to a large, loud party seated next to us, we were not able to concentrate on our own conversation
- Ahhhh.....A chef who knows how!travel2eatDined on 10/29/2014Beautifully and correctly prepared seasonal delicacies coupled with local fresh foods and a wonderful, extensive wine list. The Carpaccio Of Lobster with drawn butter (melts in your mouth!) and Seared Pork Loin with grilled Zucchini were fabulous, the Tomato Tonnato and the Lamb Loin with Flageolet Beans were wonderful as a pair of choices as well. The staff were attentive yet unobtrusive, exactly as true professionals should be. The restaurant had a serene, quiet ambiance despite the fire alarm which engaged during our meal. Some patrons left but we didn't. It was worth staying through the ruckus until the DCFD arrived. The best dining experience I've had in a long time! I highly recommend this hidden DC secret, I'll make a return visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/28/2014Food was great, service was not. Service was subpar.Special Features:
- BethDined on 10/27/2014Our waiter was absolutely exceptional - possibly the best service I have ever had. What a delight!Special Features:
- 5 stars!JubsandtheLooDined on 10/25/2014Eating at Corduroy was a wonderful experience. First of all, the restaurant is beautiful, great ambiance, warm and inviting but still very upscale. Our waitress was spectacular, very knowledgeable about the menu, incredibly friendly and checked on us just enough to make sure we were ok but not so much that we were bothered. And the food! The food! To start I had the cauliflower parmesan. It was was so delicious and exactly the right thing on a cool night. For my main course I had the wagyu strip with garlic mashed potatoes. It was perfect! The meat was cooked to perfection and extremely flavorful, highly highly recommended. We finished off with a dessert course of in-house made ice cream. It was a stellar evening! I highly recommend!Special Features:
- Pretty ImpressedOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/25/2014The food is very good at Corduroy, this is a special occassion type of place for sure. We had a very attentive waiter, but he was a bit over the top with his descriptions of everything on the menu. I do realize that "foodies" like to get that level of detail. There are about 100 pinot noir wines on their list.Special Features:
- Innovative but not over the toprichardtisingerDined on 10/25/2014A lot of good choices that take a unique twist on a common ingredient. For example I had a "baby chicken" that was brined overnight, roasted and served with a sauce over greens of some type. The cauliflower soup was great in itself way above average, but made special by a Parmesan crust around the edge of the soup. It was to die far. The main waiter who served our table was knowledgeable, entertaining but not intrusive. With mixed preferences for wine in our group, I especially enjoyed the fact that the wine list included several good half bottle wines at value prices. My son and I had a half bottle of a red burgundy -- I think a 2009 -- for under $50.00. Prices high but conform with the quality of the food and service.Special Features:
- steakloverDined on 10/24/2014Reasonable restaurant in the convention district . overall the food was good. We enjoyed the lamb the best. The decor was nice but overall I think the price was a bit high for the food quality. Still if you are in the convention district this is a nice place to go.I would recommend this to a friend.
- outstanding all aroundjrpearDined on 10/22/2014Great service and the fixed price menu was a treatSpecial Features:
- Delightful EveningecclectictastebudsDined on 10/22/2014Sophisticated dining atmosphere and great attention to detail. The food was elegant and tasteful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Group Dining ExperienceVirginiaBDined on 10/21/2014Our group of 13 were in Washington, DC, for a convention. I found Corduroy on Open Table and was so glad I did. We had a fabulous experience with great food, marvelous personalized service in an enjoyable setting. I received numerous compliments from our group. One word of caution - it's a little hard to find in the dark - but very well worth it!Special Features:
- Chefs Tasting DelightOotfoodieDined on 10/20/2014The waiter was really knowledgable the food was great and the atmosphere was relaxed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/18/2014Food is impeccably sourced and prepared. Chef Power was busy in the kitchen the Saturday night we were there!Special Features:
- NCdinerDined on 10/18/2014We went to Corduroy with friends and left with all of us enjoying the courses we ordered. The beets,carrots and goat cheese salad was a big hit as was the Wagyu beef entree. The following night the four of us went to DBGB and although DBGB received very good ratings recently there was no comparison to Corduroy. Corduroy will remain on our top ten DC restaurants list.Special Features:
- Consummate, classy pros at workOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 10/17/2014From the moment we entered Corduroy to when stepped into a cab which was hailed for us by our waiter, we experienced a flawlessly executed meal and service. This is a singular experience not easily found in most upscale restaurants. The service is gracious and seamless. The scallop and tuna tonnato appetizers were revelations. The tuna and sushi rice entree, nothing short of perfection. Corduroy is a gem and sits with the finest NYC has to offer.Special Features:
- Extraordinary GemMowglivtVIPDined on 10/17/2014Our meal here was memorable in every way. The food excited our palettes from appetizers to dessert. The lobster carpaccio was mouthwateringly tender and exquisite, and the Wagyu beef was the best we have ever had, anywhere, period. The service was like a ballet with everyone working in harmony, which made for a lovely and pampered experience . Would go here again in a heartbeat and just wish we lived in DC so we could frequent it routinely!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/16/2014Went here for the first stop during a bachelorette party. The restaurant was delicious and the food (chefs tasting menu) was exquisite. The restaurant is very quiet and resigned, however, so is only recommend it to those people looking for a quiet/cozy place to eat.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DrjessieVIPDined on 10/15/2014Appetizer and main both very good. I found the service a bit too quick to move us along, and the seating (kind of a hallway) wasn't that great. But I'll definitely go back - with a specific request on the seating.
- Excellent FindRky23VIPDined on 10/13/2014Discovered this place and so glad I did. Service was excellent, food was outstanding. Suggestions from the waiter were superb. I really enjoyed my experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another pleasant experienceLuv2grubDined on 10/11/2014My wife and I celebrated our 12 year wedding anniversary at Corduroy on Saturday. We love the restaurant and have been there on several occasions. The food is great and the service is always impeccable. I recommend this restaurant to any couple or group looking for a quiet night out and a menu full of excellent choices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/10/2014As other reviewers stated, you shouldn't be put off by the location because inside is the coziest and loveliest space filled with wonderful food and outstanding service. Sometimes upscale restaurants see a teenager come in with the parents and they adjust their attitude to condescending but we experienced the opposite here - they couldn't have been more gracious. The food was both beautifully presented and delicious. The lobster carpaccio was truly special; in fact, everything was. Can't wait to return!Special Features:
- Quite GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 10/10/2014Another solid experience. Great space, good service, delicious food and some really good wine choices/prices. While the menu here is indeed seasonal, I wished there were more regular changes in the menu. Still, the last of the heirloom tomoatoes were wonderful and the guinea hen was tremendous.
- PicaDined on 10/9/2014Lovely restaurant with excellent, attentive service. The scallops and wagyu beef were expertly prepared.Special Features: