Pier 5, The Embarcadero
San Francisco, CA 94105Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
SpanishPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.coquetasf.com/
- Phone: 4157048866
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily, 11:30AM – 3PM
Dinner: Sun-Wed, 5PM – 10PM; Thu-Sat, 5PM – 11PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Michael Chiarello
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Bring Coqueta to your next celebration. Chef Michael Chiarello"s team will bring you the flavors and conviviality of Spain right to your home or social gathering. For more information please contact General Manager, Michael Iglesias.
A word from Coqueta
Brought to you by Award Winning Chef Michael Chiarello and located at Pier 5 on the the bustling San Francisco Waterfront, Coqueta is inspired by the cuisines of Spain. Chef Chiarello feels that Spain"s signature ‘small plates’ coupled with the social vibrancy of their dining scene is the perfect combination for San Francisco, which has its own deep-rooted history with the country. Focusing on regional dishes from Madrid, Catalonia, the Basque Country and beyond, the menu will feature Chiarello's interpretation of traditional Spanish cuisine and, as has always been his tradition, will highlight the bounty of fresh, local ingredients from land and sea.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Coqueta reviews from OpenTable diners
299 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (223)scenic view (141)hot spot (128)special occasion (118)great for lunch (111)vibrant bar scene (92)good for groups (72)romantic (68)notable wine list (61)neighborhood gem (60)great for outdoor dining (40)great for brunch (32)late-night find (17)kid-friendly (9)Show More
- Not Spanish foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014I am a Spanish native and the food in coqueta is not Spanish. Moreover, the prices are very expensive. Good ingredient quality. Awful paellaSpecial Features:
- Great eveningLittleAcornDined on 9/10/2014We were pleased to be able to book at this restaurant and we had a great time. The food and service was superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful tapas & the best sangriacwpnewpaltzDined on 9/10/2014Great meal. Some of the items we had were repeats of our prior visit several months earlier, some were new things we tried. All were delicious. This is a great place for a delicious Spanish meal.Special Features:
- Currently my favoriteNinerGirlVIPDined on 9/9/2014This is truly a winner. Food, atmosphere and service have been top notch. I've been for lunch and dinner and several times and each time has been excellent. I will absolutely go as often as I get a chance, my standards for Michael Chiarello are set very high now! I hope the restaurant continues on this path.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An absolute gemDavidandPatDined on 9/8/2014Coqueta is perhaps my favorite restaurant in San Francisco, and that obviously says a lot. From the moment you walk in the door, you can tell you are going to have a special evening. The decor and ambiance merely serve to heighten your expectation for the food, and the food doesn't disappoint. Every single thing that I've had at Coqueta is a 10. My only disappointment was that I had notified the restaurant that it was my fiance's special birthday and they said they'd take care of it but that never happened. Oh well, the rest of the experience was terrific.Special Features:
- Run Don't WalkAFungVIPDined on 9/8/2014One word - Delicious. Two words - Barca Gintonic. Its a small tapas type of place so go with friends so you can try EVERYTHING. Great dining experience.Special Features:
- Always a gem.madrilenaDined on 9/5/2014If you have spent any time in Spain, then you appriciate Coqueta. Their food is what you might find in Madrid and Barcelona at some of their top restaurants. Some well done classics, but the focus is on creating new dishes, and these never disappoint. Tapas are small jolts of flavor. The dishes will not fill you up, but they will put a big smile on your face. That's the point. Don't be afraid to order extra dishes. Their paella is probably the best you will find in the Bay area. Maybe anywhere outside of Spain. The wait staff and every other member of the front of house are energetic, friendly, knowledgeable about the food ingredients, and somehow right there when you need something.Special Features:
- Great for Tapas & Drinks!eliza3939Dined on 9/5/2014Loved this tiny place at Embarcadero 5! The tapas menu is extensive and everything we tried was delicious. The gin/tonic was not only beautiful but was probably the best one I've had in years. Highly recommend for a group so you can taste more items. Want to return for dinner when we return in a couple of months.Special Features:
- Take a walk to SpainOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/4/2014If you're walking along the Embarcadero, but feel like taking a short trip to Spain for some tapas, you can't go wrong with the plates at Coqueta. The service was impeccable, with no stall whatsoever as we moved from plate to plate and they have the best patatas bravas I've ever tried (seriously, you'll growl at the servers if they try to take away the spicy, smoky sauce too early).Special Features:
- Great tapas and cocktailsOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/2/2014Food was perfectly delicious. Service was uneven and awkward. It was not busy when we dined, but we assumed since they are always so slammin' busy that leisurely dining, which requires a change of pace for the server, was not well executed. We have dined there before and will go back because of the food and we live in the neighborhood.Special Features:
- Something differentFoodie4VIPDined on 8/31/2014We loved all the tapas and pintxos but found them a little overpriced. The two gin-tonics we tried were terrific! The dining room had wonderfully high ceilings but too bad it didn't have much of a view of the bay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific TapasSandrababy67Dined on 8/29/2014Tried six items for two of us - one repeat. Everything we ate was delicious.Special Features:
- Excellent food, excellent service!LuvtodineDined on 8/28/2014Our server made our first experience with Coqueta very enjoyable. We were unsure what to order and how many plates would be sufficient for two diners. We settled on her recommendations and we were not disappointed. But looking at our neighbor diners orders I doubt you would be disappointed with any tapa plate on the menu. Noise level was quite good. I actually like to converse with the person I'm dining with without shouting or repeating myself. I would recommend this restaurant and I can't wait for the next opportunity to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Equisite Food but Hard to Hear :(ImpressedVIPDined on 8/26/2014I would definitely recommend trying Coqueta if you haven't yet been. The Pier 5 location is easy to access, with public parking at Broadway and Embarcadero. Lunch was a treat - flavorful and beautifully presented. We really liked: the deviled eggs with Pimento - they were an exquisite blend of flavors and way more interesting than I could ever describe. The cooked vegetables with raisins and pine nuts, and grilled octopus and fingerling potatoes were also delightful. The atmosphere is rustic and open and interesting... but it's really a shame that as a consequence it's hard to hear. I can see that it would work as a hot spot for after work, but if they reconfigured the interior to allow for intimate conversation... WOW.Special Features:
- Fantastic food and serviceVijayDined on 8/23/2014One of the best meals we've had in a long time - every little dish was made with care and attention to detail. The best tapas in SF!Special Features:
- Best gin and tonicsG8TqueenDined on 8/19/2014These were the best gin and tonics I have ever had, went to well with the food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Word of MouthEugeneDined on 8/19/2014Recommended by a food critic from Texas. Wine menu is not as large as you would expect and fairly limited on wines outside of Spain. He recommended a very good wine and his favorite dishes. They were all amazing including the smoked salmon and the duck. I have a shellfish allergy but folks in my party said the prawns were delicious. I will definitely be back and will be bragging to anyone going to SF.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food and great servicesusiekVIPDined on 8/18/2014Everything we had at Coqueta lived up to the expectations! The small bites were fun and gave a great sample of the food. The meatballs, gambas, and croquetas were all outstanding--I could have eaten double of each of them. The pan con tomate with jamon was also really good. I loved how each of the dishes were light but packed with flavor, making it possible for us to try a number of dishes. We also had the paella, which was an excellent rendition. My favorite part was the grilled asparagus and brocolini. We ended on the perfect sweet note of the churros.Special Features:
- Small bites of heavenLcp705Dined on 8/18/2014Terrific original tapas. Super yummy. But only 1 Chardonnay by the glass in SF is pretty poor offering. Also, service is not up to caliber of food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great-god pricesJayBeeKDined on 8/17/2014This is not line one of the over-priced restaurants overlooking San Francisco Bay that cater to tourists. It is over-priced, but the food was both unique and divine. The bar has filtered views of the bay, the restaurant has limited views, but the look and feel of the place makes you feel you are having a very special night out.Special Features:
- Great Service!CoiquetaDined on 8/16/2014The 2 of us had an enjoyable Lunch on Saturday. I will return for dinner sometime This was mym first visit. LovelySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FairlyReasonableVIPDined on 8/13/2014I had heard from a few people that the food was wonderful but we were very dissappointed. The quail egg hors d'oevre was dull. No flavor at all. The egg and chorizo dish was so salty we didn't eat it. The paella tasted like a rice casserole from a previous era. No taste of saffron. Our server was excellent and I will return for the incredible grapefruit gin and tonic.
- Outstanding foodMadeleinetpVIPDined on 8/13/2014This is a very special place with terrific food. Very tasty and original Spanish tapas. Too bad that this time the service was truly subpar for such an outstanding restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, service okDelishVIPDined on 8/13/2014So happy to have another foodie lunch spot to take my clients on the Embarcadero! Love the ambiance, industrial design of this place, & the cocktails and food are delicious!!! The wait staff unfortunately is not very attentive and a bit forgetful (except the bartender who was super nice, helpful) Hate to keep craning my neck, looking for someone when I need something... and for the prices, that definitely needs to improve. Also, when they give you a call to remind you of your ressie the previous day, it's an unknown #, so no way to return the call (??) and their main line throws you to their sister restaurant's voice mail. Ugh- Annoying. Overall, great place- just some minor glitches to fix. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pleasant experience!FeanorDined on 8/13/2014Excellent food with perfect portions and delightful presentation. The ambience is relaxing and inviting , and though a small space, it feels more intimate than cramped. I don't know about the rest of the cocktail menu, but I'm assuming it's spectacular as I had what was clearly the best Manhattan I've had in my entire life! I wanted to also mention that the wait staff were amazing! Taking time to very thoroughly answer all our questions about the menu without feeling like it was an imposition, They were friendly, efficient and extremely gracious. All in all a very pleasing balance of all the things you look for in a great dining experience . Thoroughly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/10/2014Cocktails and wine were excellent. The duck and pork albondigas with tart cherry ketchup and crispy shallots might be the best small plate I've ever had. Our server was extremely helpful and able to make helpful recommendations. Save room for dessert.Special Features:
- Worst Service in San FranciscoLucyDined on 8/9/2014Arrived at 1:10 for a 1:15 reservation. Checked in. 20 mins later, we were still not seated. Sat waiting in the bar area for our non-existent table, waiting for drinks that never showed up. Waitstaff opened door to outside seating area and left it open creating a nice, freezing cold wind tunnel throughout the area where we were sitting (and yes, I had a jacket on - I live in SF and know how cold it can be in the summer). We finally just left. Living in San Francisco, we dine out a lot all over the City, and have never had an experience like this. We will never go back, and will never recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Fine food, noise to the hiltlsm50Dined on 8/8/2014This was a delicious lunch, from the skewers to the larger dishes, everything was interesting and beautiful. But the noise was intolerable. I don't think I will go again unless it is at an "off" hour.Special Features:
- Not too impressedSonyDined on 8/8/2014As a Michael chiarello fan I was expecting more. Most of the menu items were just okay. Ends up being real pricy if just doing tapas, depending on what you order. The smoked salmon was amazing. Rest of the tapas didn't strike me as anything extraordinary. Cool vibes and a fun experience for a fan.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/6/2014Great vibe and delicious food in a beautiful dining room on the water. The host, Antonio, was a gem who recommended dishes for us to order. Definitely will be back with a large group so we can try everything on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pongee13VIPDined on 8/4/2014Food was good but not as good as Bottega in Yountville (same owner). I would've preferred more meatless options.Special Features:
- Great food.NTinSFVIPDined on 8/3/2014Our group of 4 ordered a variety of tapas - mambas, pulp, croquetas, and and cheese plate were all really nice. The paella was good. The only thing that wasn't successful was the cocktail I had before dinner. Not sure there was actually any gin in it, which at $12 was disappointing. The space is lovely. Like all restaurants in SF these days, it is difficult to carry on a normal conversation because the entire place is hard surfaces - energetic doesn't describe it - it's just noisy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Experience as good as the foodLindakVIPDined on 8/3/2014This is my new favorite restaurant in San Francisco! The food is so different and so amazingly good that I wanted to taste every single thing on the menu. The way the food is served - all small plates - is almost as fun as tasting it. Such unique and different preparations. Our favorite was the shrimp and egg dish...could have had 2 plates it was so good. The waiters walk around with these trays of very small skewers that you select from - sort of a chef's offering - and it's not only fun but gives you an opportunity to try small bites of some unusual pairings. We couldn't get in for dinner so had lunch and it may have been better since we got very attentive service. Oh...try the sangria; you won't be disappointed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love CocquetaOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/2/2014I have been to Cocqueta three times now and every time I love it. Go-to dishes include the shrimp with black garlic, octopus, pork and duck meatballs, platter of cheeses and meats and many more! The service is always very good but not over bearing and its a friendly, fun atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experience...VinehouseDined on 7/27/2014On a beautiful day in San Francisco, we experienced excellent food, above and beyond service and beautiful surroundings! We will come back again and again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- grettaDined on 7/26/2014We had a lovely time. We were seated at our reservation time. Loved the types of gin & tonics. Interesting drink selections that went well with the food. My first-time guests from out of town loved it as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bigdVIPDined on 7/26/2014The tapas style food was great so we were able to try several different items but the desserts were very disappointing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous!MarenDined on 7/25/2014Our lunch lived up to all the hype! We sat at the chef's counter which provided a great view of the kitchen. Food was creative and delicious, and our waiter was efficient, personable and well-informed about the food.Special Features:
- Good but not greatLoveMyFoodDined on 7/24/2014I expected more attention to detail. Complaints: salad dressing was way too vinegary, limited options if you don't eat pork Highlights: little brioche eggplant and cheese sandwich was delicious, octopus was cooked wellSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A taste of SpainOpenTable Diner Since 2000Dined on 7/21/2014Having lived in Spain, we find this a delicious trip back the many magnificent towns and cities we lived,visited, are & drank our way through!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.