316 N Milwaukee St
Milwaukee, WI 53202Neighborhood:
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.coquettecafe.com/
- Phone: 4142912655x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 5:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
Sunday:11:00 am - 5:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: French, Contemporary European, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chris Hatleli & Nick Burki
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We are available for all of your catering needs. Give us a call at 414-291-2655 to discuss your upcoming event. You may also email us at Coquette_Cafe@sbcglobal.net
- Special Events: Our Garden Room is perfect for Special Events up to 50 People. We are also able to rent out larger areas of the Dining Room for events. Please call us at 414-291-2655 or email us at Coquette_Cafe@sbcglobal.net
A word from Coquette Cafe
Nestled in the Landmark Building in The Historic Third Ward, Coquette Cafe serves up authentic bistro fare in warm, casual surroundings. Coquette is the kind of place where guests can pop in any time of day for everything from French Onion Soup and Flatbread Pizza to Crisp Provincal Roast Chicken. Whether it's cozying up to the bar for a glass of provincial French wine or exclusively brewed French ale, or having dinner or a small banquet in one of its three bustling dining areas, Chefs and Co- Owners Nick Burki and Chris Hatleli and their wonderful staff are eager to accommodate one's every need. Although brand new in February of 1999, Coquette's informal decor blends well with its vintage surroundings. The dark wood, mirrored back bar and glowing gold walls invite you in to experience top quality and unassuming fare that you might find in the home kitchens of French grandmothers.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Coquette Cafe - Best Restaurants in Milwaukee ›
Coquette Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
95 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (65)special occasion (59)neighborhood gem (55)romantic (51)great for lunch (30)notable wine list (22)good for groups (21)great for brunch (18)late-night find (8)hot spot (7)kid-friendly (2)scenic view (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Wonderful as always!HighStyleonaBudgetDined on 10/18/2014We've been coming to Coquette Cafe for several years and this most recent visit did not disappoint! Such a relaxed atmosphere, great service, excellent food. Can't wait for our next visit! This time we didn't have an entree in favor of an appetizer plus sandwich/flatbread. I highly recommend the Alsatian salmon flatbread and the smoked salmon croissant. Fantastic desserts and perfect espresso too.Special Features:
- First timersRide2fast4meDined on 10/17/2014Always wanted to try this place, and finally did for Sweetest Day. Very authentic French bistro atmosphere, in the heart of the artsy 3D Ward. Good menu with many of the French classics. Service was prompt and attentive, the Kir Royale was a very generous portion, and the dinners were delicious. Good free parking after 5pm behind the restaurant with easy access through the back door. Will definitely go there again.Special Features:
- A Special PlacemykindoftownDined on 10/16/2014I have been coming to Coquette for many years and have never been disappointed. It is always great to walk in and be greeted by the waitstaff that remembers you, and treats you like a long lost friend!Special Features:
- I love this placeLovethecafeDined on 10/15/2014I have never had a bad experience dinning here. The wait staff are polite, enjoy what they do and make diners feel comfortable and never rushed.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/12/2014The staff is amazing. Bill and his servers do a great job and the food is awesome. Thank you for making our night a special one.Special Features:
- Wife's birthday dinnerSooner4040Dined on 10/10/2014We had never been to this restaurant before and even found good parking on a Friday Night (I KNOW, we were shocked too). The service was exceptional, from the hostess to our server. The food was delightful, though I wish I would have ordered the Red Snapper my wife ordered, looked awesome and I had to "sneak" one bite, though my pumpkin ravoli wasn't bad at all. Plus the bonus was watching the dance studio across the street practice (evidently someone is getting married here soon). Would definitely recommend this to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice experienceMaryDined on 10/10/2014Our group of 4 ordered varied items and everyone loved what was served. The server was knowledgeable and friendly but not overpowering. Great place for dinner before theater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/3/2014My dinner was outstanding and only wish we had had more time to linger before theater commitmentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- never disappointedfoodymeDined on 9/30/2014I've been going to Coquette for 15 years now and have never been disappointed. A couple servers I wasn't thrilled with over the years but otherwise everything is delicious, it's the only place I clean my plate.Special Features:
- Creative culinaryeatingoutVIPDined on 9/27/2014Cozy environment with skilled and friendly servers. This eatery has a wide variety of well prepared dishes. Perhaps the most amazing offering is their basic field greens salad with the most amazing house dressing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/27/2014The service and attention were excellent. My wife and I shared a salad which was very good, and my wife gauged her salmon choice as also excellent. However, I've had better hanger steaks before. This time, the red wine shallot sauce overwhelmed my tough steak. My pet peeve though, were the wine glasses. This restaurant uses tiny, diner-type wine glasses filled to the brim where there is no room to smell the bouquet of our good wine selection. To me, this detail takes away from a good dinning experience and it cheapens the place.Special Features:
