Pier 5, The Embarcadero
San Francisco, CA 94105Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
SpanishPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.coquetasf.com/
- Phone: (415) 704-8866
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily, 11:30AM – 3PM
Dinner: Sun-Wed, 5PM – 10PM; Thu-Sat, 5PM – 11PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Michael Chiarello
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Bring Coqueta to your next celebration. Chef Michael Chiarello"s team will bring you the flavors and conviviality of Spain right to your home or social gathering. For more information please contact General Manager, Michael Iglesias.
A word from Coqueta
Brought to you by Award Winning Chef Michael Chiarello and located at Pier 5 on the the bustling San Francisco Waterfront, Coqueta is inspired by the cuisines of Spain. Chef Chiarello feels that Spain"s signature ‘small plates’ coupled with the social vibrancy of their dining scene is the perfect combination for San Francisco, which has its own deep-rooted history with the country. Focusing on regional dishes from Madrid, Catalonia, the Basque Country and beyond, the menu will feature Chiarello's interpretation of traditional Spanish cuisine and, as has always been his tradition, will highlight the bounty of fresh, local ingredients from land and sea.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
Coqueta reviews from OpenTable diners
269 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (228)hot spot (153)scenic view (123)special occasion (105)great for lunch (96)vibrant bar scene (95)good for groups (76)romantic (57)neighborhood gem (53)notable wine list (48)great for outdoor dining (29)late-night find (22)great for brunch (20)kid-friendly (7)Show More
- LunchJeffVIPDined on 11/26/2014The food and service were very good, however, I think the menu was over priced, particularly for the larger servings. Other than that the place was inviting with very tasty food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My group had a great time here at CoquetaMikeDined on 11/19/2014We had a lot of fun here at Coqueta, and the food was fantastic. Two from my group were fans of Gin, and some special martinis were made for them. They were very happy. Will be back soon, Best,Special Features:
- Great food great service I'll be backcoffeeboyDined on 11/18/2014After growing up in Spain it was a real pleasure to revisit it's exciting food. From the tapas to the pork to the bronzino to the Flan everything was specialSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A perfect place for lunch!bettymDined on 11/18/2014My husband and I had a wonderful shared plates lunch! Our server suggested 4 plates between us. We started with almonds and olives and very creative drinks. Then followed huevos nationales, a great elevation of a deviled egg, croquets de pollo and the most delicious and beautifully plated patatas bravas. We saved room for a perfectly creamy flan and coffee. Not only was the food excellent, the service was flawless and the restaurant is beautiful! Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The Secret To FunlouiseknowsVIPDined on 11/17/2014Went resigned to be underwhelmed and left happy and satisfied. Mind you, one has to order several tapas to fill one's tummy, and they do come at a pricy note. Everything was presented in creative ways and the flavors on all dishes were distinct and exciting. One can tell a lot of time was spent on each small creation. I have had hundreds of croquetas in my life time, from Cuba to Miami to Spain, the one's at Coqueta are the best chicken croquets ever! meltingly rich Bechamel and chicken inside, and light and crisky crackling outside. The Best! I don't have a sweet tooth, but my husband ordered the Churros and they were not only tasty, but beautifully plated. It was a night of fireworks for the tastebuds.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food .. great cocktails - great for groupsLaurieloooVIPDined on 11/15/2014But they can't accommodate over 12 people. Food was great (Pluma was a little under done and not really seasoned) but all the rest was amazing. We visit at least 4-5 a year and adore this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- susiekVIPDined on 11/12/2014This was my second time at the restaurant and the food was stellar. My favorites were the croquetas (the chicharon crust was outstanding), the meatballs, and the paella, but all of the dishes were excellent. The food is somehow both simple and complex, and always a joy to eat. The churros are the perfect ending to the meal: light, not too sweet, and easy to share. My one complaint about the evening was that we were seated as a group of three at a table that cannot easily accommodate three people sharing many plates. It made for a frantic experience of trying to serve and eat multiple dishes at once in order to make room for other dishes that were coming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 25th Anniversary Lunch - PRICELESSDSC57VIPDined on 11/12/2014We tried to get dinner reservations at the last minute and couldn't ( no surprise). Next day we were exploring the Embarcadero and passed by Coqueta. Booked a lunch reservation and shortly were seated in the bar area. Glass walls with a view of the harbor and the Embarcadero. Christin was an incredible waitress, big smile and great suggestions. Before we could order our first dish she arrived at the table with two glasses of Cava to help celebrate our 25th. Thank you. Things only went from great to fantastic. Every dish was perfectly crafted, cooked and presented. Patatas Brava were unique as they were white and purple whole creamers. Chicken croquettes with chicharones on the outside great. Black prawns super. A great take on huevos rancheros with ground chorizo. We stuck with tapas for this meal but the wood fired grill looked like it was churning out beautifully done pulpo and steaks and fish. This is a must go to for the food and the incredible service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A big hit on the waterfrontPHcoupleVIPDined on 11/11/2014Just enjoyed our 2nd fantastic lunch here. Every one of the small plates we shared was outstanding in its own way. And our server could not have been nicer or more knowledgable. Going here again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous BrunchJeffMVIPDined on 11/8/2014The wide variety of offereings of Tapas made this a very special weekend brunch. Tasha, the manager and our server were wonderful.Special Features:
- Rude reservationist/hostestOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014did not go, because hostest had a bad attitude on the phone, instead went to la mar...
