Pier 5, The Embarcadero
San Francisco, CA 94105Neighborhood:
Financial District / Embarcadero
SpanishPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.coquetasf.com/
- Phone: 4157048866
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily, 11:30AM – 3PM
Dinner: Sun-Wed, 5PM – 10PM; Thu-Sat, 5PM – 11PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Spanish, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Michael Chiarello
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Bring Coqueta to your next celebration. Chef Michael Chiarello"s team will bring you the flavors and conviviality of Spain right to your home or social gathering. For more information please contact General Manager, Michael Iglesias.
A word from Coqueta
Brought to you by Award Winning Chef Michael Chiarello and located at Pier 5 on the the bustling San Francisco Waterfront, Coqueta is inspired by the cuisines of Spain. Chef Chiarello feels that Spain"s signature ‘small plates’ coupled with the social vibrancy of their dining scene is the perfect combination for San Francisco, which has its own deep-rooted history with the country. Focusing on regional dishes from Madrid, Catalonia, the Basque Country and beyond, the menu will feature Chiarello's interpretation of traditional Spanish cuisine and, as has always been his tradition, will highlight the bounty of fresh, local ingredients from land and sea.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Coqueta reviews from OpenTable diners
280 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (220)hot spot (147)scenic view (128)special occasion (108)great for lunch (104)vibrant bar scene (91)good for groups (75)romantic (64)notable wine list (54)neighborhood gem (50)great for outdoor dining (30)great for brunch (26)late-night find (21)kid-friendly (8)Show More
- LOVE the foodMissingChicagoVIPDined on 10/19/2014We finally got reservations!!! It was worth it. The tapas is wonderful, can't wait to go back. Next time for dinner. We went on the weekend for lunch, and it looked like they had a wait list for those without reservations, so if you don't have set plans, that may be a good time to go. The dishes were beautifully presented and flavorful. Definitely order the Paella.Special Features:
- By far our favorite tapas!BistroDined on 10/18/2014It's a food destination for us every time we are in San FranciscoSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Saturday afternnoonPamBDined on 10/18/2014I was visiting my daughter in SF and she recommeneded we visit Coqueta. It did not disapoint. Out server was outstanding, quiding us through the menu and confirming our choices. She as able to also recommned a wine selection that perfectly augmented our liesurely afternoon spent eatoing through the menu. Though the expresso was a bit bitter, the afternoon was just fine. A memorable time was had and enjoyed.Special Features:
- coqueta nonebetaSavacucinaDined on 10/16/2014Simply one of the best and most unique spots in sfSpecial Features:
- Very GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/12/2014We had reservations for lunch on a Sunday so it was a very pleasant experience. Great food, good specialty cocktails, and a pleasant atmosphere. The menus had many different tapa choices and the ones we had were very tasty. The paella was especially goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fdrevDined on 10/11/2014First time. Took my sister and husband for birthday. Food was great - had the paella with an assortment of hot and cold tapas. Will return to try different tapas and the 32oz steak.Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 10/11/2014Don't miss it. One of our best meals. Have suggested Coqueta to several friends/family visiting San Fran.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousluncherVIPDined on 10/11/2014Great ambiance-interesting and unusual food-beautiful presentations-super service!Special Features:
- Top tapasBistroDined on 10/10/2014Coqueta is always on our list when we land in SFO. We look forward to lunch there to start our vacation off right! Delicious, unique and so fresh!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- expensive for lunchRobinWVIPDined on 10/7/2014I think the menu is the same at lunch as dinner. I'd been for dinner a few times -- this is some of the best food in SF, in my opinion -- and this was my first time at lunch. Very pricey for a lunch. I wasn't paying, but must have been $50/person without alcohol. But delicious as always.Special Features:
- Food was great, not the serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 10/3/2014The food was really outstanding - we enjoyed the pintxos and several of the hot and cold tapas. Our server was aloof and would disappear for large moments of time. Getting our first glass of wine took over 25 minutes, and getting the check was about 30 minutes. I had put in the reservation that it was my husband's birthday (also mentioned it when they called to confirm the reservation), and it was never mentioned by our waiter. Too bad the service wasn't as great as the food - I really wanted this to be a restaurant in our regular rotation.Special Features:
- Great food at CoquetasurfunVIPDined on 10/1/2014This was my second visit to Coqueta and I'm happy to report that the food was delicious as my first visit. Docking one star however as our service was a bit spotty and our server would vanish for long periods, so awkwardly that other servers would pitch in to bring a drink, or ask how we were doing. Frankly, that is an unacceptable level of service for a venue like this and fr the prices charged. Perhaps this was just a one off, or a waitress that needs to trained up a bit more. The food however remains outstanding. Do not miss the Croquettas, grilled octopus and albondigas. Only one dish of the very many that we tried left us flat, and that was the cauliflower steak. This was served to us barely cooked, and was very hard to cut.Special Features:
- Amazing view! Good food!IndoChineseFoodieVIPDined on 9/29/2014A great spot...good food and wine!!! Restaurant did everything to please us. Would surely go back...specially to the bar!Special Features:
- Great experienceLoveFoodDined on 9/28/2014Staff were very attentive and helpful. Food was superb. Pizza friarielti is a must have. Squid ink tonnaretti pasta was so good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed our tapasAnitaMWDined on 9/24/2014We enjoyed our meal at Coqueta. We had reservations and were seated on time. The server was helpful and friendly and gave us some good recommendations. We stuck with the tapas and small plates, and we look forward to returning with more people so we can try more of the menu. Our only disappointment were the cocktails - they weren't quite perfect, but were fine. We look forward to our next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative menuHollywoodDined on 9/21/2014Excellent tapas with a twist. The portions were just right to enable sharing. The wine list was well curated, and the bottle of wine recommended complemented the food perfectly. Great vibe, great food, great service.Special Features:
- i keep going backScorpio9Dined on 9/21/2014coqueta does not disappoint. The food is consistently great, exciting, well prepared. The ambience is always happy and a good, positive buzz. Always an enjoyable dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tapas at CoquetaDolcevitaVIPDined on 9/20/2014We had a reservation for lunch on a Saturday. Disappointed when we were seated at a counter. I expected with a reservation we would have had a table, next time I will request a table. Service was slow to start so when our waitress did come we ordered our cocktails and food at the same time time. The waitress was great and one of the chefs was friendly and gave us some restaurant recommendations for our upcoming trip to Spain.the cocktails and food are fit for a foodie!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!JeanneDined on 9/18/2014The food was awesome and if you should go there the duck and pork meatballs are a Must!Special Features:
- High quality food but pricey!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/17/2014The food was amazing but thank goodness it was on the company. Even for San Francisco, Coqueta is a bit on the pricey side. However, I wouldn't mind the price if the portions were bigger. I do not want to pay $210 unless I leave with a full belly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PickyforareasonVIPDined on 9/14/2014Great atmosphere - casual in a good way with service never rushed but at the side of your table in the blink of an eye if you indicate you need service. We ordered the cheese plated (excellent ham, ripe cheese and membrillo) and paella (40 min wait) first and just kept ordering small plates as we went along and felt like trying more, no problem. Chicken croquetas were crispy on the outside, creamy on the inside, grilled octopus very flavorful, the paella had house-cured chorizo (excellent) and broccoli rabe in addition to the seafood, delicious. Very good selection of Spanish wines, best Alboriño selection I've seen and they even had Manzanilla sherry on the menu. Will go back as there's lots more to try and it was all good.Special Features:
- Not Spanish foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014I am a Spanish native and the food in coqueta is not Spanish. Moreover, the prices are very expensive. Good ingredient quality. Awful paellaSpecial Features:
- Great eveningLittleAcornDined on 9/10/2014We were pleased to be able to book at this restaurant and we had a great time. The food and service was superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful tapas & the best sangriacwpnewpaltzDined on 9/10/2014Great meal. Some of the items we had were repeats of our prior visit several months earlier, some were new things we tried. All were delicious. This is a great place for a delicious Spanish meal.Special Features:
- Currently my favoriteNinerGirlVIPDined on 9/9/2014This is truly a winner. Food, atmosphere and service have been top notch. I've been for lunch and dinner and several times and each time has been excellent. I will absolutely go as often as I get a chance, my standards for Michael Chiarello are set very high now! I hope the restaurant continues on this path.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An absolute gemDavidandPatDined on 9/8/2014Coqueta is perhaps my favorite restaurant in San Francisco, and that obviously says a lot. From the moment you walk in the door, you can tell you are going to have a special evening. The decor and ambiance merely serve to heighten your expectation for the food, and the food doesn't disappoint. Every single thing that I've had at Coqueta is a 10. My only disappointment was that I had notified the restaurant that it was my fiance's special birthday and they said they'd take care of it but that never happened. Oh well, the rest of the experience was terrific.Special Features:
- Run Don't WalkAFungVIPDined on 9/8/2014One word - Delicious. Two words - Barca Gintonic. Its a small tapas type of place so go with friends so you can try EVERYTHING. Great dining experience.Special Features:
- Always a gem.madrilenaDined on 9/5/2014If you have spent any time in Spain, then you appriciate Coqueta. Their food is what you might find in Madrid and Barcelona at some of their top restaurants. Some well done classics, but the focus is on creating new dishes, and these never disappoint. Tapas are small jolts of flavor. The dishes will not fill you up, but they will put a big smile on your face. That's the point. Don't be afraid to order extra dishes. Their paella is probably the best you will find in the Bay area. Maybe anywhere outside of Spain. The wait staff and every other member of the front of house are energetic, friendly, knowledgeable about the food ingredients, and somehow right there when you need something.Special Features:
- Great for Tapas & Drinks!eliza3939Dined on 9/5/2014Loved this tiny place at Embarcadero 5! The tapas menu is extensive and everything we tried was delicious. The gin/tonic was not only beautiful but was probably the best one I've had in years. Highly recommend for a group so you can taste more items. Want to return for dinner when we return in a couple of months.Special Features:
- Take a walk to SpainOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/4/2014If you're walking along the Embarcadero, but feel like taking a short trip to Spain for some tapas, you can't go wrong with the plates at Coqueta. The service was impeccable, with no stall whatsoever as we moved from plate to plate and they have the best patatas bravas I've ever tried (seriously, you'll growl at the servers if they try to take away the spicy, smoky sauce too early).Special Features:
- Great tapas and cocktailsOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/2/2014Food was perfectly delicious. Service was uneven and awkward. It was not busy when we dined, but we assumed since they are always so slammin' busy that leisurely dining, which requires a change of pace for the server, was not well executed. We have dined there before and will go back because of the food and we live in the neighborhood.Special Features:
- Something differentFoodie4VIPDined on 8/31/2014We loved all the tapas and pintxos but found them a little overpriced. The two gin-tonics we tried were terrific! The dining room had wonderfully high ceilings but too bad it didn't have much of a view of the bay.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrific TapasSandrababy67Dined on 8/29/2014Tried six items for two of us - one repeat. Everything we ate was delicious.Special Features:
- Excellent food, excellent service!LuvtodineDined on 8/28/2014Our server made our first experience with Coqueta very enjoyable. We were unsure what to order and how many plates would be sufficient for two diners. We settled on her recommendations and we were not disappointed. But looking at our neighbor diners orders I doubt you would be disappointed with any tapa plate on the menu. Noise level was quite good. I actually like to converse with the person I'm dining with without shouting or repeating myself. I would recommend this restaurant and I can't wait for the next opportunity to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Equisite Food but Hard to Hear :(ImpressedVIPDined on 8/26/2014I would definitely recommend trying Coqueta if you haven't yet been. The Pier 5 location is easy to access, with public parking at Broadway and Embarcadero. Lunch was a treat - flavorful and beautifully presented. We really liked: the deviled eggs with Pimento - they were an exquisite blend of flavors and way more interesting than I could ever describe. The cooked vegetables with raisins and pine nuts, and grilled octopus and fingerling potatoes were also delightful. The atmosphere is rustic and open and interesting... but it's really a shame that as a consequence it's hard to hear. I can see that it would work as a hot spot for after work, but if they reconfigured the interior to allow for intimate conversation... WOW.Special Features:
- Fantastic food and serviceVijayDined on 8/23/2014One of the best meals we've had in a long time - every little dish was made with care and attention to detail. The best tapas in SF!Special Features:
- Best gin and tonicsG8TqueenDined on 8/19/2014These were the best gin and tonics I have ever had, went to well with the food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Word of MouthEugeneDined on 8/19/2014Recommended by a food critic from Texas. Wine menu is not as large as you would expect and fairly limited on wines outside of Spain. He recommended a very good wine and his favorite dishes. They were all amazing including the smoked salmon and the duck. I have a shellfish allergy but folks in my party said the prawns were delicious. I will definitely be back and will be bragging to anyone going to SF.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food and great servicesusiekVIPDined on 8/18/2014Everything we had at Coqueta lived up to the expectations! The small bites were fun and gave a great sample of the food. The meatballs, gambas, and croquetas were all outstanding--I could have eaten double of each of them. The pan con tomate with jamon was also really good. I loved how each of the dishes were light but packed with flavor, making it possible for us to try a number of dishes. We also had the paella, which was an excellent rendition. My favorite part was the grilled asparagus and brocolini. We ended on the perfect sweet note of the churros.Special Features:
- Small bites of heavenLcp705Dined on 8/18/2014Terrific original tapas. Super yummy. But only 1 Chardonnay by the glass in SF is pretty poor offering. Also, service is not up to caliber of food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.