- Great food, great servicerick1119Dined on 9/20/2014My wife and I had the specials offered that were not on the regular menu. The food was great and so was the service. Order the corn chowder if they offer it again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious & Reasonable French FoodNancettaDined on 9/20/2014LOVE Coquette Café!! Wonderful French food without the attitude! Lovely setting in the unique and beautiful 3rd Ward. A quiet gem of a restaurant with outstanding food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent every timeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/17/2014We Love coming here, the food is excellent, the wine choices are very good, and the ambiance is great! We love sitting at the bar and having dinner as well, great vibe! The meatloaf is amazing, it's hard for me to order anything else, even though there are lots of great choicesSpecial Features:
- Great food.JuliarhDined on 9/12/2014This was my second time at Coquette and it was still a pleasure to eat there. I had the veal meatloaf which was great, and my son had the red snapper which was excellent. We were meeting old friends who did not know the place, and it was the perfect place to bring them to familiarize them with Milwaukee and with Wisconsin. Great food, grat beer and wine, great service!Special Features:
- Outstanding Food and ServiceHUNGRYFORMOREDined on 9/12/2014We went Friday night and enjoyed an amazing soup, great salads and incredible entrees. It was cozy and easy to have a conversation. Our server was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceFredVIPDined on 9/10/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our dinner the other evening. My wife finally tried something other than her favorite hangar steak, and kept raving about the roasted chicken! The evening's special duck breast was perfectly prepared and presented. Our niece loved her French onion soup and the pizza she selected. Thanks for making her birthday celebration special with the decorated dessert plate and candles. She had been looking forward to this dinner all year since it is her mom's favorite place. David is always the perfect server, very knowledgeable of the menu, personable, and accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!RSVMDined on 9/6/2014Got everything except dessert. Cocktails, starter, wine, main course and after dinner drinks were wonderful. It was busy, but my wife and I were surprised it was not busier. One main dish had a slightly overpowering sauce, but still great flavor.Special Features:
- Coquette9231chapmabDined on 9/6/2014I have been to coquette Café many times. Their French onion soup is extremely delicious and their entrées were very good. I had a Coq au vin which was incredible. although you have to be warned that the dishes can be quite rich. Their wine list is extensive and the beers they have are also very good. The dessert was a the icing on the cake and we could not have ended the night any better. I recommend coquette Café to all of my friendsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RichDined on 8/26/2014In general the food was not cooked properly. Sauces were good.
- special datespecialDined on 8/24/2014I received a gift certificate for your place and knew it was an elite restaurant, so I wanted to use it in a special way. I had a pleasant and quiet meal with my daughter. The environment made our Sunday very special.Special Features:
- Adorable French restaurantfoodloverDined on 8/23/2014This is an excellent french restaurant with authentic quality items on the menu. There are several options ranging in price that make it possible to have cheaper meal if necessary. The food tasted great and the service was wonderful. I had a wonderful time and would love to come back.Special Features:
- Paris finds MilwaukeeAmazingDined on 8/22/2014Best place in Milwaukee for Paresian food. Martinis are always perfect and now they are expanding their specials to experience other cultural foods.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quality and creativeMAERVIPDined on 8/22/2014Can rave about this restaurant enough. In the epicenter of Milwaukee activity, the Third Ward, the food was more creative than any I've seen in some time and more importantly, didn't just look good, it tasted good. I was there as part of a art tour group for luncheon, and loved it so much I returned with some group member for dinner. I'm telling all my foodie traveler friends about it.Special Features:
- Great French food.GourmetmomVIPDined on 8/20/2014Have yet to be disappointed at this lovely French cafe. The food is always outstanding and the service wonderful. Just wished I lived closer so I could dine there more often!Special Features:
- Special Meal at a Special ResturantUrbanGardenerDined on 8/19/2014Our party, celebrating a birthday, was served by an exceptionally attentive waitress. She interacted with us, but also maintained a great level of service throughout the meal. The birthday boy ordered salmon, even though he's not a big fan of salmon. He said it was the best salmon he's ever had. I ordered the cheese and caramelized onion ravioli. Although the flavors were really good, it wasn't as attractively presented as the other entrees at the table. The other entrees included a chicken sandwich and two other salmon entrees. Everyone enjoyed the food, the Sidecars and the rose wine selection. It's nice that this restaurant has affordable sandwich and entree salad options and a prix fixe menu option, in addition to the entree selections.Special Features:
- Nice Cafelove3rdwardDined on 8/18/2014I wasn't sure what to expect, but the meal was pricey. I had the con a vic and the chicken was tender and moist and the meal as a whole was good. For the price I would have thought it would have been a better presentation or more flavorful. I was there during the week and it was quiet and low key which was nice. The menu over all was ok, but perhaps I was expect more edgy French diners. The server was pleasant and very attentive to our needs.Special Features:
- Excellent mealEaterDined on 8/15/2014Coquette Cafe offers excellent food at reasonable prices, and has a very nice wine list. Both of our meals were very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Nice EveningI43pairDined on 8/14/2014A first visit for my wife and me, and it was a great experience; wonderful ambience, very attentive service, excellent food, relaxing/casual/non-rushed atmosphere, good background music. We can't wait to go back, even though it's a 45 minute trip into the city, to do so.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great luncheonAlbertoDined on 8/11/2014The food excellent, the service attentive, the restaurant atmosphere appropriate for conversation. Coquette is a winnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful charming experienceEnjoydiningDined on 8/8/2014We had lunch here and were treated very well. Our waitress was very attentive. Our meal was wonderful and dessert was delish!9Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful, as usual!Andi7314Dined on 8/5/2014I love going for their French onion soup and following up with the crembrule or dessert. In my experience, Coquette's version of these two items is the best in town! The service was great; our waitress was a gem and was on top of any of our dining needs. She made wonderful menu recommendations as well. We will be dining in again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hitting on all cylinders!jcgsbgVIPDined on 8/1/2014My wife & I have been Coquette regulars for years, going back to probably 5 years before the sale. So, obviously, we like the food & atmosphere. But I must note, over the last few months, the restaurant is knocking it out of the park every visit. This is the best I've know CC to be in all the years we've been going there. Each & every dish is expertly prepared, perfectly spiced, and gorgeously plated. The specials, particularly the seafood entrees, have just been magnificent. I heard somewhere that you have a new sous-chef, so that's probably part of the story, but it seems to us that from the owners down to the dishwashers, everyone at CC is at the absolute top of his/her game. Bravo!Special Features:
- Outstanding as alwaysDDthextonDined on 7/31/2014Coquette is a favorite place to take serious food lovers. In addition great classic French dishes, they also have seasonal specials that are wonderful. It's impossible to have anything other than delicious at Coquette!Special Features:
- ExceptionalMKYOUDined on 7/18/2014The food, ambience and service (Richard was our waiter) were all outstanding. The wine list had a number of good American and French options for a reasonable price. We’re new to Milwaukee and we’ve found our French Bistro!Special Features:
- Personal favorite.ChoosyNotSnobbyDined on 7/10/2014Coquette always satisfies. The food is consistently lovely, the menu reflects a chef who values fresh, local ingredients and strikes a balance between tradition and modernity. With the kind of seamless professional service that keeps your needs met without being intrusive or hurried, it has become my favorite spot for everything from business lunches to group celebrations and romantic meals for two. Don't hesitate to enjoy a meal at Coquette, you will NOT be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Wonderful SurpriseAndylitDined on 7/7/2014I am not often impressed by European theme restaurants. The Coquette Cafe was a welcome surprise. The ambiance is understated yet elegant. Service is exceptional. Of course, none of this matters if the food does not meet the standard. Our meals were exceptional. The onion soup is, surprise, honest traditional onion soup. The correct cheese and plenty of it. The main course were excellent. Salmon was perfection, and the pork loin was exceptional. The dessert were also worth the effort. I am pedestrian and limited my self to the chocolate mousse. It was very good. She had a daily special tart cherry pastry creme brulee thingee that had her oohing and ahhing. WE SHALL RETURN!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/5/2014We had the three-course Summerfest special. The food was good, but very heavy. We would never order as much as we were served
- average restaurant, good service,jpjjcmDined on 7/5/2014The service was great, but the food was average. The chicken my wife ordered was bland and dry. Her garlic potatoes were also bland. Her sorbet dessert was not good. The baby back ribs I ordered were excellent. The potatoes I had were not cooked long enough. We had high expectations of the Coquette French Café and they were not met.Special Features:
- The following 1111 reviews are from the Coquette Cafe reviews archive.
- Excellent Experience!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/22/2014We celebrated a friends' birthday at Cafe Croquette on a Sunday morning. The food, service and overall experience were excellent! I highly recommend it for a special occasion and/or just a special dining time out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.