- TravelerDined on 11/7/2014Not as good as anticipated , larger font on Menu would be helpful
- Loved the foodyummyDined on 11/6/2014The restaurant is wonderfully decorated and has a vibrant feel. Our server was great at explaning everthing! Would definatly go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always outstandinggrannygooseVIPDined on 11/4/2014Once again, the food and the service were outstanding!Special Features:
- excellent food n ambiance.llabradaDined on 11/2/2014Had a great time, place was packed, reservations highly recommended. Prices were on the high side but worthy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Met our high expectations!OpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 11/2/2014Excellent food--everything we had was cooked very well: shrimp, octopus, mussels, salmon. the service was fantastic as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fortcollinsDined on 11/1/2014Wonderful experience on first visit. Scrumptious tapas selections; server offered to increase the count from three to four so that my friend and I could have equal shares. Fun cocktail choices too. Fabulous location right on the water; interesting interior décor. Looked like reservations would be highly advisable at any time of day!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overpriced!rogercadoretDined on 10/31/2014Tappas were very expensive for the quantity Paella was burned Event the sangria was bland. The location is great (on embarcadero Pier 5) with a nice view when you are in the bar, but is it. Overall: disappointing 180$ dinner for two....
- Wonderful being able to shareAnitaMWVIPDined on 10/31/2014We enjoyed this visit even more than our last one because we were a party of 4 this time. That allowed us to order more things and share them. We concentrated on the hot tapas, and ordered nearly all of them. Our favorites were the chicken croquettes, the 3 shrimp plates, and the octopus. We added one open faced sandwich (the salmon this time) and one salad (the watermelon), and a few small desserts. We had a nice light red wine (a good recommendation from our server, who was great). It was a great combination of food, and we left happy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good food young crowdgroupoutingVIPDined on 10/29/2014where SV folks go to eat and be seen - makes it hard to actually eat sometimes, everyone so busy being seen. still fun. drinks come with 'air' on top, a silly sort of foam idea, but still taste okay. great wine list. place looks great, but staff all seem tired and worn down by all the catering to the techies out on corporate accounts....Special Features:
- MardDined on 10/29/2014The small plates and the atmosphere are great and the location can't be beat.Special Features:
- The best tapas you've ever tastedpeninsulafoodiemomDined on 10/29/2014There are a lot of places to get tapas. None of them are this good. The quality of the ingredients, the careful, creative pairings of those ingredients, and a careful balance of flavors make these tapas stand out. Also, the most amazing G&Ts ever. The service is attentive and friendly. I've had two great lunches here with friends and can't wait to come back with my husband. It's more pricey than most tapas restaurants, but it is worth it -- Coqueta elevates tapas from bar food to fine-dining status.Special Features:
- Amazing!!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 10/28/2014Absolutely outstanding. Great Tapas, great everything.Special Features:
- Tapas at their best!JulieBrown0428Dined on 10/27/2014I'm not a huge fan of trying new foods and tend to eat the same things over and over again, so tapas are always a great way for me to break out of my shell. The tapas here are among the best I have ever had! The food was amazing and in combinations that sound like they should not work but when you put them all together they do! Definitely worth checking out!Special Features:
- Coqueta is overpriced, not good!donaquijoteDined on 10/26/2014Coqueta is over-hyped,over-priced and only moderately good! We had to purchase a bottle of soda to add to the sangria as it was utterly lacking in flavor& sweetness as good sangria should be. We asked for bread and it never came! This is my third time as I took my daughter, who grew up in Spain, and I certainly will not return! If you are looking for a very faint idea of what a good Spanish restaurant might be like, try Coqueta. Otherwise, go somewhere else! $150 plus for mediocre food...just small plates of really not very much... and wine that we had to doctor up ourselves. Do this again? Never!
- ChasVIPDined on 10/25/2014We had high hopes for Coqueta when we finally were able to get a reservation. It was very difficult to get a reservation. While the food was good it was below expectations and on the expensive side. We will not go back as there are other Spanish restaurants that we feel are better (e.g., Zarzuela)Special Features:
- Very tasty tid-bits!jubiladaDined on 10/24/2014A group of six of us tried out this place ... and we all agreed that the food was excellent. We shared one main dish (pork), and six tapas (at the suggestion of our waiter). The portions were very small! So delicious but very tiny! I could have eaten six of the tapas by myself, and not been filled ... and I'm not a big eater! And, bread has to be ordered ... it's not automatically served. Some of those tapas had delicious sauce, which needed to be sopped up! We did order bread, but it took forever for it to get to the table ... and the serving people kept trying to whisk away those plates with the lingering bits of luscious sauce just waiting to be sopped up with that bread! Considering how much you have to order, it's a bit pricey!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food amazing,drink service terribleMissy7700Dined on 10/20/2014The atmosphere and food was amazing but the drinks took too long to come out. We had to ask five times for our drinks; we had three courses before it finally came out. It was only a beer so they only had to get it out of the fridge! My husbands coffee came out with the desserts but I had to query where my tea was even after we had finished the desserts. Having to wait up to 20 minutes for a drink tarnishes the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVE the foodMissingChicagoVIPDined on 10/19/2014We finally got reservations!!! It was worth it. The tapas is wonderful, can't wait to go back. Next time for dinner. We went on the weekend for lunch, and it looked like they had a wait list for those without reservations, so if you don't have set plans, that may be a good time to go. The dishes were beautifully presented and flavorful. Definitely order the Paella.Special Features:
- By far our favorite tapas!BistroDined on 10/18/2014It's a food destination for us every time we are in San FranciscoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Saturday afternnoonPamBDined on 10/18/2014I was visiting my daughter in SF and she recommeneded we visit Coqueta. It did not disapoint. Out server was outstanding, quiding us through the menu and confirming our choices. She as able to also recommned a wine selection that perfectly augmented our liesurely afternoon spent eatoing through the menu. Though the expresso was a bit bitter, the afternoon was just fine. A memorable time was had and enjoyed.Special Features:
- Great way celebrate our anniversaryAustinHVDined on 10/17/2014We had a wonderful experience at Coqueta last weekend! We mentioned on open table that it was our one year anniversary and our server bent over backwards to make the night special. Truly wonderful service. One of the great things about tapas is that you get to sample many different items on the menu. We truly liked everything we tried, but the sausages and meatballs were the standouts. Thank you for a wonderful experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- coqueta nonebetaSavacucinaDined on 10/16/2014Simply one of the best and most unique spots in sfSpecial Features:
- Very GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/12/2014We had reservations for lunch on a Sunday so it was a very pleasant experience. Great food, good specialty cocktails, and a pleasant atmosphere. The menus had many different tapa choices and the ones we had were very tasty. The paella was especially goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fdrevDined on 10/11/2014First time. Took my sister and husband for birthday. Food was great - had the paella with an assortment of hot and cold tapas. Will return to try different tapas and the 32oz steak.Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 10/11/2014Don't miss it. One of our best meals. Have suggested Coqueta to several friends/family visiting San Fran.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousluncherVIPDined on 10/11/2014Great ambiance-interesting and unusual food-beautiful presentations-super service!Special Features:
- Top tapasBistroDined on 10/10/2014Coqueta is always on our list when we land in SFO. We look forward to lunch there to start our vacation off right! Delicious, unique and so fresh!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- expensive for lunchRobinWVIPDined on 10/7/2014I think the menu is the same at lunch as dinner. I'd been for dinner a few times -- this is some of the best food in SF, in my opinion -- and this was my first time at lunch. Very pricey for a lunch. I wasn't paying, but must have been $50/person without alcohol. But delicious as always.Special Features:
- Food was great, not the serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/3/2014The food was really outstanding - we enjoyed the pintxos and several of the hot and cold tapas. Our server was aloof and would disappear for large moments of time. Getting our first glass of wine took over 25 minutes, and getting the check was about 30 minutes. I had put in the reservation that it was my husband's birthday (also mentioned it when they called to confirm the reservation), and it was never mentioned by our waiter. Too bad the service wasn't as great as the food - I really wanted this to be a restaurant in our regular rotation.Special Features: